PDA

View Full Version : Players

Frank76
10/02/2009, 8:03 PM
Hey,

Daithi Garry, John McGuinness, Robert Douglas and Jason Oladele are training with us at the minute. I think all 4 played with yous last season. Any info on them?

Longfordian
10/02/2009, 8:11 PM
The latter two are decent enough young players though Douglas is by all accounts one of those young fellas who hasn't the best of attitudes to training etc. They're both wide players or strikers. Oladele has potential alright, wouldn't have minded keeping him he's still weak enough, but he may be developed as he's only 19 or 20 I think. Garry played right back for a while but while he works hard he's pretty limited going forward and has no real pace which is a big drawback for a full back. McGuinness I've only seen in one or two games but he's a really small keeper who didn't cover himself in glory in any game, friendly or competitive, let in 5 against Monaghan in his only league start and didn't impress in friendlies either. I think he's on the Tallaght IT team though and was on Bohs' books so maybe he's better than he showed for us. I'd still say he's too small though.

Frank76
10/02/2009, 8:13 PM
Could of said that about Digger when he was with ye!!!:D

Thanks for the info!!

Longfordian
10/02/2009, 8:20 PM
True Frank, but I'd be prepared to back my judgment on this lad being no Digger!. Nowhere near the same spring or quickness off and across his line!

Rocky77
10/02/2009, 9:03 PM
Hey,

Daithi Garry, John McGuinness, Robert Douglas and Jason Oladele are training with us at the minute. I think all 4 played with yous last season. Any info on them?

No it's Onwubiko from Bray. Jason is currently in Scotland training with Dundee United.

sligoman
10/02/2009, 9:16 PM
Thought Emelka was training with ye?

Frank76
10/02/2009, 9:32 PM
No I'm nearly sure it was Oladele. They were calling him Ola at training tonight so am guessing its him. We have a few others training with us as well. Rushe is apparently coming back to us but he wasn't there tonight and also Robbie Farrell who was linked to ye but he wasn't there either.

Longfordian
10/02/2009, 9:55 PM
Onwubiko was rumoured to be training with LTFC but there's been no talk of that lately. Didn't see much in Oladele that would suggest he'd make it at Dundee United but he could be a half decent League Of Ireland player. Isn't Athlone's budget €1300 a week or something?. Ours is small but it's bigger than that as far as I'm aware. Robbie Farrell is decent but if resources are that tight I wouldn't be wasting much on him with a lot of others needed. Same applies to ourselves if he doesn't fit what's affordable I wouldn't be too bothered.

Rocky77
10/02/2009, 11:54 PM
I'd stake my reputation on it not being Jason. I personally think he has bags of ability and could make it over there. I think we would have seen more of him if Aaron had stayed and Vinny's style wasn't always tailored to his strengths.

27/7 365
11/02/2009, 9:20 PM
jason is a poor player..

The Lilywhites
12/02/2009, 8:39 PM
Robbie Farrell is decent but if resources are that tight I wouldn't be wasting much on him with a lot of others needed.

Farrell isn't Longford or Athlone bound, as far as I know.

Martinho II
13/02/2009, 8:18 PM
see on another thread on foot.ie that ex sligo rovers and athlone town defender jim sheridan is training with us wonder will he play tommorrow??

Frank76
14/02/2009, 9:03 PM
Looks like we're switching teams from last year!!! There's 2 more on trial with us that played with you last season at some point.

Colin Murray and Dean Barrett. Murray seems to be a decent defender. How did they do with you last season? We're slowly gettin a team together. A lot of players are coming through from the youths and local leagues so guess Place is trying to get a few players in with League experience.

Longfordian
14/02/2009, 9:08 PM
Both were let go in July last year. Murray is alright, not great really at league level though he is young, played for Kildare after us. Barrett isn't up to it at all, he never remotely looked like scoring in his games for us.

Martinho II
15/02/2009, 6:54 PM
Both were let go in July last year. Murray is alright, not great really at league level though he is young, played for Kildare after us. Barrett isn't up to it at all, he never remotely looked like scoring in his games for us.

reiterate the point made by longfordian the footbaling genes werent passed onto him unlike his brother shane who was top class for us..

RockofGibraltar
15/02/2009, 11:14 PM
reiterate the point made by longfordian the footbaling genes werent passed onto him unlike his brother shane who was top class for us..

yea in fairness that dean barett lad was useless..had a big afro head on him thats the only way ud know he was even playing