PDA

View Full Version : Morrison will get World Cup chance against Dutch

Neil
09/06/2001, 12:42 PM
The Crystal Palace striker will be pressed into action when Holland come to Dublin for a game the Dutch have to win.

Clinton Morrisson will get a chance in September (Sportsfile)
Irish boss Mick McCarthy has been impressed for Morrison's under 21 outings to date.

And he is set to call the Republic's newest player into the senior squad for the first time when Holland bring their World Cup ambitions to Lansdowne Road in three months time.

McCarthy needs cover up front as doubts rise about Niall Quinn's fitness and a loss of form affects Leeds United's Robbie Keane.

"I am looking for some of the younger players to make a push for the senior squad in the autumn and Clinton definitely comes into the frame for that," McCarthy told sports.com.

"I have watched his two games with the under 21s to date and while he hasn't scored he has impressed me with his work-rate and his touch.

"He is not the only player at under 21 level catching my eye. I go to their games to see what players I can pinch from Don Givens and there are quite a few in the running now.

"Millwall midfielder Stephen Reid is a candidate - he's done very well and I like the look of him.

"Manchester United defender John O'Shea and Celtic midfielder Colin Healy also look ready to step up. And I have always liked the Sunderland midfielder Thomas Butler."

Morrison has welcomed that vote of confidence from McCarthy, the man who persuaded him to pick Ireland ahead of England and Jamaica for his international career.

And he would love the chance to make his full debut against the Dutch come September.

"That is my aim now - I want to get back to Crystal Palace after the summer, train hard and show Mick that I am good enough for the senior squad," said Morrison as Ireland flew home from their successful mission to Estonia.

"I have been happy with my progress to date with the under-21s and Mick McCarthy had some good things to say to me about those games which was nice.

"I just want to impress him further now and maybe get that chance against the Dutch come September."

rebel yell
09/06/2001, 5:07 PM
Let's not carried away. Remember Mark Kelly of Portsmouth. No!!!
Well exactly. He was a young bloke with a future who was made up too soon. I'm sure Robbie will be refreshed after the summer.
It's Quinn who's the problem. Peter Reid is desperate to sign a
beanpole to replace him- Jancker is the latest i hear. But I think
Doherty might be worth a shot as he plays well there for Spurs and must be learning from Rebrov.

The Legend
10/06/2001, 12:47 AM
I was kinda of hoping Doherty might turn out to be a great Central Defender for us...

Hard to decide which we need more at the moment!:confused:

joe
10/06/2001, 12:54 AM
doesn't Hoddle prefer playing 3 centre-backs and with Campbell leaving Doherty has a shot there surely

rebel yell
10/06/2001, 8:47 AM
I think it's only Big Mick that doesn't fancy Doherty up front. I think
both Hoddle and Graham have played him there and they are no
mean judges of players. I don't like Breen either but Mick thinks
the sun shines out his ass and I can't see Gary given the nod over him. I know it's a close call to have Doherty, with Breen dropped, and a half fit Quinn up front or Breen with at least
someone fully fit and not past it in my humble opinion in the shape
of Doherty.:rolleyes:

Gaz
11/06/2001, 2:11 PM
Doherty has only been used up top by Spurs as a replacment player - the only options they had were Rebrov (who hasn't exactly been consistant) Armstrong (smeg) Ferdinand (old slow and injured). With Sheringham back, and Campbell out, I'm sure well see Doc played in the back line from now on.

gustavo
22/06/2001, 12:38 AM
do ye not think its a disgrase that theres a chance morrison might go straight into the team against holland even tho if he was given the right signals by eriksson he would never have declared for us in the first place

Neil
22/06/2001, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by gustavo
do ye not think its a disgrase that theres a chance morrison might go straight into the team against holland even tho if he was given the right signals by eriksson he would never have declared for us in the first place

Yes, I agree. Although there's something to be said for the 'win at all costs attitude', we have to maintain some sort of morals. And letting this mercenary little Englishman line-out for us is ruining all morals.

gustavo
22/06/2001, 12:50 AM
yeah i mean for all the limited ability of kilbane and breen at least they wanted to play for ireland

fonzi
09/07/2001, 6:22 PM
this is disgusting!
Crowe before Morrison any day!
crow is a goal scorer morrison is Not
34 goals talk for them selves

niamh
15/07/2001, 8:15 PM
Morrison was scoring regularly until the whole Crystal Palace team had a drop in form and nearly got themselves relegated... (or did they??). Until he was knocking them in frequently.

BTW Robbie Keane did not suffer a drop of form with Leeds. He got nine goals in fifteen appearances and then Tony Adams stood on his ankle and finished his season until the Irish games, in which he wasn't really fit. He'll be back in September.

Pauro 76
17/07/2001, 9:11 AM
Morrison is clearly a sunshine player, he plays well when the team plays well. But clearly Crowe is a natural goalscorer, and would score in any league, and therefore should be in the team ahead of him. As for Breen and Dunne, a Division One backline against the might of Holland and Portugal? Not gonna work, im afraid!

Xlex
17/07/2001, 9:55 AM
Dunne the honeymonster, and Breen the Donkey, did a job the last time,as long as they have the pride in the shirt, it may elevate their game.... What pride could that fu*cker Morrison ever have in the Irish shirt, and therefore how may his inclusion ever be desired.. Morrison out, Crowe for Irish no.10

Pauro 76
17/07/2001, 1:39 PM
Agree with ya Xlex (what kinda name is that!!!), if your going to play for the shirt, Irelnad should be your first choice of team to play for. Fair enough, hes got roots here, but if he states that England was his first choice all along, whats he doing here then! Nothing against the lad, im sure hes a decent player, but only players with pride in their country should play. And Crowe for Ireland!

Xlex
17/07/2001, 2:51 PM
Originally posted by PAURO 7
Agree with ya Xlex (what kinda name is that)

Pauro 7 has the imagination flying....... should slap a copyright on it like Mr. Beckham

fonzi
17/07/2001, 9:53 PM
and that ***** mc carthy didnt even know that Crowe scored twice in the champions league qualifyer
what kind of a manager is he?
id rather support bohs than ireland
and thats a lot for me to say-im a cork city sheddie!

Brine
19/07/2001, 11:16 PM
sure aren't half the Dutch team from Surinam

Xlex
20/07/2001, 9:33 AM
they still want to play for Holland, they don't turn around and say..........

Can't get in the bleedin surinam team so f*ck it i'll have to play with Holland.....

They grow up thinking of Van Basten etc. They always want to play for holland.

God forbid our foreign legion only dream of staunton and how mobile he is on that bloody zimmer frame......... Retire........

Brine
20/07/2001, 5:28 PM
They play for Holland because they know they don't stand a chance of qualifying with Surinam.

Martystapo
21/07/2001, 1:33 PM
Actually is Surinam even part of UEFA?? Havent heard of them playing in the Copa America anyway... Maybe we should invade a South American country and poach a few of their players...

fonzi
22/07/2001, 7:56 PM
yeah we should due manly to the fact that the 2nd rate crap were getting from brittan is ****e and it wont be long when ireland will be going through another spewll out of international compatitions-world cups and stuff.......ooooops thats allready happining isnt it??????

Neil
14/08/2001, 8:09 PM
Look at this (http://www.rte.ie/redir/sport/2001/0814/soccer/morrisonc.html), what a load a bo!!ix.

gypsydownunder
15/08/2001, 9:25 AM
Why all the comotion about Clinton. Jesus you'd swear it was Bill Clinton that was about to line out.

I approach this from the unusual angle of supporting both Bohs and Crystal Palace. Clinton has been playing well for the Eagles and for now I would put him ahead of Crowe - on the grounds that the English First Division IS a higher standard league.

Xlex
15/08/2001, 10:20 AM
.....see Pat Dolan's article in the Star yesterday??

Dolan reckoned, Mick McCarthy should attend eL games when possible.

He kinda said the Irish manager should go, not to increase a players chance of playing for ireland, but to increase the profile of the league. Was he at the cup final??? Was he at any games???

This only makes a case for Crowe even tougher.

In Morrisons case, he got a cup run... Foley had a bright spell at Watford. They are fcuk all now and all McCarthy can do it rant about them

pete
15/08/2001, 11:39 AM
Crystal Palace striker Clinton Morrison has declared he always wanted to play for the Republic of Ireland while growing up. Although Morrison took some time to finally make up his mind

Does that make sense to anyone?

Morrison will only have as much loyalty as any player would have for any team i.e. he will want to win every game just like anyone would.

Why was Micko begging Morrison to declare for ireland? Will be another Butler? Butler couldn't even hack it against an eL selection let alone Jan Koller :D :D :D

joe
15/08/2001, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by rebel

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crystal Palace striker Clinton Morrison has declared he always wanted to play for the Republic of Ireland while growing up. Although Morrison took some time to finally make up his mind
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does that make sense to anyone?

maybe it took him some time to grow up?

livehead1
28/09/2006, 2:42 AM
35 caps and 9 goals later i wonder how many people still reckon crowe is a better bet than morrison! jokers!

gustavo
28/09/2006, 3:01 AM
Players get better and get worse over time , its not an unknown phenomenon , I'm sure Morrison was a better player than Doyle at the time but he isnt now.