PDA

View Full Version : McKenna returns to the Mons

Magicme
04/03/2009, 10:13 AM
Former Monaghan United, Kildare County, Shelbourne and Longford Town Darren McKenna has returned to his first League of Ireland club for the 2009 season.

When McKenna was last at Monaghan in 2003 he was the top goal scorer before he headed off to Australia for a year. When he returned, McKenna signed for Kildare County where he scored 10 goals in his 32 appearances before moving on to Shelbourne where he made 10 appearances under Dermot Kiely in 2007.

Relegated Longford Town were next to snap up McKenna in 2008 where he was their top scorer and scored against his former clubs Monaghan United, Shelbourne and Kildare County during the campaign. Of his 13 goals scored, McKenna scored a hattrick in his opening game for Longford against Sporting Fingal and continued to provide Longford with goals up to their 2nd last game of the season.

At 6ft 3inches McKenna offers Cooke some great options up front when he teams up with David Freeman or Karl Bermingham. Cooke has a solid defence and midfield seems to be sown up so his signings of proven first division strikers further trumpets United’s intentions for the coming season.

McKenna has not played under Cooke before as he was at Monaghan prior to Cooke’s appointment but he should slot easily into the squad for 2009.

“Darren is a good addition to our squad and I am glad to have him on board. He is a proven goal scorer and opens up more options for me” Cooke stated.

Monaghan United’s first game of the season is away to Longford Town on Saturday 7th March at 7.30pm and the first home game of the season is against Shelbourne on Friday 13th March where McKenna will hope he will get his goal scoring for the Mons off to a good start against his former clubs.

Royal rover
05/03/2009, 10:51 AM
what's the verdict on this Niall Flynn youngster that Cooke has taken from the youth set up

Blue Bear
05/03/2009, 11:54 AM
Did he play in any pre-season games?

Magicme
05/03/2009, 5:07 PM
Niall is a fab young fella with a good future ahead. Not sure what Mick's take on him at the moment is yet but I know that one of the reasons him, Aaron and Seamus Quigley signed up is to help them along with some first team coaching get them used to senior football and hopefully give them a run out at some stage.

Fingers crossed the 3 young local lads will get an opportunity this season to show what they can do and if not, they will be in the long term plans of the squad. Thats how Paul Whelan started and now he is approaching his 100th appearance for the team.

As for in pre-season, not 100% sure as only made it to the Dundalk game myself.

Martinho II
05/03/2009, 7:45 PM
interesting to see how mckenna will do in your second spell for ye but rest assured he will score for ye saturday nite thats for sure!!

Magicme
06/03/2009, 8:07 AM
I hope your right Marty!! :D

Martinho II
09/03/2009, 7:26 PM
interesting to see how mckenna will do in your second spell for ye but rest assured he will score for ye saturday nite thats for sure!!

how did mckenna and freeman play together up front?? and how come ye didnt have shirt sponsor this season??

Magicme
09/03/2009, 7:29 PM
1. They didnt get much chance up front together as McKenna replaced Freeman on the pitch!

2. We are in what Dylan calls a "Pre-Boom" situation so money is tight and sponsors are scarce!