PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weekend

thesilverfox
15/02/2009, 9:34 PM
First of all I wanted to keep this away from the "Aviva Stadium" thread, but with people here talking about the possibilty of a League game opening up the Stadium it reminded me what happens in English Rugby League with their "Magic Weekend". Basically the premise is that all the league games take place in a large stadium over the weekend with 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. The Millenium Stadium held it in 2007 and 2008 and its in Murrayfield this year.

A team loses a home game, but revenue generated on the Saturday is equally distributed between the six teams that played on the Saturday and the same happens on the Sunday. This means making more money than they would at a typical home game. Only day tickets are sold so you can watch all the games on the day and spice things up by having derbies.

Here are two links to the idea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Magic
http://www.themagicweekend.co.uk/

Basically, Im wondering do people think its an idea that the League of Ireland could try? It would create positive publicity and has been a proven success eash time it has run in Wales.

Dodge
15/02/2009, 9:36 PM
that was suggested in the Aviva thread... (by me)

thesilverfox
15/02/2009, 9:40 PM
that was suggested in the Aviva thread... (by me)

Agologies:o Is it in the Ireland forum or League of Ireland forum? looked in both but saw nothing.

Dodge
15/02/2009, 9:41 PM
No bother

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=111807

thesilverfox
15/02/2009, 9:44 PM
If I don't see Monkey knife fights I'll be asking for my money back. Could do what the Rugby Super League do and have all 6 (or in our case 5) games in a weekend at the same venue. 3 on saturday, two on Sunday. Have merchandise stalls galore and one ticket does you for the weekend

Sorry Dodge, Never saw it at all. For once I thought I had a decent (original) idea:)

Rovers Maniac
15/02/2009, 10:04 PM
A magic weekend would be an amazing idea.

redobit
16/02/2009, 1:08 PM
I like this idea. Could go down well. Maybe a few cup matches might spice it up a bit more - it would feel more like a cup final for some teams!

holidaysong
16/02/2009, 3:12 PM
Actually no what i would have is all 10 clubs involved.
3 matchs Saturday,2 Sunday.Kick offs 1.30,3.30,5.30 on saturday,2.00,4.00 Sunday.

Saturday,Pats-Dundalk(1.30),Bohs-Rovers(3.30),Bray-Drogheda(5.30)

Sunday, Galway-Sligo(2.00) Cork-Derry(4.00)

40 euro for both days (Adult) 20 euro both days (u16,senior)
25 euro saturday (Adult) 12 euro saturday (u16,senior)
20 euro sunday (adult) 10 euro sunday (u16,senior)

Thoughts?

Whatever about having Dublin clubs moving their home games to Lansdowne having Cork or Galway doing it is just stupid.

WoodquayBoy
16/02/2009, 3:39 PM
Yeah, but might be the only chance we'll get to play there

Longfordian
16/02/2009, 3:42 PM
You could do it in Thomond Park for the western and southern clubs. Guaranteed to have a few monkey knife fights in the vicinity...(joking Limerick people, joking)

Dodge
16/02/2009, 3:43 PM
You could do it in Thomond Park for the western and southern clubs.

Defeating the prupose of Lansdowne getting its safety cert (presumably LOI fans are too hardcore for safety)

pineapple stu
16/02/2009, 3:45 PM
3 matchs Saturday,2 Sunday.Kick offs 1.30,3.30,5.30 on saturday,2.00,4.00 Sunday.
Can't have kick offs that close together; only leaves 15 minutes between matches, not allowing for injury time and teams warming up. Would probably have to be a three hour gap between start times.

Longfordian
16/02/2009, 3:46 PM
Yeah but as a promotional exercise the same principles would apply Dodge.

WoodquayBoy
16/02/2009, 3:54 PM
Can't have Limerick or Wexford involved - presumably the back pitches in Lansdowne are gone, so where would they warm up??

Flexy
16/02/2009, 9:28 PM
A magic weekend would be an amazing idea.
I went to the magic weekend in Cardiff last year for the rugby league, there was such a carnival atmosphere around the place, bars and restaurants were busy and the city and the stadium were buzzing. Its a great idea we should look at, only concern would be the threat of trouble from the small minority

thischarmingman
17/02/2009, 9:23 AM
Doing it for the cup quarter-finals or even the semi-finals would be amazing, and with a bumper crowd.

thesilverfox
17/02/2009, 10:23 AM
Alright yeh have a 45 minute break between the matchs,that enough?
I'd involve all the clubs not just Dublin, so they can get a bit of cash aswell.

We'd also have to consider the fact that if the gap between games is too long,wtf are the fans gonna do for that time?

Do you actually have a clue what your on about? You seem to be chopping and changing your ideas every 5 minutes to suit what other people think when they crticise ya.

There is a tried and tested formula with the rugby league model and as to only give a 15 minute break between games not including injury time and assuming its going to be run as efficient and as punctual as the German rail system it simply idiotic.

Dodge
17/02/2009, 10:42 AM
Do you actually have a clue what your on about? You seem to be chopping and changing your ideas every 5 minutes to suit what other people think when they crticise ya.

There is a tried and tested formula with the rugby league model and as to only give a 15 minute break between games not including injury time and assuming its going to be run as efficient and as punctual as the German rail system it simply idiotic.

Jesus, relax. he madea suggestion, listened to what people said, and then modified his idea. Seems like standard practice to me.

The real key is whether they can get the corperate sector on board (including TV) and what knid of food/drink will be available to keep people there for 6 hours. They'd also need to keep prices as low as possible as you won't get too many people paying €40 when all they really want to see is their team

endabob1
17/02/2009, 10:52 AM
I think 5 games in 2 days is too much, I doubt you would get many non-loi fans going to both days, I personally think a Season Opening double header (similar to the RFU Premiership at Twickenham) is a better idea and/or (as suggested earlier) a Cup semi-final double header.
Charge the same amount as any of the Dublin Clubs do for a single game, therefore to the uninitiated it’s a 2 for 1* deal and to the fans of the 4 clubs involved it’s a chance to A) see your team at Lansdowne & B) see another game for free!
Initially it would make more sense to use the Dublin Clubs as guinea pigs although one team would have to relinquish their home advantage!

* I like the marketing idea & play on word possibilities of 2-4-1. Posters interspersed with formations 442, 433, 451, 532 etc.. with 241 in large bold, 2 games 4 teams 1 price, loads of possibilities