PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane interview in the Times

Pages : [1] 2 3

Razors left peg
21/02/2009, 7:14 AM
Its not going to change anyones opinion of him, people are still going to love or hate him as before but as a football fan it is a good read
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0221/1224241589471.html

prince20
21/02/2009, 7:40 AM
Thanks for posting that..brilliant read.
Do i detect this post being a long topic??????:p

paul_oshea
21/02/2009, 9:42 AM
is anyone getting bored of keane? Ive certainly had enough. Roy stop the spin doctoring to suit yourself its been done for years. Just lye down and find some other thing to do, outside of football. Not too many care anymore.

peadar1987
21/02/2009, 10:01 AM
"'The staff came in and said Clive Clarke has had a heart attack. I said, ‘Is he okay? I’m shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays’.
"

Once a w***er, always a w***er. He never did seem to care whether or not another professional would ever play again. Or in Clarkey's case, survive.

shakermaker1982
21/02/2009, 10:45 AM
Good read and clears a few things up. Good luck to him if he does manage another club - the more Irish managers the better in my book. He is box office (some love him and some fans actually hate the man) and this will no doubt run and run for a few days but I don't blame him for getting his views on what went down. A lot of people stuck the knife in after he left and he had to bide his time until the dust settled before he clarified the goings on.

paul_oshea
21/02/2009, 11:29 AM
but he is always talking to media half his problem the last time was chatting to the media way too much...

Its ok if things happen once or twice but they are happening the whole time with him that you then realise where the blame lies...

Colbert Report
21/02/2009, 3:24 PM
Roy will be back, probably with a London club, some time in the future. It was far too difficult to persuade players to come all the way up to cold Sunderland to play.

I think he would be a good manager for a mid-sized club like Portsmouth, but I think he'll wait and take over somewhere like Spurs or Manchester City even. More money means better success for a guy like Roy.

Crosby87
21/02/2009, 3:28 PM
Is'nt Manchester pretty far from London?

Razors left peg
21/02/2009, 3:30 PM
but he is always talking to media half his problem the last time was chatting to the media way too much...

Its ok if things happen once or twice but they are happening the whole time with him that you then realise where the blame lies...

In fairness I think this is the first time he has talked to any media since he left Sunderland.

Closed Account
21/02/2009, 3:31 PM
Did you read the article?

Colbert Report
21/02/2009, 3:35 PM

Portsmouth is pretty far from London as well mate. Read the article.

SUB of the day
21/02/2009, 4:17 PM
is anyone getting bored of keane? Ive certainly had enough. Roy stop the spin doctoring to suit yourself its been done for years. Just lye down and find some other thing to do, outside of football. Not too many care anymore.
"not too many care" I don't think so, love him or loathe him, the article in todays IT, is the most e-mailed, and second most read, thats box office!

pcplod
21/02/2009, 5:18 PM
He was one of the greatest as a player and have no doubt he will be one of the greatest as a manager. His next job might take him away from manchester but he will be back

maroon ultra
21/02/2009, 6:42 PM
He was one of the greatest as a player and have no doubt he will be one of the greatest as a manager. His next job might take him away from manchester but he will be back

Deluded. He has already shown he is not capable of being a great football manager. He is not a people person and that will continue to be his downfall.

pcplod
21/02/2009, 6:45 PM
Deluded. He has already shown he is not capable of being a great football manager. He is not a people person and that will continue to be his downfall.

Matter of opinion I suppose but getting a team from bottom to winning the championship in his debut season then keeping them in the top flight the next has to stand for something. He is a perfectionist not a bad trait to have in any manager IMO

stojkovic
21/02/2009, 6:56 PM
You dont need criticism from someone like Cascarino who cant even manage his own passport let alone manage a football team. Absolute muppet. Stick to the poker Cas.

osarusan
21/02/2009, 8:24 PM
I read it. Typical Humphreys article, with short, supposedly "punchy" sentences.

One of those short "punchy" sentences, which was repeated more than once was, "You learn". But the impression that I got from the article was that Keane hadn't learnt much at all - from reading the article, and his comments, you got the impression he left because of disagreements with the chairman, but all else was fine. That, obviously was not the (full) story.

Crosby87
21/02/2009, 9:52 PM
Portsmouth is pretty far from London as well mate. Read the article.
Easy mate, you said he is probably going to end up with a london club. Or manchester? Ahh so you are predicting he ends up with a london club or....a club somewhere else. Wow. Really putting it out there.

Greenbod
21/02/2009, 10:03 PM
I think he should manage the cork hurlers. Stephen Ireland could be bagman.

Royal rover
21/02/2009, 10:20 PM
good piece - i dislike keane for what he did for his country , but at the same time he's honest , no doubt he'll be back

seanfhear
22/02/2009, 4:46 AM
Roy Keane has fallen into the the "disappearing up your own ass trap" that happens to many successful/famous people.
I am sure it is very difficult to avoid this when everyone that you have dealings with just clap you on the back and tell you how great you are and never question your judgment. Roy believes that many others have disappeared up their own ass but cannot recognise that he is also one of the disappeared.

Roy climb down out of your ass you buck eejit and if you really want to become a manager go learn your trade at a less high profile club or as an assistant somewhere and try to learn some communication/people skills and remember even the infallible Roy Keane is just as human as the next gob****e.

Claret Murph
22/02/2009, 8:34 AM
I do recall when Naill Quinn was on football foucs and he had nothing but praise for Mr Keane after he walked away .
Now with Keane I would say this is something to do with hey everybody look at me I am still around and I would even take a job in the Championship hint hint wink wink .
This was all done for that reason , use the media as some times it cuts both ways with them .:mad:

stojkovic
22/02/2009, 10:50 AM
Roy climb down out of your ass you buck eejit and if you really want to become a manager go learn your trade at a less high profile club

Like say a club thats bottom of the league heading to Division Three. Somewhere like that ?

Lionel Ritchie
22/02/2009, 1:10 PM
He was one of the greatest as a player and have no doubt he will be one of the greatest as a manager.

...just like Bobby Charlton was ...and Brian Robson. :)

His next job might take him away from manchester but he will be back ...as in Manchester United? The whistling sound in the background is the price of shares in MU PLC.

seanfhear
22/02/2009, 2:03 PM
Like say a club thats bottom of the league heading to Division Three. Somewhere like that ?
But when the going got tough he had to get out of the kitchen because he had not gotten the experience to deal with the pressure.

Razors left peg
22/02/2009, 2:09 PM
There are very few managers that have done exceptionally well in their first job in management, mistakes are always made and they learn from the experience and improve,Steve Bruce is a good example of that. I think Keane did better than most in his first job but the mistakes he made build up and it was time for him to move on.I have no doubts that he will go on to do well in his next job when he starts again with a clean slate and the things he has learned at Sunderland will stand to him.

OwlsFan
22/02/2009, 3:55 PM
Why is this in the Ireland International team Forum?

Razors left peg
22/02/2009, 4:03 PM
Why is this in the Ireland International team Forum?

Does he not have enough Ireland caps to qualify for the Irish forum???

Scram
22/02/2009, 4:54 PM
Its not going to change anyones opinion of him, people are still going to love or hate him as before but as a football fan it is a good read
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0221/1224241589471.html

WHY IS THIS UNDER THE "IRELAND" FORUM :confused:

eirebhoy
22/02/2009, 5:15 PM
I think this is the only Irish international we'd have people asking these questions for. :)

Razors left peg
22/02/2009, 5:20 PM

66 caps might have something to do with it

Jdrams fan
22/02/2009, 7:39 PM
"'The staff came in and said Clive Clarke has had a heart attack. I said, ‘Is he okay? I’m shocked they found one, you could never tell by the way he plays’.
"

Once a w***er, always a w***er. He never did seem to care whether or not another professional would ever play again. Or in Clarkey's case, survive.
the mans a legend and im a pool fan if you cant say he was probably the best footballer of his generation you shouln't be near a football forum. And to say he doesn't care is crap just look at what the man does for charities around this country and with no publicity i might add. I hes going to be ridiculed for being a perfectionist then more fool you cause if we had a few more like him in the team in saipan instead of the windy b***ards we had we could have surprised a few people at that tournament.

Guts&Glory
22/02/2009, 11:03 PM
But when the going got tough he had to get out of the kitchen because he had not gotten the experience to deal with the pressure.

Have you read the article??

He pegged it when Short was doing a missus on his case wondering where he was and why he didn't live in Sunderland with his family.

This despite Quinn, Short and Drumaville all living away from Sunderland.

Keane left for the same reason Rafa is having so much hassle at Liverpool (and I ain't a Liverpool fan) he could see the writing on the wall with Short on his case, questioing his signings, his motives etc.

I applaud him for leaving rather than be bossed by Short and sitting palying waiting game potentially to be sacked and taking his severence pay unlike so many others in the game.

Guts&Glory
22/02/2009, 11:07 PM
good piece - i dislike keane for what he did for his country , but at the same time he's honest , no doubt he'll be back

Ya that Walkers crisp ad was just unforgiveable!!!!! :D

NeilMcD
22/02/2009, 11:25 PM
His comments on clive Clare were bang out of order

Razors left peg
22/02/2009, 11:34 PM
His comments on clive Clare were bang out of order

Im a big Keane fan but have to agree on that one

Closed Account
23/02/2009, 1:51 AM
Well aware of the fact that posting at this time on a monday morning and not having the sort of username that commands respect, i'll still throw in my two pence. Reading tomorrows articles, the guardian and the times specifically, i amplify my general dislike for the media. They've taken a lot of stuff out of context. I may argue the case a little better tomorrow.
But on balance, i like roy. Night

irishfan86
23/02/2009, 6:11 AM
The comments on Clarke are completely inappropriate and unnecessary.

Seems a bit hypocritical criticizing the prima donna's on his team, and then leaving at the first hint of criticism from the ownership as well.

Superhoops
23/02/2009, 6:16 AM
Great follow up in todays Indo here (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/communication-breakdown-at-the-heart-of-roys-failure-1649577.html). As usual Vincent Hogan is right on the money.

ifk101
23/02/2009, 8:26 AM
Great follow up in todays Indo here (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/communication-breakdown-at-the-heart-of-roys-failure-1649577.html). As usual Vincent Hogan is right on the money.

Makes you wonder why the Independent is publishing a commentary on an article published in the Times.

Superhoops
23/02/2009, 9:01 AM
Makes you wonder why the Independent is publishing a commentary on an article published in the Times.

The article by Tom Humphries was syndicated to several papers over the weekend and the article or summaries of it appeared in every paper I saw on Saturday or Sunday.

OwlsFan
23/02/2009, 9:11 AM
66 caps might have something to do with it

I repeat what has this got to do with the current Irish team? Should we start threads on Charlie Hurley or Paddy Roche? There are a number of threads already on Keane in the World Football Forum.

Sligo Hornet
23/02/2009, 9:52 AM
I repeat what has this got to do with the current Irish team? Should we start threads on Charlie Hurley or Paddy Roche? There are a number of threads already on Keane in the World Football Forum.

Totally agree.....this creating of nonsense threads really does my head in;):p

Drumcondra 69er
23/02/2009, 9:54 AM

Really? There's also comment from Aidan O'Hara in the Independent and Dunphy in The Star and I'm sure you'll see comment elsewhere over the course of the week.

I think the clue might be in the headline off the article itself.......

Good read, lot of excuises in it for me though and Humphries is so sycophantic with Keane these days it's beyond belief. No need for the comments about Clarke, it can't be pleasant to have that bitterness towards other people inside.

shakermaker1982
23/02/2009, 9:56 AM

Does this apply to all other threads on ex internationals? Kavanagh, Kinnear etc etc. Funny how nobody bats an eyelid. Keane thread starts up and it's world war 3 again in here!!!

Drumcondra 69er
23/02/2009, 10:00 AM
Does this apply to all other threads on ex internationals? Kavanagh, Kinnear etc etc. Funny how nobody bats an eyelid. Keane thread starts up and it's world war 3 again in here!!!

Exactly. Some people are very precious and a little bit anal about threads being in the right place on here. I mean we don't want to see multiple threads on the same topics but it's hardly the hanging offence it seems to be conisdered on here.

ifk101
23/02/2009, 10:14 AM
I think the clue might be in the headline off the article itself.......

Exactly - it was a press release written in typical press release insightfulness.

seanfhear
23/02/2009, 10:22 AM
Have you read the article??

He pegged it when Short was doing a missus on his case wondering where he was and why he didn't live in Sunderland with his family.

This despite Quinn, Short and Drumaville all living away from Sunderland.

Keane left for the same reason Rafa is having so much hassle at Liverpool (and I ain't a Liverpool fan) he could see the writing on the wall with Short on his case, questioing his signings, his motives etc.

I applaud him for leaving rather than be bossed by Short and sitting palying waiting game potentially to be sacked and taking his severence pay unlike so many others in the game.
If I had to pay for the players that Keane bought and their wages and the large amount of players that he bought then I would be asking questions as well.
Roy Keane is just a mortal man and has to answer for his actions like anyone else.
A footall manager is just an employee afterall and when he or supporters lose sight of this they have lost the plot.

Hibernian
23/02/2009, 1:14 PM
Read it yesterday and as a Keane fan he really is not making many friends coming out and saying some the stuff he has said.

I taught the piece about Clarke was little low.

The problem with Keane is that he was not used to seeing players not as good as him unable to track back etc from championship standard and to repeat this process in the premiership.

I don't think he is cut out to be premiership manager he has much to learn.

Although I will say i would he did a better job then people give him credit for he did get them promoted from nowhere in fairness but he championship standard at best.

Ash
23/02/2009, 1:22 PM
I taught the piece about Clarke was little low.

I read the piece yesterday and sounded like he was trying to be funny but
ended up making himself look like a right old c u next tuesday.