PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Season comming to an end.

Estar
24/11/2003, 11:00 AM
DUBLIN clubs are just one more league title away from equalling the last period of total dominance by the capital's teams.

Almost half-a-century ago Shels, Shamrock Rovers, St Patrick's Athletic and Drumcondra won eight titles between them from 1952 to 1959.

Shelbourne's success this season is the seventh successive championship pennant won by Dublin sides, with Shels winning three, Bohemians capturing two and St Pat's taking two.

With the possibility of six Dublin teams in the Premier Division next season, the odds on the title remaining by the banks of the Liffey are extremely short.

Over the past seven years the Dublin clubs have raised the bar in terms of the approach to the game with the emphasis on full-time professionalism. St Pat's set the ball rolling with back-to-back titles in 1998 and 1999 under Pat Dolan and Liam Buckley, who coached their players to have a disciplined approach to the game.

The baton was then picked up by Shelbourne and Bohemians and since 2000 the title has alternated between Drumcondra and Phibsbrough.

Longford manager Alan Matthews, who led the Midlands club to the FAI Cup last month, believes the gap between the top two and the rest will remain until either they slip or the others start matching their massive investments in players.

"They are operating on three times the budget we have and it's a bit like the shopkeeper on the corner trying to compete with Tesco and Superquinn.

"We can't compete with them for the top players," he said.

"One player is said to be on €80,000 a year which is what one Irish League club reckon will see them through this season," said Matthews.

The Longford boss agrees that the dominance of the big two is such that there is a danger of them commanding the Eircom League similar to the title monoply of Old Firm rivals Rangers and Celtic in Scotland.

And Matthews fears that, if either Bohs or Shels fail to keep pumping the money in and slip off the pace, the other could end up with a stranglehold similar to Rosenborg in Norway, who recently captured their 12th successive title.

Longford are on course for a top five finish this season and, having won the FAI Cup and finished as runners-up to St Patrick's Athletic in the League Cup, Matthews knows what the next step must be.

"We would like to get ourselves into the position where we can start challenging to be the best of the chasing group.

"It's a great challenge to be knocking on the door and become viable challengers to the big two. We can't afford to go full-time but we are trying to encourage players to go to college and play football at the same time," said Matthews.

The Longford boss spent four years at Tolka Park as assistant to Dermot Keely and saw at first hand the effort that goes into turning a club into league champions.

"They are a great club and I am delighted that they won it," he added.

"While Pat Fenlon, the players and Ollie Byrne front the operation there are a lot of people working hard in the background to make it all happen and I am glad they got their reward."

Bohemians boss Stephen Kenny, who has finished first and second in his two full seasons in charge at Dalymount, does not believe that next season's title race will be a two-horse race.

"I think there will be more challengers. Obviously you have Cork, Pat's and Rovers but I expect Longford and possibly Drogheda to put in a big effort also," said Kenny.

His Shels counterpart Pat Fenlon also believes that it is not doom and gloom for the provincial clubs.

"I think Cork, because of the base they have, will always have the potential to challenge.

"Hopefully, next season won't be dominated by the Dublin clubs but it costs money and great credit to Waterford and Longford for what they achieved this season."

Although the Premier Division title has now been decided there are still some outstanding issues to be thrashed out in the final week.

Cork City need one more win to tie up third-place for the Inter Toto Cup spot but the big battle is at the bottom where Derry City and UCD are fighting to avoid the drop.

Wins from their final two games against Bohemians and Waterford United will keep Derry up. However, defeat tomorrow night against the Gypsies will give the advantage back to the College.

In the First Division, the automatic promotion place and the championship will be decided on Saturday night when Dublin City meet Bray Wanderers in a top of the table clash.

John Gill's side need just a draw to clinch a place in the Premier Division, while Kildare must win their last two games to deny Limerick a place in the play-offs.

The League's sharpshooters will also be gunning for goals in the final week. Shelbourne's Jason Byrne holds a one-goal advantage over Glen Crowe, while one more goal will hand Galway's Alan Murphy the First Division award as Bray's Eamonn Zayed is with Ireland U-20's at the World Youth Cup finals in the United Arab Emirates.

Bosco
24/11/2003, 9:54 PM
Originally posted by Estar

Bohemians boss Stephen Kenny, who has finished first and second in his two full seasons in charge at Dalymount, does not believe that next season's title race will be a two-horse race.

"I think there will be more challengers. Obviously you have Cork, Pat's and Rovers but I expect Longford and possibly Drogheda to put in a big effort also," said Kenny.

Drogheda????????????:confused: :confused:

yur man
24/11/2003, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Bosco
Drogheda????????????:confused: :confused:

the white coats are on the way for kenny ;)

Estar
24/11/2003, 11:48 PM
Are Drogheda going full time pro next year?:ball:

John83
25/11/2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Estar
Are Drogheda going full time pro next year?:ball:

I didn't think they could afford it. Anyone know for sure?

Macy
25/11/2003, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by John83
I didn't think they could afford it. Anyone know for sure?
I'm sure they can't, but when has that ever stopped them? :D

Macy
25/11/2003, 1:22 PM
From what I've heard, the perception is that it doesn't cost clubs as much as you think to go full time, as they get the whole tax credits to play with.... The figures we hear about are net of tax, apparently, for part time players (so are in effect only 60%ish of what the clubs are paying).

But, if it was that easy, why are the clubs that have gone full time (and even ones with a few fully pro players) so fúcked financially?

Personally, I think the wages have to go up far more significantly that people would think. The whole tax credit theory is just that - a theory. If a player has a half decent job, and is getting say €500 (nett) on top of that for being a semi-pro footballer, you'd have to match the combined salary plus a bit more and thus pay way over the odds (and what the clubs can afford) to tempt players to go full time....