PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Nigeria - Friday, 29th May 2009 - Friendly - Craven Cottage

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sligo Hornet
16/02/2009, 12:56 PM
This is good news!

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4023

paul_oshea
16/02/2009, 1:07 PM
hmmm i hope no injuries occur though......

NeilMcD
16/02/2009, 1:22 PM
Its only ten mins away anyway

pineapple stu
16/02/2009, 1:34 PM
Going head to head with the LoI fixtures? Interesting.

NeilMcD
16/02/2009, 2:01 PM
Booked the flights should be a bit of craic. Liked Craven Cottage the last time.

lopez
16/02/2009, 2:08 PM
Great news! Thought the match last year against Columbia was brilliant in ever respect. Organisation, location, result. Can't wait.

paul_oshea
16/02/2009, 2:29 PM
ya and afterwards, Bible code sundays played a great set in brogans. Which is only a 10 min walk from teh stadium, if you walk fast.

tetsujin1979
16/02/2009, 2:32 PM
Flights booked, looking forward to this.
Great atmosphere last year, Craven Cottage is a great stadium.

shakermaker1982
16/02/2009, 2:49 PM
I'm off to this one!

Junior
16/02/2009, 3:08 PM
Only a week before Sofia as well, important practice prior to a very important game for us against Bulgaria.

Will be interesting to see how seasons have gone/finished up for the likes of Gibson, Andrews, Whelan and any of the others in the running for the midfield spots

irishultra
16/02/2009, 3:26 PM
there is a number of nigerians here, why not just have the match at the rds?:confused:

few of my mates are nigerian would have been good craic going to the match in dublin but no we play the match in fecking london. seriously why?

NeilMcD
16/02/2009, 3:41 PM
Well I see nothing wrong with Craven Cottage. There is a large amount of people who come over from the UK for every Ireland game so nothing wrong with having a game in Craven Cottage.

Nigeria played Jamaica recently and Italy played Brazil also in London so its not as if we are the first or the last. Nearly anybody I spoke to said that the atmosphere was top class versus Colombia at Craven Cottage and a very enjoyable night.

Dodge
16/02/2009, 4:13 PM
Fulham are paying the FAI/Nigerian FA to host the game (they keep the receipts)

Quite a few London grounds are doing it now

The Fly
16/02/2009, 5:21 PM
^ Tut! Tut! Tut! to all of the above.:(

awaythelads
16/02/2009, 7:05 PM
This is good news!

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4023

:mad: No it isn't good news! The last "friendly" (Unity Cup) with Nigeria in London was without doubt the worst game I have ever attended. It cost me £100 for 2 tickets for my daughter and me - her first game - a 3-0 walkover. Totally meaningless and a complete embarrassment - the players didn't give a toss. I still remember the disappointment on a 7 year old's face at the end of the game. I won't be going.
http://www.awaythelads.com/Nigeria/pages/4554%20Lineout.htm

NeilMcD
16/02/2009, 7:12 PM
Why not compare it with the last game in London rather than against the opposition Nigeria. Also we are playing Bulgaria the next week so people will be playing for places also.

awaythelads
16/02/2009, 7:45 PM
Why not compare it with the last game in London rather than against the opposition Nigeria. Also we are playing Bulgaria the next week so people will be playing for places also.

Maybe you're right ... Craven Cottage is a decent stadium - there aren't many where you can have a pint overlooking the river at half time. The Columbia game was a much better affair. Hope the tube works this time.
http://www.awaythelads.com/columbia/index.htm

geysir
16/02/2009, 9:35 PM
ya and afterwards, Bible code sundays played a great set in brogans. Which is only a 10 min walk from teh stadium, if you walk fast.
This time, don't forget the wise words from one of the hobbits,
"short cuts make long delays".

kingdomkerry
16/02/2009, 11:11 PM
I think its a disgrace to choose to play a game in London over IRELAND!

NeilMcD
17/02/2009, 12:09 AM
But its not a home game thats like saying its a disgrace that we played Denmark in Denmark over Dublin.

tetsujin1979
17/02/2009, 12:48 AM
Can we skip the whole "disgraceful to be playing in perfidious Albion" argument? We did it already a year ago.

Newryrep
17/02/2009, 8:49 AM
Probably have to pass on this, too close to the away game Bulgaria for time off.

Is there to be an away friendly end of Aug - might try to make that as not going to Cyprus

aidz1
17/02/2009, 9:56 AM
Would have been an ideal time to play in thomond park or somehere like that. pity it isnt as it would generate a bit of money to the local economy an all..

tetsujin1979
17/02/2009, 10:36 AM
Would have been an ideal time to play in thomond park or somehere like that. pity it isnt as it would generate a bit of money to the local economy an all..
The FAI are negotiating a game in Thomond for august

Paulie
17/02/2009, 10:45 AM
I'll be going to this one but I've yet to decide if I'll fly home on the Saturday or Sunday. It's really depends as to whether or not I can somehow get tickets to Depeche Mode who are playing the 02 in London on the Saturday night. The gig is sold out on Ticketmaster and Ticketline. Has anyone any ideas on where else I could get tickets for this, not including touts/ticket agencies?

Sligo Hornet
17/02/2009, 11:56 AM
The FAI are negotiating a game in Thomond for august

Will that be England v Scotland?;)

newrynyuk
17/02/2009, 12:04 PM
But its not a home game thats like saying its a disgrace that we played Denmark in Denmark over Dublin.

Well it's a home game for me and many other London Irish.

As mentioned here, there was a terrific atmosphere at Craven Cottage last year and a decent game too. Plus it's only a half hour walk home for me, so I'm really looking forward to it. I just hope the weather is better and the District Line tube doesn't break down again.

NeilMcD
17/02/2009, 12:10 PM
Well it's a home game for me and many other London Irish.

As mentioned here, there was a terrific atmosphere at Craven Cottage last year and a decent game too. Plus it's only a half hour walk home for me, so I'm really looking forward to it. I just hope the weather is better and the District Line tube doesn't break down again.

If you read the other posts I have made I have said there is a good reason as lots of people live in London and surrounding areas. But it is not a home game as in the FAI are not the hosting organisation and it does not take place in Ireland. That is fact.

Do I agree with the game in Fulham yes, is it a home game yes. I have put forward the case that many people travel to Dublin for all the home games so this is a bit of small payback I suppose for that effort. But it is still not a home game.

paul_oshea
17/02/2009, 12:17 PM
Do I agree with the game in Fulham yes, is it a home game yes. I have put forward the case that many people travel to Dublin for all the home games so this is a bit of small payback I suppose for that effort. But it is still not a home game.

what?

NeilMcD
17/02/2009, 12:32 PM
What you find confusing now Paul. Too many late nights.

SkStu
17/02/2009, 3:27 PM

Wales played Poland in Portugal last week.

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

DeLorean
17/02/2009, 4:15 PM

It doesn't take much longer to fly Kerry-London than Kerry-Dublin!!;)

kingdomkerry
17/02/2009, 4:34 PM
It doesn't take much longer to fly Kerry-London than Kerry-Dublin!!;)

True but it takes alot less to drive or take the train :rolleyes:

DeLorean
17/02/2009, 4:38 PM
True but it takes alot less to drive or take the train :rolleyes:

Thought a Kerryman would be sick of Croker and Coppers at this stage anyway, give me a wkd in London any day!!

aidz1
26/02/2009, 10:02 AM
Many going to this??

Its on the Friday of the bank holiday weekend though. May use it as an ideal chance to catch up with a few old exiles..

anyone flying back to belfast...its only £5 all in to return on the saturday from stanstead.

Uncle_Joe
26/02/2009, 11:15 AM
I just moved over last year and living about 10 minutes from Craven Cottage Im quite happy :p

I dont see any problem with playing in London for a game which as stated before isnt being hosted by the FAI. Brazil vs Italy in Wembly, Wales v Poland in Portugal etc etc.

I did get very angry at the idea of us playing our qualifiers outside of Ireland while Lansdowne was being redeveloped.

Gather round
26/02/2009, 12:12 PM
I dont see any problem with playing in London for a game which as stated before isnt being hosted by the FAI. Brazil vs Italy in Wembly, Wales v Poland in Portugal etc etc

Ireland will play Nigeria in a friendly match on Friday, May 29, 2009. The match will be hosted by the FAI at Craven Cottage, London, the home of the English Premier League club, Fulham FC. Kick-off will be at 8.00 pm and tickets are currently available at £20.00 for adults and £5.00 for juniors

So are they or aren't they hosting it?

ArdeeBhoy
01/03/2009, 11:09 PM
They are.
So what?

Maybe the FAI should apply to play a friendly in Beal-feirste?
Against Ivory Coast, would be good....

Gather round
01/03/2009, 11:22 PM
They are. So what?

Just trying to sort out any confusion.

DeLorean
02/03/2009, 12:49 PM
Was thinking of flying into Luton. Does anybody know where Fulham/Craven Cottage is in relation to here? also where is Craven Cottage in relation to London City Centre? Thanks.

Gather round
02/03/2009, 3:11 PM
Was thinking of flying into Luton. Does anybody know where Fulham/Craven Cottage is in relation to here? also where is Craven Cottage in relation to London City Centre? Thanks

Coach from Luton Airport will take you to Victoria Station (south-west corner of central London) , then a 3 mile bus or tube ride to Fulham.

DeLorean
02/03/2009, 3:13 PM
Coach from Luton Airport will take you to Victoria Station (south-west corner of central London) , then a 3 mile bus or tube ride to Fulham.

Great stuff, thanks a lot.

paul_oshea
02/03/2009, 5:43 PM
or you can get a train into kings cross(or blackfriars and change there for the "green" line i.e. district) and get a line from there. a line being a tube and not charlie, although im sure you could get one of them there too....

Stuttgart88
02/03/2009, 11:07 PM
I'd walk from Victoria myself. Make time & go along the Thames or through the posh parts of London. Either way one of the nicest capital city walks you'd find anywhere in Europe.

Not much of a footballing contribution from me today...

soccerc
02/03/2009, 11:54 PM
Was thinking of flying into Luton. Does anybody know where Fulham/Craven Cottage is in relation to here? also where is Craven Cottage in relation to London City Centre? Thanks.

Did that last year.

Easy Coach to London Victoria (about an hour)

You can then get a tube to Fulham (15 mins)

Walk to Craven Cottage (15 mins)

aidz1
03/03/2009, 9:45 AM
Aer lingus from belfast to heathrow. only 9.99 (fare and tax) one way.
only a tube ride from there to fulham (think its about £5.50 all day pass for relevant zones), so saves the crazy train prices from stanstead

DeLorean
03/03/2009, 9:55 AM
Think I'll definitely go to this. Will tickets be handy enough? what way were they for the Colombia match there? presume they'll be more Nigerians than Colombians though.

tetsujin1979
03/03/2009, 10:53 AM
Think I'll definitely go to this. Will tickets be handy enough? what way were they for the Colombia match there? presume they'll be more Nigerians than Colombians though.
There were tickets available at the ground last year, but there could be a higher "away" attendance this time around

paul_oshea
03/03/2009, 11:35 AM
it was close to a sell out but not quite.

was it really end of may last year? god time flies - thats not me telling god that time goes very quickly, just making on observation that the time passed since may end has gone very quickly.

DeLorean
03/03/2009, 11:38 AM
it was close to a sell out but not quite.

was it really end of may last year? god time flies - thats not me telling god that time goes very quickly, just making on observation that the time passed since may end has gone very quickly.

Now that's a 7000th post to be proud of!!!;)