PDA

View Full Version : Field

liam88
03/12/2003, 7:54 PM
A few questions from a Republic Lad stuck in England ;):

1.Does IL finish the same date as English Premier?
2. Oranangefield-sound like a Unionist club if ever I heard one? Any info on 'em?
3.What's the history with the word 'field' and it's association with Unionist/Loyalist organisations? Westfield school, Linfield Football club, any Nationalist Fields?
4. How come I started a thread called 'Belfast Celtic' and it's now called 'Derry and Clifftonville' yet I'm still down as the starter?

Thanks for the help,
Liam

Paddy Ramone
04/12/2003, 12:50 PM
In answer to some of your questions.

The Orange Order have gatherings in fields after marches. I think this might be the reason for the popularity of the word of the word in placenames in Northern Ireland. Maybe this is how Orangefield got it's name.

I suppose the Belfast Celtic thread ended up as a Derry and Cliftonville thread because the subjects are similar.

Paddy Ramone
08/12/2003, 12:31 PM
Liverpool were founded by an Orangeman and play at Anfield. Also the the traditionally Orange part of Liverpool is called Netherfield. Liverpool have a Kop and so have Linfield.

liam88
12/12/2003, 9:12 PM
What is a Kop?

TommyT
12/12/2003, 10:48 PM
Dutch for hilltop. The ''Spion Kop'' terraces are named after a hill in South Africa where loads of Brits got killed during the Boer War.

Go on the Boers I say.

Duncan Gardner
13/12/2003, 10:35 AM
A few questions from a Republic Lad stuck in England :

1.Does IL finish the same date as English Premier?

No. Irish League 24 April, English Prem 15/16 May.

2. Oranangefield-sound like a Unionist club if ever I heard one?

Orangefield Old Boys play in the NI junior leagues and the local FA Cup. Like a lot of local clubs their roots are in the Churches and Boys' Brigade. Given the east Belfast location I think you can assume most members and supporters are unionists. Van Morrison went to Orangefield Secondary School.

3.What's the history with the word 'field' and it's association with Unionist/Loyalist organisations? Westfield school, Linfield Football club, any Nationalist Fields?

Coincidental. Linfield take their name from an industrial estate nearby, in itself inspired by the bleach greens used to prepare linen in the 19th century. Athenry?

liam88
13/12/2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks.
Why have Liverpool got a big Republic following, joint Liverpool Celtic scarves etc. despite their Orange roots?
Has their Unionist history just faded away?

Andyh
14/12/2003, 1:54 PM
"Go on the Boers thats what i say". Hmmm

Would that be the same Boers that went on to form Apartheid South Africa? Of course no-ones as bad as the terrible awful Brits eh??

TheRealRovers
14/12/2003, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by Andyh
Of course no-ones as bad as the terrible awful Brits
True

Duncan Gardner
14/12/2003, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by liam88
Thanks.
Why have Liverpool got a big Republic following, joint Liverpool Celtic scarves etc. despite their Orange roots?

Their big following follows from their domination of English football for 15 years.

The Celtic link follows more from Kenny Dalglish than the Irish diaspora I'd guess.

Religious affiliation in English football hasn't been a factor for decades.

Originally posted by Andy H
Would that be the same Boers that went on to form Apartheid South Africa? Of course no-ones as bad as the terrible awful Brits eh??

Hardly. The two events were half a century apart.

Andyh
14/12/2003, 5:09 PM
Irony?

Schumi
15/12/2003, 3:46 PM
Why have Liverpool got a big Republic following The same reason Man United do and Chelsea will soon, glory hunting.

TommyT
15/12/2003, 3:54 PM
Irony?

Ironic or no, Touché.

A face
15/12/2003, 4:24 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
The same reason Man United do and Chelsea will soon, glory hunting.

That just about sums it all up in one .... sad really.

liam88
15/12/2003, 9:13 PM
You'll always get glory hunters though :rolleyes:
Mabye they just needed a channel for their Irishness and Liverpool seemed the nearest available output.
Like me and Celtic-I'm Irish, stuck in England, there are a few teams that sing Irish songs and fly Irish flags, plus Celtic shirts are common place at Ireland games and vice versa. Add this to the fact meh family support Celtic and here we go:)
Of course I'll always be a Rams man but Celtic are a great channel for our Irishness if we live over here-and let's face it, thousands support Celtic for this very reason.
Mabye being lucky enough to be living in the homeland you don't need it as much, but being in England and taking all this racist trash it really is great to fly a Tri-Colour at a football stadium whilst surrounded by a load of other Irish singing Republican songs :)

Paddy Ramone
17/12/2003, 11:02 AM
"Go on the Boers thats what i say". Hmmm

Well the Afrikaaners are descendants of the Boers. The Brits put them all into concentration camps. Both James Connolly and Arthur Griffith and most Irish Republicans supported the Boers in their war against the British. Boer is the Afrikaans ord for a peasant and went out of fashion because it was perceived as being derogatory.

Spion Kop is the Afrikaans. It is translated as spy mountain or lookout hill. Many British grounds like Linfield and Liverpool have a Spion Kop to commerate the battle of Spion Kop where many British soldiers lost their lives as was said before.

Paddy Ramone
17/12/2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks.

You also see plenty of Northern Ireland flags at Anfield among Liverpool supporters. The Red Hand of Ulster flag of the six counties just happens to have the same colours (red and white and small bit of yellow) as Liverpool. It's also quite common to see joint Liverpool Rangers scarves.

Everton back in the 50's and 60's had much stronger connections with Ireland. See the following link.

www.toffeeweb.com/fans/beingblue/religion.asp

lopez
18/12/2003, 2:37 PM
Of course I'll always be a Rams man...
Really??? I thought you were from Cork, not Donegal.:D Please keep your sexual preferences to yourself. There are young kids that use this site.;)

liam88
18/12/2003, 9:31 PM
hehe shudda seen that one comin' :rolleyes:
Anyone got any pictures of joint Liverpool/Celtic or Liverpool/Rangers scarves just outta' interest?

chaz763
22/12/2003, 12:27 AM
Stumbled across this pish by mistake - what paper's this lot reading!

Liverpool sing 'fathers advice' an orange tune (the tune of field of athenry) and scouser tommy ( the sash) - i care not a jot either way but the real things the realthing - sorry if you dont like it.

Liverpool fc was formed by an orangeman, is spitting distance from a rabid loyalist area (netherfield rd - not 'netherfield').

We have a huge irish support but just kike man u - glory hunters.

I'm a gateman - see it all - plastic paddies there called - sorry its reality!

Go on bite back.....

TommyT
23/12/2003, 1:13 AM
Originally posted by chaz763

We have a huge irish support but just kike man u - glory hunters.

I'm a gateman - see it all - plastic paddies there called - sorry its reality!

Go on bite back.....

You won't get many people here arguing the toss about Irish united/Liverpool fans being *******.

Paddy Ramone
13/01/2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Declan_Michael
Religion has no place in football.

Lets face it Rangers and Celtic make alot of money from their Irish/British roots.

Always makes me laugh when Irish fans claim to support their local team ie Cork,Derry but also Celtic!! Love to see were your allegiance would lie if both teams met!

To me as a Irish & Liverpool supporter religious connections between Everton/Liverpool are myth.

1. Netherfield Area is closer to Everton (Goodison) than Liverpool (Anfield).

2. Liverpool's two biggest songs IMO are YNWA & Fields of Anfield Road.

3. Never seen a Liverpool/Rangers scarf seen plenty of Liverpool/Celtic ones.

4. Liverpool/Everton swapped grounds in 1890's

5. Celtic 'borrowed' YNWA from a protestant club? :rolleyes:

6. Liverpool/Everton fans do not give a toss about religion in Footballing matters.

1.The Netherfield Area is closer to Everton then Anfield but isn't Anfield in Everton. Liverpool founder John Houlding originally wanted to use the Everton name but the Goodison club kept the Everton name even though they left the area. The largely Catholic Scotland Road is traditionally an Everton supporting area.

2. Rangers also have a song based on the Fields of Athenry.

3. I've seen a few Liverpool/Rangers scarves. You're hardly saying there are no Liverpool fans who support Rangers as well.

4.There was a loyalist Liverpool supporters website caled Ulsterpool which is inactive now. There is a link on
www.geocites.com/davie1689/links.html
The Northern Ireland flag is a common sight at Anfield.

5. YNWA was a song used by the supporters of many different clubs. Even Man Utd fans sung it up until the late 70's although Liverpool fans may have been the first to adopt it.

6. Liverpool were founded by an Orangeman John Houlding and their first manager was also an Orangeman John McKenna. Everton were formed by an organist in a Methodist Church called George Mahon.

Alexa
14/05/2004, 3:05 PM
Hi folks
I spotted this on the Belfast 'Tele' site.

"Blues and Dundalk unite to re-launch Dunfield project."

Read the full story (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/story.jsp?story=520870) :ball: