PDA

View Full Version : LOI Historical Sites

blastfrmthepast
06/03/2009, 7:52 AM
Does anyone know of any web sites where you can get info on the league from years past. FAI sites, newspaper archives, or individual club sites.
Any help would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

A face
06/03/2009, 8:39 AM
Does anyone know of any web sites where you can get info on the league from years past. FAI sites, newspaper archives, or individual club sites.
Any help would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Well with the FAI sites there is nothing. I dont think they ever realise the value in archives and the work that they previously paid for. Even now, they www.eircomloi.ie site had a fair bit of data and they are just going to get rid of it it seems.

Dodge
06/03/2009, 9:08 AM
A book came out a couple of years ago with the results of every game in the league so far. (FAI Cup too)

Title was very matter of fact.

As a general rule stats on the LOI are pretty hard to come by. Real shame Dave galvin and Gerry Desmond couldn't keep their "Irish Football Handbook" series going

Larry 'da' Wyse
06/03/2009, 9:56 AM
I was hoping this thread had a more 'Save Tara' theme. Famous LoI historical sites that should have been preserved ;-)
Abbeycarton, Thurles dog track, Kilcohan Park and on and on

centre mid
06/03/2009, 10:10 AM
www.rsssf.com would have a good deal of hstorical data, but its not very indepth.

TheBoss
06/03/2009, 10:12 AM
Trying to get a forum going on this, link on bottom of my sig.

gspain
06/03/2009, 12:37 PM
A book came out a couple of years ago with the results of every game in the league so far. (FAI Cup too)

Title was very matter of fact.

As a general rule stats on the LOI are pretty hard to come by. Real shame Dave galvin and Gerry Desmond couldn't keep their "Irish Football Handbook" series going

The book was produced circa 1985 by Niall McSweeney. Great job that must have taken months of research. One sold on ebay to a friend of mine for £30+ last year and he had been looking for it for a while.

It has all the results from the league, cup, league cup, shield, dublin city cup, leinster cup, all the north south cups. It includes the venues as well.

Even back then it was sold by post only and the print run can't have been huge. It was a real labour of love.

The Irish Football Handbooks were great. The league brought out a competing handbook althoguh this has also ceased. A version of it is given to journalists these days. I'm still trying to get last season's.

Dodge
06/03/2009, 12:43 PM
No, that wasn't the one I had gspain (I've seen that though and if anyway wants to give me a copy (or lend me one for a while) I'd be very, very grateful.

The one I have cost about €12 and I got it in easons. Done about 2 years ago. I have it at home. IU think an English guy done it as he put the town the team was in in brackets after the team name like St Patrick's Athletlic (Dublin) and derry came out at as Derry City (Londonderry)

TheBoss
06/03/2009, 1:14 PM
Is this the book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Republic-Ireland-Statistical-1921-2005/dp/1862231354

historynut
06/03/2009, 1:15 PM
Niall McSweeney's book was excellent. The book Dodge is on about is by Alex Graham and entitled "Football in the Republic of Ireland, a statistical record 1921-2004".
It gives results, League table and FAI Cup results from Quarter Final, each season. He also did one on N.Ireland 1880-2004.
It was produced by soccer books ltd Grimsby, they have a web site or can post tel no if want.

Dodge
06/03/2009, 1:19 PM
Spot on The Boss and histroynut

SkStu
06/03/2009, 2:19 PM
I was hoping this thread had a more 'Save Tara' theme. Famous LoI historical sites that should have been preserved ;-)
Abbeycarton, Thurles dog track, Kilcohan Park and on and on

Dalymount?? ;) :o