PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk Versus Celtic

dannydundalk
15/02/2009, 11:42 PM
Dundalk Football Club will launch the 2009 season and the brand new surface at Oriel Park with a friendly against Glasgow Celtic on Sunday 1st March. The match will have a 2pm kick-off. Ticket details will be released soon.

Speaking about the match - Dundalk manager Sean Connor said: "Celtic will be bringing over a strong team with a mixture of first team and reserve team players. Celtic have a very big squad. They are flying straight back after the match for a game on the following Wednesday. Neil Lennon has told us that he expects 4-5 players who play against us to also play in their match on the following Wednesday. This will hopefully start a good relationship with Celtic and we will work hard to get the entire Celtic 1st team over during the summer. It's very exciting for the club and hopefully the people of the town and beyond will come and support the event."

all dundalk fans
all loi fans
and all celtic fans in general should go to this
all welcome :)

sligoman
15/02/2009, 11:43 PM
Why should all LOI fans go to this? It's a meaningless game which will probably feature mostly Celtic reserves, no matter what Connor says.

dannydundalk
15/02/2009, 11:53 PM
why should loi fans go to this?

well, it could be a way of fathers bringing their family out for the day....

a good's day's enjoyment for those that like football seeing celtic play(regardless of big names etc.)

besides that....it's on a sunday...with nothing else to do......it is something for people to do

Town Legend
15/02/2009, 11:54 PM
If it were for a Euro tie then yes but pre season friendly??? I don't think so.

dannydundalk
16/02/2009, 12:00 AM
fair point ...but it is something to do within the region of belfast to dublin to see a few (at least 5) names promised by neil lennon to come over and play

Paddywhackspurs
16/02/2009, 12:40 AM
dannydundalk

This is what ****es me off. we are eircom league teams trying to compete with premiership teams no matter what league they come from. in other words we should be backing games like this & trying to promote the team that play in ireland........... may they be from the north of south it makes not diffenrece as long as it ups the profile of the league. so whats with who plays who & where..thats the problem with LOI fans we need to back any team(LOI) that are playing against big teams from england or scotland.. OPEN UR EYES & LOOK AT WHAT THE KIDS ARE WEARING....Not local i think

maroon ultra
16/02/2009, 2:28 AM
why should loi fans go to this?

well, it could be a way of fathers bringing their family out for the day....

a good's day's enjoyment for those that like football seeing celtic play(regardless of big names etc.)

besides that....it's on a sunday...with nothing else to do......it is something for people to do

It could be a way of fathers bringing their familys out for the day???? Weirdest reason ever.

ciaraa
16/02/2009, 4:03 AM
Dundalk Football Club will launch the 2009 season and the brand new surface at Oriel Park with a friendly against Glasgow Celtic on Sunday 1st March. The match will have a 2pm kick-off. Ticket details will be released soon.

Speaking about the match - Dundalk manager Sean Connor said: "Celtic will be bringing over a strong team with a mixture of first team and reserve team players. Celtic have a very big squad. They are flying straight back after the match for a game on the following Wednesday. Neil Lennon has told us that he expects 4-5 players who play against us to also play in their match on the following Wednesday. This will hopefully start a good relationship with Celtic and we will work hard to get the entire Celtic 1st team over during the summer. It's very exciting for the club and hopefully the people of the town and beyond will come and support the event."

all dundalk fans
all loi fans
and all celtic fans in general should go to this
all welcome :)

Should be a very entertaining occasion.

Sam_Heggy
16/02/2009, 7:54 AM
Sure if ye want a day out on the 1st March then Johnny Minnock is having his testimonial match in Finn Park against Derry City. :D

dcfcsteve
16/02/2009, 9:17 AM
The value of friendlies against Celtic has declined dramatically in the eyes of City fans since we got lumbered with a team of unknowns the last time they played us (as part of weaseling out of a chunk of the Paddy McCourt transfer fee).

The penny weill drop for other teams soon enough. These clubs get more out of a friendly with LOI sides than the reverse. They bring over a team of mostly nobodies, plus the odd 'star' to keep the Oirish fans drooling (does Celtic actually have any stars ? :confused:), and they keep the merchandise market boiling over for themselves for another few years in that area.

I'd rather watch Partick...

Jersey Cow
16/02/2009, 9:21 AM
Yea its a ball of sh*te playing Celtic Reserves......as a matter of interest how much is the admission for this match v Celtic ??

holidaysong
16/02/2009, 9:37 AM
Yea its a ball of sh*te playing Celtic Reserves......as a matter of interest how much is the admission for this match v Celtic ??

It hasn't officially been announced yet but rumours on OrielWeb of €20/€15 (stand/ground) and €15/€10 for season ticket holders.

Dodge
16/02/2009, 9:43 AM
Pats playing Chelsea (XI) on Wednesday. Apparently tickets selling very well. Pats have definitely sold it as a Chelseas reserves/youths so there can be no complaining when Drogba and Lampard don't play

They're charging €10 for terrace, €15 for stand and €5 for kids/concessions. Season ticket holders get in free too

Neish
16/02/2009, 10:10 AM
Don't think March is a great time to play Celtic(or any big british team) their hardly going to play any 1st team players when they are entering the final quater(and so-called business section) of their season. Harps played Celtic in August 07 and although we made a significent profit from it. it was their close season and they sent few 1st teamers Caldwell, Pressley,O'Dea, Balde and Sno (if memory serves) most of the rest of the squad were youth or reserve players. So I can't see them sending any kind of strong side in their mid season.

But best of luck to Dundalk and if ya take a a few quid if the armchair fans supporting their so called Irish club it can't be a bad thing(but it does say something about the average Irish football fan that they would rather go watch a youth/reserve british side than their own local club)

holidaysong
16/02/2009, 10:17 AM
But best of luck to Dundalk and if ya take a a few quid if the armchair fans supporting their so called Irish club it can't be a bad thing

Exactly. I'm under no illusions that it'll be a full Celtic team but hopefully we can keep the fact that it'll be mostly reserves hush and bring in some money.

adamd164
16/02/2009, 10:32 AM
Are the rest of us honestly supposed to give a monkeys that ye're playing this shower of plastic paddies in a meaningless kick around?!

Dodge
16/02/2009, 10:37 AM
Are the rest of us honestly supposed to give a monkeys that ye're playing this shower of plastic paddies in a meaningless kick around?!

relax will you? You think people here give a toss about 90% of whats posted? SOme people will be interested, most won't. Why you getting so worked up?

adamd164
16/02/2009, 10:39 AM
No probably not, but at least most of the threads have some general LOI relevance!

thischarmingman
16/02/2009, 11:19 AM
Good luck and I hope it pulls inthe euros at any rate but you'll forgive us Derry fans our cynicism regarding Celtic visits. The game we paid £20.00 (or maybe £25.00) for last season was truly one of the worst games I've ever been too. I've never in my life been so bored at a match or wanted it to be over so quickly. At least other mind-numbingly boring games have something riding on them. I know I good few who vowed 'Never again.'

dannydundalk
16/02/2009, 12:07 PM
awright no bother ......just looking foward to this you know?
hopefully it will be good

thischarmingman
16/02/2009, 12:09 PM

I now feel like I've just told a kid Santa doesn't exist.

holidaysong
16/02/2009, 12:09 PM

I don't see the attraction to be honest. Our first game back in the big time on March 6th is far more important.

Dunny
16/02/2009, 12:13 PM
I don't see the attraction to be honest. Our first game back in the big time on March 6th is far more important.

Novelty factor.

celticV3
16/02/2009, 12:13 PM
Surely Dundalk are looking forward to the friendly with Sligo Rovers this weekend and not some small scottish outfit?:D

dannydundalk
16/02/2009, 12:21 PM
that is a good one though:p

dublin_owl
16/02/2009, 12:32 PM
No probably not, but at least most of the threads have some general LOI relevance!

Correct me if I'm wrong here adam, but Dundalk are a League of Ireland club, yes. And given that they are one of two clubs involved in this pre-season friendly (note that the "season" referred to here is in fact the League of Ireland season, so this is a pre-League of Ireland-season friendly) then I think one could certainly be forgiven for thinking that this thread qualifies as one that has "some general LOI relevance". No?

Neish
16/02/2009, 4:48 PM

Amm Dundalk are playing is that not relevant to LOI?

dannydundalk
16/02/2009, 6:46 PM
thank you lads...course it is