PDA

View Full Version : Limerick on Friday

pineapple stu
03/03/2009, 12:41 PM
What can we expect?

Absolutely no idea myself. Think we can win this if pre-season form is anything to go by. Could easily see us losing it though. It'll possibly set a trend for the rest of the season - we'll know what we're like.

HarpoJoyce
03/03/2009, 3:59 PM
What can we expect?

Absolutely no idea myself. Think we can win this if pre-season form is anything to go by. Could easily see us losing it though. It'll possibly set a trend for the rest of the season - we'll know what we're like.

Well I wouldn't base ou season on one League game.

I expect to enjoy myself. Looking forward to meeting new friends and visiting new grounds.

Poor Student
03/03/2009, 6:22 PM
Limerick seem to have had a pre-season that was less than ideal. Have they even replaced Kerley? I seem to recall reading their fans complaining that some key players from last season were not retained.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I feel we could play some very nice football this year with a centre midfield of Bolger and Finn, two attack minded players, and with Reilly and Ward you have two very direct wingers. I'm not sure how that will play out defensively but hopefully it will make for entertaining stuff.

pineapple stu
03/03/2009, 7:51 PM
Have they even replaced Kerley?
No. They've a three-man selection committee (or some such system) in place for Friday apparently.

Schumi
03/03/2009, 10:52 PM
No. They've a three-man selection committee (or some such system) in place for Friday apparently.

Can't help preparation, you'd have to wonder what their training has been like.

John83
03/03/2009, 11:01 PM
There's a video of it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w).

Schumi
03/03/2009, 11:13 PM
Damn it, there goes my raspberry plan. :mad:

Lim till i die
03/03/2009, 11:39 PM

Training has been pretty good by all accounts.

You would worry about set pieces and what not I suppose.

We have lost two players from last season. One was a squad player, the other one did very well but has been replaced to an extent.

We still have a very, very, good squad by First Division standards and in ideal circumstances I would fully expect us to challenge.

First game of the season away to UCD might be coming a bit early for us mind.

Midfield battle should be very interesting if your boys are as good as you say because frankly we have the best midfield in the division going on what I saw last year. Although we are missing Jason Hughes Friday. :o

Wayne Colbert is top, top, drawer though and Yellow Lyons is a great prospect and tough as fook.

Good game in prospect (we try to play ball aswell.)..... Unless of course you're two nil up after ten minutes.... which is a distinct possibility given the circumstances. :)

John83
04/03/2009, 12:40 AM
Midfield battle should be very interesting if your boys are as good as you say because frankly we have the best midfield in the division going on what I saw last year.
Finn's certainly as good as you'll see in this division. Bolger's not had much time in the first team, but he's highly rated by people who've seen more of him than me. He has a good eye for a pass. I'm interested to see if he's ready. If he is, I'd be fairly positive about our season. If not, we'll have to see.

Schumi
04/03/2009, 9:43 AM
I saw Limerick away to Shels at the end of last season and while they looked a decent side, they wouldn't scare me. What our team is like is more of an unknown. Should be a competitive game anyway which would be a nice change from most of last year.

pineapple stu
04/03/2009, 5:56 PM
What our team is like is more of an unknown.
True, although I'd hazard a guess that Ward, Bolger, Finn and Reilly would be as good a midfield as any in the First, Fungus and Shels aside. Which hopefully will neutralise Limerick's advantage and we can go for victory safe in the knowledge that we have a forward proven at this level. :)

Jofspring
04/03/2009, 6:47 PM
I saw Limerick away to Shels at the end of last season and while they looked a decent side, they wouldn't scare me. What our team is like is more of an unknown. Should be a competitive game anyway which would be a nice change from most of last year.

I wouldn't go too much by the performance against Shels. Limerick have played alot better than that last season. Just ask the Dundalk and Waterford fans and players from last season, they even admitted we played both teams off the park in our last two meetings with them and should have given Fingal a good beating too.

No manager announced yet and will not be till after friday. Mick Sheils, Paul O Donnell (both part of the Limerick set up last season in A team) and Dave Mahedy (involved with UL, fitness and training are what he works on i think), they will be picking the team for friday. We should have a good first 15 up on friday but how they perform for the first game of the season with only one pre-season matched played is another story.

I'm being optimistic from our point of view UCD 0-1 Limerick :ball: