PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

stann
16/02/2009, 11:39 AM
Am looking to get a new digital camera to replace my current one (5 Mpixels, 2X zoom I think) which is less than useless for the job I need it for, which is to take medium range pics of footie action (10-15 metre range, am not greedy), crowd shots etc.. just to acceptable website standards.
But, as it's kind of an afterthought, and it'll be at my own expense :D, I don't want to spend a lot, nor have to get a degree in twisty thinking to operate it.
Anyone have any recommendations? Or suggest what I should be looking for - presumably a large increase in megapixels would be good, but should I be looking at the optical or digital zoom specs? And what would be a minimum to look for?

soccerc
16/02/2009, 12:04 PM
Am looking to get a new digital camera to replace my current one (5 Mpixels, 2X zoom I think) which is less than useless for the job I need it for, which is to take medium range pics of footie action (10-15 metre range, am not greedy), crowd shots etc.. just to acceptable website standards.
But, as it's kind of an afterthought, and it'll be at my own expense :D, I don't want to spend a lot, nor have to get a degree in twisty thinking to operate it.
Anyone have any recommendations? Or suggest what I should be looking for - presumably a large increase in megapixels would be good, but should I be looking at the optical or digital zoom specs? And what would be a minimum to look for?

Optical zoom is what you need.

Pixels don't really matter for what you've said,just because a camera has 20m pixles doesn't necessarily mean better quality images. The real secret is fast sharp lenses with an f stop of 2.8

A few points though, Point and Shoot camera's due to the shutter lag are not great.

A basic dSLR kit with a 55-200mm zoom should get what you want but only in good light.

SamMcAuley (http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=1698&loc=P&catid=62.1) chemists have a Nikon D40 with a basic 18-55mm lens for €379 but if you budget is very restricted this Fuji (http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=2039&loc=P&catid=62.1) will do the job for you

stann
16/02/2009, 1:25 PM
Great stuff soccerc, thank you!
That Fuji one looks just the job, and though I'd set a probably very naively low price limit, it's only just above it.
With somewhat uncharacteristic decisiveness I've snapped one up already. :)

soccerc
16/02/2009, 1:25 PM
Great stuff soccerc, thank you!
With somewhat uncharacteristic decisiveness I've snapped one up already. :)

the Nikon or the Fuji?

dahamsta
16/02/2009, 1:56 PM
Do you actually need a DSLR stann? Unless you actually need to do your own focussing for specific custom shots, a P&S (Point & Shoot) should do you just fine. I did a lot of research in P&S cameras a year or two ago and found that Panasonics were the kiddies, with a lot of pro photograhpers using the Lumux DMC-TZ5. I have one, use it regularly, and it's the bees knees. Stick it on "Inteligent Auto" and you never need to do anything, even for macro shots.

adam

atfconline
16/02/2009, 1:59 PM
To be fair, there is a big difference between shooting macro shots and shooting football. As soccerc said, shutter lag is the big killer with P&S's.

soccerc
16/02/2009, 2:05 PM
Do you actually need a DSLR stann? Unless you actually need to do your own focussing for specific custom shots, a P&S (Point & Shoot) should do you just fine. I did a lot of research in P&S cameras a year or two ago and found that Panasonics were the kiddies, with a lot of pro photograhpers using the Lumux DMC-TZ5. I have one, use it regularly, and it's the bees knees. Stick it on "Inteligent Auto" and you never need to do anything, even for macro shots.

adam

He wants it for sport action and the shutter lag with a P&S is the problem.

The best way to get the most from your camera is turn off auto and learn to use it manually, even P&S's.

The TZ5 is a great camera but the programmed shutter speed in sports auto mode is too slow to freeze the action

stann
16/02/2009, 2:09 PM

adam

I don't know if I do or not, but that's because I haven't a clue about them! Basically I need something that can take clear, (reasonably) distant action shots. Point and click as soccerc said is not quite the thing, as you're having to guess where the ball will be half a second after you click. And then, with my old camera at least, you find you can't actually see anything anyway.

It's the Fuji, soccerc, sorry was editting as you posted!

soccerc
16/02/2009, 2:14 PM
I don't know if I do or not, but that's because I haven't a clue about them! Basically I need something that can take clear, (reasonably) distant action shots. Point and click as soccerc said is not quite the thing, as you're having to guess where the ball will be half a second after you click. And then, with my old camera at least, you find you can't actually see anything.

It's the Fuji, soccerc, was editting as you posted!

The Fuji is a "bridge" not quite a dSLR and not quite a P&S.

It has some shutter lag so you'll need to anticipate the shot somewhat. Ypu can also set it to take 3/4 frames per second and that may help cathc the action.

Fuji manuals are fairly clear and I'd suggest you read it thoroughly and experiment. Learn how to set the shutter speed and the ISO (but to no more than 800).

After that, it's practice, practice, practice. I've gone from a Fuji bridge to the full dSLR (2xNikon D3's)in three years as I caught the snapping bug.

stann
16/02/2009, 2:34 PM
I will, I'll enjoy playing around with it. :)
So long as it takes a few shots good enough to put up online that's grand though, have no intention of going for sports photographer of the year just yet. :D
Thanks for all the advice lads!

atfconline
16/02/2009, 2:41 PM
So long as it takes a few shots good enough to put up online that's grand though, have no intention of going for sports photographer of the year just yet. :D

You'd never know, this (http://www.worldpressphoto.org/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=view&id=1435&Itemid=223&bandwidth=high) won a World Press Photo (http://www.worldpressphoto.org/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=view&id=1435&Itemid=223&bandwidth=high) award!

dahamsta
16/02/2009, 4:12 PM
To be fair, there is a big difference between shooting macro shots and shooting football. As soccerc said, shutter lag is the big killer with P&S's.Macro was just an example of the camera's usefulness for most situations. However I take your point that it might not be suitable for sport.

I don't agree with the suggestion that we should all go away and learn how to use cameras manually. I have no interest in the mechanics, or professional quality shots, or carrying around a big horse of a body and lenses. P&S is fine for most people.

adam

soccerc
16/02/2009, 4:20 PM
Macro was just an example of the camera's usefulness for most situations. However I take your point that it might not be suitable for sport.

I don't agree with the suggestion that we should all go away and learn how to use cameras manually. adam

Why?

Not only will the user get the best from the device but will also improve upon their picture taking.

If you just want to P&s, fair enought, but my point was aimed at stann who wants to get more for his buck.

Shooting on auto will not provide the best results

noby
02/03/2009, 12:52 PM

I presume they're your photos up on the site. They look good for a beginner (that's not supposed to come across as patronising).
I've recently got more interested in photography, and started to veer away from the auto button. I'd love to give footie matches a go some day, after I get a bit more practice in.

stann
03/03/2009, 6:58 PM
The two warm-up ones are from just in front of the tunnel, and the rest are from the back of the stand believe it or not. Couldn't believe how clear they turned out. Thing has has a phenomenal zoom! :D
Any bit of graining there is from the cropping / re-sizing process, and a bit more from that PicLens viewer, they look a bit better if you click on the 'Action...' heading again and then on the first pic to start the slideshow.
Still have the shutter speed, guessing-where-the-ball-will-be problem, but as soon as I get a second to myself I'll have a play around with it.
I don't think I'll get interested in it as a pursuit, wouldn't have the time tbh, but I can certainly see the fascination.