thecorner
22/11/2003, 3:10 AM
shels won the league 2nite,as if u didnt know already
but we can take heart in we played well and done ourselves proud

as for the law and stewards.......thats for another rant

Counting Crow
22/11/2003, 11:13 AM
Spot on corner.

Thought Nwankwo played well again - hope Dolan signs him on a permanent basis.

Jamie Nolan did well also - should have been left on for longer.

If only Casey had scored early on instead of hitting the upright - what a great chance. Shells were really nervous and we took the game to them in the first half.

It was hard to watch the Shells fans celebrate at the end but have to say many of them came up afterwards and shook our hands and wished us well.

Which brings me to the other topic of crowd segregation. The situation the stewards and guardai let develop in the second half was nothing short of a disgrace.
First half City had the entire uncovered end to ourselves.
Half time and no City fans allowed back through the gates to the bar!!!!!!!!!
Second half and the stewards open the gates to allow significant amount of Shells fans into our end - making an entire ring around us - where in the world would you see this happen?
WE were fortunate that the Shells did not have any reason to go there but to cheer on their team ( by and large they were sound )

Now had it been one of their Dublin neighbours ...........!

b_mcsweeney
22/11/2003, 11:35 AM
listened to the game on radio last night. yer man on the commentary made a point of mentioning several times how poor nwanku was playing. doesn't seem to tally with reports above. mind you, the two guys also kept harping on about byrne having scored a "goal of the season" contender.

ccfcgirl
22/11/2003, 12:38 PM
i was at the game last night and i found there was great sportsmanship between city and shels fans a pity about the bar incident at half time but all and all a great day out.

thecorner
22/11/2003, 12:53 PM
stewarding cant have been that great if u few of us managed to get into the bar:D

Counting Crow
22/11/2003, 2:23 PM
b_mcsweeney:

Byrne's goal was a poxy deflection........goal of the season my ****.

What radio station were you listening to.......radio Shells?

DolansWaistcoat
22/11/2003, 2:34 PM
I saw the deflected goal on telly last night,a poxy load of Sh*t.The defenders seemed to turn around and blame Mick though:confused: It looked like there was nothing that he could do.

Looked like Casey should have done better,but no point goin on about it now.

Anyway spa fcuked up so we're all right:)

Counting Crow
22/11/2003, 2:51 PM
Not yet DolansWaistcoat.

We have a long week ahead of us yet.

Keep an eye on Pat's results this coming Monday and Thursday nights.

DolansWaistcoat
22/11/2003, 3:00 PM
Oh don't worry Counting Crow i'll have the teletext button worn away on the remote checking page 222 every minute:D

Seriously though I reckon we've done enough to get the third spot.Spa will slip up again during the week.

HOPEFULLY!:cool:

Peadar
24/11/2003, 8:35 AM
Originally posted by b_mcsweeney
the two guys also kept harping on about byrne having scored a "goal of the season" contender.

We'll have to assume that the commentary position is in the main stand, from where the goal probably did look good.
Since we were standing behind the opposite goal, looking directly down the pitch, we could see the deflection more clearly. Think Devine should have come out before the to ball fell to Byrne.

Nwanko did okm but only ok.
He will obviously need time to settle into the eL but he lacked any real authority.

George kept dropping too deep to be an effective striker.

James
24/11/2003, 8:37 AM
Originally posted by ccfcgirl
a pity about the bar incident at half time but all and all a great day out.

anyone care to enlighten those of us not there what went on ?

GavinZac
24/11/2003, 8:44 AM
Originally posted by James
anyone care to enlighten those of us not there what went on ?

they were (apparantly) not left back out of the stand to go to the bar.

Éanna
24/11/2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
Spot on corner.

Thought Nwankwo played well again - hope Dolan signs him on a permanent basis.

Jamie Nolan did well also - should have been left on for longer.

If only Casey had scored early on instead of hitting the upright - what a great chance. Shells were really nervous and we took the game to them in the first half.

It was hard to watch the Shells fans celebrate at the end but have to say many of them came up afterwards and shook our hands and wished us well.

Which brings me to the other topic of crowd segregation. The situation the stewards and guardai let develop in the second half was nothing short of a disgrace.
First half City had the entire uncovered end to ourselves.
Half time and no City fans allowed back through the gates to the bar!!!!!!!!!
Second half and the stewards open the gates to allow significant amount of Shells fans into our end - making an entire ring around us - where in the world would you see this happen?
WE were fortunate that the Shells did not have any reason to go there but to cheer on their team ( by and large they were sound )

Now had it been one of their Dublin neighbours ...........!
I thought Nwankwo had a very good first half but he did fade in the second. Wait til he gets used to this league and he'll be an excellent player. Nolan has done very well in the last 2 games as well.

The half time incident was bull****. Shels acted the gob****e and some city fans got over-excited. Why anyone would want to give money to the *******s by buying drink in their bar is beyond me anyway. The lack of crowd segregation was inexcusable. In the second half we were surrounded by shels fans and there were Bohs fans in there too- its a recipe for disaster :rolleyes:

I spoke to shels event controller and asked him why no segregation- his answer was "We haven't had any contentious matches at Tolka Park this season." So I made the point that that was all well and good but it was better to be safe than sorry, and he muttered something about shels bringing in a specific area for away fans next season- think he said on the riverside stand.

Nothing shels do surprises me anymore. they are a joke of a club with no fans and run by a gangster. scum

Eric
24/11/2003, 12:31 PM
There was a bit of hassle between Bohs and Shels fans up behind the City fans in the Ballybough end in the second half. There were no Gardai at the game in the first half and they only got called in when it was realised there was a significant number of Bohs fans there.

I heard that a young fella got his nose broken but can't confirm that yet.

Every game I've been to at Tolka this year between Dublin clubs there has been segration, however when a team from outside the pale goes there then there is no segration.

Éanna
24/11/2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Eric
Every game I've been to at Tolka this year between Dublin clubs there has been segration, however when a team from outside the pale goes there then there is no segration.
yeah, sounds about right. its ridiculous. there should be a rule that says a section of the ground must be sectioned off for away fans, simple as that

Dodge
24/11/2003, 2:07 PM
There's no segregation because by and large its not needed. There's certainly no segregation in Turner's Cross.

Most grounds have their away bit but its not official or anything (oh and BTW I think you're the only fans that go behind the goal in tolka. Everyone else goes to the Riverside

Macy
24/11/2003, 2:17 PM
Yeah, even section O take the riverside.....

Shels usually swop ends at half time....

Why would you want to stand/sit in an open end anyway? Esp. as the Riverside roof is one of the best for helping the atmosphere....

joe
24/11/2003, 2:30 PM
kind of hard to go into the riverside when it's closed though

wiseman
24/11/2003, 3:05 PM
God, this is the first time I heard anyone ask to be segregated, to be put in there own fenced off area, herded in like animals etc etc. Which will probably be the complaint next year if Shels do segregate.
I understand the point if it was Bohs or the Homeless, but Shels?? in all fairness. If it passed trouble free between the Shels and City lads then well done to everyone for showing that opposing fans can sit near each other without trouble. The way forward for all to follow

ccfcgirl
24/11/2003, 5:13 PM
wiseman i 100% agree with you

Colm
24/11/2003, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I spoke to shels event controller and asked him why no segregation

It's because Ollie Byrne wants to be able to come over and give the visiting fans a nice warm welcome!;) Cnut!:mad:

As for Bohs fans being at the match. I think the question that needs to be asked is why werent they at their own game a mere 30 miles up the road. Full time club, part time fans!

joe
24/11/2003, 9:11 PM
Originally posted by wiseman
God, this is the first time I heard anyone ask to be segregated

i much prefer being 'segregated' at games to the alternative

pete
25/11/2003, 9:34 AM
Originally posted by joe
i much prefer being 'segregated' at games to the alternative

Me too.

I don't think its unreasonable for clubs to have designated away supporter sections. This doesn't mean they have to have a fence around it but stops trouble happening when passions run high.

btw Nwankwo looked ok in first half but faded badly in the 2nd. Biggest problem for city all season (even when O'flynn playing) was poor standard of shooting at goal.

Dodge
25/11/2003, 9:46 AM
Well the club licensing oblige all clubs to have a designated away section