PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Tickets

eirebhoy
21/02/2009, 11:29 AM
There's a topic on this in the World Cup forum but if you haven't seen that the ticket sale process started yesterday. You can apply here:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/applyfor/index.html

You need passport numbers for everyone you're applying for, enter your credit card details and you won't be charged unless your application is succesful.

eirebhoy
23/02/2009, 4:31 PM
There should be no problem getting a ticket if we qualify judging by the interest so far. ;)

gspain
24/02/2009, 7:34 AM
There should be no problem getting a ticket if we qualify judging by the interest so far. ;)

ssshhhh less people in the lottery :D:D

shakermaker1982
24/02/2009, 11:44 AM
It's gonna involve a lot of driving for those fans who make it over. Poor public transport and expensive internal flights have put me off a little. I've printed out the match schedule and most groups will play in a different city for each group game (a few exemptions).

gspain
24/02/2009, 12:18 PM
It's gonna involve a lot of driving for those fans who make it over. Poor public transport and expensive internal flights have put me off a little. I've printed out the match schedule and most groups will play in a different city for each group game (a few exemptions).

If we qualify we'll probably end up as A4 (knowing our luck) as they have the following schedule

Game 1 Cape Town (furthest venue from Dublin)

Drive 1736 KMs to Game 2 in Polokwane

Drive 748 KMs then to Game 3 in Bloemfontein.

A short hop then of 635 KMs to Port Elizabeth for a 2nd round game.

Then just 1062 KMs to Joburg for a quarter final.

Then just 1405 KMs to Cape Town for the semi

and 1405KMs again back to Joburg for the Final to see Trap defeat Italy for the 3rd time.

That is clearly the worst schedule but as you say following a team will mean a lot of driving. Still it would be a nice problem to have.

kingdomkerry
24/02/2009, 12:46 PM
If we qualify we'll probably end up as A4 (knowing our luck) as they have the following schedule

Game 1 Cape Town (furthest venue from Dublin)

Drive 1736 KMs to Game 2 in Polokwane

Drive 748 KMs then to Game 3 in Bloemfontein.

A short hop then of 635 KMs to Port Elizabeth for a 2nd round game.

Then just 1062 KMs to Joburg for a quarter final.

Then just 1405 KMs to Cape Town for the semi

and 1405KMs again back to Joburg for the Final to see Trap defeat Italy for the 3rd time.

That is clearly the worst schedule but as you say following a team will mean a lot of driving. Still it would be a nice problem to have.

Thats a serious amount of driving. I know its a poor country but they must have trains stations and airports in most of the big citys

endabob1
24/02/2009, 1:00 PM
Thats a serious amount of driving. I know its a poor country but they must have trains stations and airports in most of the big citys
:(

Bizzarely no, normally we just hail the nearest Lion or Zebra and ride that sucker to the nearest town & by town I mean half a dozen shacks with a shebeen attached where we pose for pictures with some UN folk before heading off on our merry way again.

check this out

http://www.southafrica.net/

also

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=104354

gspain
24/02/2009, 1:08 PM

You can certainly fly to these cities but in most cases via Joburg so this adds to the cost. Flights during the World cup will be expensive.

There are trains. Given the reported crime levels I'd be slow to risk them. Driving and staying away from Joburg (apart from the games) seem the safest way to me.

I certainly plan on driving even if we get the nigtmare journeys. If we don't make it I plan on a short trip around Joburg hopefully taking in 4-5 games.

endabob1
24/02/2009, 1:24 PM
The intercity trains are generally fine there's a link to an excellent site called seat61 in the other thread, I wouldn't use the local (Metro) trains around the major cities especially Jo'Burg. You can fly direct from Dublin to Cape Town with Slattery travel although I'm not sure if it's packages only, otherwise good options are via Amsterdam or Frankfurt, Virgin, SAA & BA all fly direct LHR to Cape Town and there are plenty of internal flights but as mentioned elsewhere they are likely to be expensive during the WC even though it's winter & normally low season here the likelihood is that even the so called budget airlines will crank it up for the occasion.
To give you an idea of just how far Durban is from Cape Town, the train takes 2 days to get there!!!

geysir
03/03/2009, 12:25 PM
You can certainly fly to these cities but in most cases via Joburg so this adds to the cost. Flights during the World cup will be expensive.

There are trains. Given the reported crime levels I'd be slow to risk them. Driving and staying away from Joburg (apart from the games) seem the safest way to me.

Is this backed by statistics or just hearsay? :)

Offhand I would find it incredible that it is safer to drive some 6,000 to 10,000 km, successfully avoiding all the hazards of drunken/sleeping/crazy/drivers, tyre blow outs/ unnofficial road blocks/fatigue/unroadworthy vehicles, than the safety and comfort of the Blue Train, Premiers Class and the Shosholoza Meyl.

endabob1
27/03/2009, 7:31 AM
Is this backed by statistics or just hearsay? :)

Offhand I would find it incredible that it is safer to drive some 6,000 to 10,000 km, successfully avoiding all the hazards of drunken/sleeping/crazy/drivers, tyre blow outs/ unnofficial road blocks/fatigue/unroadworthy vehicles, than the safety and comfort of the Blue Train, Premiers Class and the Shosholoza Meyl.

South Africa has a very high accident rate on the roads; I would be reticent about driving long distances without being familiar with the roads and areas you would be driving through.

http://www.car-accidents.com/country-car-accidents/south-africa-car-accidents-crash.html

As far as internal flights go there are now 3 "low" cost carriers in SA, one time, Mango & Kulula and a decent search engine here.

http://www.saflights.co.za/