PDA

View Full Version : The affects of fundraising, in a lot of words

Rory H
08/02/2009, 11:38 PM
A humourous but hopefully uplifting take on the week that has been, and what could come.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Football has been cast aside in the latest crisis to hit Sligo Rovers. We really could do with a friendly game this week in fairness! Perhaps we could put money matters to one side for the moment, thought it won’t stay off the agenda for too long. What do you make of this team? The symbol represents a quality player brought in by the returning Paul Cook( bare with me, I’m setting a scene!)

Goalkeeper: Brush

Defence: Cretaro, Almeida, Peers, * Left-back

Midfield: Morrison, O’Grady, Ryan, Doherty

Forwards: Boco and Parkhouse.

Now, it is a pity I can’t fill in that left-back slot. No disrespect to Danny Ventre, he’ll probably turn out to be our most important player of the season because of his versatility, but he should not be considered a first choice left-back…..yet. I would be fairly certain Cookie has one in mind, especially as we were strongly linked with one recently, however it would be inappropriate to mention his name.

Anyway, back to the point, I think that team could win the League of Ireland in 2009. Brushy is a great ’keeper, we all know about Mauro and Peersy. Morrison, we’re dying to see him in the Bit o’ Red. Ryan can really show what he can do, same for Doherty. We needed a big man up front and Parkhouse could do the job. The King of Benin, it is your year.

Unfortunatly, we only have a team, not a squad. A starting 11 does not win a title, but a squad does. I’m sure some successful manager said that in England one time or the other, and it is true. Annoying isn’t it? We could have won it year if things had worked out. That is the kind of thing we don’t want to hear come the end of the year. Actually you could be saying come the end of this week.

The thing that really hacks me off is that it is pretty pointless posting that fact on this site. This won’t appeal to those random people who give the all-imporant fiver or the like for a Rovers lottery ticket or whatever. This for the small number of supporters who read this site. The reason you logged in is you’re Rovers mad. It’s your weekend, the thing that gets you to that point of the week and half your life. Your spouse is fed up of hearing about it, the boss gives you yet another half day on a Friday to go to an away game and you only go on holiday when the season takes a break in June. It may be the most expensive time to go away but ride me rock solid I’m not missing Bray away!

You have done everything in your power. “I’m not doing anymore, the committee are a shower of *****( that doesn’t mean shower of quality players by the way)”. We do all feel that way now and then, but it really is not true. Sure there is a recession on, who can give money to Sligo Rovers? I know I can’t, couldn’t afford to give €50 really. We’re all in the same boat. While it was possible last summer, it definitely is not now. How can we work around that? Well many of ua make Mooney’s home on a Saturday night, and it is not just because of the nice pint! Good old Jimmy has come through for us and organised several race nights across the county on Friday night. Race nights are always a bit of craic, while also not breaking the bank.

So, with so many going on, this is our chance. I’m guessing about 50 people will read this blog. What if 50 people brought three friends to a race night? That is 200 giving to the cause, perhaps 40 per race night, and if they all gave €20, well that’s €4000.

Then if you take that €4000 and throw it on number six in the third race at Fairyhouse on Tuesday, sure Cookie will be back in The Troubador before we know it. That is a joke, but we’re hardly going to raise €60,000 from one event.

There is no time to waste. It’s been three months since the season ended and we want more. That won’t happen if we don’t finish higher that fourth. Hughie Blaine famously stood up on a BO’RST supporters bus and affirmed his loyalty.

“We all have something in common here. Do you believe me when I say it? That’s what it is about lads. I’m a very strong believer. Go out Saturday with your head’s held high.”

Evoke a memory? The day Sligo Rovers were backed into a corner, up against the odds, with no manager and supposedly no hope. Rob McDonald had put a squad together that was a joke. Rovers didn’t even have a striker. What happened? We hammered Galway. The supporter’s made a difference that night.

What about last year? A relegation battle looked on the cards. The team turned it around, again when we didn’t have a squad. The fans raised the money to keep it going. That November day in The Showgrounds was worth every penny of the €100,000 raised.

Now, we must rise again. Nothing is impossible when it comes to Rovers. It is what makes special. Make one more special effort. The Bit O’Red Supporter’s Trust can do no more. Whether it be €2 a week, a Golden Goal, going to a race night or a one off donation - Save our season and save our scouser.

www.thebitored.com

Details of race nights to appear on Monday afternoon.

sligoman
09/02/2009, 1:42 AM
Ryan can really show what he can doI heard he's out injured for a couple of months, ligament damage:(.

Red&White Rover
09/02/2009, 3:55 PM
Richie Ryan is out for a long bit I heard as well.