PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Clubs ?

citybone
11/02/2009, 10:23 PM
i know in the main thread there is talk of certain clubs considering joining the a championship,
im looking at the bigger populated towns with no loi clubs and possible clubs there and with little competition from other league clubs nearby
navan with a population of 24,851 (Navan Cosmos f.c or Park Villa F.C?)

ennis with a population of 24,253 (i cant find out much about clubs in ennis)

tralee with a population (they have a club applying as far as i know)

Killkenny with a population 22,179 (i know killkenny city dropped out but they should be capable of a championship standard)

carlow with a population of 20,724 (they are applying also)

mullingar with a population of 18,416 (mullingar athletic have a very good set up as it is, but no intention as yet of applying as far as i know)

clonmel with a population of 17,008 (they tried before?)

portlaoise (thinking about applying?)

killearney has a population of 14,603 (killearney celtic have good facilities)

Sheridan
11/02/2009, 10:26 PM
ennis with a population of 24,253 (i cant find out much about clubs in ennis)
Lifford were in the Under-21 league a couple of years ago.

gufc2000
11/02/2009, 10:34 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea in having Killlarney yet as Tralee are just after joining.

Carlow, Castlebar, Tullamore, Kildare, Salthill already there

I think towns like Ennis, Kilkenny, Navan, Mullingar, Portlaoise are all big regional towns and they should be represented

But things have looked more positive compared to this time last year, more interest this time round which is good

citybone
11/02/2009, 11:01 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea in having Killlarney yet as Tralee are just after joining.

Carlow, Castlebar, Tullamore, Kildare, Salthill already there

I think towns like Ennis, Kilkenny, Navan, Mullingar, Portlaoise are all big regional towns and they should be represented

But things have looked more positive compared to this time last year, more interest this time round which is good

i dont see your point? kilkenny have a ground more than good enough ground and should have a good squad considering they were a league club not long ago and u21 squad would help fill a few more players. more club teams in the a championship the better

first i heard of castlebar but they seem to be developing good facilities alright

TheBoss
12/02/2009, 12:18 AM
I think we are someway far from a team from Navan entering, Claremount Stadium (http://community.meath.ie/claremontstadium/images/stories/aerial.jpg) (I live 2 mins from it) is the only real football pitch even though it is used for Athletics. There needs to be a vast improvement in facilites and underage setup, I can not recall a Ireland youth player that was coached by a Navan team.

citybone
12/02/2009, 1:16 PM
I think we are someway far from a team from Navan entering, Claremount Stadium (http://community.meath.ie/claremontstadium/images/stories/aerial.jpg) (I live 2 mins from it) is the only real football pitch even though it is used for Athletics. There needs to be a vast improvement in facilites and underage setup, I can not recall a Ireland youth player that was coached by a Navan team.

nice track in fairness, better off building a new ground on a different location aswell as youth facilities, its a same a town that big doesnt have a decent football club

gufc2000
12/02/2009, 4:29 PM
i dont see your point? kilkenny have a ground more than good enough ground and should have a good squad considering they were a league club not long ago and u21 squad would help fill a few more players. more club teams in the a championship the better

first i heard of castlebar but they seem to be developing good facilities alright

I said Kilkenny should be joining, I said its KILLARNEY who shouldn't

citybone
12/02/2009, 5:04 PM
I said Kilkenny should be joining, I said its KILLARNEY who shouldn't

sorry but imagine a kerry soccer derby:D killearney is a fair distance from tralee so wont take from its support and has a big population with good facilities.

gufc2000
12/02/2009, 5:05 PM
Possibly. I would like to see representatives from Meath, Mullingar and Portlaoise joining first

Raheen
13/02/2009, 10:13 PM

When was the last time a Meath team made any progress in the national cups? The standard of footall in Navan is low compared to other similarly sized towns around the country. The Park Villa set-up is poor enough although the MDL facilities out the road have potential. Any Navan kid with talent hops on a bus to Dublin. Ratoath are probably the best equipped Meath team but their base is basically an extension of Dublin, likewise Dunboyne.

TheBoss
14/02/2009, 1:36 AM
When was the last time a Meath team made any progress in the national cups? The standard of footall in Navan is low compared to other similarly sized towns around the country. The Park Villa set-up is poor enough although the MDL facilities out the road have potential. Any Navan kid with talent hops on a bus to Dublin. Ratoath are probably the best equipped Meath team but their base is basically an extension of Dublin, likewise Dunboyne.

I remember Navan Cosmos got to the last 32 of FAI Juinior Cup last season - 07/08

I think you summed it up nicely there.

as for navan,there are a god few drogs in there,and its quite near drogheda aswell so let them support drogheda.

You think that, the town is full of Celtic, Man United and Liverpool fans everywhere you look :D

TheBoss
14/02/2009, 2:36 PM
I have never met a Drog living here, I am sure there is a few.

kingdomkerry
14/02/2009, 5:24 PM
Killarney Celtic have good facilities.
Killarney Athletic have very good facilities also.

christo
14/02/2009, 10:04 PM
I have never met a Drog living here, I am sure there is a few.

I know of 1 anyway

ShnaeGuevara715
16/02/2009, 12:02 PM
So its agreed. Meath shant be let in :D lol

Someone obviously just googled list of biggest towns. Wonder if they saw Celbridge which was on track to get to 30k people in near future. Maynooth, Leixlip, Kilcock, Lucan, Adamstown other places on edge of West Dublin, all massive young towns. Not to mention the Dublinese bit of South Meath like Ashbourne. North Kildare or Maynooth University could well support a team with a close enough well connected catchment area of 150k+. Including the excellent schoolboy Salesians College, regularly getting to the latter stages of the Junior, Senior cups. Ballyoulster, Celbridge Town, Leixlip United.

Kildare County unfortunately do not have any control on the football demos up here. North Kildare teams aren't even in the same league district.

Little off-topic but related; so far only 2 Championship winning Celbridge lads have gotten onto the Kildare panel. McGrillen and O'Sullivan as far as I know, McGrillen has been given a chance, but O'Sullivan the top scorer in the county and winner isnt getting a chance. South Kildare run the county like the mafia! Politics!