PDA

View Full Version : Scolari sacked!

WoodquayBoy
09/02/2009, 3:25 PM
Just on radio there that Scolari has been given the boot from Chelsea, bad day for managers after Tony Adams got the boot this morning

osarusan
09/02/2009, 3:28 PM
Yep!

From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7879638.stm)

Luiz Filipe Scolari has been sacked as manager of Chelsea.

A statement on the club's website revealed the move had been made "to maintain a challenge for the trophies we are still competing for".

Scolari, who led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup, was appointed last summer as the replacement for Avram Grant.

DeLorean
09/02/2009, 3:41 PM
Strange one. To be fair they have looked a different team under him. Leaking goals and looking very ordinary. Having said that Carvalho and Terry have hardly played together and Essien has been a massive loss.

old git
09/02/2009, 3:50 PM
Strange one. To be fair they have looked a different team under him. Leaking goals and looking very ordinary. Having said that Carvalho and Terry have hardly played together and Essien has been a massive loss.

still in champions league / f.a. cup & outside chance of winning league ... 1281 no wonder he looked so happy..
you forgot to mention drogba running around most of season looking like he did not want to be there ..:D

DeLorean
09/02/2009, 4:08 PM
still in champions league / f.a. cup & outside chance of winning league ... no wonder he looked so happy..
you forgot to mention drogba running around most of season looking like he did not want to be there ..:D

Still in Champions Lge but hardly impressive finishing 2nd to a poor Roma team. Still in FA Cup but not very good there either needing a replay against Southend. Absolutely no chance of PL imo. Completely agree about Drogba.

Sligo Hornet
10/02/2009, 6:37 AM
Still in Champions Lge but hardly impressive finishing 2nd to a poor Roma team. Still in FA Cup but not very good there either needing a replay against Southend. Absolutely no chance of PL imo. Completely agree about Drogba.

Not after Saturday evening when there dumped out by the mighty (well woeful, actually) Hornets!!;)

Pike B
10/02/2009, 9:53 AM
Disgraceful the way a manager with his record can be treated. Abramovich is ruthless. Big mistake this. Chelsea to finish 4th..

bennocelt
10/02/2009, 1:19 PM
Disgraceful the way a manager with his record can be treated. Abramovich is ruthless. Big mistake this. Chelsea to finish 4th..

No dont think so - knew it wouldnt work out (albeit I was surprised at the good start chelsea made). he is a cup manager, and if you have watched the last Euros you might of noticed a coach with a lot to learn about defence

now hope they go for Zola, di Matteo, or Riykaard - and look forward to more comedy managemment or mismanagment

Pike B
10/02/2009, 2:16 PM
No dont think so - knew it wouldnt work out (albeit I was surprised at the good start chelsea made). he is a cup manager, and if you have watched the last Euros you might of noticed a coach with a lot to learn about defence

now hope they go for Zola, di Matteo, or Riykaard - and look forward to more comedy managemment or mismanagment
A World Cup winner. A European Championships Finalist. A South American legendry coach.
Ya, your right, he's rubbish...
Get a grip..

Olander
10/02/2009, 2:27 PM
A World Cup winner. A European Championships Finalist. A South American legendry coach.
Get a grip..
table never lies "..."

kingdom hoop
10/02/2009, 2:49 PM
table never lies "..."

Of course tables don't lie - they stand on their legs! :D

Sligo Hornet
10/02/2009, 7:16 PM
Of course tables don't lie - they stand on their legs! :D

Oh Dear........poor kingdom has forgotten to take his medication again!:D

superfrank
10/02/2009, 7:53 PM
Ridiculous decision to sack him.

Chelsea will be stuck in a rut, relying on the players for the next few years if they keep sacking managers anytime the going get's tough. It'll be Florentino Perez's Real Madrid/Vladimir Romanov's Hearts all over again.

Stability is the key (I say this every time Chelsea sack a manager). Look at Arsenal, Man U, and even, to a lesser extent, Liverpool. All managers have been given time to build their squads at those clubs. Ferguson went four years without winning the league, Wenger has gone nearly four now but neither have been sacked. Benitez had instant success in the CL then went back to struggling but even he's been given time and, finally, they're challenging for the title.

Chelsea are not going to get relegated. Worst case scenario they only qualify for the UEFA next year but Bayern and Milan have played in the UEFA in recent years so there's no shame in it. Scolari tried to change the team's philosophy and it was always going to take time to do that, especially after the switch from Mourinho and Grant's efficient teams to a more attacking approach by Scolari. They weren't complaining when they were winning 5-0 at Boro.

The league this year is a bit tougher for the top teams. Man U are invincible at the moment, Liverpool look like genuine contenders for once while Villa are offering a different threat to the big 4. Chelsea and Arsenal are under threat but the knee-jerk reaction will only make things worse imo.

At this stage, they might as well appoint Gabbo seen as whoever takes the job will be Roman's puppet.

bennocelt
10/02/2009, 8:37 PM
Get a grip..

stats, and more stats - as i said you obviously werent wathcing the last Euros
Or the time when Greece beat Portugal in their home patch
Braizil win an easy world cup - well done - give me the Champions league anyday please
won what in south america? oh yeah i bet you googled that!!!!!!!! casue im sure in hell it didnt come into your mind straight off!!!!!!!!!!

Pike B
11/02/2009, 7:54 AM
stats, and more stats - as i said you obviously werent wathcing the last Euros
Or the time when Greece beat Portugal in their home patch
Braizil win an easy world cup - well done - give me the Champions league anyday please
won what in south america? oh yeah i bet you googled that!!!!!!!! casue im sure in hell it didnt come into your mind straight off!!!!!!!!!!
Take a pill bud. Your wound up like a friggin Jack in the Box.

In response to your ramblings above:

Stats don't lie. Any man who wins the greatest football tournament in the World(hence the name World Cup) does so not because its easy. That was your low point by the way..

Greece also beat France and the Czechs, were they rubbish aswell then??

The Champions League is the club comp in football no doubt, but it is as predictable as the English Prem, or La Liga have become. Same old names year in year out.
It is not as big as the World Cup. Ever.

And as for Google, never heard of it mate.. ;)

Now after all that, can I get a hug??? :D

bennocelt
11/02/2009, 9:34 AM
Take a pill bud. Your wound up like a friggin Jack in the Box.

In response to your ramblings above:

Stats don't lie. Any man who wins the greatest football tournament in the World(hence the name World Cup) does so not because its easy. That was your low point by the way..

Greece also beat France and the Czechs, were they rubbish aswell then??

The Champions League is the club comp in football no doubt, but it is as predictable as the English Prem, or La Liga have become. Same old names year in year out.
It is not as big as the World Cup. Ever.

And as for Google, never heard of it mate.. ;)

Now after all that, can I get a hug??? :D

No probs Pike:)
differing of opinions thats all

Stats do lie and all the time - even Bruno was world champ once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Int football can never compare to club football -its far easier to win a world cup than a CL IMHO
And that euros and world cup you mention were quite boring to be fair

Pike B
11/02/2009, 9:48 AM
No probs Pike:)
differing of opinions thats all

Stats do lie and all the time - even Bruno was world champ once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Int football can never compare to club football -its far easier to win a world cup than a CL IMHO
And that euros and world cup you mention were quite boring to be fair
Check out the new thread. Voice your opinion there. I would like to hear good arguements as to why you think Champs League tops World Cup..

Cymro
11/02/2009, 1:59 PM
Agree with superfrank. For God's sake, they were fourth in the table, in Scolari's first season, which has been phenomenally close and competitive, and only eight points behind the leaders. It was a bad decision to sack someone of his pedigree. So Chelsea don't win one of the big ones this year? So what? Teams are built over several seasons, not one. If Chelsea want to sack him and try and find someone better, fine, but they'll never get any serious long-term success if they don't give their man time.

osgood was good
11/02/2009, 2:35 PM
Not always a good time to sack a manager but he just couldnt get the best out of the players . Yes there are certain plaers guilty of being lazy *******s but he wasn't solving the problem. Some of his substitutions were bizzare and i questioned his ability to change a game . Man Utd destroyed us and we threw nothing back, Liverpool the same , even at Anfield we offered nothing and a lone striker such as Anelka will hardly set things alight.
His refusal to play 4-2-2 cost us, his continued selection on Malouda was questionable and Boswingwa who looked the part in August is a joke. Paulo F is a better full back but our lack of width on that side proved a huge downfall. Essien will be a welcome return and if Hiddink can get us back winning again, we can still make top 3 .

First
11/02/2009, 3:11 PM
Begs the question when is some owner going to have the balls to sack a player , they too are employed to get results , many of the so called top players are only in the EPL as it is a gravy train .I would love to see one of these pre-madonnas get the boot but I guess they'll just move on top another club and get their money elsewhere but at least their ego may take a nose dive.

osgood was good
11/02/2009, 3:33 PM
Absolutely agree , How many players do you see hiding during games because they dont want the 'work rate' involved. I think there was a case recently , or maybe less than 2 years ago where a player was fired because of exactly this.

Closed Account
13/02/2009, 2:16 PM
Staunton has apparently applied for the Chelsea job.
uYRSFTJ6_uQ
Apologies if its been posted before.