PDA

View Full Version : Keith O'Neill??

Sheridan
06/12/2003, 3:06 PM
What's all this in today's Herald about Dublin City and Bohs trying to sign ex-Ireland international Keith O'Neill?

I'm wary of novelty signings like this, but I think a club building from scratch like Dublin City needs all the publicity it can get. Plus, another option on the left would be nice. Assuming there's anything in it, of course.

Ringo
07/12/2003, 6:32 AM
paper never refused ink! His wage bill would be too high.

Sheridan
07/12/2003, 7:11 PM
Originally posted by Ringo
paper never refused ink! His wage bill would be too high.

Hmm. Our inability to pay his wages is a set-back, but by no means insurmountable. I have a cunning plan...

Step 1: Send out a press release announcing that we've signed him, and milk the publicity for all its worth.

Step 2: Buy Robbie Farrell (a dead-ringer for O'Neill if ever I saw one) a wig and some really dodgy polo-neck jumpers.

Step 3: Let him play in bursts of five games between "injuries."

Even if Robbie won't play ball, you can still just announce that O'Neill has signed - he's always injured anyway, so no-one will be any the wiser.

Seriously though, I doubt if his wage demands would be that extortionate. By his own admission, he's going to pick up a knock every 15-20 games, so he doesn't exactly have that much to bargain with.

sadloserkid
10/12/2003, 1:46 PM
I'd love to see O'Neill playing again and if it was for an Irish club that's even better, we should be encouraging well-known Irish players to come home at any stage in their careers as long as they're good enough. The amount of people that Keith O'Neill would bring to Dublin City would make it a worthwhile exercise I'd say and if only a handful of these became regulars it would have been worth it. All this of course is assuming that he doesn't want too much cash!

pineapple stu
10/12/2003, 4:50 PM
Wonder if he'd like to do a degree in Sports Management?!:D

Schumi
11/12/2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Wonder if he'd like to do a degree in Sports Management?!:D Just what we need, another injured player.

Éanna
11/12/2003, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
we should be encouraging well-known Irish players to come home at any stage in their careers as long as they're good enough.
some see it as a kind of opportunity to pick up cash for nothing e.g. Liam "BLOB" O'Brien

Sheridan
08/01/2004, 3:09 PM
Hey, I just realised - they were half-right!

We did, after all, persuade a prominent forward called O'Neill to come out of retirement and sign for us ;)

TommyT
08/01/2004, 8:07 PM
Originally posted by Sheridan
he did, after all, persuade a prominent forward called O'Neill to come out of retirement and sign for us ;)

did you see he was listed in last night's Herald as having signed for Drigheda :rolleyes: