PDA

View Full Version : Festival of Britain

seand
06/02/2009, 12:53 PM
Bit of an obscure one here, just wondering if anyone knows anything much about any of the League of Ireland clubs participation in the Festival of Britain in 1951? I know most clubs travelled to England to play friendlies in May 51. For the record, here's Dundalk's results:

7-5-1951 Wrexham v Dundalk 2-0
9-5-1951 Tranmere Rovers v Dundalk 5-0
12-5-1951 Shrewsbury Town v Dundalk 1-2
14-5-1951 Chester City v Dundalk 4-0
15-5-1951 Rhyl v Dundalk 4-0

gspain
09/02/2009, 8:56 AM
all the clubs went AFAIK. We played the 3rd division north clubs apart from odd games such as Rhyl v Dundalk and South Liverpool v Cork Athletic. There is some dispute as to what games were part of the festival and a Home Farm v Birmingham game in Dublin is sometimes listed as well.

Not a definitive list but here are ones I can recall.

Limerick met Darlington, Hartlepool and Gateshead losing all 3.

Sligo met Scunthorpe, Lincoln, York and Bootle.

Cork Atheltic met New Brighton, Oldham, Accrington Stanley and South Liverpool

Waterford met Rotherham, Mansfield, Halifax and Carlisle

Bohs met Rochdale, Accrington Stanley and Oldham

Rovers met Barrow, Carlisle, Workington and Rochdale

Shels met Darlington, Chester and Crewe

Transport met York, Scunthorpe and Lincoln

Drums met Stockport, Southport, Tranmere

I've probably forgotten a couple.

There were a few wins but quite a few heavy defeats too. I have most of the results somewhere but would need to dig them up.

I know Limerick treated it as a bit of a holiday and a drinking session as did Waterford. Waterford shipped a really heavy defeat if I recall correctly possible v Rotherham but would need to check it.

I'm pretty sure New Brighton's last ever match a football league club was their Fob game v Cork Atheltic.

gspain
09/02/2009, 11:55 AM
Our schoolboys also played their Welsh counterparts in an Fob game in 1951 in Wales.