PDA

View Full Version : Newstalk = Complete Disaster

Iorfa2MaccaJim
05/03/2009, 6:13 PM
Hi lads.

I was just wondering, now that Friday Sportsnight is no more, will Newstalk do some sort of update programme on Friday nights ?

SkStu
05/03/2009, 6:36 PM
1) if you had bothered to read the thread on "RTE & league of ireland", one of the more recent threads, you would see that the same question has been asked and not answered.

2) why dont you email Newstalk and find out and then post the answer in the thread on "RTE & league of ireland"?

Mad Moose
06/03/2009, 8:09 PM
I have to say I was impressed. For all of about 10 minutes and 48 seconds. That was it, Then I switched off. They did mention the opening to the League of Ireland season and had feeds of interiews with Fenlon, Doolin, Delaney, Fran Gavin, Owen Heary and Stephen Kenny. To be honest that was it and Delaney did the usual misguided preaching of how things should be this season and of course chatted about heading in the right direction. I find him difficult to listen to and have to listen attentively.Sadly I couldn't.

I did await a little more after they said they would be getting in their football reporter on to chat football. None other than Paul Parker. It couldn't be. Christ Paul Parker. I wonder was he their automatic choice. I'm sure Oisin and the other two despite their love and passion for cross channel football would struggle with this one. What I did notice is how comfortable they are chatting Premiership football and how bipolar they are when it comes to LoI football.

Despite it been a commercial radio station it surprised me that in those opening minutes (I don't know about afterward) they never once referred to the League of Ireland as the Newstalk League. It was always referred to as the League of Ireland.

Anyhow pretty much as I expected of it. Don't think I'll be tuning in again.

5ForKeeps
06/03/2009, 8:10 PM
Agree it was awful coverage of the opening nite of the League, like yourself I turned it off, utter tripe...

El-Pietro
06/03/2009, 8:17 PM
I have to say I was impressed. For all of about 10 minutes and 48 seconds. That was it, Then I switched off. They did mention the opening to the League of Ireland season and had feeds of interiews with Fenlon, Doolin, Delaney, Fran Gavin, Owen Heary and Stephen Kenny. To be honest that was it and Delaney did the usual misguided preaching of how things should be this season and of course chatted about heading in the right direction. I find him difficult to listen to and have to listen attentively.Sadly I couldn't.

I did await a little more after they said they would be getting in their football reporter on to chat football. None other than Paul Parker. It couldn't be. Christ Paul Parker. I wonder was he their automatic choice. I'm sure Oisin and the other two despite their love and passion for cross channel football would struggle with this one. What I did notice is how comfortable they are chatting Premiership football and how bipolar they are when it comes to LoI football.

Despite it been a commercial radio station it surprised me that in those opening minutes (I don't know about afterward) they never once referred to the League of Ireland as the Newstalk League. It was always referred to as the League of Ireland.

Anyhow pretty much as I expected of it. Don't think I'll be tuning in again.
its not called the Newstalk league

its the LOI

newstalk are not the title sponsors of anything but the A championship

tippex
06/03/2009, 9:15 PM
yep have to agree turned it on during the game hoping for some commentry on the other matches and there was a gaa interview on.

utter crap....

kdjaC
06/03/2009, 9:39 PM
excellent review on who is uglier Ronaldo/ Taylor or Giles/ Dunphy.

Cracking 10 minutes of radio i was enthralled by it, was hoping to hear full times but now i know Ronaldo and Giles are the better looking of the 2.

kdjac

Réiteoir
07/03/2009, 1:13 AM
aye - tuned in to hear the usual post match reports from each ground - as was the standard with Friday Sportsnight.

Instead I got "The Best of the Week's Output of Off The Ball"

Tossers

eirebhoy
07/03/2009, 1:27 AM
I have to say I was impressed.
liar. ;)

A face
07/03/2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I dont think they'll ever be able to compete with Friday Sportsnight. Some of the stuff the talk about is complete tripe, SoccerAM drivel at the best of times. Cringeworthy stuff.

Splurge
07/03/2009, 12:55 PM
Was driving home from work last night 9-10pm and tought i would be sorted for regulart updates, instead it was an interview with some hurler/ boxer and i got a score update at 9:30 and nothing after, got the finals on today fm at 5 past 10.
Im a big fan of off the ball but that was ****e.

TheBoss
07/03/2009, 3:08 PM
Just listening to Q102, and they newsreader says, ''Galway City shocked St Pats 3-0''

Jicked
07/03/2009, 3:25 PM
Surely the amount of people tuning in to a live game and a few updates from around the Premier Division would bring in a bigger crowd of listeners then arsing on about gah rubbish which can be heard at any stage of the week??

Paddyfield
07/03/2009, 9:45 PM
So, NewsTalk radio are co sponsors of the League.

I was driving home tonight and so I tuned in for the NewsTalk 9pm news and sport to get the latest fron the Sligo V Cork City game.

Lead item was Man Utd v Fulham and all of the rest of the English results followed by Scottish Cup results. Then rugby, athletics, horse racing and finally GAA.

Nothing from the Showgrounds though. I didn't expect them to have a live report but they could've flicked on Aertel FFS.

KUFCMan
07/03/2009, 11:24 PM
Theyre nothing short of a disgrace on a Saturday nite.I gave up trying to get results even especially 1st Division ones on the 10pm news!

Kildareman
07/03/2009, 11:29 PM
I listened to Newstalk all day when the licenses were being announced and they didnt mention it once all day. Waste of time.
Foot.ie number 1 for LOI league news :)

The Lep
07/03/2009, 11:30 PM
They kept announcing the sat night premier match but nothing of the first division games.

don ramo
08/03/2009, 2:05 AM
well they are sponsors of the A league, not all LOI divisions, so well see if they discuss that when it comes around

soccerc
08/03/2009, 2:32 AM
well they are sponsors of the A league, not all LOI divisions, so well see if they discuss that when it comes around

Doesn't stop them allegedly demanding and getting under duress prime spots for ad boards at premier division grounds

don ramo
08/03/2009, 2:38 AM
Doesn't stop them allegedly demanding and getting under duress prime spots for ad boards at premier division grounds

good point, i havent been to any prem or first grounds, im unfortunately a ramblers fan:(

Karl Phillips
08/03/2009, 7:59 PM
All, they did have a show on the Radio on Wednesday with Daniel Mc Donnell and Dodgey talking about the up coming week end. They were hamstrung with the deal that was done with RTE and the league. ( Friday night Soccer )I dont even know if the show is still on as it has moved to LW.

Macy
09/03/2009, 9:31 AM
The Dan McD and Shoddy segment still isn't part of the bloody "football show" though.

Was the news definitely live on Saturday night? I think the shows are recorded after 7pm, so I wouldn't be surprised if they've gone to recorded news too given the apparent cut backs - it's gone on the most disappointing dumbing down exercise the last number of years.

JC_GUFC
09/03/2009, 9:39 AM

I wouldn't be holding my breath if you're expecting live updates from the A Championship derby - Cobh Ramblers v Cork City A!

pete
09/03/2009, 10:31 AM
The Dan McD and Shoddy segment still isn't part of the bloody "football show" though.

LOI is not football. It is special. :o

On saturday evenings Newstalk don't do much spots coverage so I don't think it is deliberately anto LOI.

mr.untitled
27/03/2009, 7:24 PM
Its friday night, between football and rugby there is loads of live sport. and they have a review of the week, 15 mins of the cork hurling crisis on now.
I wrote to them but no reply
I'm living in the states and since rte pulled the friday nght sports show, I have no good service.
anyone got any ideas how we could get them to put on a sports show in their sports slot?

aaaarrrrgggghhh

Umberside
27/03/2009, 7:36 PM
Tonight's show is highlights of the week, not a live one

mr.untitled
27/03/2009, 7:44 PM
Its 40 mins and counting on cork hurling. there is someone there giving the occasional update. How hard could it be to go round the grounds, even a phone call to a CPO or even a fan at each ground.
They sponsor the league and all they give us is 5 mins a week of roddy ****eing about buckfast and boxing.

Umberside
27/03/2009, 7:51 PM
Its 40 mins and counting on cork hurling. there is someone there giving the occasional update. How hard could it be to go round the grounds, even a phone call to a CPO or even a fan at each ground.
They sponsor the league and all they give us is 5 mins a week of roddy ****eing about buckfast and boxing.

That's not live that was on last night. IT'S A REPEAT

The best place for LOI is Today FM at every hour. Next bulletin 9.03pm

daithi
27/03/2009, 8:26 PM
Why is Friday Sportsnight gone? That was my radio highlight of the week! Sad i know...... Whats Gabriel and Owen doing now?

mr.untitled
27/03/2009, 8:44 PM
That's not live that was on last night. IT'S A REPEAT

maybee the features are a repeat but the show IS LIVE
if its a repeat i should listen next thursday and put a few quid on the scorelines that the guy reads out

sheao
27/03/2009, 10:31 PM
Why is Friday Sportsnight gone? That was my radio highlight of the week! Sad i know...... Whats Gabriel and Owen doing now?
I suppose since Newstalk began their sponsership of the league and Rte lack the funds to run the show.Newstalk as sponsers really should have some sort of a show with live updates around the grounds in Ireland on Friday night.

Réiteoir
27/03/2009, 10:43 PM
Eoin Hand sometimes does co-commentary on the TV Coverage

Haven't heard anything of Mr Egan outside of the usual International commentaries

Criminal that they cut Friday Sportsnight with no alternatives on the table

Denis The Red
27/03/2009, 11:43 PM
As far as I know it's live with pre-recorded interviews and stuff like Untitled said. They still keep you up to date on latest scores though.

Not at all, I like Today FM, (big fan of Mario Rosentock) but they were very slow at announcing Pat Scully's appointment, maybe it's because they're not a sponser of the league!!!!

pól-dcfc
28/03/2009, 12:49 AM
As far as I know it's live with pre-recorded interviews and stuff like Untitled said. They still keep you up to date on latest scores though.

Not at all, I like Today FM, (big fan of Mario Rosentock) but they were very slow at announcing Pat Scully's appointment, maybe it's because they're not a sponser of the league!!!!

Today FM and Newstalk are run by the same parent company. Hence Tom Dunne's switch. I reckon they probably just weren't on the ball/don't really care as much about 1st division football.

Mind you, I hope to god Limerick go up instead of Sporting or the Sheliban, and I think Scully is the man to do it. If Kenny hadn't come back to us, I'd probably have Scully over any other manager in the leaue (bar maybe Paul Cook).

Hibs4Ever
28/03/2009, 8:16 AM
Can't believe how crap NewsTalk was last night. As a LoI fan living abroad I loved the Friday Sportsnight show on RTE radio with a live match every week and commentators at every ground. Newstalk only gave score updates last night, and not many either. Brutal. Surely part of the sponsorship deal should've been a Friday night LoI show!

Dodge
28/03/2009, 11:18 AM
Surely part of the sponsorship deal should've been a Friday night LoI show!

Absolutely. Pretty scandalous that its not

niallsparky
29/03/2009, 6:04 PM
Surely part of the sponsorship deal should've been a Friday night LoI show!

How'd that work?

"Okay, we'll only accept your sponsership money if you do a LOI show?" :confused:

Dodge
29/03/2009, 6:30 PM
Yep, just like the way the fai pay rte to show mns

gilberto_eire
30/03/2009, 4:37 PM
Yep, just like the way the fai pay rte to show mns

But isn't that part of the international coverage package?..... what could they use against NewsTalk?

osarusan
31/03/2009, 7:51 PM
But isn't that part of the international coverage package?..... what could they use against NewsTalk?
I agree that there is no leverage here like with the national team and MNS, but I am surprised that Newstalk sponsored a league it doesn't seem to want to cover.

Dodge
31/03/2009, 7:53 PM

There are international rights for the internationals too

Mad Moose
01/04/2009, 12:17 PM
Hate to say it but in terms of league coverage we have been cut adrift a good number of years in terms of profile of the league. I'm grateful for RTE's live coverage at the minute and the reasons have been explained previously. Ya can't help thinking the reason for doing so is half hearted and will as every other season start to wain as the season progresses.

The Newstalk issue has been done to death.We will get absolutely nothing and much as I hate the presenters on 'Off the Ball' its not their doing but rather the radio station's commercial decision.

Friday Sportsnight I suspect attracted a large number of exile fans of the league and it was always a fully committed league programme and I could even cope with the balance between rugby and LoI football because they accomodated both. I suspect the reason for them pulling it was more financial than anything to do with a rival station as Newstalk is not a rival station in terms of coverage. While I'm aware RTE are currently doing league coverage (though it galls me on choice of panelists) as a national broadcaster serving all sections of the community our league deserves a dedicated radio schedule segment as much as it deserves a TV slot and schedule.

oriel
08/04/2009, 10:53 AM
I drove home from oriel pk last night and from 9.40 to 10.00 not one mention of any LOI prem result, can anyone else confirm if they read out results from 9.30 to 9.40 before I send off a complaint to one of the lges top tier sponsor

A face
09/04/2009, 8:42 AM
I drove home from oriel pk last night and from 9.40 to 10.00 not one mention of any LOI prem result, can anyone else confirm if they read out results from 9.30 to 9.40 before I send off a complaint to one of the lges top tier sponsor

I didn't hear it anyway

the-blue-harp
10/04/2009, 5:01 PM
anyone get any replies when complaining about lack of coverage to newstalkfm?

ger121
10/04/2009, 5:52 PM
No and sent mails to both newstalk and off the ball

oriel
10/04/2009, 9:48 PM
Yes, I did, I complained re last tues night and they wrote back to me within an hour, said they listended back to the show and they did mention LOI results from 9,30 -10

In my frustration I switched over so i cant be sure if they were correct, so i just left it, im still not convinced they are even 50% behind LOI

rte radio one on fri nights is badly missed

MMVIII
10/04/2009, 11:46 PM
On the way home tonight, correct me if im wrong, but i heard no mention of any league of ireland results. I tuned in at around 9 45. Anyone else get this?