PDA

View Full Version : 6,000 Unused Tickets on Wednesday!

eirebhoy
13/02/2009, 9:10 AM
I could have put this in the empty seats thread but thought it should have a thread of it's own. A quote from Delaney:

"50,000 tickets sold for a mid-week match against Georgia is still very good, even if the crowd was 44,000. Those who were not there wanted to keep their block booking."

I was defending Irish fans against claims of fickleness as I don't think a lot of people that fill the stadium for the big games are actually fans. More just Irish people going to a big event to support their country. But those on the block booking are obviously fans. Anyone that just threw €50 to keep their block booking and sat at home to watch the match is the ultimate fickle fan.

But I really doubt there's anywhere close to that 6,000 people that would do that. I'd say the vast majority of those tickets are tout tickets and something has to be done about that before we move back to Lansdowne.

Dodge
13/02/2009, 9:13 AM
I know one guy who has a group booking for a club, and he was left with 12/13 tickets on Wednesday. I'd imagine that was the case for a good percentage

eirebhoy
13/02/2009, 9:38 AM
I know one guy who has a group booking for a club, and he was left with 12/13 tickets on Wednesday. I'd imagine that was the case for a good percentage
Alright. Not good for the club losing 600 quid.

ArdeeBhoy
13/02/2009, 9:43 AM
As yer man says, these are mainly tickets held through clubs, football or supporters'.
There's nothing that fickle about the many fans who can't afford to travel or get out of other commitments on Weds, especially as many are based miles from the venue!

And 'the product' on show doesn't always encourage your floating fan.

Dodge
13/02/2009, 9:55 AM
Alright. Not good for the club losing 600 quid.

Absolutely. They use some of their booking for raffles etc so they obviously feel it worthwhile to keep the whole booking.

Claret Murph
13/02/2009, 10:05 AM
Lets face it for some fans that travel from the outside Ireland It could mean taking a couple of days off work and others like myself who don't live in Dublin can manage to get away with only taking a half day off and at best the whole day did cost me somewhere around Euro 120 . But all said and done it ended up a great day and all the talk was about are you going to SA :):ball:

eirebhoy
13/02/2009, 10:33 AM
Lets face it for some fans that travel from the outside Ireland It could mean taking a couple of days off work and others like myself who don't live in Dublin can manage to get away with only taking a half day off and at best the whole day did cost me somewhere around Euro 120 . But all said and done it ended up a great day and all the talk was about are you going to SA :):ball:
If they're only going to 1 in every 2 games or so it's an expensive 90 minutes. :) I know plenty of Dubs with Celtic season tickets but they share them. Someone will use the ticket for almost every game. If people know they're not going to games maybe make arrangements to give the ticket to someone.

Claret Murph
13/02/2009, 11:44 AM
Funny you should say that Eirebohy as when we were in a pub a couple were looking for tickets . :o

gspain
13/02/2009, 2:19 PM
I think very few would be touts. I know of bbers from outside Dublin who couldn't take the half day from work not to mind travel costs etc.

While tickets may be easy to come by now once we go to the Aviva they will become a problem.

Bluetonic
13/02/2009, 5:57 PM
But I really doubt there's anywhere close to that 6,000 people that would do that. I'd say the vast majority of those tickets are tout tickets and something has to be done about that before we move back to Lansdowne.
It's simple enough to solve.

They need to issue block booking cards which you swipe on the way in, one card for each seat on a block booking (groups leaders can worry about the logistics of handing out and collecting cards). The benefit for the FAI is that there is no need to send out tickets anymore, the ticket is preloaded onto the card. Upon entry a swipe is taken and that registers that block booking seat used for that particular game. At the end of each campaign the block booker (or individual seat) has to have attended say 80% of games (incl friendlies) to be entitled to renewal for the next season.

The FAI can put a system in place where block bookers can resell their seats a limited number of times a campaign online in the same way that English premier league clubs facilitate their fans, say twice in a campaign (incl friendlies).

This will help reduce the reselling of tickets we see facilitated here and on other other fora which allows people to keep a hold of block bookings as people are less likely to trust a stranger with a block booking swipe.

John83
13/02/2009, 6:14 PM
While tickets may be easy to come by now once we go to Lansdowne Road they will become a problem.
There; fixed it for you.

elroy
13/02/2009, 7:55 PM
It's simple enough to solve.

They need to issue block booking cards which you swipe on the way in, one card for each seat on a block booking (groups leaders can worry about the logistics of handing out and collecting cards). The benefit for the FAI is that there is no need to send out tickets anymore, the ticket is preloaded onto the card. Upon entry a swipe is taken and that registers that block booking seat used for that particular game. At the end of each campaign the block booker (or individual seat) has to have attended say 80% of games (incl friendlies) to be entitled to renewal for the next season.

The FAI can put a system in place where block bookers can resell their seats a limited number of times a campaign online in the same way that English premier league clubs facilitate their fans, say twice in a campaign (incl friendlies).

This will help reduce the reselling of tickets we see facilitated here and on other other fora which allows people to keep a hold of block bookings as people are less likely to trust a stranger with a block booking swipe.

The idea for a card for BB's is not a bad idea. I agree with gspain that once we go back to LR, tickets will become a problem again, initially at least. Like the Croke Park factor, people will want to go to the new stadium etc etc.

The recession and the fact that the game was on a wed night had alot to do with smaller crowd imo. As mentioned above, its expensive for a BB down the country to go to a game on a wed night.....cost,time off work etc.

I think a 50k capacity stadium is about right for football (Obviously for the more glamour and bigger games the demand for tickets will always be higher), it means that the vast majority of games will sell out and more times than not we will have a crowd where the vast majority attending actually care about the team and wont decide to do a mexican wave half way through cos they're bored :mad:

ArdeeBhoy
14/02/2009, 12:23 AM
If they're only going to 1 in every 2 games or so it's an expensive 90 minutes. :)
I know plenty of Dubs with Celtic season tickets but they share them. Someone will use the ticket for almost every game. If people know they're not going to games maybe make arrangements to give the ticket to someone.

Sadly people didn't want to go Weds, mainly for economic or work-related reasons.

And sadly, 50k at Lansdowne is looking pitifully accurate for most soccer games?
:-(

Bluetonic
14/02/2009, 9:14 AM
50,000 capacity seems fine if it was 50,000 seats available to Joe public, but the fact of the matter matter is that there will only be 35,000 available, not far off what the (over subscribed) block booking was in Lansdowne.

gspain
16/02/2009, 7:50 AM
50,000 capacity seems fine if it was 50,000 seats available to Joe public, but the fact of the matter matter is that there will only be 35,000 available, not far off what the (over subscribed) block booking was in Lansdowne.

In most cases the away fans won't take up their allocation. They had 3,500 of the seats at the old Lansdowne too.

I can't see the corporate seats selling out. Therefore they'll be available on a match by match basis. They'll end up going to league officials etc and freeing up ordinary seats.

I think 51,000 is spot on for football. Sure the bigger games could sellout ten times over but better to have the stadium full or almost full for all games.

Bluetonic
16/02/2009, 9:13 AM
Still going to be a disappointment to those who have been catered in Croke Park whilst on the block booking waiting list, while those on the main block booking sold on their tickets (facilitated through good meaning websites) regularly and did not attend yet will be guaranteed Lansdowne Road tickets.

36,000 Old capacity
3,600 away allocation
32,400 block booking allocation

50,000 new capacity
5,000 away allocation
10,000 premium level
35,000 block booking allocation*

*obviously some of this will be waiting list as existing corporate block bookers from the old Lansdowne take up premium tickets. My guess is up to around 2,000 on the waiting list should be catered for if the average is around 3 tickets per block booking waiting list number.

Schumi
16/02/2009, 11:00 AM
Still going to be a disappointment to those who have been catered in Croke Park whilst on the block booking waiting list, while those on the main block booking sold on their tickets (facilitated through good meaning websites) regularly and did not attend yet will be guaranteed Lansdowne Road tickets.How big is the waiting list? The figures on threads here indicate an attendance of 44,000 on Wednesday with 6,000 tickets unused. That's a total of 50,000 tickets sold so the capacity of Lansdowne should come very close to covering everyone on the waiting list.

My guess is up to around 2,000 on the waiting list should be catered for if the average is around 3 tickets per block booking waiting list number.
Only two tickets per block booking unless they've changed it since I got on.

stiffler
16/02/2009, 11:14 AM
I'd say the vast majority of those tickets are tout tickets and something has to be done about that before we move back to Lansdowne.

How could touts make money out of a game like this? surely they would make a loss on the tickets?

Dodge
16/02/2009, 11:23 AM
How could touts make money out of a game like this? surely they would make a loss on the tickets?

Thats his point.

They lose money on this but won't give up their block booking because they know they can make their money from the Italy games etc

Newryrep
16/02/2009, 11:25 AM
Still going to be a disappointment to those who have been catered in Croke Park whilst on the block booking waiting list, while those on the main block booking sold on their tickets (facilitated through good meaning websites) regularly and did not attend yet will be guaranteed Lansdowne Road tickets.

36,000 Old capacity
3,600 away allocation
32,400 block booking allocation

50,000 new capacity
5,000 away allocation
10,000 premium level
35,000 block booking allocation*

*obviously some of this will be waiting list as existing corporate block bookers from the old Lansdowne take up premium tickets. My guess is up to around 2,000 on the waiting list should be catered for if the average is around 3 tickets per block booking waiting list number.

I think the corparate is 11000 meaning BB allocation of 34000. I also reckon/hope the first 2000 should be OK say additiinal 4000 tickets (2 per WL)due to transfers/extra etc (I believe there are 6500 on the waiting list)

However the FAI can virtually guareentee an additional 3000 tickets due to the way allocation not being used. They tickets should be offered to the unusccessfull waiting listers on a formal basis - similar to the arrangement that was in place for the friendlies where with the terracing the fist 2000 were offered tickets.

You would then be a conditional block booker -guarenteed tickets subject to the away fan allocation. Cant see Italy taking more than 2000 so those 3000 tickets go to the waiting list not public sale. If this campaign was at the new LR you could practically guarantee an additional 3000 tickets to BB's.

There are only 6 or 7 teams who would take 5000 or more to a game against us,

SuperDave
16/02/2009, 3:21 PM
i've a question: existing block bookers were told they could get extra tickets for games at croker, and were told they were going to lose these once we go back to Lansdiva Road. However, waiting listers were basically offered as many as they wanted, up to 8 per game (4 in my case). Now, does that mean I'll get four tickets per game at lansdiva, or will I be given a max of two? I fully expect to get sorted btw as i'm under number 1,200 on the list.

Newryrep
16/02/2009, 3:43 PM
i've a question: existing block bookers were told they could get extra tickets for games at croker, and were told they were going to lose these once we go back to Lansdiva Road. However, waiting listers were basically offered as many as they wanted, up to 8 per game (4 in my case). Now, does that mean I'll get four tickets per game at lansdiva, or will I be given a max of two? I fully expect to get sorted btw as i'm under number 1,200 on the list.

I would of thought you would get whatever your orignal request was - be it 4 or however many (within reason) you asked for when you first joined the waiting list - seems fair enough but wouldnt take anything for granted

SuperDave
16/02/2009, 4:19 PM
I would of thought you would get whatever your orignal request was - be it 4 or however many (within reason) you asked for when you first joined the waiting list - seems fair enough but wouldnt take anything for granted

was since talking to a girl in the ticket office (she phoned me back after i sent an e-mail) and they don't know / haven't made a decision yet. Confirmed the following though:

1) Existing Block Bookers will return to old allocations on return (as stated in all previous correspondence);

2) People on the waiting list who have not been taking tickets for Croke Park games have nonetheless retained their position on the waiting list;

3) On return to Lansdowne, tickets will be offered to BB waiting listers in one of two ways:

a- a maximum of some set number per person (possibly two); or
b- people at the top of the list will be asked how many they want and the list will be worked down in that way.

All in all, no real surprises, and hopefully at about 1,150 on the list, I will be sorted, as will my mate at about 1,200, with two each (given that I currently take four for me, him, my dad and my bro, and he hasn't bought any for croker) when we move back. As long as I get my four per game, I don't really mind how I get them. And thankfully, even for the crappy games, everyone has paid me for their tickets, so I haven't been responsible for one empty seat yet.

Bluetonic
16/02/2009, 4:40 PM
It's shouldn't really be something they have to make a decision on. When joining the waiting list people specified how many tickets they wanted and therefore thats the amount that should be allocated or less than that amount if the person requires less. Jesus lets not have a system of asking people how many they want or you'll have people picking up 6 or 8 knowing right well they can be sold on.

I'm on the waiting list for three tickets, I've a letter from 2003 or 2004 confirming I'm on the list for three, I've take three for all the games in Croke Park, the same three people have sat in the same three seats (aside from Poland) and would fully expect to be offered three for the new Lansdowne.

Newryrep
16/02/2009, 6:54 PM
was since talking to a girl in the ticket office (she phoned me back after i sent an e-mail) and they don't know / haven't made a decision yet. Confirmed the following though:

1) Existing Block Bookers will return to old allocations on return (as stated in all previous correspondence);

2) People on the waiting list who have not been taking tickets for Croke Park games have nonetheless retained their position on the waiting list;

3) On return to Lansdowne, tickets will be offered to BB waiting listers in one of two ways:

a- a maximum of some set number per person (possibly two); or
b- people at the top of the list will be asked how many they want and the list will be worked down in that way.

All in all, no real surprises, and hopefully at about 1,150 on the list, I will be sorted, as will my mate at about 1,200, with two each (given that I currently take four for me, him, my dad and my bro, and he hasn't bought any for croker) when we move back. As long as I get my four per game, I don't really mind how I get them. And thankfully, even for the crappy games, everyone has paid me for their tickets, so I haven't been responsible for one empty seat yet.

2 why ?????why would you be a waiting lister and not take tickets for Croke Park but want tickets for LR- away for a few years ? getting an existing BB to get you tickets - crazy

3b if the guy in front now wants 10 tickets as his mates are much further down the list when all he wanted previously was 2 does he now get them ? absolute madness

Think I will drop the ticket office a line.

Bluetonic
16/02/2009, 8:31 PM
Think I will drop the ticket office a line.
Please do. Really it should be what you asked for when you joined the list or less if you request.

Feel free to make representations on my behalf also.

Dotsy
17/02/2009, 8:19 AM
I am 353 on the WL for 3 tickets and have been taking three for every match in Croker and for any friendlies I was offered tickets for at LR before the move. If I don't get the three tickets at Landsdowne I will be well ****ed off.

Schumi
17/02/2009, 10:55 AM
2) People on the waiting list who have not been taking tickets for Croke Park games have nonetheless retained their position on the waiting list;That's outrageous. Someone who hasn't bought a ticket for 4 years could get a block booking in Lansdowne ahead someone who's gone to every game. If a block booker doesn't take tickets, they lose their allocation, why is someone on the waiting list different?

Bluetonic
17/02/2009, 11:35 AM
That's outrageous. Someone who hasn't bought a ticket for 4 years could get a block booking in Lansdowne ahead someone who's gone to every game. If a block booker doesn't take tickets, they lose their allocation, why is someone on the waiting list different?
They definitely need to have a rethink of this.

Newryrep
17/02/2009, 2:19 PM
Phoned me today regarding my email this morning

Not much to report, as Superdave said earlier arrangements for LR have not been finalised probably in the Autumn -I think, cant allocate away tickets due to segragation worries (I am sure this will be sorted) but the waiting list appears to have moved forward a couple of hundred since the last time I checked.

Forgot about the not losing your place query if you didnt take tickets for Croker perhaps somebody else can raise it - I was a bit surprised to get the call to be honest

Anyway fair play to the Ticket office for a quick response

Dotsy
17/02/2009, 2:25 PM
That's outrageous. Someone who hasn't bought a ticket for 4 years could get a block booking in Lansdowne ahead someone who's gone to every game. If a block booker doesn't take tickets, they lose their allocation, why is someone on the waiting list different?

A mate of mine was on the waiting list and got offered and took two tickets for all the Croke Park matches up to the Germany/Cyprus matches in 2007. He didn't take the tickets for the Serbia/Brazil matches last year and wasn't offered any for the matches after that. He will be pretty surprised if he gets offered tickets for LR.

eamon666
12/08/2009, 8:07 AM
I’m on the FAI’s block booking list for Republic of Ireland home games since they started their series of games at Croke Park in 2007. I buy eight tickets @ €50 each for myself, friends and family for every home game including friendlies. I was telephoned yesterday by the FAI to tell me that unfortunately I wouldn’t be getting to see the boys in green playing any time soon at their fabulous new stadium on Lansdowne Road. Due to supply and demand I’m roundabout position 1,200 on the waiting list. That’s fair enough. I only signed up relatively recently and though the Aviva has more capacity (50,000) than the old Lansdowne Road (36,000 fully seated) it is a lot smaller than the cavernous Croke Park (82,300). What gets me though, is that once the bad news had been broken, the chat turned into a sales pitch for premium level Vantage Club tickets. My caller was ringing all the block bookers on the waiting list, who regularly buy six or more tickets for RoI home games, to try and sell the “prawn sandwich” tickets that cost €12,000 for ten years. I simply can’t afford that and told him so. Then his tack changed to “well, if you bought a couple of premium tickets on direct debit, we might be able to get you a couple of general admission tickets as well”. Now hang on... I thought they were all allocated. Hmmm... Apres Match once described the FAI as the best run football association in Merrion Square. They’ve moved offices but some things never change.

elroy
12/08/2009, 9:40 AM
I’m on the FAI’s block booking list for Republic of Ireland home games since they started their series of games at Croke Park in 2007. I buy eight tickets @ €50 each for myself, friends and family for every home game including friendlies. I was telephoned yesterday by the FAI to tell me that unfortunately I wouldn’t be getting to see the boys in green playing any time soon at their fabulous new stadium on Lansdowne Road. Due to supply and demand I’m roundabout position 1,200 on the waiting list. That’s fair enough. I only signed up relatively recently and though the Aviva has more capacity (50,000) than the old Lansdowne Road (36,000 fully seated) it is a lot smaller than the cavernous Croke Park (82,300). What gets me though, is that once the bad news had been broken, the chat turned into a sales pitch for premium level Vantage Club tickets. My caller was ringing all the block bookers on the waiting list, who regularly buy six or more tickets for RoI home games, to try and sell the “prawn sandwich” tickets that cost €12,000 for ten years. I simply can’t afford that and told him so. Then his tack changed to “well, if you bought a couple of premium tickets on direct debit, we might be able to get you a couple of general admission tickets as well”. Now hang on... I thought they were all allocated. Hmmm... Apres Match once described the FAI as the best run football association in Merrion Square. They’ve moved offices but some things never change.

Interesting 'selling' approach there indeed, the whole waiting list position is very unclear although I dont imagine too many of us getting onto the BB list proper for LR.

The premium level tickets are just way of range for the average ordinary BB fan so this is extremely poor tact by the FAI and not a good move. A premium ticket works out at 1200 a year, for say 6 home games (max) every year. Even if we played brazil every time, chances are you would get a ticket one way or another for the games for much less than 1200 in total. Even at the height of the celtic tiger, im not convinced these tickets wouldve sold out.

paul_oshea
12/08/2009, 9:47 AM
thats interesting lads, im going to have to make a call then. I was on the waiting list as well but i would like to know whereabouts i am on the list. Ive been on it for about 5 years or so. Coming home for a lot of the home games and going to a good few away games as well I will be peed off if I dont even get 1 ticket.

old git
12/08/2009, 9:50 AM
Sadly people didn't want to go Weds, mainly for economic or work-related reasons.

And sadly, 50k at Lansdowne is looking pitifully accurate for most soccer games?
:-(

or maybe because fai charging to much for tickets for wed,s night :mad:

Planners
12/08/2009, 10:16 AM
Lads - anyone here have a ticket for the North terrace , i'm told they're all gone - I have one for the east terrace and would greatfully swap

theleprechaun
12/08/2009, 11:23 AM
Hi, does anyone have a ticket for the west terrace (north) that they are looking to sell or else swap for a ticket in the east terrace? Thanks