PDA

View Full Version : Wexford Youths Game

Lamper.sffc
16/03/2009, 2:30 PM
I dont want to start saying this is a must win game this early in the season but i do think it is an important one to win.

We havnt had the best of starts so a win would get the club heading back in the right direction.

Does anybody know why Zayed wasnt playing against UCD.

How do some of the Wexford fans feel their side is playing at the moment.(performance wise)

passinginterest
16/03/2009, 3:33 PM
I dont want to start saying this is a must win game this early in the season but i do think it is an important one to win.

We havnt had the best of starts so a win would get the club heading back in the right direction.

How do some of the Wexford fans feel their side is playing at the moment.(performance wise)

Against Shels Youths looked solid for the most part, without offering much in the way of attacking threat, the two goals conceded were sloppy enough, probably as a result of having a new keeper and 3 new players in the back 4. The Waterford performance has been widely described as a big dissappointment, with a very sloppy goal given away early on, conditions on the night were horrendous though so it was never going to be a night of good football.

Aagainst Fingal I think the squad should be stronger, a few that were injured for the Shels game played against Waterford and will be better for that and a couple suspended for the Waterford game will return.

I have a feeling it'll be a good game, a bit like the 2-2 draw there last year. It's already a really vital game for both teams with Youths risking being bottom if they lose and Fingal possibly sitting 8 points behing Shels if they go down.

Being optimistic I'd go for a 2-2 draw, the realist in me expects a Fingal win by 2 clear goals, maybe 3-1.

oldyouth
16/03/2009, 4:06 PM
Pre-season we easily matched 3 premier teams for quality and only let in a dodgy penalty. Against Shels, we were a bit negative and Mick obviously set himself up for a draw. On Friday, in apalling conditions, we were very poor. The team was greatly changed from before due to injuries and suspensions.
Against Fingal, it will all depend on how we learn from Friday and on who we have back.

Lamper.sffc
16/03/2009, 4:57 PM
If we play anywhere like we did against UCD, yous will have a chance. We where terrible. We really did look like a team that hasnt played with each other, which is fair enough but some of the simple mistakes we made where just ridiculous. Anyway ill go for a closely contested match. We will have plenty of the ball but will not know what to do with it and we will get a scrapy goal off someones backside to win 1 nil. I love how optimistic i am:o

It will be the result that will help gell the team though.

Youths4Ever
18/03/2009, 4:27 PM

have to agree with both passinginterest & oldyouth on the review of our performances both sum up our start to the season nicely

If Zayed performance against Waterford was anything to go by probably why he did not play against UCD. When Doyle replaced Zayed against Waterford Fingal looked a much better team

Lamper.sffc
18/03/2009, 5:41 PM
have to agree with both passinginterest & oldyouth on the review of our performances both sum up our start to the season nicely

If Zayed performance against Waterford was anything to go by probably why he did not play against UCD. When Doyle replaced Zayed against Waterford Fingal looked a much better team

It must have been really bad. He wasnt even on the bench

Schumi
18/03/2009, 6:02 PM
I thought Zayed was injured for the game against us.

Lamper.sffc
19/03/2009, 9:10 AM
I thought Zayed was injured for the game against us.

I presumed that myself. Didnt hear anything official though

TheFingallian
19/03/2009, 12:35 PM
Heard someone say Buckley was blaming the weather for the UCD performance. Weather will be dry for this game though so we shall see if he was telling the truth. Hopefully the fog stays away...

Youths4Ever
19/03/2009, 2:39 PM
It must have been really bad. He wasnt even on the bench

His performance was not that bad to not be on bench as said probably injured

Lamper.sffc
20/03/2009, 9:12 AM
O Neil and Paisley out of tonight's game due to injury

Also confirmed on Sporting Fingal website, that Zayed had a hip problem for last weeks game but is available for tonights game. So i guess it will be a strikeforce of Robbie Doyle and Zayed.

passinginterest
20/03/2009, 9:15 AM
Sitting in work blinding people with my pink jersey on :D Looking forward to a really good game tonight.

Youths have none of their five first choice strikers available so it'll be interesting to see who get's lumped up front.

Lamper.sffc
20/03/2009, 10:19 AM
Sitting in work blinding people with my pink jersey on :D Looking forward to a really good game tonight.

Youths have none of their five first choice strikers available so it'll be interesting to see who get's lumped up front.

Oh yeah. Thats for charity isnt it, No wait a minute:p:D

TheFingallian
20/03/2009, 1:57 PM

Bloody hell! Sounds like betting on Wexford to fail to score might be of interest.

passinginterest
20/03/2009, 2:54 PM
Bloody hell! Sounds like betting on Wexford to fail to score might be of interest.

It's hard to know to be honest. Wallace might call up someone from the under 18 squad, although the best player from that is on international schools duty, or he might play someone like Conor Sinnott up front, who would be capable of doing a job, or possibly throw one of the big lads up there to try and do a Gary Doherty type role. Wallace is so unpredictable we might just play a 5-5 formation and not bother with forwards at all.

oldyouth
20/03/2009, 4:02 PM
Word is it could be Conor up front. But you would get very poor odds on us to score 0:(
Good man Passing, get your pink out for the boys!!!!!

Lamper.sffc
21/03/2009, 1:38 AM
thank god. A win
Not the best first half. We where looking really bad until we got the goal. What a goal though. Great work from kirby with a nice finish from Zayed.
The second half was a lot better from us. While not perfect we did show at times what this team is capable of. Great performances from Kirby and Byrne at the back. Wexford looked like a team without any strikers. Hard luck to the youths but they never looked like scoring

oldyouth
21/03/2009, 8:39 AM
I know it is an old excuse but our injury list would make a fine team. We will be more competitive when they come back.
Debut for Mullen up front, straight from the U18s and Kelly playing out of position (IMO) alongside.
That's the 3 title favourites out of the way for a while, so now a chance to make progress

Lamper.sffc
21/03/2009, 9:50 AM
I know it is an old excuse but our injury list would make a fine team. We will be more competitive when they come back.
Debut for Mullen up front, straight from the U18s and Kelly playing out of position (IMO) alongside.
That's the 3 title favourites out of the way for a while, so now a chance to make progress

Its considered an old excuse but its still a valid one to be fair. You looked like a team missing players. It wasnt the same quality you showed the last time at Morton.

Splurge
21/03/2009, 9:56 AM
Our season starts now really, really frustrating that we have so many forwards ruled out. Fresh start v Longford on Friday.

passinginterest
21/03/2009, 10:30 AM
It was a fairly poor game again. Both teams looked very nervous in the first half, and Fingal scored at the perfect time, Anto Russell went forward from right back, should have put the ball into the box but lost possession, somehow, considering we never seemed to have many forward, Kirby got the ball with no Wexford midfield in sight and Russell caught up the field, leaving Fingal running 3v3 at the defence, a lot around me thought Zayed was offside when it eventually reached him. If Youths can get the strongest eleven on the pitch they have the potential to be very good, sadly that's miles off at the moment, Breen and McGrath look like they could be the best centre half pairing it the division, they dominated Zayed and Doyle throughout. Our midfield was very disappointing, never commanded the ball and they needed to be on top with so little up front.

Fingal have one of the fattest teams I've ever seen, so many players looked like they were carrying about a half stone, maybe a case of premier division players thinking the first is going to be easy? In the second half Fingal put together a bit more football but they'll need to improve a whole lot if they plan on winning this division.

Fingal Fan
21/03/2009, 11:37 AM
A win at last ! . Thought the 1st half was woeful stuff with the Youths doing well to put pressure on the ball forcing our lads to go long and lose possession . Goal came at perfect time and the 2nd half was better football . Alan Kirby really shone last night but I thought Robbie Doyle was totally wasted in the wide position - can Doyle and Zayed be effective together ? . The Youths never looked like scoring and there will be bigger tests ahead but great to get the 3 pts and start moving up the table .

Youths4Ever
21/03/2009, 12:06 PM
not making excuses better team won on the night we created very little going forward but are the plans in place to do something about the pitch.

There was so much sand I should have brought my bucket and spade :D
I realise pitches have to be sanded etc but that was a bit much sand ball did not even bounce true on certain areas of the pitch

Martinho II
21/03/2009, 1:48 PM
lads was last night alan kirbys debut for fingal??did paisley play at all?

BillytheFin
21/03/2009, 7:41 PM
lads was last night alan kirbys debut for fingal??did paisley play at all?
Kirby made his league debut away to waterford.
Paisley has n't played in league yet(not fully fit).

oldyouth
22/03/2009, 9:14 AM
highlights of the game are on the home page of the supporters club website www.wexfordyouthsfcsc.com

Lamper.sffc
22/03/2009, 12:32 PM
It was a fairly poor game again. Both teams looked very nervous in the first half, and Fingal scored at the perfect time, Anto Russell went forward from right back, should have put the ball into the box but lost possession, somehow, considering we never seemed to have many forward, Kirby got the ball with no Wexford midfield in sight and Russell caught up the field, leaving Fingal running 3v3 at the defence, a lot around me thought Zayed was offside when it eventually reached him. If Youths can get the strongest eleven on the pitch they have the potential to be very good, sadly that's miles off at the moment, Breen and McGrath look like they could be the best centre half pairing it the division, they dominated Zayed and Doyle throughout. Our midfield was very disappointing, never commanded the ball and they needed to be on top with so little up front.

Fingal have one of the fattest teams I've ever seen, so many players looked like they were carrying about a half stone, maybe a case of premier division players thinking the first is going to be easy? In the second half Fingal put together a bit more football but they'll need to improve a whole lot if they plan on winning this division.

Zayed was onside in fairness.
The youths fans wouldnt be at the best angle to be able to tell if he was on or not. I was down that end and he was on.

Youths4Ever
22/03/2009, 12:38 PM
The youths fans wouldnt be at the best angle to be able to tell if he was on or not. I was down that end and he was on.

Yeah in fairness on the video he is onside.

How is the player who was stretched off?
How much does the stand hold while full?

passinginterest
22/03/2009, 12:41 PM

I thought he was on too and looking at the video he's well on. Highlights really show how few good chances there was in the game.