PDA

View Full Version : For Sale................

Shed End John
24/11/2003, 2:22 PM
Sundrenched tropical islands, lots of women, no Englishmen, English newspapers or English-based TV channels, may be of use to Irish rugby fans. Contact: your nearest Australian embassy!!

An advert like this is probably WAY too much to hope for after Saturday (England 20-17 Australia; as if we need reminding). Still though, Christmas IS coming soon, so you never know.:)

gustavo
24/11/2003, 2:59 PM
in fairness if we had won the world cup we would be going on about it too!

Shed End John
25/11/2003, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
in fairness if we had won the world cup we would be going on about it too!

Of course we would.................for a relatively brief and realistic amount of time. Following on from 1966, this one's going to be enough to keep the English talking about it until some time around 2053.

Ruairi
25/11/2003, 4:18 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
for a relatively brief and realistic amount of time.

Sure we would ......:D

Shed End John
25/11/2003, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
Sure we would ......:D

How are you, Ruairi? Note the use of the word 'relatively'. Relative to us might be 6-12 months, after that life would settle back into normality. As I've already pointed out, though, the flagwaving English are something else entirely.

gustavo
25/11/2003, 6:30 PM
well presumably the englishneither know nor care that the irish are so up to speed with their popular culture they are hardly gonna think "actually chaps lets tone down those celebrations it seems the irish are getting a bit miffed about it"

shedite
26/11/2003, 8:50 AM
How are you, Ruairi? Note the use of the word 'relatively'. Relative to us might be 6-12 months, after that life would settle back into normality. As I've already pointed out, though, the flagwaving English are something else entirely.

Are you taking the ****? We're still talking about Bonner's save in 90 and Beating the English in 88. We'd never stop going on about it. Get over it. They're the best of a sport that has about 7 teams. Well done lads! We won the world cup in golf a few years back. There were more countries involved in that!

James
26/11/2003, 9:08 AM
exactly shedite
and still going on about the eggchasing win in 78 for munsterrrrr
the denis taylor final in 85 in snooker
eamonn coughlans win in the world championships
not to mention all the soccer examples

every time one of those sports is on tv ... all the old sucess's are trotted out again
not saying its wrong but just that we do it just like the english youre complaining about.

Colm
26/11/2003, 5:18 PM

Ahem, take a look at your sig John! That was just one silly little "game" and you're still going on about it a year later!:)

To be honest, I don't think the English are going on about it that much. It's being overshadowed by the wall to wall football coverage on tv, in the papers etc. I honestly think the press would make a far bigger deal out of it if it was us.

patsh
27/11/2003, 1:08 PM
The Americans have the bizarre system where they call the teams that win national titles, "World Champions" - American "football", baseball, basketball etc.
Why are ruggers buggers almost aping this carry on with their claims that they have a "World Championship" ?
:confused: :rolleyes:

Schumi
27/11/2003, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by patsh
The Americans have the bizarre system where they call the teams that win national titles, "World Champions" - American "football", baseball, basketball etc. No they don't. The baseball championships are called The World Series after 'The World' newspaper which sponsored it when it started.

shedite
27/11/2003, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
No they don't. The baseball championships are called The World Series after 'The World' newspaper which sponsored it when it started.

On a seperate note, Baseball will be an olympic sport for the first time next summer in Athens and Mexico knocked out USA in the qualification. Nobody wanted to know, did they? :rolleyes:

patsh
27/11/2003, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
No they don't. The baseball championships are called The World Series after 'The World' newspaper which sponsored it when it started.
Yes they do.
I didn't refer to the World Series. I said that teams that win their national championships call themselves "World Champions" and they do. After the superbowl, the NBA finals or the World Series, the team that wins claims that they are the world champions of that particular sport.