PDA

View Full Version : Electric Picnic not happening this year?

jebus
05/02/2009, 1:09 PM
Have heard from quite a few people that the Electric Picnic won't be taking place this year due to the cost of running the event in these times.

Anyone heard similar? Keeping all possible libel rumours to one side of course

Would be a shame to lose the event in my opinion. I've been to each of them, bar the one day event that started it in 2004, and have some great memories, both musical and otherwise :)

Music highlights for me would be

2005: Arcade Fire, Kraftwerk, LCD Soundsystem
2006: Cut Chemist, Soulwax, New Order
2007: Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, Erasure
2008: Booka Shade, Underworld, Jape

endabob1
05/02/2009, 1:24 PM
They've announced dates & sold early bird tickets

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/press/press_20080929.html

Oh and Bjork was poor in '07 actually almost anything apart from Primal Scream & the Chemical Brothers on the main stage was poor iirc. The sound was dreadful unless you were very veyr close to the front.

Last years runaway highlight was elbow, best live show I've seen in many a a year

Docboy
05/02/2009, 2:14 PM
Jim Carroll in his blog on The Irish Times site says that it's going ahead and that some bands have been booked already. Hopefully he's right, it's the besy way to close off the summer.

jebus
05/02/2009, 4:31 PM
Here's hoping anyway. I knew the early bird tickets were gone but they could always refund them I guess, hopefully it's all just rumours anyway

Neish
05/02/2009, 10:42 PM
Hope its on havn't been since 2006(where I had a jolly good time) so hope to get there again this year

kingdom hoop
05/02/2009, 11:00 PM
hopefully it's all just rumours anyway

Rumours and recession are bedfellows I think. "There's no recession without rumour," is how the mangled saying goes isn't it. Like the businessman down here who was said to be closing down one of his pubs, then a couple of his pubs were closing, then his nightclub was closing, then his whole business was gone bust, then he had gone missing, done a leggar apparently. Then you go into town and he's serving you in his fully open and functioning nightclub! It got to the stage where he had to go on local radio to play down the rumours.

Just a recent example of how things can get legs, then wings, and before you know it, a creature the size of twelve elephants is flying around the place breathing fire and being ridden by seven dwarfs under the stewardship of Cilla Black.

Of course that said, EP might still be cancelled. :) I'd say it might be scaled back a bit alright maybe - fripperies and whatnot sacrificed. But the fact that it has sold out the last few times and people will still scrounge enough cash together for a session would lead you to think it won't be fully cancelled.

Who was saying it anyway Jebus? Or maybe as importantly, who was saying it to them?

anto1208
05/02/2009, 11:15 PM
Id like if they reduced the numbers/size/price of the event