PDA

View Full Version : Indo: 5 to watch in 2009

A face
05/03/2009, 8:53 AM
TheE new League of Ireland season is upon us and it's time once again for floating football fans around the country to wrestle with their conscience. You know the sort; those who frequently chime that they've been meaning to check out their local club in action, but just haven't gotten around to it -- perhaps citing an awful memory from their last visit as their defence.

The counterpoint, which league enthusiasts will make, is that there are players out there worth leaving the comfort of the living room or barstool to go and see. Indeed, in recent seasons, talents such as Kevin Doyle, Daryl Murphy, Stephen Ward, Noel Hunt and Keith Fahey, who now make a living in the upper echelons of English football, have been parading the turf at a ground near you.

Read more at www.independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/the-5-to-watch-in-2009-1659000.html)

Ezeikial
05/03/2009, 10:09 AM
THE CLASS OF 2008
1 -- paddy mccourt
then: derry city. now: celtic
2 -- keith fahey
then: st pat's. now: birmingham
3 -- george o'callaghan
then: cork city. now: dundalk
4 -- john paul kelly
then: bohemians. now: drogheda
5 -- seamus coleman
then: sligo rovers. now: everton

The Indo deserve credit for how their picks of 2008 preformed, with 3 out of 5 making significant cross-chanel moves - even if John Paul Kelly ( a brave selection by the Indo) and George O'Callaghan underpreformed.

George might well be in the last chance saloon - I found it interesting that he openly discussed his addiction problems with the local Dundalk press this week. While he has been the subject of many negative comments (understandably) in this forum about poor attitude and potential disruptive influence, I think that Sean Connors punt on him has a very good chance of paying off. O'Callaghan has been making all the right noises in press- e.g. eager to slot into right side of midfield if manager wants to play him there; recognising that this is his last shot at football etc. Could it be that George has finally grown up emotionally and will go on to illuminate the 2009 season with his undoubted talent?

Gamble it may be by Connor - but I think a very intelligent one!

A face
05/03/2009, 11:05 AM
Gamble it may be by Connor - but I think a very intelligent one!

Its definitely a gamble, without doubt but for Georgies sake i hope he gets it together and puts in a few good years. Sean Connor has his work cut out for him though.

Sheridan
05/03/2009, 11:14 AM
The Indo deserve credit for how their picks of 2008 preformed
LIke **** they do, two of them flopped miserably and the other three were no-brainers to anyone with a passing acquaintance with Irish football.

It'll be the same story this year. Ndo and Morrison will flop, I'm sure the other three unknowns they've named will astound everybody. :rolleyes:

Dodge
05/03/2009, 11:41 AM
Dreadfully uninspired picks. Former players of the year, the top scorer over the past two seasons?

JC_GUFC
05/03/2009, 11:44 AM
You're being a bit harsh there - I think the article is more aimed at the barstool fans rather than seasoned eircom League fans.

The 5 players mentioned are arguably the best talents currently in the league. It's not much use if they say to watch out for the likes Tiernan Mulvenna, Sean O'Connor, Davin O'Neill and then they end up spending most of the season on the bench.

Dodge
05/03/2009, 11:52 AM
Well we didn't say he should've made then look out for ****e players either JC

Point taken though

Sam_Heggy
05/03/2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe we should do our own "players to watch out for" on here, see how they perform.

At Harps we have:
Christy Conaghan - 20 year old right midfielder, has pace, can beat a player and a great right foot, something we have been lacking since the days of Johnny Kenny

Mark Forker - 19 years of age - Just back from Hearts, can play right midfield but is a very talented central midifelder, great going forward.

Ciaran Coll - 17 year old - Another just back from a spell at Hearts. Left back, good pace, good in the air and strong in the tackle. He uses the ball well and is rarely caught out of position.

James Doherty - 20 year old - Right back, James has been at the club for a few years and some say he should have got his chance long before now, great reading of the game and excellent touch and passing.

In the league,

Stephen Parkhouse - Sligo - With better players around him and better coaching Parky will be vital to Sligo, he will work well with Boco and its a partnership that will be hard to handle for any defence.

Jamie (?) McLean - Derry - young player who can play at full back or left mid, looked very good any time I saw him for the A team and in pre-season for Derry, If he gets a chance at left back he will do very well.

Derek Glynn - Longford - A possible for top goalscorer in the first division, I really don't know how he was released by Galway.

Rovers1
05/03/2009, 12:58 PM
Stephen Parkhouse - Sligo - With better players around him and better coaching Parky will be vital to Sligo, he will work well with Boco and its a partnership that will be hard to handle for any defence.

He'd want go get fit first. Still dont understand why we signed him. Would rather Boco and Raf upfront. Raf as small as he is, gets up better than Parky.

Sam_Heggy
05/03/2009, 1:01 PM
He'd want go get fit first. Still dont understand why we signed him. Would rather Boco and Raf upfront. Raf as small as he is, gets up better than Parky.

Personal issues aside.

Parky is excellent with the ball into chest or feet, he will lay the ball on for Boco to run in behind on numerous occasions during a game.
We all thought the same when he signed, he got some unreal abuse from the terraces but he turned it around and when Parky was not in the side we were less effective.

BobtheDrog
05/03/2009, 1:27 PM
keep an eye out for right back Mick Clarke at the Drogs. he's a great prospect

Dodge
05/03/2009, 1:44 PM
Loads of youngsters on the Pats squad. Noel Havertuy is 20 and in his third year with the senior squad. He's expected to make a big step up. The first player from our schoolboys to play at youth level for Ireland for 40 odd years. He's best at centre back or as a defensive midfielder but most of his appearances came at right abck so far

Andy Haran is a striker who spent the last few months of last seasonw ith Monaghan. Small, very quick and with an excellent finish, he's likely to feature strongly

holidaysong
05/03/2009, 1:55 PM
Our hot prospect for the future is 20 year old forward Tiernan Mulvenna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiernan_Mulvenna). Hopefully, he'll get a look in this season.

BrayUnknowns
05/03/2009, 3:24 PM
Our hot prospect for the future is 20 year old forward Tiernan Mulvenna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiernan_Mulvenna). Hopefully, he'll get a look in this season.

But sure hasn't he been in the squad and playing games for the past 2 years now ?

At Bray we have a serious amount of really talanted young players making their way through the ranks. We will have at least 9 players from our A Team with the 1st team squad this season. Gareth Coughlan, Jake Kelly and John Mulroy had a bit of game time last season, but should be given a lot more this year, 3 superb players.

We also have the likes of Brian Kane, Chris Shields, Dane Massey, Darren Dunne, Dave Webster and Philip Knight who are all excellent players and hopefully have a big future with Bray ahead of them. There are also established youngsters in the squad like Derek Foran, Gary McCabe, Daryl Robson and Chris O'Connor.

dublinred
05/03/2009, 3:30 PM
Personal issues aside.

Parky is excellent with the ball into chest or feet, he will lay the ball on for Boco to run in behind on numerous occasions during a game.
We all thought the same when he signed, he got some unreal abuse from the terraces but he turned it around and when Parky was not in the side we were less effective.

Laying ball onto Boco is no good as he can't shoot otherwise he would be playing at a higher level we need Parkhouse to score headers as we have very poor return from set pieces and crosses, is he any good in the air?

Sam_Heggy
05/03/2009, 3:36 PM
Laying ball onto Boco is no good as he can't shoot otherwise he would be playing at a higher level we need Parkhouse to score headers as we have very poor return from set pieces and crosses, is he any good in the air?

Parky will score goals in a good team.

holidaysong
05/03/2009, 4:46 PM
But sure hasn't he been in the squad and playing games for the past 2 years now ?

Yeah but he's still young and it was only the First Division.*

*< Hides from First Division fans. >

Ezeikial
05/03/2009, 6:29 PM
keep an eye out for right back Mick Clarke at the Drogs. he's a great prospect

He has been very impressive on the few occassions I have seen him. He has a great chance to nail down a regular spot this season - definately worth keeping an eye on!

Sure we might even look to take him to Oriel next year :)

Dunny
05/03/2009, 6:53 PM

Keep an eye out for him, he'l be the one banging in the goals against ye...;):D

Candystripe
05/03/2009, 10:00 PM
James Mc Lean can play on either wing but better on the left.He tore Bohs apart in the LC in one of his few games last season.

My prediction is he will be across the water this time next season for a nice sum of money.

Redie
06/03/2009, 10:35 AM

While I know it is traditional at the Showgrounds to pass judgement on a player after five minutes I am confident that Parkhouse will prove to be a major asset to our squad this season.

CuanaD
06/03/2009, 1:32 PM
Maybe we should do our own "players to watch out for" on here, see how they perform.

Paddy Madden at Shels - on loan from Bohs - already scored a hatrick in the pre-season friendlies - was capped ireland underage & definitely one to watch out for
:ball:

Rovers1
06/03/2009, 1:58 PM
While I know it is traditional at the Showgrounds to pass judgement on a player after five minutes I am confident that Parkhouse will prove to be a major asset to our squad this season.

well then im just keeping it going ;) Plus ive seen Parkhouse play 5 or 6 times in the last year or so, and not once did he perform well.

im not saying he's not going to be a success or an asset to the squad but i was very surprised to hear he had signed, and still am.

GalwayRed
06/03/2009, 2:21 PM
Paddy Madden at Shels - on loan from Bohs - already scored a hatrick in the pre-season friendlies - was capped ireland underage & definitely one to watch out for
:ball:
Saw him twice in pre-season, looked very lively, could be one for the future. Hopefully he can keep that form going into the league matches now. Shame hes only on loan.

CuanaD
06/03/2009, 9:38 PM
Saw him twice in pre-season, looked very lively, could be one for the future. Hopefully he can keep that form going into the league matches now. Shame hes only on loan.Yeah, Patrick is quality - worth the ticket price IMO. & he scored the 1st tonight, good start:ball: