PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam

reder
16/02/2009, 8:42 AM
Can anyone recommend a nice hotel 4* in the city centre? Looking around on the various hotel sites, most seem to require 5-10 minute tram journeys to the city centre. Want to try and avoid this as those travelling are not good travellers.

thischarmingman
16/02/2009, 11:31 AM
Never been so not going to be much help I'm afraid, but lastminute.com has a wealth of search options so you should be able to specify exactly what you want and find it easily enough.

stann
16/02/2009, 1:13 PM
I've been many times and most of the nicest hotels are that 5-10 minutes away I'm afraid, out towards the Vondelpark for example. With the ease of travel around the city on the excellent trams though this really is not a problem, for even the most unconfident travellers.
I'd say the best option is one of the many on or near the Leidseplein, which is the real centre of the city IMO, Dam square having few attractions beyond a quick visit.
Try the Eden Amsterdam American Hotel (http://www.booking.com/hotel/nl/american.html?aid=303948;label=landmark-nl-leidse-square-LGgCZNhh9hr9jyiOSf4D2wS1015724181;sid=ef1d3cea15b9 c0e6588cc82587086e2a) for example. Though I can't personally recommend it, it looks to be just the thing and in the right place.
Actually, looking at it again it looks very good, will definitely be checking here if and when I go back there!
Am pretty sure this (http://www.booking.com/hotel/nl/terdam.html?aid=303948;label=landmark-nl-leidse-square-LGgCZNhh9hr9jyiOSf4D2wS1015724181;sid=ef1d3cea15b9 c0e6588cc82587086e2a) is a place I stayed in, just a skip away, and it wasn't bad either. But it's rated 3star though, and bear in mind than hotels in Amsterdam tend to be rated a star more than they would be elsewhere.

anto1208
16/02/2009, 2:51 PM
The ibis is pretty good but as others have said the better larger hotels are 5mins out as central station is a crappy enough area you are better off out of there to tell the truth. you can walk around most of amsterdam and the trams really are brilliant its not like here they run on time and are very safe and cheap. ( you pay on the tram near the back ). I allways stay down near the heiniken brewry area.

Depends what you are going for the coffeeshops are all over the rip off tourist places are in the city centre so again your better off 5 mins out. The red light district then is about half way between the ibis and central station.

But you should look into getting a house boat that was the best bet when ive been 3 double rooms pull out couch your own sitting room and kitchen and cheaper than hotels.

Mad Moose
06/03/2009, 5:35 PM
I'm assuming that Amsterdam American hotel is on your left as you leave the station?. Just thinking now there was something to the right andIts pretty impressive and as your looking for 4 star its a good option. I was there in september and stayed on Damrak and it wasn't pretty.Its not a pretty street anyhow. I went out to Vondelpark and its actually not that far out at all.

Don't think you'll have any problems finding a good hotel around there. Thinking on it the Krasnapolsky (sp) is opposite the palace on Dam Square. It wasn't somewhere I was going to consider but looks good.

stann
08/03/2009, 2:58 PM
No the Amsterdam American is on the Leidseplein.
To be honest, I'd near enough go anywhere but the central station or Dam square areas.
Anywhere sort of in a south-westerly direction outwards from a bit beyond the centre, between the Herengracht/Prinzengracht area and the Vondelpark, would be a good bet, including around the Museumplein (and the De Lareissestraat beyond).
And you're right, there's nothing too far away from anywhere.

Closed Account 2
13/03/2009, 2:07 PM
I've only stayed in youth hostels there, but as other's have said the Ibis is in a central location. I've stayed in Ibis hotels in other cities, Lisbon, Stuttgart, Paris and they are all of a decent standard. Like a lot of Accor hotels if you can get a central one at a decent price it's a safe bet.

Shilts
20/03/2009, 4:24 PM
Can anyone recommend a nice hotel 4* in the city centre? Looking around on the various hotel sites, most seem to require 5-10 minute tram journeys to the city centre. Want to try and avoid this as those travelling are not good travellers.

Swissotel Dam Square very central 4star - walking distance to everywhere. Maybe a bit pricey but worth it for the location

sligoman
13/07/2010, 11:01 PM
Might be going in September. Any suggestions on what to do there? Will be staying in a hostel, anyone stayed in a relatively good one?

brendy_éire
14/07/2010, 12:26 PM
Might be going in September. Any suggestions on what to do there? Will be staying in a hostel, anyone stayed in a relatively good one?

The Globe is a grand hostel. Really central, about 200m from the central station. Hostels are generally expensive in Amsterdam though.

To do.....there's a plenty of art museums and always something on in Oude Kerk. Avoid the Heineken Experience, it's pretty awful really. The only advantage to the place is that lots of yanks don't seem to like Heineken, so they'll give ye there free drink tokens.
Or than that, you can just dooter round the red light district and do the stuff there.

Can't see I particularly enjoy Amsterdam meself though.

MariborKev
14/07/2010, 12:42 PM
Free diamond factory tour is worth it.

Like Brendy said though, wouldn't be my cup of tea.

sligoman
04/08/2010, 2:05 PM
Definitely going in early September so any more suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.