PDA

View Full Version : Big Mick Wolves team - Irish players

Pages : [1] 2

Jacktheman
16/03/2009, 12:56 AM
with the big man doing great stuff with Wolves if and when Wolves go up
how many of the Irish players will make the step up in fairness to Mick he tends to give the Irish lads the best chance than most managers

Umberside
16/03/2009, 8:30 AM
Andy Keogh has the best chance of stepping up.

youngirish
16/03/2009, 9:22 AM
Andy Keogh has the best chance of stepping up.

Andy Keogh has about as much chance of making it in the Premiership as I do.

Of the Wolves Irish players only Foley is Premiership standard. Young Gleeson is a decent player but could do with a few seasons regular football in the Championship before trying his hand in the Premiership. However at present he's a bit of an unknown quantity.

Ward is only a good Championship player IMO. He could possibly be a poor Premiership player as is the case with Glenn Whelan but I don't see him ever being a regular in a decent Premiership team.

Keogh is an average Championship player at best. Nowhere near strong, quick or clinical enough to be anywhere near the Premiership in this lifetime.

As for Darren Potter utter muck.

Even if they get promoted I see Wolves being the equivalent in the Premiership next season of Sunderland a few years ago under McCarthy i.e. sh*t.

OwlsFan
16/03/2009, 9:30 AM

You play Championship football :eek:

Of the Wolves Irish players only Foley is Premiership standard.

Good player ok. Hope he makes it.

As for Darren Potter utter muck..

Playing for Wednesday at the moment but after a bright start, fading rapidly.

Even if they get promoted I see Wolves being the equivalent in the Premiership next season of Sunderland a few years ago under McCarthy i.e. sh*t.

Depends on whether he gets money like his bete noir did. If not, they will struggle like WBA, Stoke and more recently Hull have done.

Umberside
16/03/2009, 9:31 AM

Of the Wolves Irish players only Foley is Premiership standard. Young Gleeson is a decent player but could do with a few seasons regular football in the Championship before trying his hand in the Premiership. However at present he's a bit of an unknown quantity.

Ward is only a good Championship player IMO. He could possibly be a poor Premiership player as is the case with Glenn Whelan but I don't see him ever being a regular in a decent Premiership team.

Keogh is an average Championship player at best. Nowhere near strong, quick or clinical enough to be anywhere near the Premiership in this lifetime.

As for Darren Potter utter muck.

I don't think Wolves would do the Premier League any good. Hopefully they won't take the chance to get promoted, Birmingham and Reading would be better and have a big Irish group in them.

What I would really like to see in the Premier League though is Keith Fahey, not Andy Keogh.

youngirish
16/03/2009, 9:51 AM
I don't think Wolves would do the Premier League any good. Hopefully they won't take the chance to get promoted, Birmingham and Reading would be better and have a big Irish group in them.

What I would really like to see in the Premier League though is Keith Fahey, not Andy Keogh.

I think they probably will get promoted man but at least Foley then gets the chance to shine in a decent league in the right back position that has become a problem position for us in recent years. Hopefully if he takes that chance he should be picked up by someone better if Wolves get relegated.

I'd like to see Wolves, Birmingham and Sheffield United get promoted from the Championship this season as I think Hunt and Doyle will be bought by a Premiership team anyway if Reading fail in their promotion bid while Ward, Fahey, Gleeson and Keogh probably won't get an opportunity to play in the Premiership unless Wolves and Birmingham go up.

As for Sheffield United? A central midfield pairing of S Quinn and O'Toole would be great to see in the Premiership next season.

OwlsFan
16/03/2009, 10:22 AM
I think Hunt and Doyle will be bought by a Premiership team anyway if Reading fail in their promotion bid

No bids for them (neither of the two Hunts or Doyle) during the transfer window. I wouldn't be too sure they're high on anyone's shopping list unless Wolves went up. Mick might have an interest in them then.

Umberside
16/03/2009, 10:24 AM
I expect if Reading don't automatically qualify they will win the Play-Offs.

OwlsFan
18/03/2009, 9:45 AM
WOuldn't be too sure of that. Some good teams in the play off zone at the moment, including Sheff Utd and Cardiff and Reading, despite the win last night, have been struggling of late.

Den Perry
18/03/2009, 10:34 AM
how many of the Irish players will make the step up in fairness to Mick he tends to give the Irish lads the best chance than most managers

Great stuff? wouldn't agree with that

Dr. Ogba
18/03/2009, 11:58 AM
I think they probably will get promoted man but at least Foley then gets the chance to shine in a decent league in the right back position that has become a problem position for us in recent years. Hopefully if he takes that chance he should be picked up by someone better if Wolves get relegated.

I'd like to see Wolves, Birmingham and Sheffield United get promoted from the Championship this season as I think Hunt and Doyle will be bought by a Premiership team anyway if Reading fail in their promotion bid while Ward, Fahey, Gleeson and Keogh probably won't get an opportunity to play in the Premiership unless Wolves and Birmingham go up.

As for Sheffield United? A central midfield pairing of S Quinn and O'Toole would be great to see in the Premiership next season.

while it would be great to see, I think it could be a bit too soon for both of those players, and in Quinn's case, I just think he's far too much of a shortarse to cut it at the top level in centre midfield...he'd have to be accomodated along the lines of Stephen Ireland (i.e behind the front 2 or 1) and from what I've seen just dont think he's good enough...

high hopes for O'Toole though...

geysir
13/04/2009, 4:29 PM
Looking very good for Mick and Wolves now.
I listened to the end of the game against Derby, the winner was headed home by Andy Keyhole.

It was surreal to hear the Wolves fans loudly sing out, 'na na na naah ... Keeowe'.
Maybe one day Ireland fans will be doing the same:)

richieos
13/04/2009, 5:16 PM
people are talking about keogh struggling physically in the premiership, but thats what his problem in the championship is in my opinion.. the championship is a much more physical league than the premiership so i think keogh would be far more effective in a good premiership team

geysir
13/04/2009, 5:53 PM
Mick spoke very highly about Keogh after the game. He praised him to the hilt, not so much for his ability but about his first class attitude since falling a notch or two down the striker pecking order, in Mick's terminology 'getting his nose put out of joint'.

Stuttgart88
13/04/2009, 7:49 PM
the winner was headed home by Andy Keyhole. He scored a good first goal too I read, a shot from 20 yards.

amaccann
13/04/2009, 8:12 PM
I like Keogh & think he could be a useful squad player for Ireland who would keep those above in the pecking order honest. It's a shame that his competitive debut was such a disaster as for many people that's going to be their standard of criticism for him.

Stuttgart88
13/04/2009, 9:22 PM
I'd hope that most recognise that he was played out of position.

John83
13/04/2009, 9:37 PM
I'd hope that most recognise that he was played out of position.
Yeah, I think people generally know that he's not a right winger. It won't (and shouldn't) stop them moaning about his poor performances there but unfortunately some people will actually write him off prematurely over it.

amaccann
13/04/2009, 9:45 PM
Yeah, I think people generally know that he's not a right winger. It won't (and shouldn't) stop them moaning about his poor performances there but unfortunately some people will actually write him off prematurely over it.
I would put 20 euro on Dunphy having a go at Keogh the next time he features for Ireland, as a sub or starter & will base it on that Bari performance.

John83
13/04/2009, 10:07 PM
I would put 20 euro on Dunphy having a go at Keogh the next time he features for Ireland, as a sub or starter & will base it on that Bari performance.
If he's being played on the right, is that really so bad? If he's played up front, I'd agree with you.

amaccann
13/04/2009, 11:01 PM
If he's being played on the right, is that really so bad? If he's played up front, I'd agree with you.
Well yes of course, if Keogh is playing on the right again; but regardless, dunphy won't let it go

Emmet7
13/04/2009, 11:16 PM
Fair play to Mick....I was always a big fan of Mick to be honest...none of this running behind people's backs to tell tales or sniping at people.

Mick is a man's man and soccer is a man's game, sometimes played by women...

I watched the interview with Schillachi there lately and he was complaining about being elbowed in the face by an Irish player...I was thinking it could only be Big Mick and sure enough when they showed the clip it was Big Mick...

That's the kind of player Ireland needs...someone who knows how to give a sneaky elbow to the opposition's skillful players and show them who's boss.

An under-rated player and under-rated manager...he did a job for Ireland on more than one occassion and didn't run home from the world cup when things weren't going his way...

As for Dunphy he's a man whose analysis of the game is blighted by his many chips and agendas...it was laughable how he does down Keogh yet when Folan was brought on, he says replacing Keogh with Folan, are you serious? Classic! Folan practically beat the Italians on his own while Keogh nearly lost it for us.

Ah agendas are a great thing, they make you see things you want to see, rather than what is actually there.

Manc Irish Wolf
14/04/2009, 12:10 AM
Interesting to read some of the views on my beloved Wanderers, as well as the regular misinformed sh**e from the usual quarters (Ciaran, Young Irish & Umberside - do remind me how many times you have watched the Wolves this season to formulate such detailed opinions?).

Absolutely buzzing about the result today and overjoyed for Keogh, who has finally got the goals that his performances have deserved. Details of our sizeable Irish contingent below:

Andy Keogh - With our 3 top scorers out the pressure was on and the Kid has delivered. Clinical strikes today and resounding Man of the Match, after a good performance on Friday. Greatest attribute is his intellingent runs and link up play (often not seen on TV) coupled with his Pace (which he has got) and control. Was a fans favourite when he first came with some immense performances, however his lack of goals (and possibly nationality) made him the subject of the boo boys. His strength and braveness has improved across the season and will increase further as he fills out. Totally agree with Richieos that he will probably fare better in the Premiership as any one who saw the Birmingham game can see how frantic and ugly it is - which is something which Nigel Quashie said recently and a likely reason why Trap has shown so much faith in him. In summary a very good footballer who has every chance of going all the way of he bulks up and believes in himself and his goalscoring ability a bit more.

Kevin Foley - Absolute quality - Next Dennis Irwin - Should have been capped a lot earlier. Known as Mr Consistent for his persistently strong performances (not just in spells, Ciaran). Great tackling, distribution, attacking ability, engine and composure under pressure. The fact that he is regularly touted as Player of the Season against the 24 goal highest scorer in the division speaks volumes as can be seen on the link attached (which also features Ward a few times). Can't wait to see him playing regularly in an Ireland Shirt which is only a matter of time.

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=38229

Stephen Ward - Without a doubt our most improved player of the year. Recently reverted to Left Back after a transition from Striker then left wing. Strong, good passing and attacks well, slightly lacking in confidence recently which has resulted in his demotion to the bench to steady the ship. Came on and helped change the game today and while still has a bit to learn defensively still has a chance if his progression this year is anything to go by. Certainly no worse than Kilbane or Delaney.

Stephen Gleeson - Year left on his contract and loaned out to MK Dons. Ability to find space in the middle of the park is instantly striking. Good passing and cocky enough, but worry about his lack of stature which might hamper him in the land of the giants that is the Premiership. McCarthy recommended him to Staunton for his call up so has faith in him - so it remains to be seen.

John Dunleavy - Ireland U17 Centre Half and Captain and tipped to be the next big thing on the Molineux production line. Meant to be highly intelligent and reads the game well. Turned down Man U and Celtic to join us and recently voted the Academy player of the Season. Would expect to see him loaned out next season and vying for contantion in a couple of years time.

Other Academy Players - Mark Connolly is Dunleavys defensive partner for Ireland and the Wolves academy and meant to be a solid defender - also we have also just signed up a Young Irish Lad on next years YTS who all the big clubs were chasing.

Finally, Mick - Has done an astounding job in assembling a young and hungry bunch of promising footballers from the lower leagues who are now on the verge of promotion. We were tipped for relegation in some quarters when he first came a couple of seasons ago before over-achieving with a range of free-transfers and cheap buys (Kightly £20K, Foley £250K and Keogh £600K). After missing out on the play-offs after the Freddie Eastwood Saga we have been top nearly all season and with the grace of God will be promoted next Saturday. Frustrating at times, his team selection and substitutions of late have been top quality and you can see that his experience is beginning to take shape as he is continually learning. Would definitely not be averse to him managing Ireland again in the future as he is still developing as a manager. Few opinions from the fans attached:

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=38267

The Future - Whereas, we are by no means the finished article or the perfect team, the players, along with the manager are developing and with £400 million of Steve Morgan's Wealth behind him there is no reason why McCarthy can't use his biggest talent in buying astutely and keep us up. We have already been linked to James McCarthy & JJ O'Toole and I would be overjoyed if he maintains his Irish recuitment policy by adding Doyle, Hunt, O'Dea, McCann and Garvan to the ranks (all of whom would not be unfeasible targets).

On another note, I can't believe that some would not want us to get there (Umberside) - Irrespective of any other teams Irish Players, Wolves have an Irish manager and the most Irish players which would surely benefit us as a whole. Forget the fallout with the first egotistical Mr Manchester, McCarthy was always a player and manager who displayed heart for Ireland and took us to one penalty kick from the Quarter Finals of the World Cup, which would have equalled our greatest feat to date. Personally, I think the least he deserves is our support.

Up the Wolves!

geysir
14/04/2009, 9:22 AM
Very good write up Manc Wolf.

Mick calm and with sarcastic humour in the post game interview, pretty much said Wolves played cráp. After Derby took the lead in 2nd half, Mick came out with his sarcastic observation 'they just keep coming' 'maybe they wanted to rub our noses in it' 'we made the changes and hit them'

They had us beat fair and square but I took it personal when it looked like they tried to humiliate us. When Mick refers to a setback or some humiliation he uses the nose as a point of reference :)

Scram
14/04/2009, 9:47 AM

What :confused: I thought Sunderland was the Irish team in England!.....oh yes, that's right, Roy is gone so that fallacy is no longer....Niall Quinn is not Irish of course!

I do agree re. Mick McCarthy though in fairness to Keane, he did make an effort with Irish players albeit wasting money on the likes of Miller and Connolly.

youngirish
14/04/2009, 9:49 AM
Interesting to read some of the views on my beloved Wanderers, as well as the regular misinformed sh**e from the usual quarters (Ciaran, Young Irish & Umberside - do remind me how many times you have watched the Wolves this season to formulate such detailed opinions?).

Absolutely buzzing about the result today and overjoyed for Keogh, who has finally got the goals that his performances have deserved. Details of our sizeable Irish contingent below:

Andy Keogh - With our 3 top scorers out the pressure was on and the Kid has delivered. Clinical strikes today and resounding Man of the Match, after a good performance on Friday. Greatest attribute is his intellingent runs and link up play (often not seen on TV) coupled with his Pace (which he has got) and control. Was a fans favourite when he first came with some immense performances, however his lack of goals (and possibly nationality) made him the subject of the boo boys. His strength and braveness has improved across the season and will increase further as he fills out. Totally agree with Richieos that he will probably fare better in the Premiership as any one who saw the Birmingham game can see how frantic and ugly it is - which is something which Nigel Quashie said recently and a likely reason why Trap has shown so much faith in him. In summary a very good footballer who has every chance of going all the way of he bulks up and believes in himself and his goalscoring ability a bit more.

Kevin Foley - Absolute quality - Next Dennis Irwin - Should have been capped a lot earlier. Known as Mr Consistent for his persistently strong performances (not just in spells, Ciaran). Great tackling, distribution, attacking ability, engine and composure under pressure. The fact that he is regularly touted as Player of the Season against the 24 goal highest scorer in the division speaks volumes as can be seen on the link attached (which also features Ward a few times). Can't wait to see him playing regularly in an Ireland Shirt which is only a matter of time.

Stephen Ward - Without a doubt our most improved player of the year. Recently reverted to Left Back after a transition from Striker then left wing. Strong, good passing and attacks well, slightly lacking in confidence recently which has resulted in his demotion to the bench to steady the ship. Came on and helped change the game today and while still has a bit to learn defensively still has a chance if his progression this year is anything to go by. Certainly no worse than Kilbane or Delaney.

Stephen Gleeson - Year left on his contract and loaned out to MK Dons. Ability to find space in the middle of the park is instantly striking. Good passing and cocky enough, but worry about his lack of stature which might hamper him in the land of the giants that is the Premiership. McCarthy recommended him to Staunton for his call up so has faith in him - so it remains to be seen.

John Dunleavy - Ireland U17 Centre Half and Captain and tipped to be the next big thing on the Molineux production line. Meant to be highly intelligent and reads the game well. Turned down Man U and Celtic to join us and recently voted the Academy player of the Season. Would expect to see him loaned out next season and vying for contantion in a couple of years time.

Other Academy Players - Mark Connolly is Dunleavys defensive partner for Ireland and the Wolves academy and meant to be a solid defender - also we have also just signed up a Young Irish Lad on next years YTS who all the big clubs were chasing.

Finally, Mick - Has done an astounding job in assembling a young and hungry bunch of promising footballers from the lower leagues who are now on the verge of promotion. We were tipped for relegation in some quarters when he first came a couple of seasons ago before over-achieving with a range of free-transfers and cheap buys (Kightly £20K, Foley £250K and Keogh £600K). After missing out on the play-offs after the Freddie Eastwood Saga we have been top nearly all season and with the grace of God will be promoted next Saturday. Frustrating at times, his team selection and substitutions of late have been top quality and you can see that his experience is beginning to take shape as he is continually learning. Would definitely not be averse to him managing Ireland again in the future as he is still developing as a manager. Few opinions from the fans attached:

The Future - Whereas, we are by no means the finished article or the perfect team, the players, along with the manager are developing and with £400 million of Steve Morgan's Wealth behind him there is no reason why McCarthy can't use his biggest talent in buying astutely and keep us up. We have already been linked to James McCarthy & JJ O'Toole and I would be overjoyed if he maintains his Irish recuitment policy by adding Doyle, Hunt, O'Dea, McCann and Garvan to the ranks (all of whom would not be unfeasible targets).

On another note, I can't believe that some would not want us to get there (Umberside) - Irrespective of any other teams Irish Players, Wolves have an Irish manager and the most Irish players which would surely benefit us as a whole. Forget the fallout with the first egotistical Mr Manchester, McCarthy was always a player and manager who displayed heart for Ireland and took us to one penalty kick from the Quarter Finals of the World Cup, which would have equalled our greatest feat to date. Personally, I think the least he deserves is our support.

Up the Wolves!
If anything has been shown with the passage of time on this site it's that my take on things turns out to be correct a lot more than the rubbish that you like to post. Weren't you singing Darren Potter's praises a short time ago when I correctly stated he was sh*t?

Yes Keogh had a good game the other day so I suppose that makes up for the fact he's been generally rubbish this season? Just forget the 43 games that went before and we'll all just agree that he's brilliant now. Typical foot.ie, ill-informed tripe. How many goals does he have again this season? 6 in 44 appearances for a striker? Good return that. He won't feature in the Premiership next season after Christmas (if at all) because he's a poor player. How many rubbish Championship players have turned out to be decent in the Premiership over the years? Do some of you people even watch football?

Just because somebody with obviously more knowledge than you doesn't agree with your biased agenda doesn't make them misinformed. Especially when they are right. It just makes you look silly.

Only Foley and possibly at a future date Gleeson are players that I would get excited about in the Wolves squad at the moment. (I'm not counting youth players because they are too young to make a judgement). None of the rest will turn out to be good enough to make a career for themselves in the Premiership and therefore should not be good enough for Ireland. Wolves are guaranteed relegation fodder next season unless they buy in at least 7 or 8 decent Premiership first team players. Watch, wait and learn though I fear you and many others on here are a lost cause in this regard.

Clueless.

Emmet7
14/04/2009, 11:30 AM
Agreed it's a very big step up to the premiership especially for strikers.

Most championship defenders are poor enough and that makes it easy for strikers.

In the premiership you are up against champions league level players week in week out.

I have no doubt Mick is a good manager but unfortunately the teams he has had and have when they get to the premiership just don't have the cash to sustain themselves.

I wish Wolves well and I hope the do well in the premiership next year.

Umberside
14/04/2009, 12:21 PM

Up the Wolves!

Wolves are a very good team, I expected them to do a Cardiff City but Mick has made them very strong mentally and from looking at results they've come back and won in a lot of matches this season which would be very handy in the Premier League.

Stuttgart88
14/04/2009, 12:36 PM
Clueless.
bang out of order in my opinion.

We all make observations and predictions about emerging Irish layers, some wrong, some right. You don't have a monopoly on commenting on young Irish players in England though you like to think you're some kind of prophet.

Whenever you don't agree with someone you attack them as being clueless or with some other trite remark. There's scope for varying opinion here though you don't appear to like it.

Stuttgart88
14/04/2009, 12:42 PM
I saw Keogh's goals on TV this morning. The first was excellent, a difficult volley over his shoulder from a high dropping ball. Not unlike Zizou's famous goal for Real Madrid at Hampden Park. If Torres had scored it the watching press would have creamed themselves!

I hope Keogh does well though he still has a lot to do. He's a classic UK style number 10, not the nombre dix that Dodge referred to recently describing the classic French playmaker, but the skillful guy who plays of a UK style number 9. Not unlike Keane.

Wrt Manc's comment about his control, unfortunately it was a very poor touch that cost Ireland the goal conceded in Italy. I hope that was an aberration. Not his fault he was picked wide right when even Shane Long has looked more comfortable than him in that position perviously, albeit in a brief appearance vs. Poland. He won a penalty from that position I think.

youngirish
14/04/2009, 1:21 PM
bang out of order in my opinion.

We all make observations and predictions about emerging Irish layers, some wrong, some right. You don't have a monopoly on commenting on young Irish players in England though you like to think you're some kind of prophet.

Whenever you don't agree with someone you attack them as being clueless or with some other trite remark. There's scope for varying opinion here though you don't appear to like it.

Nice one, now apply that logic to his original post that slated me which you seem to have ignored in your rant. When people with an obvious bias post their drivel I'll pull them up over it, especially if I'm referenced in that same dispatch.

Yes we do all make observations and predictions about emerging Irish players but many such predictions from certain posters are based on the player's previous 1 or 2 games only with no obvious understanding or consideration given to why such a player had been so poor for the majority of their career beforehand.

The people singing the praises of Alex Bruce and Darren Potter after the trip to the US a few years ago are the perfect example of the silly, reactionary hyperbole that seems to prevail on this site.

Stuttgart88
14/04/2009, 1:42 PM
I always like to give credit where it's due and thought Potter deserved credit after that tour.

Manc's posts are based on watching Wolves week in, week out. That's why I pay attention to them, even if there's a natural green or amber tint to his opinions. His enthusiasm and friendly / non-confrontational tone are big assets to this site.

Bungle
14/04/2009, 1:48 PM

Up the Wolves!

Thanks a million for that!Yeah I've heard that Dunleavy is a really special player.Hopefully he and Connolly make the step up.

Razors left peg
15/04/2009, 2:58 PM
Nice one, now apply that logic to his original post that slated me which you seem to have ignored in your rant. When people with an obvious bias post their drivel I'll pull them up over it, especially if I'm referenced in that same dispatch.

Yes we do all make observations and predictions about emerging Irish players but many such predictions from certain posters are based on the player's previous 1 or 2 games only with no obvious understanding or consideration given to why such a player had been so poor for the majority of their career beforehand.

The people singing the praises of Alex Bruce and Darren Potter after the trip to the US a few years ago are the perfect example of the silly, reactionary hyperbole that seems to prevail on this site.

Why was it silly to suggest that Potter looked like an excellent prospect after that tour, he played very well over there.

back of the net
18/04/2009, 4:48 PM
Wolves 1 - QPR 0 F.T result - Mick and the irish lads at wolves are officially in the premiership next season

Delighted for Mick - well deserved.

Rebel11
18/04/2009, 5:10 PM
Now lets see if he can keep them in the premiership for over a year.

geysir
18/04/2009, 5:27 PM
It doesn't take long before the talk is of coming straight back down.
Their honeymoon hasn't even started yet.

Let them first enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done in adverse circumstances.

amaccann
18/04/2009, 6:26 PM
Yeah, they've only just gained promotion and already the snarky comments about Mick come out. Charming. Well done to McCarthy though

Superhoops
18/04/2009, 6:34 PM
Delighted for Mick.

A really sound and honest bloke who gave his all for Ireland both as a player and a manager. When the Trap era ends I would be happy to see Mick back as manager.

The Legend
18/04/2009, 7:29 PM
oh yeah? you think he'd be able to get a certain cork fella that wont play back to the team ;)

Superhoops
18/04/2009, 8:02 PM
oh yeah? you think he'd be able to get a certain cork fella that wont play back to the team ;)

I am sure he'd be happy to consider any cork fella who actually said he wanted to play for Ireland.

geysir
18/04/2009, 10:27 PM
Correction - any cork fella who actually said he wanted to play for Ireland and would turn up.

irishfan86
19/04/2009, 7:27 AM
Happy for Mick- as mentioned wouldn't mind him managing us again at some point.

OwlsFan
19/04/2009, 10:48 AM
Happy for Mick- as mentioned wouldn't mind him managing us again at some point.

There's an old cliche in football: "never go back". Seldom works to be honest, and why would he? People spitting at him and banging at the window of the bus he was on because of the S thing. Hounded out.

Hope Wolves do well in the top flight but we won't see him managing his country again. The thought of the Panel with their knives out for him once again has put me off my breakfast.

Stuttgart88
19/04/2009, 12:21 PM
Delighted for Mick & the Irish lads at Wolves, not to mention Manc Irish Wolf. Well done all. It seems like Keogh had a good game yesterday, making SEB's goal for him. Nice to see Keogh being instrumental getting them over the finish line.

Second time Mick has got promoted (in all likelihood twice winning that division) - a great feat given that he has done so both times on limited finance and through intelligent buying. Not a blemish free season - there was a colossal wobble that they survived only because everyone else had a colossal wobble too!

In the past Mick has been very fair and very loyal to those who have done well for him. I think Wolves will need reinforcements and I think he's going to have to be tough on some of those who may not be up to the task. I hope, like MIW suggested, that Mick makes moves for the likes of O'Dea, Garvan etc. but I think some wise old heads will be needed.

irishultra
19/04/2009, 12:46 PM
Congrats to Mick, Wardy, Foley and Andy Keogh.

And I'd definetly have Mick McCarthy back. It does actually work, look at Fatih Terim for Turkey.

EastTerracer
19/04/2009, 1:40 PM
Delighted for Mick. Given the limited finances available at Wolves this is a tremendous achievment.

It is depressing that the promotion merits only a very cursory mention in the Irish media compared with Sunderland's promotion two years ago.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Saipan issue it is a shame that people seem to regard McCarthy as a "second class" Irishman of some kind. To me, he was one of the most passionate players and managers we have ever had (although he'd admit himself he was never the most skillful player in the world).

I still have the video of the interview he gave after the defeat to Italy in 1990 (still sweating in his kit). He was raging and continued to repeat that "we should have won this whole bloody tournament". No one Irish player has a monopoly on having that "winning mentality".

Hope Wolves stay up next season and that Mick gets the credit he's due.

TerryPhelan
19/04/2009, 2:30 PM
I still have the video of the interview he gave after the defeat to Italy in 1990 (still sweating in his kit). He was raging and continued to repeat that "we should have won this whole bloody tournament". No one Irish player has a monopoly on having that "winning mentality".

Never saw that footage and would love to watch it: any idea if it's accessible online anywhere? 1990 was three years before my love affair with footy began so sadly most of that tournament passed me by in my childish ignorance...

EastTerracer
19/04/2009, 3:04 PM
Never saw that footage and would love to watch it: any idea if it's accessible online anywhere? 1990 was three years before my love affair with footy began so sadly most of that tournament passed me by in my childish ignorance...

I don't think I've ever seen it on TV other than the night of the game itself. I have a box full of VHS tapes back in Dublin covering most of the games from 1986 to 2002. I know The Worm has a thread here about converting old tapes into digital format and that is something I would like to do at some point. I'll be back in Dublin for the two home games in October so I'll see if I can dig out some of the original footage and transfer it.

amaccann
19/04/2009, 6:13 PM
Yeah, that sounds like something we could all enjoy if somehow an enterprising chap managed to put it onto youTube :D