PDA

View Full Version : Should clubs move their games to accomodate Premiership?

Gary
25/11/2003, 12:56 PM
Perhaps a mod can merge this into a poll.

Cork City have asked the league can they bring the KO time on sunday forward to 2 pm, becasue Manyoo and chelsea are on the telly.

Should any self respecting club in the eL do this? And if you think so, that they should, what would your reasoning be?

I will be quite anoyed if we move our game to accomodate it. The only move that would be ok (imo) is to bring it forward by 15 mins, no more.

:confused:

Estar
25/11/2003, 1:04 PM
If more people go to the match, why not it's better for Cork City.

Macy
25/11/2003, 1:06 PM
It makes sense to avoid the clash purely for financial reasons. Like it or not, the eL is never going to win the choice between the two.

btw Cork shouldn't (and won't) be allowed to move the kick off, since the whole point of moving the games to Sunday was to give no advantage to clubs that have something to play for - in this case yourselves and Pats, and Derry and UCD....

pete
25/11/2003, 1:47 PM
Originally posted by Macy
btw Cork shouldn't (and won't) be allowed to move the kick off, since the whole point of moving the games to Sunday was to give no advantage to clubs that have something to play for - in this case yourselves and Pats, and Derry and UCD....

Yeah would mean have to move ko at Richmond too.

Slightly off topic but i think its stupid to have all the game son sunday. The el is effectively an evening ko league & we just spend over & months watching evening matches only to move the ko for the least round of matchs to a sunday. Why are all games played on sunday?

:confused:

Macy
25/11/2003, 2:04 PM
I explained it on the cork forum, but Town are played last night and are away to Pats on Thursday, so us and Pats can hardly be expected to play two nights running? Also as I've said before, Longford have been effected more than any other club in terms of moving home games because of the fixture rush - two of our home games were forced to be played on a Friday to ensure the league finished on time....

pete
25/11/2003, 2:09 PM
I explained it on the cork forum, but Town are played last night and are away to Pats on Thursday, so us and Pats can hardly be expected to play two nights running?...

Agree with all that. Meant to say that the league always moves the last round of games to sunday & probably would have done this year too if not got fixture congestion.

Colm
25/11/2003, 4:39 PM
No way should we move our match because of a game that's on telly. If we do, it shows that we still have an inferiority complex.

If the game is to be moved to an earlier sunday ko, we may aswell go one step further and just move it to Friday or Saturday night when we will be assured of getting a big crowd.

TheRealRovers
25/11/2003, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by Colm
No way should we move our match because of a game that's on telly.
True

tiktok
26/11/2003, 11:07 AM
No way should we move our match because of a game that's on telly. If we do, it shows that we still have an inferiority complex.

i agree to a point, but it would have made financial sense to have a 2.00 k.o.

we will have a small turn out on sunday, despite the importance of the result to us. (it's less important because they'll have paid in at the start but wait for the drop off in numbers at HT if the first half is poor.) bad planning, and stupid breaks throughout the season have contributed to this.

Dodge
26/11/2003, 11:18 AM
Well they got their wish. All games KO at 2pm now...

brendy_éire
26/11/2003, 2:06 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Well they got their wish. All games KO at 2pm now...

Is that for definate? Where'd ye hear this?

Robinski
26/11/2003, 2:42 PM
I heard it today too, all matches on Sunday are now being played at 2pm.

Macy
26/11/2003, 2:44 PM
Typical FAI Cork Bias, moving all the games for them....

;)

brendy_éire
26/11/2003, 3:04 PM
Typical FAI Cork Bias, moving all the games for them....

;)

It's likely that TV3 also asked for the KO times to be changed as they're showing the Waterford - Derry game.

Éanna
26/11/2003, 4:10 PM
I say we shouldn't move the kick off. If people want to watch overrated crap on the telly to hell with them

sadloserkid
26/11/2003, 4:15 PM

Not to mention the fact that if everybody followed the eircom League then Colm would have to lose the superiority complex.

Like it or not right now we're offering an inferior product. I follow the eircom League because A)I'm Irish and B)It's a live, in-the-flesh experience. I do not kid myself that our teams would be any match for Chelsea and Man Yoo. Before anybody bemoans this as a lack of loyalty on my part I would like somebody to mention our European results for the last couple of years. When you're losing to teams from the likes of Malta and Cyprus your product needs improvment. Bohs win against Belarus and Pats Intertoto exploits aside the last two seasons have been depressing in that context.

To pretend otherwise is just burying your head in the sand and ignoring the issue. I would always attend an Irish game rather than watch one on television for the reasons outlined above but to a lot of people don't see it that way. If moving kick-off brought a couple of hundred of them to games this weekend and fifty went on to become diehards it would have been well worth it. As it stands too many people market the League as golden but right now it's tin with a thin gold coating - improving yes, but nowhere near as magnificent as we'd all like either.

Colm
26/11/2003, 5:03 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Colm would have to lose the superiority complex.

Ah come on now SLK, that's never going to happen! :D

I see what you're saying alright but that doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't have moved the KO time. If we are to ever compete with the bigger leagues in Europe then we have to believe in ourselves. Sure, we're not in the same league as a lot of foreign teams but that shouldn't stop every football fan in Cork being in the Cross to support the Rebel Army on Sunday.
In my eyes, it is very sad that we still have to move a game so as not to clash with TV. I thought we'd gone beyond that stage.

ccfcgirl
26/11/2003, 5:12 PM
i think it should be changed i wont be watching the utd match but i know alot of city supporters will not come to the cross if the games clash and to give the team a good boost and to help the club money wise the more fans the cross gets the better.

A face
26/11/2003, 5:54 PM
Typical FAI Cork Bias, moving all the games for them

Originally posted by brendy_eire
It's likely that TV3 also asked for the KO times to be changed as they're showing the Waterford - Derry game.

Typical .... mouthin' off without the facts Macy :D !!

Ah you're alright ...... for a townie !!

brendy_éire
26/11/2003, 6:24 PM
Emailed the FAI and got this back:

"all Premier Division fixtures are at 3.15pm"

I assume they're not getting changed so.

sadloserkid
27/11/2003, 1:07 PM
Ah come on now SLK, that's never going to happen! :D

I see what you're saying alright but that doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't have moved the KO time. If we are to ever compete with the bigger leagues in Europe then we have to believe in ourselves. Sure, we're not in the same league as a lot of foreign teams but that shouldn't stop every football fan in Cork being in the Cross to support the Rebel Army on Sunday.
In my eyes, it is very sad that we still have to move a game so as not to clash with TV. I thought we'd gone beyond that stage.

Believe it or not Colm I see your point too! :) I agree that it's very sad and disheartening to see teams changing games because of foreign fixtures. But the fact it that not every football fan in Cork will go to the X if there's a game on telly (not a dig at Cork by the way, this applies across the board). Someday hopefully we'll be in a position to ignore the likes of Chelsea and Man Yoo but until then I honestly feel that our clubs should swallow their pride.

Robinski
27/11/2003, 3:01 PM
There's nothing on the FAI site about the games being at 2pm, I think some clubs wanted that option (to get more bums on seats) but the FAI refused.

All games are still at 3.15pm on Sunday.

Jaysus this is confusing!

Macy
27/11/2003, 3:42 PM
In fairness to the FAI, did they actually announce the games had changed? or was it clubs chancing that it would be changed?

Robinski
27/11/2003, 4:00 PM
The only fixture change that was announced by the FAI was the Shels v Rovers match that's being played tomorrow night instead of Sunday afternoon.

They never said anything about a change in kick off times for the rest of the matches being played on Sunday.

Macy
27/11/2003, 4:03 PM
Just wanted to clarify, so basically any confusion caused is (some of) the clubs faults.....

Robinski
27/11/2003, 4:12 PM
That's my understanding. Some Clubs, not all, wanted the fixture change in order to get a better gate.