PDA

View Full Version : Stewarding In EL

thecorner
03/12/2003, 2:42 PM
do these guys have to go on a course or have they any qualifications at all

from what i know and have seen this season, we have had a few incidents with stewards i.e. waterford,SPA,shels(these are just what i know of)

r they all this bad throughout the country

any more fans have any incidents with stewards

not saying that ours are angels but cant remeber seeing an incident in the cross this season with stewards

SÓC
03/12/2003, 3:03 PM
SPA have the worst set up in the League by a country mile.

Most of thm are grand, like the sound Grey haired waterford one, but there are others that are just ignorant and stupid. The Waterford one who stood on our flags. Chuck Norris. Chuck's chubbier friend who threw a City fan out of Richmond becuase we took a two goal lead, or maybe because a different member of the Rebel Army called Who Are Ya Bosco.

pete
03/12/2003, 3:20 PM
Best thing is Dublin club stewards also do the FAI stewarding at Lansdowne.

Its possible the FAI make the clubs use them?

:rolleyes:

MariborKev
03/12/2003, 10:43 PM
Most people have no problesm with the Derry stewards

A face
03/12/2003, 11:34 PM
To be honest .... i just like that fact that City are getting it right, little if not no trouble at the cross, no pitch invasions etc . it is getting better.

Is there too much fun police there though ??

pineapple stu
04/12/2003, 12:47 PM
There were stewards in Dundalk who helped us put up flags and who actually went after knackers in the shed who were throwing coins at us. They're the exception though. The other end of it is that infamous idiot in Cork who threw half of us all out of Turner's Cross, told the rest of us to take down our flag, put our bodhrán away and called us "W@nkers" repeatedly. I remember another steward at Lansdowne once throw a 10-year-old kid out of the ground for throwing a roll of toilet paper from the Upper West stand during an Ireland rugby game. He also told me that I (as St John Ambulance) had no right to be in the stand. He was another complete idiot.

There is an FAI stewarding course, as far as I know. They do seem to let a fair few slip through though...

Macy
04/12/2003, 1:16 PM
Never really had any problems with stewards anywhere....

AFAIK (and has been pointed out to you Cork fans loads of fookin times) the Dublin clubs have to use the FAI appointed stewards, i.e. Frontline.... Although this may be changing as I think Bohs have employed someone else....

Our stewards went through a bad patch, but seem to have bucked up - less complaints this season than last anyway....

pete
04/12/2003, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
The other end of it is that infamous idiot in Cork who threw half of us all out of Turner's Cross...

Jeez 2 people is hardly worthy of "us all".

;)

Macy
04/12/2003, 1:38 PM
Think it the majority of cases, people are generally doing something that could be construed as being against the ground regulations..... If you're dishing out abuse, then technically you can have no complaints about being chucked out - usually you wouldn't, but if you check any ground regulations there is usually a "obscene and abusive language" point so you can't really have any complaints if you get fooked out....

thecorner
04/12/2003, 2:41 PM
also remember a steward throwing a little 10 year old knacker out of shed for a throwing a bottle at micky devine which was in fact good stewarding

but in general the only place we had trouble with stewards was in dublin and of course that w@nker in waaaaaaaaterford

DruggyDrog
04/12/2003, 3:38 PM
Part of the licencing is that your stewards pass the FAI course and are subsequently given the ok after being monitored by an FAI guy. They went around all clubs this season with a 4 hour course. I believe the take up was poor and a lot of people who like to steward to avoid paying in just never bothered.

Unless they are complete pr*cks then its rare to see a steward acting up for no reason. The only hassle I had this year was at Longford (sorry Macy!). While they may or may not have been in the right, it was the only place that wouldn't let us bring our flags in. To make matters worse my own cousin is a steward there!!

By and lage its better than it used to be, and stewards are advised to err on the side of caution because of the compo culture that we now have in this country.

Macy
04/12/2003, 4:15 PM
Originally posted by DruggyDrog
Unless they are complete pr*cks then its rare to see a steward acting up for no reason. The only hassle I had this year was at Longford (sorry Macy!). While they may or may not have been in the right, it was the only place that wouldn't let us bring our flags in.
I knew that would be brought up, but I think that's a different issue in fairness... What hassle did you get? "you're not allowed to bring in the big flags"? If you'd just accepted it, it wouldn't really be hassle would it? Compared to a few seasons ago, not letting big flags in is nothing....

MariborKev
04/12/2003, 10:05 PM
Right

Longford- this season we had stewards telling me I wasn't allowed to use a cmaera(wasn't using a flash or anything). Apparently it was overputting for the players

We also had the flag problems but the stewrads said they would put the poles in the shop and we could get them after the game. After the game other stwards claimed they weren't there and that poles were never put in the shop

Telling us to take down flags as they were blocking advertising, even though they were never near them

Apart from that, Longford is great

thecorner
04/12/2003, 11:29 PM
1.SPA
2. $HEL$
3.Longford
4.Waaaaaaaaterford

any more bad stewards out there?????

Macy
05/12/2003, 8:37 AM
1.SPA
2. $HEL$
3.Longford
4.Waaaaaaaaterford
5.Cork

DruggyDrog
05/12/2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Macy
I knew that would be brought up, but I think that's a different issue in fairness... What hassle did you get? "you're not allowed to bring in the big flags"? If you'd just accepted it, it wouldn't really be hassle would it? Compared to a few seasons ago, not letting big flags in is nothing....

Thats my point. While obviously we would prefer that our flags are let into the ground, as in every other ground in the EL (some even assist in settling them up and finding us the best location), the fact that this is the most 'hassle' I've seen shows that things aren't as bad as they used to be. In most cases, the people who have problems with stewards are the people the stewards have problems with, if you know what I mean!!!!!

wws
05/12/2003, 11:59 AM
cork have the best stewards in the league, but is it any wonder, what with the crazy money dolan is rumoured to be lavishing on them

A face
05/12/2003, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by wws
cork have the best stewards in the league, but is it any wonder, what with the crazy money dolan is rumoured to be lavishing on them

Here he is .... wws .... the man of the moment.

Is that your tupence on the whole thing so i take it ??

TheRealRovers
05/12/2003, 8:43 PM
Our stewards haven't a clue when it comesto crowd control