PDA

View Full Version : Why is GAA players good at Football

Jacktheman
15/03/2009, 10:28 PM
Most of us will haved played or have played astro football and any time there is a some one on the team with Gaa jersey, shorts or whatever they are usually the best players strength speed and no shortage of skill, yet the football lads with the football jersey are usually the worst .In fairness most of the GAA heads might play football in the close season some of there strength and speed is unreal particular the intercounty lads ...

MariborKev
15/03/2009, 10:57 PM
Strength and speed possibly.

First touch is universally awful.

Rovers1
15/03/2009, 11:17 PM
I find playing with the GAA lads that they have a tendency to run with their heads down, down the line and usually kick the ball too far ahead of themselves, therefore running out of ground. They're usually the quickest lads on the pitch too coz they're the fittest and dont drink because they have a big Championship game on in 7 months time. Im not a great footballer, but i do like a tackle, so i usually just give 'em a good kick. But mind you the GAA lads are hardy bucks, so it takes a good studs up tackle to take them down ;)

Jacktheman
15/03/2009, 11:47 PM
i am not a fan of the GAA but in all fairness they are pretty skillfull they will give ye hard hits and some dirty ones too pretending they didnt mean it :p

Sheridan
15/03/2009, 11:51 PM
Gah "players" are completely unsuited to football, because a good 70% of football is about intelligence.

Dodge
16/03/2009, 12:20 AM
What is the ****ing point of this thread? The best player you play astro with also plays gaelic football and the rest of them are ****?

Jesus ****ing Christ...

Jacktheman
16/03/2009, 12:45 AM
dodge just something i have notice since playing astro this last few years ... so relax take a wee chill pill there like a good wee lad

strangeirish
16/03/2009, 2:57 AM
Why is GAA players good at Football
Because they go to grammar school?

reder
16/03/2009, 8:03 AM
What is the ****ing point of this thread? The best player you play astro with also plays gaelic football and the rest of them are ****?

Jesus ****ing Christ...

Thanks Dodge. What a pile of nonsense for a thread.

Torn-Ado
16/03/2009, 10:08 PM
Gah "players" are completely unsuited to football, because a good 70% of football is about intelligence.

And footballers are renowned for their intelligence?

Dodge
16/03/2009, 11:49 PM
And footballers are renowned for their intelligence?

Well there's a sporting intelligence that comes with playing the game 3/4 times a week since you were 8...

bennocelt
17/03/2009, 7:12 AM
last time I played football with gah heads I ran rings around them - despite them been county players and me overweight
Sure they had the pace and were rough - but had zero skills, and found it hard to shoot straight

endabob1
17/03/2009, 7:42 AM
When I were a lad, the better footie players were also good Gaa players but as you get older the skill sets required change so you notice the Gaa boys are fine as burly centre halfs but hot so good when it comes to anything dextrous, while the footie boys are handy as nippy corner forwards but not so good with the rough and tumble

irishultra
17/03/2009, 10:59 PM
because the majority of soccer is based on fitness and athleticism, same with GAA..hence the reason they generally excel at both sports.

Conormack
19/03/2009, 12:38 AM
could it just be that the guy wearing the gaa shorts had his soccer shorts in the wash and he's actually the best soccer player anyway even though he play gaelic football. although i would agree gaa players engine and stamina is greater. more intense game maybe!!

Roadend
19/03/2009, 8:23 AM
I think its obvious that everyone else was so bad that this gah fella and his meagre skills stuck out in a sea of rubbishness.

brianw82
19/03/2009, 10:52 PM
Perhaps Giovanni Dos Santos's fall from grace was faster than we thought, and he was wearing a Mayo jersey?

pete
20/03/2009, 11:23 AM
because the majority of soccer is based on fitness and athleticism, same with GAA..hence the reason they generally excel at both sports.

True when talking about 5 a side amateur football. Obviously the higher standard the higher the skill requirement.

In my experience Gaelic footballs would be very strong & hard to push off the ball even for football. I would guess rugby players would be the same as similar build required.

Shilts
20/03/2009, 12:10 PM
The better soccer players don't play 'mickey mouse, with the buddies, soccer'. Anybody with some bit of fitness or athletic ability would look good at the lowest level of soccer.:D