PDA

View Full Version : TV3 cancels The Dunphy Show

Ref
05/12/2003, 3:52 PM
TV3 cancels The Dunphy Show

December 5, 2003

TV3 has announced it is cancelling The Dunphy Show saying commercially it had been impossible to keep the show going.

The station paid tribute to what it called the 'extraordinary talents of Eamon and the entire production' saying the programme had achieved everything the 'station could have wished for'.

TV3 said the 'enormous licence fee increases in the last two years have had a massive negative impact on the opportunity to invest in Irish programming'.

It said in the current marketplace it has 'proved impossible' for TV3 to continue The Dunphy Show beyond December 12 2003.

The station said, 'It is sad that ambitious productions like The Dunphy Show and the talented people involved can be affected by the manner in which broadcast competition is regulated in Ireland'.

Speaking after the announcement, Mr Dunphy said, 'I would like to thank TV3 for their support for the show. I would particularly like to thank our viewers. I was privileged to work with a brilliant team all of whom I'm certain will go on to enjoy successful careers in the business'.

Macy
05/12/2003, 3:55 PM
Pity, far better than that plank Kenny, although you would have to question the decision to go up against the late late....

Ref
05/12/2003, 3:57 PM
why didn't they try and move it to Saturday?

pete
05/12/2003, 4:03 PM
Not seen that much of it too be honest. Even when i was in to watch had no guests of interest i.e. same as late late.

Dunphy must officially be a jinx now after tv3 cancelled the Weakest Link too.

Irish people are creatures of habit & if moved any show from RTE1 to tv3 will barely get 1/2 the viewers.

Manner of licence fee distribution really does just give RTE a subsidy to bash the competition.

Macy
05/12/2003, 4:04 PM
Actually I would've gone Thursday - up against fook all then.... Prime Time and Would You Believe, Some oft repeated movie and Hector and Survivor..... (oh the joys of only having terrestrial tele...)

DrogMan
05/12/2003, 4:06 PM
Haha serves the b*llox right!!!

Ref
05/12/2003, 4:07 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Actually I would've gone Thursday - up against fook all then.... Prime Time and Would You Believe, Some oft repeated movie and Hector and Survivor..... (oh the joys of only having terrestrial tele...)

yeah but people have to go to bed early to get up for work on Friday and who is going to sit down and watch Dunphy at 9pm for an hour and a half after a hard days work knowing you have to be up again at 6 or 7.

you just wouldn't get the audience.

friday & saturdays are different.

UCD_4_Life
05/12/2003, 8:28 PM
Shame that. His was the only talk show that I had any interest in - I wouldn't touch Pat Kenny with an oversized novelty barge pole.

tiktok
05/12/2003, 9:44 PM
I thought it was a poor effort. He threw every guest he had on soft ball questions and spent more time brown nosing than asking what people wanted to know. It might have done better on saturday night, but to move it would have been to admit defeat to Kenny.

Hopefully it'll clear the way for live friday night football next season. Dunphy is no loss (except to the Last Word, Matt Cooper is terrible).

jofyisgod
06/12/2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
I thought it was a poor effort. He threw every guest he had on soft ball questions and spent more time brown nosing than asking what people wanted to know.

Oh, i hate when hosts do that. P!sses me off sooo much. The more famous the guest, the more they bullsh!t.

jofyisgod
06/12/2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Yeah, dire stuff. What was the point of Dunphy interviewing Keane when he had his tongue up Roy's hole?

:D Harsh, but true.

ray900
07/12/2003, 11:44 PM
TV3 is an absolute waste of space. The Dunphy Show was their only proper 'home made' effort and the idiots only gave it three months.

The reasons cited (license fee etc) are absolute bull****. They don't care about making quality programming. They just want to return a profit. The accountants know that they can attract ignorant housewives to watch their thrashy American drivel for half the price of the Dunphy Show.

Dunphy was doomed from the start. They put him up against the Late Late which has been running for four decades. What chance did the show have? How can you build up an audience when there is a show identical in theme on at the same time on a more established channel? If Dunphy had been cut to 1 hour and shown on a Saturday evening, not necessarily live, perhaps it would have been a great success.

NigeSausagepump
08/12/2003, 11:01 AM
Dunphy makes for a far more interesting interviewee than interviewer. His slots with the likes of both Keanes, Ben Dunne and Ger Loughnane were absolutely cringeworthy. I thought the phrase "greatest living Irishman" was a superlative and hence couldn't be applied to every single guest he had on. He brought sycophancy to a new level and one thing the Irish viewing public aint going to condone it's outright flattery of the "high and mighty"

Good riddance Eamo.

SÓC
08/12/2003, 11:22 AM

What?? No No!

Thursday is the best night of Irish TV. You have Amú le Hector on TG4 (The best Irish made show ever), you dont have to be able to speak Irish go get it, it is half in English, half in Irish and there are subtitles.

Then on the same channel you have Oz. Excellent HBO Prision show.

Macy
08/12/2003, 2:12 PM
I agree Sóc, Thursday nights are Hector, Survivor and Oz, but the majority of the public barely know TG4 exists, let alone watch it....

On the Licence Fee issue, of course it's a factor. Kenny never managed to get such famous guests pre-Dunphy. IMO RTE is either a public service broadcaster or a commercial station - it can't be both, but it buys in far more absolute tosh than TV3 does. The Licence fee money should be put in a central pot, and then the Stations have to bid for the money to make the public service shows. It would automatically stop RTE subsidising their commercial programming with licence fee money, which quiet clearly has been the case with this season of the Late Late.

wws
08/12/2003, 2:28 PM
I stopped watchin RTE after they axed the live mike and cagney and lacey

Macy
08/12/2003, 3:42 PM
Think Cagney and Lacy is still on..... Sure throw a sicky and do some research..... As long as they don't give The A Team the chop.....

wws
08/12/2003, 3:53 PM
yeah but in what form?
think cagney is dead
or maybe lacey

either way its just not the same
what about hill street blues?

doo, duh, doo, duooo
etc

furillo

chips

starsky and hutch

tiktok
08/12/2003, 4:20 PM
Thursday nights are Hector, Survivor and Oz

Best few hours block of entertainment on any Irish channel. Top class.

Either Cagney or Lacey is now on 'Judging Amy', one of the worst hour block of entertainment on any Irish channel (after omnibus editions of soaps).

Beavis
08/12/2003, 8:28 PM
Hector is one of the great irish personalities but I prefered when he was preaching as Gaelige in countries you never knew existed.He just travels round Ireland now doesn't he?

Macy
09/12/2003, 7:38 AM
Originally posted by Beavis
Hector is one of the great irish personalities but I prefered when he was preaching as Gaelige in countries you never knew existed.He just travels round Ireland now doesn't he?
Last week he was in Austria with the Dubliners, the week before in the Playboy Mansion, and before that again in Memphis..... Think they're repeats though, pretty sure I saw the Memphis one before.....

the 12 th man
09/12/2003, 7:43 AM
its fairley obvious that saturday was by far the best choice for the show.but eamos war of words and his ego forced him to go head to head with the plank.it would be seen as an almighty climb down if he swapped nights now.the show is and would be mortally wounded

sadloserkid
09/12/2003, 12:43 PM
Dunphy's show was better and he had much better guests. Who wants to listen to Victoria Smurfit like? However he's an absolute schmuck is our Eamo, an arrogant, pompous, self-smug git and that's why a lot of people were reluctant to watch him I think. I respect the guy for having strongly held opinions but how in the name of God can one man talk so much rubbish...

Even the dedication in his book 'To the pro' or whatevr variant on that it was is laughable given his own cavalier attitude to professionalism and such like. Tired & Emotional remember? :)

The show is a loss, he isn't.

Ref
09/12/2003, 1:34 PM
give Hector the show!!

:)

SÓC
09/12/2003, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by Ref
give Hector the show!!

:)
Good call

Time to start a petition.

Hector for President.

pete
09/12/2003, 4:32 PM
Hector is good but he be ruined if got show on RTE.

RTE would ruin his creativity & have him doing some inane quiz show or such...

patsh
10/12/2003, 1:34 PM
I couldn't give a toss for Dunphy, but it proves what a pile of sh*te TV3 is. They were getting €500,000 from EsatBT for the show. There is no way that they will ever put the time, money and effort into building an audience for something.
eL should be looking to get anyone else to show our games.