PDA

View Full Version : Booing at half time

Beavis
12/02/2009, 1:24 PM
Looking for some comment from anyone who felt it appropriate to boo at half time. I cannot understand it and would be interested to hear the mindset of those who partook.

We have had a good start to the campaign and we were 1-0 down to a first minute mistake in an otherwise dominant first half. Work rate was always high in the first 45 even if it wasn't always rewarded. Despite what Dunphy might say, we have a modest side and we are going to have it all our way all of the time. Some perspective is greatly needed for a significant portion of our fans.

The players regularly comment in the post-match interviews on the booing indicating that it has an effect on them and, despite that some may foolishly argue that it had an impact on the turn around yesterday, it is never a positive effect. Players know when they are playing badly and when they need to do better. It serves only to widen the divide between player and fan and lessens the desire of the players to achieve for the fans.

In hindsight, is there anyone who thinks they were justified in this ?

irishultra
12/02/2009, 1:26 PM
ahhhh come on it happens everywhere, national teams have fickle fans thats a given, i booed for a second and then i thought again, why am i booing? its not going to give the team confidence. its just a reaction, we were losing 1-0 at home to georgia, a team you'd expect we would beat.

eirebhoy
12/02/2009, 1:32 PM
I've no problem with instinctive things like a groan after a player does something stupid as many people can't help that but booing is a choice. It's ridiculous to boo the team at half time. I was delighted that the singing section heard the booing and we all started singing. I don't know if the players would have heard but I certainly know that if they did it would rile them up to go out and win a lot more than booing them will.

I said it last night but when a division 4 team plays a division 1 team their fans won't be complaining about their mistakes. They'll clap and encourage them. It makes a huge difference in the players mind which helps teams raise their game. I wish some fans would understand how much psychology plays a part in football and booing wasn't the right thing to do last night.

Stuttgart88
12/02/2009, 1:32 PM
I heard one guy say it was the ref being booed for his Andrews decision but if not it's moronic. However, we know that we've a moronic element in the support these days so no great surprise. Sometimes I think we should just go the whole hog and wear 3 Lions on our shirts.

Schumi
12/02/2009, 1:38 PM
I heard one guy say it was the ref being booed for his Andrews decision but if not it's moronic.That's what I thought it was about at the time. The disallowed goal wasn't too long before half time and I think there were a couple of fouls or dives from Georgia afterwards that kept people's annoyance levels up.

hunt4the
12/02/2009, 1:48 PM
ahhhh come on it happens everywhere, national teams have fickle fans thats a given, i booed for a second and then i thought again, why am i booing? its not going to give the team confidence. its just a reaction, we were losing 1-0 at home to georgia, a team you'd expect we would beat.

here here
i was the same just stopped short of booing them,
i definately felt people were booing the team and not the ref's decision
its not on, but you hear it at every game now regardless

pineapple stu
12/02/2009, 2:37 PM
That's what I thought it was about at the time. The disallowed goal wasn't too long before half time and I think there were a couple of fouls or dives from Georgia afterwards that kept people's annoyance levels up.
Disallowed goal was on 27 minutes I thought? Remember looking up to the scoreboard at the time.

Thought the booing was silly. Yes, you're entitled, blah blah blah, but after a bad start, we went about things the right way - patient, not panicking, creating chances and getting stronger as the half went on. Not good enough in our instant gratification culture, it seems.

drummerboy
12/02/2009, 2:42 PM
The people who booed at halftime last night should be ashamed of themselves. I could understand it towards the end of the Staunton but to do it last night considering the position we are in is shameless. They are to be compared with the typical trash tabloid readeres. Sheep

jbyrne
12/02/2009, 2:44 PM

and we did beat! some national teams have fans that riot too but we are above that. booing is pathetic

Red&White Rover
12/02/2009, 2:47 PM
I could to some degree understand the booing last night, but I think it's due to our pschye that we are world beaters. People don't realise, that Georgia are not a world away from us in terms of footballing standard.

irishultra
12/02/2009, 2:53 PM
not even in the top 100 in the world, i'd have to disagree with you there.

Red&White Rover
12/02/2009, 2:56 PM
Rankings are a load of ****e really though.

If we're so much better than them how come we've only beat them by a single goal in the last 2 times we've played them?

the doc
12/02/2009, 2:57 PM
To be honest I was booing as soon as the squad was announced! :D

Seriously you should always back your team during the game, then if youre still not happy voice it at the end.

tiktok
12/02/2009, 3:02 PM
I was surprised at the booing to be honest, I thought we'd shaded the first half and had every chance of getting back into it. Irish fans are a fickle shower anyway, it's hardly a surprise at this stage.

Docboy
12/02/2009, 3:31 PM
I was surprised at the booing to be honest, I thought we'd shaded the first half and had every chance of getting back into it. Irish fans are a fickle shower anyway, it's hardly a surprise at this stage.

In fairness it's only that percentage that are fickle, otherwise the rest of us wouldn't keep coming back like we do.

It was great to see McGeady blossoming like that, seems as if he's finally realising that he can cut it at this level.

tiktok
12/02/2009, 3:34 PM
In fairness it's only that percentage that are fickle, otherwise the rest of us wouldn't keep coming back like we do.

In fairness, 25,000 empty seats last night would suggest that the percentage of fickle fans is quite large.

eirebhoy
12/02/2009, 3:39 PM
In fairness, 25,000 empty seats last night would suggest that the percentage of fickle fans is quite large.
In fairness. 25,000 empty seats in our best run of form in ages. What does fickleness have to do with that? :) I could understand you saying that if you thought we were underachieving in this group.

pineapple stu
12/02/2009, 3:49 PM
It was only Georgia. That's how fickle they were.

antrimgreen
12/02/2009, 3:54 PM
I've no problem with instinctive things like a groan after a player does something stupid as many people can't help that but booing is a choice. It's ridiculous to boo the team at half time. I was delighted that the singing section heard the booing and we all started singing. I don't know if the players would have heard but I certainly know that if they did it would rile them up to go out and win a lot more than booing them will.

I said it last night but when a division 4 team plays a division 1 team their fans won't be complaining about their mistakes. They'll clap and encourage them. It makes a huge difference in the players mind which helps teams raise their game. I wish some fans would understand how much psychology plays a part in football and booing wasn't the right thing to do last night.

My first reaction when i heard the booing was to start singing for the team and not degrade them, they know themselves that 1-0 at home v Georgia is no classic and for those who say they were booing the decisions well that doesn't cut mustard the players are not mind readers. I remeber thinking i hope they heard the positive singing/shouting at the half time whistle.

NeilMcD
12/02/2009, 3:58 PM
Lads there was nearly 60,000 at the game that is not a bad attendance at all. . Joke booking Anybody that did it needs to have their brain removed..

zenokelly
12/02/2009, 4:05 PM
Lads there was nearly 60,000 at the game that is not a bad attendance at all. . Joke booking Anybody that did it needs to have their brain removed..

The scoreboard at half time definitely said 44,700 and something which was very disappointing.

NeilMcD
12/02/2009, 4:20 PM
The scoreboard at half time definitely said 44,700 and something which was very disappointing.

I do not belive the scoreboard then honestly there must have been 60,000 at the game. If there are 25,000 empty seats that leaves about 60,000 at the game. Also other than the Hill the only gaps I could see where the lower and upper Cusack on the Hill Side. Maybe I am wrong but there must have been more than 44,000 at the game last night. Are the FAI on a tax dodge.

Schumi
12/02/2009, 4:31 PM
I do not belive the scoreboard then honestly there must have been 60,000 at the game. If there are 25,000 empty seats that leaves about 60,000 at the game. Also other than the Hill the only gaps I could see where the lower and upper Cusack on the Hill Side. Maybe I am wrong but there must have been more than 44,000 at the game last night. Are the FAI on a tax dodge.There aren't anything close to 85,000 seats in Croker. The total GAA capacity is something like 82,000 including the standing area on the hill which must be at least 10,000. There were loads of spaces in every stand too. If the three stands were even three quarters full, I'd be surprised. From where I was, behind the goal at the Davin end, the singing section was strikingly obvious as the wedge of seats was completely full compared to the rest of the stand.

About 50,000 would have been my guess, I could believe 44,000 though

stiffler
12/02/2009, 4:55 PM
According to the irish news there where 65,000 in attendance.

zenokelly
12/02/2009, 5:33 PM
According to the irish news there where 65,000 in attendance.

That would have meant that every seat in the stadium was filled.

I would have felt that it was the lowest attendance of a football match in Croker bar the Serbia match so I would be inclined to take the scoreboard attendance as official.

I'd be expectin 20,000 more at the Bulgaria match due to event junkies and the fact it's a saturday.

eirebhoy
12/02/2009, 5:36 PM
Hogan and Cusack looked pretty full from the singing section.

Put it this way. There looked to be a lot more at last nights match than the Cyprus match under Stan. How many was supposed to be at that?

jmurphyc
12/02/2009, 5:39 PM

Put it this way. There looked to be a lot more at last nights match than the Cyprus match under Stan. How many was supposed to be at that?

I think it was between 50 and 55,000.

eirebhoy
12/02/2009, 5:44 PM
Although that match was sold in a bundle with the Germany one so maybe the FAI's attendance figure is for tickets sold...

Superhoops
12/02/2009, 5:57 PM

45500 was the official attendance at that Cyprus match. No way was there anywhere near 50000 at the game last night. The number of empty seats in all stands was evident. Also, huge sections of the Premium Level empty.

eirebhoy
12/02/2009, 6:04 PM
53,500 was the official attendance for the last competitive, Cyprus. That was sold in a package with Poland.

If there was less than that there last night I think we can look no further than the recession for the reason. There's no other reason.

tiktok
12/02/2009, 7:41 PM
In fairness. 25,000 empty seats in our best run of form in ages. What does fickleness have to do with that? :) I could understand you saying that if you thought we were underachieving in this group.

We are fickle, same as always, saving ourselves for the 'big games'.
All the event junkies will be back scrambling for Italy tickets, recession or not.
No way there was more than 50k there last night

jmurphyc
12/02/2009, 7:54 PM
No way there was more than 50k there last night

I'm not so sure. Ten minutes before the game it looked very empty, but about 10 minutes into the game it looked like the vast majority of seats were filled. I agree with the first sentence though.

Colie
12/02/2009, 8:03 PM
They weren't booing the ref I can tell you that. A few lads in front of me were booing around the 40th minute. I told them to shut up & got told to f off & go stand somewhere else! Then they started abusing the players with "useless donkeys" & the like. Total shams these lads. I don't know why they go. I don't get the "I paid my hard earned" argument coz it's not like people are being forced to go.

The boo boys aren't supporters, more spectators. I think if they want a spectacle they should go to the circus coz watching Ireland is a hard slog, something us fans can handle. As a steward said to me at half time; "I think some of them have been watching too much Man United".

eirebhoy
12/02/2009, 8:13 PM
All the event junkies will be back scrambling for Italy tickets, recession or not.
But it's international football so we can't really tell who's a football fan and who's there for the event. If a match was hyped up enough I'm sure I could get my ma to go.

"No way there was more than 50k there last night "

I thought the Cyprus match under Stan had pockets of empty seats all over the place. I really didn't see many last night but maybe the view was poor from lower Davin. I much rather the view of the pitch from the very top corner. You could see it all. But the singing sections obviously not going to be up there. :)

francesco_1
13/02/2009, 12:32 AM
Sure wouldnt most of the fella's doing the booing have their mouths to full with hot dogs as they would of left before the whistle

Schumi
13/02/2009, 9:35 AM
"No way there was more than 50k there last night "

I thought the Cyprus match under Stan had pockets of empty seats all over the place.Thought it looked about the same on Wednesday tbh.

eirebhoy
13/02/2009, 9:40 AM
Thought it looked about the same on Wednesday tbh.
Yeh Delaney confirmed the figure was 44,000 so there must have been. I'm going blind obviously. :)

Junior
13/02/2009, 12:02 PM
I do not belive the scoreboard then honestly there must have been 60,000 at the game. If there are 25,000 empty seats that leaves about 60,000 at the game. Also other than the Hill the only gaps I could see where the lower and upper Cusack on the Hill Side. Maybe I am wrong but there must have been more than 44,000 at the game last night. Are the FAI on a tax dodge.

Disagree, I seen 50k in the paper the next day and thought there was never 50k there.....

Colie
14/02/2009, 9:12 AM
Lads, it seems that we're pretty much all in agreement; the boo boys have no place at the matches. Why don't we come together & try & shame this crowd into shutting up. I told a lad to shut up after he started booing around the 40th minute & was told to f off & go stand somewhere else. He then went on to call the Boys useless donkeys! If about 10 of us all told him he should be ashamed of himself he might have shut up. I propose that if we hear someone booing we all turn around & tell them to give over. Strength in numbers ye know. If we back each other up we can shame them & shut them up. Is anyone with me? I'll be telling them to shut up anyway but a bit of backup would certainly help. I think now that we'll probably all be standing together will deffo help. Lets shame these bloody spectators back to their barstools.

stojkovic
14/02/2009, 8:25 PM
On numerous ocassions I have shouted abuse at the players. Its fustration. Sometimes you feel embarrassed afterwards.

But I have never booed at half-time or full-time.
I have never booed a Rangers player. Even the wrong one :D
I have never left before the final whistle - I saw Finnans goal against Cyprus.
I have attended every game that I had a ticket for. Pretty much every home game since 1979. And about 15 away trips.
I didnt sing 'Keano' at McCarthys last game eventhough I was in the Keane 'camp'.

So back to my first point, am I allowed the odd outburst ?

NeilMcD
15/02/2009, 12:27 PM
Great article in today Sunday Indo by Sweeney.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/boo-boys-let-the-side-down-1640642.html

Beavis
15/02/2009, 1:34 PM
That's quality, thanks for posting it Neil.
I think it expresses persuasively how many of us feel.

'the Man Who Paid Good Money For This is one of the curses of modern Ireland' :D

Stuttgart88
15/02/2009, 3:31 PM
Hear hear

Pity he didn't point some ire at his colleagues too.

Lionel Ritchie
15/02/2009, 4:41 PM
Interesting article.

Incidently I don't have a problem with people booing if it's appropriate to boo. A chorus of boos became a much needed final nail in the coffin of Stans reign of horror and people who booed back then did Irish football some service.

But half time on Wednesday was absurd. We were all over Georgia like a rash in the first half and had about 60% of posession. We had some frailties and sloppiness for sure but hardly the the stuff of gross maladministation that legitimised, in my opinion, booing during Stans tenure.

Stuttgart88
15/02/2009, 6:21 PM
I'd love to know what the booers were thinking after 37 minutes of the rugby today, if they were watching. Will The Indo be insisting that Ireland's back row was obliterated, that Kidney ends Geordan Murphy's exile and give Luke Fitzgerald 5/10?

elroy
16/02/2009, 8:29 AM
Incidently I don't have a problem with people booing if it's appropriate to boo. A chorus of boos became a much needed final nail in the coffin of Stans reign of horror and people who booed back then did Irish football some service.

Agreed the only time i ever booed an Irish team was at the end of the Cyprus game and that was as a result of sheer frustration at the Stan regime which saw us on a downward spiral at a frightening pace.

There was no call for the booing the other night and excuses such as they were booing the ref is rubbish. Probably only coming out with that now cos Ireland turned it around. The same langers were probably abusing Keane for the first 70 mins of the game. Im surprised the same people didnt realise a former Rangers player was on the pitch, great opportunity missed for them there.

shakermaker1982
16/02/2009, 11:32 AM
I've never booed the team. I even restrained myself after the two Cyprus debacles - I'll mutter plenty of swear words but after a poor performance I'm so drained and bewildered I'd rather be having a pint and calculating whether it's still mathematically possible to qualify. As long as the players are trying I'm content.

I had a feeling we'd do ok in the second half and have faith in the Trap. Patience is key for this campaign - we're managed by an Italian so cannot expect helter skelter stuff at every opportunity.

People moaning about paying 50/70 euro's for a ticket should think about the poor loons who come back for every home game (UK and further afield)!!! A nights stay in Dublin + flights + 16 pints = a flight to New York.

SuperDave
16/02/2009, 3:48 PM
I've never booed the team. I even restrained myself after the two Cyprus debacles - I'll mutter plenty of swear words but after a poor performance I'm so drained and bewildered I'd rather be having a pint and calculating whether it's still mathematically possible to qualify. As long as the players are trying I'm content.

I had a feeling we'd do ok in the second half and have faith in the Trap. Patience is key for this campaign - we're managed by an Italian so cannot expect helter skelter stuff at every opportunity.

People moaning about paying 50/70 euro's for a ticket should think about the poor loons who come back for every home game (UK and further afield)!!! A nights stay in Dublin + flights + 16 pints = a flight to New York.

Or South Africa, for that matter.

Colie
24/02/2009, 6:29 PM
So back to my first point, am I allowed the odd outburst ?No chance Stojkovic.

Great article in today Sunday Indo by Sweeney. http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/boo-boys-let-the-side-down-1640642.html Perfection. Thanks Neil. That's coming on the trips for to be read aloud.