PDA

View Full Version : Euro Champs 2004?

Coltron
24/11/2003, 7:38 PM
Well were not in it any more, so whoose countrys captain will be liftin the trophy come next summer, all opinions welcome, (yes even yours SEJ)?

France are the clear favorites accordin the b**kie$ but is that justified?. An argument can be made aginst them and I dont fancy them personally. (I know its early but I believe that you should be able to know along way off the first game). Questions over Barthez for one and the central defence needs to be looked at seriously. Whether they have the hunger of others team is also questionable. I dont know a great deal about there manager, I know he managed alot in France and probably won a league title or two with Lyon or someone but has he got the where-with-all to hack at international level. There win against Germany might dismiss alot of my questions you might say, but they havent really been tested so far. I say alot of their squad players in the Confederations Cup and for the most part they didnt really impress. That can probably be said for the majority of the team but no stone should go unturned.

A quick glance at the cream of crop from the posse gatherin speed in the background might show Italy, Czech Rep, Holland, Portugal, Germany and dare I say it England.

Although I dont believe Holland, Portugal or Germany will win, but readers of my previous post will show why I put them in. Early opinions anyone?
:D

tetsujin1979
25/11/2003, 2:17 PM
Got to be France, they ran away with their group, have 2 of the best strikers in Europe in Henry and Trezeguet, one of the best midfielders in the Premiership in Vieira, one of the best players in the wold in Zidane, and on top of that they're going to be looking to prove something after the shambles in the World Cup last year, I do agree with you on the defence looking dodgy alright, but you'll always fancy them to score more than they concede in a Newcastle under Kevin Keegan style (albeit with a better defence).
Think Germany aren't going to perform that well, Scotland did hold them to a draw at Hampden, ditto Holland. Spain have a long and distinguished history of falling apart in the later stages of tournaments and finished second in the qualifying, the Czechs looked strong in their group, you'd fancy Portugal to do well at home, but I can't see them getting beyond the quarters.
As for England, Sven's only lost one competitive game (against the Brazil) and they kept the Turks out of the tournament, but I still can't see them winning the thing, left side is too weak and doubts about the keeper.

Shed End John
25/11/2003, 4:40 PM
Originally posted by Coltron
Well were not in it any more, so whoose countrys captain will be liftin the trophy come next summer, all opinions welcome, (yes even yours SEJ)?
Early opinions anyone?

Very funny.:) But, seeing as you asked, I'm hardly going to turn my nose at the opportunity to get in my tuppence (two cent??) worth.
France as defending champions MUST be given a chance. Holland have more than enough in their armoury to win it........if only they'd stop constantly fighting amongst themselves (highly unlikely, it must be said). Czechs might do it if they have the self-belief, and all the evidence so far says they have. Portugal as host nation won't be a mile off. But, my choice to win it........Italy. Very well balanced from defence to attack, lethal finishers, and as always, some of the best defenders in the tournament. Plus they're keeping a suspiciously low profile, not showing their hand too early etc. Forza i Azzuri!!

Coltron
26/11/2003, 12:37 PM
France did walk their group but was their an easier one, its easy to look good against that sort of opposition with the quality they have and in some respects might paper over the cracks. When you consider that in March last year the Czechs went to the stade de France and won 2-0. Ive heard the argument that Henry and Trezeag..(cant spell) arent suited to playin in the same team, maybe that myth was dispelled against Germany? Its hard to say.

Italy are my current choice aswell, theytoo did beat Germany away,but they have a weak left side too, playin Zambrotta at left back in a 4-2-3-1 formation will leave him exposed if they dont find a more natural left back. That formation is slightly worring too, it has a look of rigidity to it, altough Trap would argue that they can easily revert to a 4-4-2, I hope hes right because as Argentina and to a lesser extent England showed in the WC one game plan is not enough and they suffered as a result. Czech Rep are still abit of an unkown quantity to me but they are the form team since the WC, Czech Rep 4 Turkey 0 is a case in point.

No team stands out to me so far and il wait to the groups are announced (sunday I think) before I start gradually unloadin my life saving into the bookies, however Im slowly makin a decent case for the crowd across the water. :eek:

Coltron
01/12/2003, 9:58 AM
We now know the groups and they are:

Group 1

Portugal Q1
Greece
Spain Q2
Russia

Group 2

France Q1
England Q2
Croatia
Switzerland

Group 3

Sweeden
Italy Q1
Denmark Q2
Bulgaria

Group 4

Czech Rep Q1
Holland
Germany Q2
Latvia

Italy to reign supreme!!??

NigeSausagepump
01/12/2003, 10:15 AM
My money's on the Italians too. I think that of the favourites, they and the French got the most favourable draws in the groups. You really struggle to see how Italy and France wouldn't come out of their pools. The one advantage the French have in my book is that the will play a team from Group 1 in the quarters should they advance, and I'm not sure that the potential top two in Group 1 (Portugal & Spain) are as strong as the potential top two in Group 4 (Czech Rep, Holland, Germany) who Italy would be facing. Another France-Italy final would be a mouthwatering prospect though.

Dark horses would be the Czechs - they always play more than the sum of their parts and Nedved is just looking sublime at the moment.

As for England, just can't see them doing it. They should get past a very ordinary Swiss team and pip Croatia to get out of their group, but for me too many of their starting 11 are ordinary (esp James, G Neville, Ferdinand, A Cole, Butt, Heskey). An outside bet for the quarters, but that'd be it.

Junior
01/12/2003, 12:06 PM
Does anyone who was successful for the 'Follow Your Team Tickets' know when the refund will be issued by Uefa?

Also, the inlaws (English) are heading over to Portugal for a couple of weeks, next year. Last week there were still some tickets available for a few games, so I managed to book them tickets for 2 games in Lisbon.

After the draw at the weekend, one of the games has turned out to be England v France, boy am I in the good books now !!!!!!:p

jofyisgod
02/12/2003, 5:59 PM
France are obviously up there, but Italy are no slouches, and, as hosts, Portugal will expect to do well. Don't undersetimate them-weather will suit their play, and they have many a good youngster who could run all day.

Pretty open tournament really, which is good.

Coltron
02/12/2003, 9:06 PM
I dont really buy that about Portugal, as host nation they will probably fulfill there obligation and qualifly first from the group but no more, the defence is shaky and I m young and can run all day but that doesnt mean I'd do any good for Ireland, then again, nah were not that bad, but you see my point. You generally need an experienced lot to do well internationally. Everything good has been said to the death about France but there is weaknesses too just like everyother nation, but a Zindine pass might make you forget that, which is understandable but I remain unconvinced over Les Bleus, however each to there own and all that.:)