PDA

View Full Version : Cook Congratulates Victorious IT Sligo Side

sligoman
15/03/2009, 8:09 PM
Sligo Rovers manager Paul Cook was among those who congratulated Sligo IT on their Umbro Colleges Cup win last Thursday as they defeated Letterkenny IT 3-2 in Drum, Cook said it was a good win for football in Sligo and gave special mention to the A team players who were involved with the IT:

"I was delighted when I heard that the IT had won the Umbro Colleges Cup, it's always good for football in Sligo when a team wins an All-Ireland title and this is no different. I know that they've had a good season all round as they also reached the League semi-finals. It's a great reward for all those involved with promoting football in the IT and great credit has to go to their manager Scotty Harte and to Paul Powell. They had the lads well prepared and by all accounts they play good football. I was delighted also for our A Team players - Gavin O'Dwyer, Niall Costello and Ryan McCombe - who were involved with the side. It's something that I've always said that it's important for a club such ourselves to have players coming though the ranks locally and hopefully some of the IT players will go on to play in the Showgrounds."

Cook also gave special mention to Summerhill College who enjoyed a good week as their U-16's booked their place in the Connacht Final with a 1-0 against old St. Joseph's and the U-14's, who are co-managed by Sligo Rovers player Steve Feeney, booked their place in the Connacht semi-finals as they came from behind to beat St. Joseph's 3-1:
"It was great also to see Summerhill College recording two big wins during the week. Summerhill has long been a nursery school for Sligo Rovers and this is something we want to continue and are currently looking at ways to increase our relationship with the school. I want to wish Brian Tivnin and his players all the best in their final. Great to see Steve doing so well with the U-14's, he obviously listens well! Still though can't have him picking up a peice of silverware before me!"