PDA

View Full Version : Inter Toto Cup Geography

pete
28/11/2003, 4:58 PM
Inter-toto Cup almost always means get teams from far flung countries... In recent years Pats had Croatia & Belgium, Rovers had Poland & the Chech republic...

Select your choice of preferred location for opposition...

;)

sadloserkid
28/11/2003, 5:15 PM
Er... not to quibble but aren't the Ukraine and Belarus both ex-Soviet republics? :confused:

And the Baltic states too while we're at it...

patsh
28/11/2003, 6:51 PM
The Baltic area is normally beautiful in July. Excellent beer, good quality food and cost of living is about a third of here.

Druss
29/11/2003, 12:56 AM
Baltics seem the runaway winner so far. Got my vote too.

Loner
29/11/2003, 3:46 PM
I understand you wanna travel far but I'd like City to visit Holland. You will see one Dutchman supporting City in the homestands.
But first you must not make a mistake on Sunday...all the best lads!

ps. we are facing mayhem in the temple of doom. Sunday it's - ajax - Feyenoord

Éanna
30/11/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by patsh
The Baltic area is normally beautiful in July. Excellent beer, good quality food and cost of living is about a third of here.
Yeah, cept its cloudy in Latvia in June :) Baltics win hands down, I just finished the last of my vodka from the last trip the other day so its time for a top up! estonia could be nice. I hear Bulgaria is good craic too....

ccfc till i die
30/11/2003, 9:48 PM
Originally posted by Loner
I understand you wanna travel far but I'd like City to visit Holland. You will see one Dutchman supporting City in the homestands.
But first you must not make a mistake on Sunday...all the best lads!

ps. we are facing mayhem in the temple of doom. Sunday it's - ajax - Feyenoord

We would probably only get a dutch team if we had won a couple of matches so here's hoping we do end up in windmill central.

I'm up for Estonia:D

GavinZac
30/11/2003, 11:53 PM
Im thinking Cymbru Vale or someone so we could get like 1000 over there ;) :D

i reckon we could storm the city hall and get the city big flag on it. for a laugh like. :D

tiktok
01/12/2003, 4:09 PM
voted for the Baltic, but hopefully it'll be a much shorter trip than that....

ian
01/12/2003, 5:48 PM
I don't care where we go once we can have a few beers and a good laugh and all that and get the right result.

jofyisgod
01/12/2003, 5:52 PM
Somewhere closer to home means more away support, which could mean better results.

pete
02/12/2003, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Er... not to quibble but aren't the Ukraine and Belarus both ex-Soviet republics? :confused:

And the Baltic states too while we're at it...

Didn't think Ukraine etc... Soviet Republics but open to correction. Think Latvia 'n Co are the baltic Republics?

Didn't include Western Europe cos too obvious a destination. Think of it as a far flung location poll ;)

SÓC
02/12/2003, 11:29 AM
Just after remembering that with a load of this eastern block countries joining the EU next May it should make it nice and easy to get there. I'd say there'll be a lot of new flight routes opening up and we wont have visa problems, I'd say they'll all accept Euros too.

Roll on Malta

Éanna
02/12/2003, 3:06 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Would love some club like Herenveen or Groningen in Holland, but dunno if they're in the 1st round.
I think the dutch teams come in in the next round. cos when metalurgs beat us, the played heerenveen in the next round

GavinZac
03/12/2003, 8:58 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
I think the dutch teams come in in the next round. cos when metalurgs beat us, the played heerenveen in the next round

true.
uefa's intertoto site gives the seedings for last year, they wont change i reckon.

James
03/12/2003, 9:05 AM
Originally posted by GavinZac
true.
uefa's intertoto site gives the seedings for last year, they wont change i reckon.

you wudnt post the link to the seedings there please gavin
thanks
- james

GavinZac
03/12/2003, 10:37 AM
INTER TOTO DRAW DETAILS
All of this is estimation based on my opinion and last years draw

"Seedings
For the clubs entering the competition in the first round, the 16 highest-ranked clubs are seeded. In the second round, the 12 clubs which enter the competition at that stage are seeded. In the third round, the eight clubs which enter the competition at that stage are seeded. "

Going on last years seedings, in the first round we have 2/41 Chance of getting

Cyprus ......... Finland ........ Hungary ....... Poland
Romania ...... Slovakia ....... Yugoslavia

and 1/41 of getting

Albania ..... Andorra ..... Armenia ..... Austria
Belgium .... Belrus ........ Bosnia ....... Bulgaria
Croatia ..... Czech ........ Estonia ...... Faroes
Georgia .... Iceland ...... Israel ......... Kazak R
Latvia ....... Lithuania ... Lux ............ Macedonia
Malta ........ Moldova ..... N.Ireland .. Slovenia
Sweden .... Swiss .........Wales

In the 2nd round,
there were seeded

2 from Czech republic
1 each from
France ... Swiss .... Italy ... ...Germany
Croatia .. Holland . Slovenia . Belgium
Spain .... Greece

In the 3rd round there were seeded

2 from
France .... Germany
1 each from
Italy .... Greece .... Spain .... Holland

TO SEE A GRAPH OF THE LIKELYHOOD OF WHERE WE'LL END UP
CLICK HERE (http://www.geocities.com/gavinzac/region.html)

According to my Can We Beat Them rating, we should hope to get Andorra
Armenia
N.I
Malta
Lux
Albania
Faroes
Wales
Kazakhstan
(in that order)

and pray to avoid
Yugoslavia
Belgium
Czech Republic
(in reverse order)

TO SEE THE SPREADSHEET WHERE I WORKED ALL THIS OUT CLICK HERE (http://www.geocities.com/gavinzac/intertoto.xls)

you may notice some nations are missing...
England, Scotland, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Turkey
these countries forfeited their Inter-Toto places, i cant say whether they'll decide to take them next year.

GavinZac
03/12/2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by James
you wudnt post the link to the seedings there please gavin
thanks
- james

well they give the results and i got the seedings from that...

pete
03/12/2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by GavinZac
TO SEE A GRAPH OF THE LIKELYHOOD OF WHERE WE'LL END UP
CLICK HERE (http://www.geocities.com/gavinzac/region.html)

Anorak of the Year Award for sure.

Congrads :D

GavinZac
03/12/2003, 11:02 AM
im bored in college:D

i was seriously considering designing a VB program to show this stuff :D mock draws etc :o :D

James
03/12/2003, 11:04 AM
gwan so
you cud do a nice vb interface, store the previous results and teams in access link up the two and away ya go.. your very own christmas foot.ie project for 20% of your coursework

evan_h
05/12/2003, 7:41 AM
Balkans is my clear winner, warm and sunny. Cheap beer and beautiful tanned women, especially on the croatian coast. They do have some decent footballing sides though. Damn, in hindsight from a footballing point of view should have voted for baltic/ eastern europe:D