PDA

View Full Version : Bray v Rovers

BrayUnknowns
04/03/2009, 3:35 PM
1st game of the 09 season is only 2 days away and i'm feeling slightly optimistic about it i have to say. Goal scoring will always be a problem for us (it pretty much always has been) but this year i think we look tighter at the back than we have in years. In saying that i've heard Brennan is out for a few weeks with a hamstring injury so he will be a big loss.

Good home form should see us well safe again this year, i think our home record was only 2nd to Bohs last season and if we can pick up a few more points on the road then we should be safe enough.

I'll go for a score draw in the opening game against Rovers, 1-1. But it will be a very tough opening fixture, especially with the midfield they have, on paper i think it's the best in the league, hopefully there all still getting used to playing under a new manager and are a bit slow off the blocks on Friday.

naoise kennedy
04/03/2009, 8:20 PM
1st game of the 09 season is only 2 days away and i'm feeling slightly optimistic about it i have to say. Goal scoring will always be a problem for us (it pretty much always has been) but this year i think we look tighter at the back than we have in years. In saying that i've heard Brennan is out for a few weeks with a hamstring injury so he will be a big loss.

Good home form should see us well safe again this year, i think our home record was only 2nd to Bohs last season and if we can pick up a few more points on the road then we should be safe enough.

I'll go for a score draw in the opening game against Rovers, 1-1. But it will be a very tough opening fixture, especially with the midfield they have, on paper i think it's the best in the league, hopefully there all still getting used to playing under a new manager and are a bit slow off the blocks on Friday.

We do indeed look tighter in defense, brennan being out will be a loss, maybe tresson will be in there. centre mid we look strong, my only problem is on the wings maybe john flood with paddy on the other side would be good. I thing we should go with doyle and forsyth up front.

centre mid
04/03/2009, 8:44 PM
good to see John Flood back

BrayUnknowns
05/03/2009, 1:52 PM
We do indeed look tighter in defense, brennan being out will be a loss, maybe tresson will be in there. centre mid we look strong, my only problem is on the wings maybe john flood with paddy on the other side would be good. I thing we should go with doyle and forsyth up front.

Kavanagh and Coughlan pon the wings - IMO 2 of the best young wingers in the League. We all know what Kav can do but Coughlan is going be be a big player for us this year. Don't you mean Byrne and Forsyth ? I reckon Flood will only be a bit part player at best for us this season, far 2 injury prone...

dublinwanderer
05/03/2009, 3:07 PM
According to bray website, gormely has a full squad to choose from......

great game to start the season... big crowd, great money for the club!!! lets now hope we can get a result!!!!

a draw would be ok, but really hope they can keep it tight at the back and maybe sneak a goal.... ;)

:D

Martinho II
05/03/2009, 7:36 PM
i was speaking to stephen gough the other night at training.. lets just say that he doesnt like eddie gormley much at all..

naoise kennedy
05/03/2009, 7:38 PM
Kavanagh and Coughlan pon the wings - IMO 2 of the best young wingers in the League. We all know what Kav can do but Coughlan is going be be a big player for us this year. Don't you mean Byrne and Forsyth ? I reckon Flood will only be a bit part player at best for us this season, far 2 injury prone...

yeah i mean byrne, coughlan is a good player but is he too young/strong.

BrayUnknowns
06/03/2009, 1:24 PM
i was speaking to stephen gough the other night at training.. lets just say that he doesnt like eddie gormley much at all..

Lets be honest, Goughy has quite a few enemys in the League, Ask the Rovers fans what they think of him :D

naoise kennedy
06/03/2009, 9:19 PM
Great match huge crown, paddy was fantastic. defense looked very strong foran(hope he's ok) and pender had great games,massey looked a bit nervous in the first few minutes but settled down ok. skippy made some great saves again. byrne very unlucky with hitting the post, he deserved a goal... coughlan had a good game looked dangerous...

Seagull
06/03/2009, 9:31 PM
coughlan had a good game looked dangerous...

In those pink boots, he looked very dangerous!! :eek:

tippex
06/03/2009, 9:32 PM
byrne looked a bit off the pace.
Thought eddie should have brought mulroy on earlier and taken mccabe off (he wasnt good again).
Great crowd hopefully we can keep them in but credit to rovers they brought a great crowd with them.

lowflyingseagul
06/03/2009, 9:35 PM
good performance, unlucky not to get the win. need an out and out striker badly

naoise kennedy
06/03/2009, 9:49 PM
byrne looked a bit off the pace.
Thought eddie should have brought mulroy on earlier and taken mccabe off (he wasnt good again).
Great crowd hopefully we can keep them in but credit to rovers they brought a great crowd with them.

Agree mccabe did not have a good game, i taught that eddie might have taken him off at half time, move paddy out wide and put forsyth up front with byrne.

27/7 365
06/03/2009, 10:27 PM
goughy had a good career at rovers.left when money was tight i think

Joe Strummer
07/03/2009, 12:54 AM
goughy had a good career at rovers.left when money was tight i think

No, left when Buckley went, and Buckley’s lovechild was not good for Rovers or any other team for that matter. One of the worst/overrated players ever to grace the league. The man could not cross a ball to save his life

MickNolan
07/03/2009, 10:03 AM
If you ask me i though last night was a poor match all together! Both teams were set out to defend. Never the less there was a good crowed and there were some good chances...

Oh and thank you for the "Good luck in Tallaght Stadium" banner. It ment alot to us :)

lowflyingseagul
07/03/2009, 10:37 AM
2500 season tickets is impressive, not sure they're going to get value for money but its very impressive all the same

connaman
07/03/2009, 11:06 AM
I thought last nights game was a very encouraging start to the season, the defence looked very solid and masseys corners were very dangerous, unlike some of you i thought Byrne looked like a good target man all through the game, would agree about McCabe again looked a little lacking in something.
Great crowd i hope some of the fans will go and tell their friends and family about how good league of ireland football can be.

Grey Boy
07/03/2009, 6:10 PM
I thought Byrne was very disappointing. Your target men need to win something in the air and hold the ball. Early days but I'd be much happier with Mulroy starting if Byrne only offers what he did last night. Massey had a great game. In fact the back 4 did really well. Does anyone know whats wrong with Foran?

Next 2 games will tell a lot about how we'll do this season.

centre mid
07/03/2009, 6:16 PM
Does anyone know whats wrong with Foran?

Looked like his shoulder popped out.

BrayUnknowns
08/03/2009, 5:26 PM
Good start to the season,good atmosphere healthy crowd of just under 3,000
Defence is astonishing,Dane massey has a huge future i really think.
Thought though that we lose the ball to easlily

And does anyone else think the pitch at the carlise is a bit small?

It's the same size as it always is, so to answer your question, No.

Martinho II
09/03/2009, 7:05 PM
Lets be honest, Goughy has quite a few enemys in the League, Ask the Rovers fans what they think of him :D

will ask him that the next time i will speak to him!:D how did daire doyle play fri night??

lowflyingseagul
10/03/2009, 9:40 AM
Eddie's interview on MNS last night was a classic.

BrayUnknowns
10/03/2009, 1:00 PM
Generally though do you think its a bit small?

Not really. It has to be within certian dimensions, each pitch is a different size so personally i think it is fine.

how did daire doyle play fri night?? ?

I thought Daire did very well for us on Friday night, himself and Mulcahy look like a good partnership and certianly know how to put a good shift in. One thing i noticed about him is that he has good leadership qualities, never stopped talking to the younger lads on the team and was full of prise for anything they did.

Edit - Whay is the word S h i f t coming up as an ***** ?

superfrank
10/03/2009, 1:11 PM
You missed the F when you typed it in.

Agree that Doyle and Mulcahy did well in the midfield. Looks promising for the rest of the season.

Hulsey
10/03/2009, 4:32 PM
I thought Byrne put in a decent display. He won everything in the air, but he can't be expected to run onto his own flick ons. He received very little ball on the ground so a bit puzzling that people are having a pop at him for not holding up the ball.

Good start to the season, should have won and everyone bar McCabe and Coughlan were very impressive. Their crossing and shooting was poor all game

BrayUnknowns
10/03/2009, 4:44 PM
Say for example the surface at Dalymount,must be bigger than the Carlisle's.
I would expect there to be a decent sized pitch at Tallaght

Pretty much EVERY single pitch in the league is a different size. Once its within certian dimensions then it is perfectly ok. I personally don't think it is to small.

If its good enough for international game sthen its good enough for League of Ireland games.