PDA

View Full Version : Watching Ireland v Georgia in Laos...

TerryPhelan
07/02/2009, 8:29 AM
Greetings all,

I find myself in Houay Xai, Laos - just across the river from the Thai border. I'm desperate to watch the Georgia match on Wednesday, but I'm not flying out of here until the 12th. Does anyone have any idea where or how I'll be able to get coverage? I'm contemplating even crossing into Thailand for the night (7 hours ahead here, so kick-off would be around 2.30am for me), watching it and then going back here. Would involve getting a visa, but I think they're free.

Failing that, I am going to try and persuade one of the internet cafes to stay open (long) past their usual 11pm curfew.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I'd get to see this match?! I'll be a nervous wreck knowing it's going ahead without the superstititious match-altering-fact-that-I-am-watching-it being present...

All helpful recommendations appreciated!
:):ball:

geysir
07/02/2009, 12:53 PM
Can't help you Terry but appreciate your dedication with your priorities in the midst of your Eastern adventures.
At least I can safely reassure you, with absolute certainty, that the game outcome is completely immune to your circumstances.

Crosby87
07/02/2009, 1:51 PM
I know you guys travel around more than the average American these days, but have that many of you been to Houay Xai watching sports that you can recommend a place? Are there even any options? Why would Ireland and Georgia be on there? Its not even on at NYC's main tourist Soccer bar, Nevada Smiths according to the website, and Fergie was hanging out there a few months ago. Yeesh.
PS If you do find a bar in Thialand at 230 AM that is deciding to air Georgia vs Ireland, when you leave you will be stuffed in a trunk within .5 seconds. Am I wrong?

EastTerracer
07/02/2009, 3:25 PM
Its not even on at NYC's main tourist Soccer bar, Nevada Smiths according to the website

The game is on Setanta in the US so Clancys on 52nd or Kavanagh's on 3rd Ave will both be showing it. According to my Setanta Broadband package it's also available pay-per-view online.

Sorry - I have no equivalent information for Laos but myp2p.eu usually gives you a couple of options.

Junior
07/02/2009, 6:55 PM
Find a fellow backpacker who is dragging a laptop around with them and do a deal to let you use it in the ealry hours!! No doubt you'll need a wifi spot.

Be careful with Thailand - Even Bangkok has strict closing times much earlier than you would expect. about 12I think (from memory) though you can find the odd sneaky bar that stays open later risking fines from the police.

Not much help Im afraid.....

Crosby87
08/02/2009, 12:04 AM
The game is on Setanta in the US so Clancys on 52nd or Kavanagh's on 3rd Ave will both be showing it. According to my Setanta Broadband package it's also available pay-per-view online.

Red Lion is better.

elroy
08/02/2009, 12:55 PM
Id imagine that you should be able to find it on justin.tv, streaming may not be fantastic though.

TerryPhelan
10/02/2009, 9:48 AM
Thanks very much to everyone for the advice - as things stand, I've negotiated with the internet cafe owner here to let me in after hours to watch the game. So it's just a case of finding a website that will allow me to do that!!

I watched Ireland v France in the 6 Nations on justin.tv which was ok in the main, but it has no listings for the Georgia game. Does anyone know of any other websites that will be showing the match?

Thanks again.

irishfan86
10/02/2009, 11:37 AM
Hopefully something comes up closer to the date. Justin TV has really made streams more commonplace than before and I'd say there will be one up there somewhere...if I find a stream I'll check in before the match and pass it on- if anybody else finds one do likewise, in case I'm looking instead of providing!

centre mid
10/02/2009, 11:54 AM
Its going to be streamed live on www.rte.ie/live you will need to find a way around the proxy issue, i'll try and post something up to help (if allowed).

centre mid
10/02/2009, 11:56 AM
http://www.blackdog.ie/tv/

follow the instructions on above and you should be sorted. George Hamiton though !!

pineapple stu
10/02/2009, 12:50 PM
Do RTÉ still do LW? Can't remember...

Wolfie
10/02/2009, 12:57 PM
I thought the thread was entitled "Watching Ireland V Georgia in Laois" for a sec there.

I had visions of a black and white telly with an aerial.

tetsujin1979
10/02/2009, 1:20 PM
Do RTÉ still do LW? Can't remember...
from http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0210/hunts.html

Watch the Republic of Ireland v Georgia live on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (RoI) and listen live on RTÉ Radio 1 FM, LW 252, DAB and worldwide on RTÉ.ie from 7pm this Wednesday.

TerryPhelan
10/02/2009, 1:44 PM
Thanks a million lads, really appreciate the help. George Hamilton on RTE, beamed all the way to Laos, would be a dream come true if it works out! Much obliged. Here's hoping it's a game worth watching!!

Junior
10/02/2009, 2:09 PM
Make sure you have a crate of these with you and you can have your own little singing section in SE Asia!!!

eirebhoy
10/02/2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks a million lads, really appreciate the help. George Hamilton on RTE, beamed all the way to Laos, would be a dream come true if it works out! Much obliged. Here's hoping it's a game worth watching!!
Don't know if you read that right but the RTE video stream is only available in Ireland. Audio stream available world wide.

irishfan86
11/02/2009, 6:49 PM
http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ch3.html

bennocelt
11/02/2009, 7:10 PM
cheers mate

this will cheer me up no end - ha ha ha:p

TerryPhelan
11/02/2009, 7:50 PM
It's 3.45am, I'm sitting up bleary-eyed and alone in an internet cafe in an obscure town in north-eastern Laos, having run the gauntlet of several large, curious dogs on my walk here... and THIS is what I have to reward me for my efforts.

Really appreciate the help with watching the game lads, but after a first half like that I'm seriously doubting it was worth it. As feared, our wingers are not offsetting the creative burden we've put on them. Ref is shoddy. Georgia look assured and as time goes on will only put more men behind the ball.

paul_oshea
11/02/2009, 9:55 PM
what now terry?!

RogerMilla
13/02/2009, 11:26 AM
how ya phelan now terry?

TerryPhelan
13/02/2009, 11:34 AM
Phelan absolutely delighted as Trap's men once again confound my gloomy predictions!! Not our best performance, but Duff and particularly McGeady came out of their shells and had a go in the second half. So great to witness an Irish side digging out a victory in circumstances which, not too long ago, would've been 'one of those nights' - sloppy early goal conceded, legitimate goal disallowed etc.

All in all, very happy. Not the best display but the three points are Terry-ific.

Junior
13/02/2009, 11:51 AM
Good man - now what obscure place will you be watching the Bulgaria Game?

bennocelt
13/02/2009, 1:45 PM
heh Terry dont forget to give us a full travel report in the travel section on Laos when you return:)

Closed Account 2
13/02/2009, 1:58 PM
Terry, what happend to your career at Charleston Battery ?

Stuttgart88
13/02/2009, 2:05 PM
What's the big deal watching an Ireland game in Laois?

LaoisLads
18/02/2009, 3:55 PM
could ya not just do like the rest of us and listen to the match on the oul wireless?!

or get a ticket and tip on up to dublin, its not a bad trip now with the motorway:D:D

TerryPhelan
23/02/2009, 4:32 PM
Charleston Battery was one very small pond for one very big fish (and a very big fish, at that, which could trace its ancestry to Sligo and also had an allergy to the fabric in sports socks). So it was onward and downward (only in the geographical sense, of course) to the dizzy heights of Otago FC where I took up a player/manager role and, last time I checked, steered Otago to a creditable 2-0 win over Wellington FC, ending a 23 match winless streak. My managerial career is definitely on the upward curve...