PDA

View Full Version : Those were the days....

Keen2win
28/02/2009, 4:07 PM
Right so I've been thinking of doing this for a while!

Any memories anyone would like to share with us about LTFC?

Maybe it was the first game you went too, funniest moment, happiest, saddest, best in Section O, old photos, basically anything would be cool!:D

Don't be shy now people this could make for a good thread;)

Tallanted
28/02/2009, 4:39 PM
Pats in the league cup in richmond park in 1998.. Pats fans chantin sheep sh***ers to which pascal got up on his own and chanted back 'our sheep eat your grass'.. Its always stuck in my mind brilliant moment.. For the record we lost the game on penos

Martinho II
28/02/2009, 7:23 PM
one of my first memories as a town fan is leavin my bike in the garda station in the good old innocent days for the guards to look after the bikes and myself and my mates then walked down from Dublin St down to Abbeycartron the year was 1990..Another contributor on this forum who will remain nameless did the exact same thing too..;)

howsyourtouch
28/02/2009, 7:45 PM
bennie o,brien askin me to count how many people were at the match in mullolagher when i was around 7 or 8 and count something around 35 or 40...this was around 1996...also one of the big dublin teams comin down years and years ago singing about how they feel there goin skiing on the big grass slope!!it was a cup match!

Martinho II
28/02/2009, 7:49 PM
bennie o,brien askin me to count how many people were at the match in mullolagher when i was around 7 or 8 and count something around 35 or 40...this was around 1996...also one of the big dublin teams comin down years and years ago singing about how they feel there goin skiing on the big grass slope!!it was a cup match!

wonder was that shelbourne?? we played them in the fai cup in 1991..

Rovers1
28/02/2009, 8:03 PM
surely The Wex scoring against us in the 2007 season at The Showgies must stand up in the top 5?? He knew exactly where the goal was that night! I think the SRIWFC have a few pleasant memories of our trips down there, only the past 2/3 seasons though.

Pauro 76
01/03/2009, 11:56 AM
Some great moments against Pats. The 'we f*cked up your traffic' chant the day of the farmers' strike in Dublin. And against Shels, I wasnt there mind, Richie Baker got such an awful doing from the Section O, he had to switch wings. Great days and I do miss them.

max power
01/03/2009, 5:50 PM
Pauro do you remember the 7 man army in Vaduz:D

Two main for me are the walk from Vaduz town centre to the ground. The whole town came out to look at these mad Irish men and women being led by pipers to the game.....

Also beating bohs and winning the league cup in our own ground. Proud proud night and have to abandon the car half way into town and run the rest of the way to the ground fcuked me up completely.

HarpoJoyce
01/03/2009, 6:13 PM
one of my first memories as a town fan is leavin my bike in the garda station in the good old innocent days for the guards to look after the bikes and myself and my mates then walked down from Dublin St down to Abbeycartron the year was 1990..Another contributor on this forum who will remain nameless did the exact same thing too..;)

In the 1989-1990 season UCD first League game was against Longford. I remember the small stand in Abbeycatron that had and ex-cinema seats in it. Also Conor Timmons playing his first League game scoring with a diving header a foot off the ground, in amongst the feet of the Longford defenders. One other UCD player scored on his League debut that day either Ciaran Kavanagh or Packie Lynch. All three ended up legends for UCD.

Pauro 76
01/03/2009, 7:01 PM
One of my favourite moments was when there was a message from Adrian Duncan, ex chairman stating that people who got on our team's backs will be dealt with. 'You have been warmed.' was the mispelt final line... Section O? 'Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed!'

Many of the classic chants always bring back great memories for the likes of Notaro, Digger, Eric, Macker, Gartland....

Martinho II
01/03/2009, 7:10 PM
One of my favourite moments was when there was a message from Adrian Duncan, ex chairman stating that people who got on our team's backs will be dealt with. 'You have been warmed.' was the mispelt final line... Section O? 'Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed!'

Many of the classic chants always bring back great memories for the likes of Notaro, Digger, Eric, Macker, Gartland....

forgot that about adrian duncan priceless. what about the night in cobh??pauro 7 invading the pitch and joining in the squad in singin " goodbye to division one!".. the early days are the best in my opinion.. the pats cup match was a brilliant atmosphere along with the cup semi against waterford in 2001..

RonnieB
01/03/2009, 10:09 PM
I remember the Pats match in Flancare two years back.. All the St Pats fans ended up beside Section O... cue much abuse back and forth with a few little scummers from pats throwing over bottles etc. They go one nil up... It was like Custers last stand. Then that judas Paisley goes and gives away a Penalty which Mooney scored. We ended up winning 3-1 they soon shut up then...

Longfordian
01/03/2009, 10:35 PM
Was that game not 2-1 to us rather than 3-1?. Anyhow, Pats have provided a lot of good memories for us over the years but I'll always particularly remember the time we beat them in the FAI Cup in 2001 after a replay in Richmond. Foot and Mouth had meant an enforced break of a month or so and that was the first game back. Keith O'Connor got the winner and we had to endure about ten minutes injury time. The players and staff celebrated as though we'd won the cup itself, doing dives in front of the fans etc and there was a good couple of hundred Town fans going mental as well. Fun times. Then there was the 2003 Final..

Pauro 76
02/03/2009, 5:41 AM
I remember the Pats match in Flancare two years back.. All the St Pats fans ended up beside Section O... cue much abuse back and forth with a few little scummers from pats throwing over bottles etc. They go one nil up... It was like Custers last stand. Then that judas Paisley goes and gives away a Penalty which Mooney scored. We ended up winning 3-1 they soon shut up then...

forgot that about adrian duncan priceless. what about the night in cobh??pauro 7 invading the pitch and joining in the squad in singin " goodbye to division one!".. the early days are the best in my opinion.. the pats cup match was a brilliant atmosphere along with the cup semi against waterford in 2001..

Ahhhh great days... most of our finest moments have been against Pat's weirdly enough.

Salmon Coloured
02/03/2009, 7:27 AM
I remember we beat Derry City 5-1 in Abbeycartron in 1985. They brought hundreds with them & some people watched the game sitting on top of the stand if i remember. Also the ball got burst during the game too.
All the Cup Finals & of course anytime we have beaten Cork, thats just a personal one though. For those of you who know me will know why.
I also remember leaving my bike into the Guards also to head to Abbeycartron.
Vaduz walk was also classic, amazing scenery & a few hundred Longfordians living one of lifes little dreams.

ltfc_2004
02/03/2009, 9:42 AM
Have to agree with Longfordian on the Pats cup game, wonderful game and then the injury time going on forever .....................

Of course the Cup final wins will always stand out.

Who can forget the playoff with Harps .............. Its still great watching the DVD and seeing me first on the pitch and then not knowing what to do LOL

More recent game I remember well was Rovers in Tolka in the league where we had 2 goals disallowed, everyone going ape**** and then Mooney scoring a last minute winner and we thought the great escape was on from relegation.

I suppose some of the best memories are just having a pint with people you would not have normally met and becoming friends with them and having the craic at games. Indeed a very drunk Pauro in Bray springs to mind " Hey Pauro leave those kids alone" !!!

On a related point and touchy point for many who could not go, the game in Bulgaria against Lovech when Henry Kenny should have scored in the last 5 minutes

Massop 10
02/03/2009, 9:24 PM
Ah yes the play-off, what a night !!!! Playing 5 a-side with a coke bottle with vinny perth at 1 am :) and making new friends at the chippers :D They know who they are !!!
The cup semi in Waterford - The hardship of organising the bus (but well worth it), Shamie in the photos and Marty getting annoyed at us throwing paper at him !
Getting soaked at the first cup final but still having a great time even though we lost and of course the other big cup days were great but for there own reasons !!!

Xlex
03/03/2009, 9:12 AM
The cup finals were always special but here is one a little left field.

Stuart Holts bolt against St. Pat's in the final game of some season... Lawlors season....

Pauro 76
03/03/2009, 9:18 AM
'Let's all do the Holty!'

Who were the new friends at the chipper Massop? ;)

Macy
03/03/2009, 10:22 AM
The Cup Finals obviously, especially the first win against Pats. Actually, the middle two not just because of results, but arguably section O at it's height.

"Get out if you're drinking that" as we were getting booted out of the annaly by Reynolds for drinking Buckfast after the first cup win.

I forget the year, but the trip to Derry on Turtle Travel that got back to Longford after 5, after a stop in Donegal Town. A mad trip.

Niall Byrne's goal in Cork in the Cup. Holty's goal to keep us up (and Pats hitting the post).

The promotion season, spent in a druken haze in the small stand that ran the length of the pitch (when the Buckfast Army actually went to games).

Seamie on the pitch in Waterford, and then the two page spread in the mirror (?) that followed. Pina Colada's at 10am the same match!

I'm sure there'd be more on the pitch stuff if I really thought about it, but to be honest it's the off the pitch stuff that seperates going to watch live football rather than watching it on tele. You can't get the off the pitch memories watching sky sports...

Ronnie
03/03/2009, 10:37 AM
Finn Harps tops the list, Pats cup game replay in Tolka, first cup win, League Cup win, Drogs semi final replay, second cup win, first Cup final, Cork away in cup in 01, Cobh, semi in 01, both games, cup final 01, cup final 07, league cup final second half 03, Cork 4-1 in Flancare second season up, Mumbles overhead v Rovers in first season up, Lovech home, Linfield and Glentorn Setanta, Bohs in League after Kenny left.

Pauro 76
03/03/2009, 11:48 AM
Graham Gartland's antics in the Annaly after winning the Cup.

'He never f*cks up,
he sh@gs the Cup'....

Priceless! :D

Martinho II
03/03/2009, 4:40 PM
Was that game not 2-1 to us rather than 3-1?. Anyhow, Pats have provided a lot of good memories for us over the years but I'll always particularly remember the time we beat them in the FAI Cup in 2001 after a replay in Richmond. Foot and Mouth had meant an enforced break of a month or so and that was the first game back. Keith O'Connor got the winner and we had to endure about ten minutes injury time. The players and staff celebrated as though we'd won the cup itself, doing dives in front of the fans etc and there was a good couple of hundred Town fans going mental as well. Fun times. Then there was the 2003 Final..
ah how can I forget the cup match in incicore i won over hundred euros on the town beatin pats that night and went to angels and celebrated my winnings!!

Pauro 76
03/03/2009, 5:34 PM
ah how can I forget the cup match in incicore i won over hundred euros on the town beatin pats that night and went to angels and celebrated my winnings!!

He's loving Angels instead. ;)

Town Legend
06/03/2009, 1:19 AM
One of my memories was back in the day when St. Francis were in the League. We played them in the Strokestown Road as it was known then. It was either Kenny's first or second season. Was in the old Guinness stand in the corner with a mate of mine, things going well, 2-0 up with about 10 minutes left. St. Francis pull a goal back and my mate turns to me laughing saying we'll do a Wimbledon!!! Earlier that day Wimbledon were playing West Ham and were 3-1 up and West Ham came back with 3 late goals to win 4-3. Well by the end of our game my mate was lucky he didn't comeout of the Strokestown Road with a broken nose!!! Yes De Town shipped 3 late goals in the last 10 minutes to somehow lose 3-2!!!!

Not a good memory but its probably the main one of the old days that sticks in my head. Can look back on it now and laugh but that night I was nearly in tears!!!! :D

Pauro 76
06/03/2009, 3:06 PM
'Pass To Prunty on the left hand side'..

De Town
06/03/2009, 3:36 PM
One of my memories was back in the day when St. Francis were in the League. We played them in the Strokestown Road as it was known then. It was either Kenny's first or second season. Was in the old Guinness stand in the corner with a mate of mine, things going well, 2-0 up with about 10 minutes left. St. Francis pull a goal back and my mate turns to me laughing saying we'll do a Wimbledon!!! Earlier that day Wimbledon were playing West Ham and were 3-1 up and West Ham came back with 3 late goals to win 4-3. Well by the end of our game my mate was lucky he didn't comeout of the Strokestown Road with a broken nose!!! Yes De Town shipped 3 late goals in the last 10 minutes to somehow lose 3-2!!!!

Not a good memory but its probably the main one of the old days that sticks in my head. Can look back on it now and laugh but that night I was nearly in tears!!!! :D

ha i was about to write about that very game myself!

Maz
06/03/2009, 11:04 PM
Oh there have been some great ones!

Stuart Holts free kick against St. Pats

Ballybofey - brilliant night

Vaduz - again as said before the walk from the town to the pitch was just unreal

Being the only girl on a bus to Drogheda one night after being "told" that everyone was booked on. Watched the game in the company of the legend Matt Murtagh (R.I.P) that night

Cup Finals 2003/2004

A night in Bray when I fell in love with Stuart Byrne HAHA

I'm sure there are loads more. Overall the people I've met and the friends I've made are the best!! Always have a laugh!

Martinho II
09/03/2009, 6:06 PM

can you remember who scored for us that day townlegend??

Town Legend
09/03/2009, 8:23 PM
Haven't a clue Marty. For some reason though Zellor sticks out in my mind for scoring one. Will google it and see if I get any answers!!!

Town Legend
09/03/2009, 8:39 PM
Jaysus my memory is so bad!!! :rolleyes: It went from 1-0 Longford to 1-1 and then with 10 mins left we went 2-1 up only to concede 2 late goals in last 5 mins. Vinny scored from a penalty and Mark Devlin got the other one.

Martinho II
10/03/2009, 6:28 PM
well then that was the 98-99 season as mark devlin had long departed the following season.. i wouldnt remember that match at all to be honest..