PDA

View Full Version : Rep Ireland v N. Ireland in August?

A face
15/02/2009, 4:56 PM
Rep Ireland v N. Ireland friendly in August? Denied on Final Score on Saturday (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/default.stm), anyone know where this came from?

Eirambler
15/02/2009, 5:09 PM
I heard a rumour we would play then in Thomond Park, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

Would be good to have a senior game outside Dublin though. Can't think when the last one would have been. 80's maybe?

A face
15/02/2009, 5:13 PM
I heard a rumour we would play then in Thomond Park

It would be a good venue for it alright though.

zenokelly
15/02/2009, 5:24 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4017

Paddy Garcia
15/02/2009, 6:22 PM
Its a great opportunity for some of their B players to get a trial for us.;)

Lionel Ritchie
15/02/2009, 10:05 PM
FAI have denied it. There apparently will be a friendly at TP in August but it won't be against the north. I think they're playing Israel on the day touted.

the doc
15/02/2009, 11:35 PM
Rep Ireland v N. Ireland friendly in August? Denied on Final Score on Saturday (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/default.stm), anyone know where this came from?

Wonder if St Ledger will get a game? ;)

seanfhear
16/02/2009, 7:22 AM
With all the aggro that we are going to get about players from the six counties playing for Ireland(now and in the future) then I believe that we should avoid playing NI unless we are drawn against them in competitions.
To be honest the negatives outweigh the positives in this case.

gspain
16/02/2009, 7:36 AM
Northern Ireland arranged a friendly with Israel for the August date weeks ago. I'm saving saturday's sun as a souvenir as it is the first time ever they've got a story wrong. :D

It does look like we'll have a friendly in Thomond but not v Northern Ireland.

Stuttgart88
17/02/2009, 5:18 PM
NI vs Israel. Hmmm, so if a handful of Sinn Feiners make some kind of a protest against Israel's Gaza excursions does that mean we can cite the anti-semitic behaviour of NI football fans? I obviously wouldn't but some were happy to do the same when the reverse happened here.

co. down green
18/02/2009, 9:14 AM
Possibly two international games for Thomond Park

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0218/1224241330910.html

an_ceannaire
18/02/2009, 9:17 AM
Bringing the North down here would NOT be a good idea!! There would be plenty scobes down this way only too happy to see a few Union Jacks and Linfield shirts around town, it would not end well.
Sorry, but no, not a good idea.

Claret Murph
18/02/2009, 9:21 AM
Look at the positive side of it , just an hour an a half from Athenry , now talk about a home game or what ........:):):)

tetsujin1979
18/02/2009, 9:56 AM
Bringing the North down here would NOT be a good idea!! There would be plenty scobes down this way only too happy to see a few Union Jacks and Linfield shirts around town, it would not end well.
Agreed, that would be a disaster waiting to happen.
I'd expect the opposition to be in the mid-to-lower ranked countries. Someone like Australia would be ideal

frog-gufc
18/02/2009, 9:58 AM
twud be nice for a friendly to be played in pearse stadium

kingdomkerry
18/02/2009, 10:23 AM
We should avoid playing NI at all costs unless we have to play them. More trouble than its worth. Just ignore them and pretend they dont exist. Oh wait.....

fergalr
18/02/2009, 12:23 PM

Ehr - are you aware of the Setanta Cup?

an_ceannaire
18/02/2009, 1:01 PM
Ehr - are you aware of the Setanta Cup?

Ehr, are you aware Limerick have never been it...ehr ehr ehr ehr ......

NeilMcD
18/02/2009, 4:31 PM
So how much does Thomond hold is it 28000 I think, maybe I am wrong. It will be interesting how they do the ticketing for this game.

Also maybe the title of the thread should be changed as it has been confirmed that it will not be Northern Ireland who is playing

Maybe the title should read Ireland to play in Thomond Park.

Razors left peg
18/02/2009, 4:35 PM
Wonder if St Ledger will get a game? ;)

You must be either related or in love with that guy. never seen anyone so obcessed with one player

The Fly
18/02/2009, 5:11 PM
So how much does Thomond hold is it 28000 I think, maybe I am wrong. It will be interesting how they do the ticketing for this game.

Also maybe the title of the thread should be changed as it has been confirmed that it will not be Northern Ireland who is playing

Maybe the title should read Ireland to play in Thomond Park.

Capacity is 26,500. I think 15,000 of which is seated, the rest terracing.

geysir
18/02/2009, 5:57 PM
You must be either related or in love with that guy. never seen anyone so obcessed with one player
You didn't read the other Doc on the Robbie Keane 'Leaving of Liverpool' thread?

Lionel Ritchie
18/02/2009, 6:05 PM
Agreed, that would be a disaster waiting to happen.
I'd expect the opposition to be in the mid-to-lower ranked countries. Someone like Australia would be ideal

I dunno, maybe you and caeannaire are right about it not being a good idea to bring the north down to Limerick but ...I didn't think it was a bad idea.

I just hate the idea of having to scratch my chin and ask "hmmm ...how will this go down with the chavs?" before having any event on. It's a Smaller ground, reduced availability of tickets means fewer gob****es are likely to get tickets for the game itself.

That just leaves the walk to the ground and the city center itself ...if there's plenty of cops on duty then that can make sure everyone has a good time and gets home safe, feck it get the army out if we have to -and if just a single one of them freckle faced, sticky headed, tupac quoting knobs says so much as "waaah -ghoul" ...shoot him. Friendly but firm. :)

Anyway -I think it might be New Zealand ...a rugby score anyone? :D

Razors left peg
18/02/2009, 6:07 PM
You didn't read the other Doc on the Robbie Keane 'Leaving of Liverpool' thread?

ah but the other doc is finished with Robbie after he took the easy option to go back to Spurs;):D

Closed Account 2
19/02/2009, 8:58 AM
I'd like to see us play Bosnia, Slovenia or Lithuania. All of these teams would provide a good challenge and would give us opposition of a similar playing style to Montenegro. They all play fast short passing games, breaking with speed from midfield.