PDA

View Full Version : Tricolour at EL games

TheRealRovers
28/11/2003, 6:07 PM
I was reading Pat Dolan’s piece in the star about EL clubs not flying the Tricolour in there grounds.
We fly it and the Connaught flag but what clubs don't fly it? I know Harps is one of the clubs who don't.

pineapple stu
28/11/2003, 6:52 PM
Only time I ever saw a tricolour at Belfield was for the European game.

Part of the UEFA licencing though is to have three flag-poles, which we have now. I presume this will be compulsory from next year. So you could be docked points for not flying a flag!

brendy_éire
28/11/2003, 7:21 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
I presume this will be compulsory from next year. So you could be docked points for not flying a flag!

I think our Board will have something to say about that. One of the complaints against the IL made by City supporters is the amount of Union Jack and Northern Ireland flags at matches.
Derry City isn't a sectarian club, though flying the tri-colour could be viewed as such by some.

TheRealRovers
28/11/2003, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by brendy_eire
I think our Board will have something to say about that. One of the complaints against the IL made by City supporters is the amount of Union Jack and Northern Ireland flags at matches.
Derry City isn't a sectarian club, though flying the tri-colour could be viewed as such by some.
It's different in the six counties where flying the tri-colour could be seen as sectarian but there’s no reason why clubs in the south can't fly it.

dortie
30/11/2003, 10:00 AM
I dont see why we should be any different and not fly the tricolour, at the end of the day we play in the EL not the IL and with the whole issue of parity of esteem being repeated by all pro-agreement politicians there should not be a problem with it, but of course there will be because its not the union jack.

EireBadBoy
02/12/2003, 2:07 PM
There is no reason for other clubs not to fly the National Flag and I'd love to see it at the 'Randy but it would be a nightmare!!:rolleyes:

John83
02/12/2003, 2:47 PM
Do you reckon you'll fly it anyway? I'd just leave it be to avoid the arguement, but maybe you feel a bit differantly.

dortie
02/12/2003, 2:57 PM
Id be all for flying it on the basis that we play in the Eircom league...!! Im sure the few protestants that attend the Brandy (im not sure how many) would not raise an issue with it. But im sure some people within the club wouldnt have the balls.