PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie Supporter Club

ProfFrink
21/11/2003, 2:29 PM
After the absolute lack of atmosphere at the Canada match I believe that the members of Foot.ie who want to see this change need to set up a Foot.ie Supporters Club. The purpose of this club will be to rival the eL boys on the north terrace in singing and chanting. Hopefully having a very vocal group at both ends will raise the noise on the West and East stands.

We need to get about 100 people who will scream their lungs out for the whole match.

First thing we need is a list of people who would what to be members, so far we have:
1. Proffrink
2. Beavis
3. Pogsly

Second is to contact the FAI, I will contact the FAI and tell them of our plan and that we will prove ourselves in the up coming friendlies. If anyone who wants to be a member has any objections to me contacting them on our behalf please post it here before Wed 26 Nov.

Dodge
21/11/2003, 2:33 PM
I wouldn't say there's 100 people on these forums who aren't eL fans tbh...

Peadar
21/11/2003, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by ProfFrink
The purpose of this club will be to rival the eL boys on the north terrace in singing and chanting.

Why would you want to set up a club to rival us when the remainder of the ground already seems to do that.
If anything you should be encouraging people to join in with the eL fans. We're not out on a solo mission to prove we're the greatest fans in the world. We want to improve the atmosphere at International games and make the away team feel like the "away" team.
If you're intent on creating further division in the Ireland support then I wish you nothing but failure.
We're all supporting the same team are we not!?

wws
21/11/2003, 4:11 PM
Its a good idea - just to get the stand goin?
ie you have groups dedicated to the same thing on all sides of the ground?

presumably they try and work together

ps - it simply wont work at friendlies as there is nothing at stake and consequently no need for passion

Beavis
21/11/2003, 4:47 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Why would you want to set up a club to rival us when the remainder of the ground already seems to do that.

I think 'rival' was probably the wrong choice of words here.We want to work towards a louder Lansdowne for the next campaign and we'll obviously be trying to do that in conjuction with the El fans.
The south stand,which is the largest of the two ends,has been a joke since the El fans were brought together in the north.I think that if we could get a crowd of good vocal support at every game in the south,even half as good as the El crowd,it could make a big difference.

Though it might be hard to start it off in,as wws said,meaningless friendlies.:(

ProfFrink
21/11/2003, 5:00 PM
Peader - have a read of the posts in the forum "national team >> silence in lansdown rd" i think you have miss understood what i said.

WWS in answer to your questions:
A group of fifty on the south should be able to get the terrace going and with the eL boys on the north we should be able to have both ends going and hopefully that would get the east and west going as well.

You do have a point with the friendlies, but they would give us a chance to get it organised and get the crowd back into the concept of singing/chanting/ roaring etc which sadly has been missing as of late.

I believe most people would agree that something has to be done about the atmosphere, so all we can do is try.

Peadar
21/11/2003, 5:08 PM
A group of fifty on the south should be able to get the terrace going

You do have a point with the friendlies,

Why are people so intent on spelling my name incorrectly?

First things first.
The terraces in Lansdowne Road are only available for friendly games since the special UEFA dispensation expired at the end of the Euro2004 qualifying campaign.
We're all in agreement that people can't be arsed at friendlies so the traditional seating arrangements you refer to aren't really relevant to this discussion as they'll not apply to the next qualifying campaign.
Until an alternative venue is secured we can't really talk about atmosphere at future games.
By all means get yourselves organised but you might find that if you talk to the FAI now they wont have much to say to you.
It's all up in the air so to speak.
I imagine that after the draw is made on the 05/12/2003 things will be brought into perspective in the sense that we'll know who'll be coming to town.

Beavis
24/11/2003, 2:16 PM
After the WC qualifying draw is announced the FAI may have a better perspective on what arrangments will be made for these games(regarding bucket seats or going to Croker etc),
so maybe postpone any action until then? but by-no-means dropping the idea

Éanna
24/11/2003, 2:41 PM
I don't think there's much point really. The problem is that the majpority of the crowd in landsdowne are idots who don't know the first thing about supporting a football team. The real fans are the ones who go to eL games every week, and if I had my way I'd boot all the others out. They simply don't deserve to be there.

Beavis
24/11/2003, 3:05 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
The real fans are the ones who go to eL games every week, and if I had my way I'd boot all the others out. They simply don't deserve to be there.

We don't support El teams so we don't deserve to be there?!
What have you got stuck up your arse?
I support the progress of Ireland's best players,and the truth is they're playing abroad.
You have the choice between supporting your A team or your B team,which do you do?

Similarly I could say people who don't play soccer shouldn't be there.Do you play soccer Eanna?no?then f*ck off supporting Ireland cos you know nothing about football!:rolleyes:

Explain to me this,you say that non-El fans don't know how to support?,what do El fans do at games that differs them from anyone else with the exception of starting more chants,(and with this South Terrace vocal support idea we're trying to change that).
Basically Eanna you think you're above the other fans at Lansdowne Road just cos you're an El fan and the sooner you lose that sentiment the better.:rolleyes:

tetsujin1979
24/11/2003, 5:01 PM
I get a lot of that as well, just because I don't go to watch the eL on a regular basis doesn't make me any less of a football fan, in year's past it was dire although it has started to improve and results in Europe are showing that. However it has still a long way to go to start attracting the talent and crowds of other minor leagues in Europe.
With the ruling about schoolboy clubs due payments from transfers involving any of their former players, we're going to see more of the future talent of Ireland playing at home. Whether or not this is entirely a good question is open to debate - there are superiour facilities available to the clubs in England, so you can argue the players will improve to a higher level there.
This probably brings back the question of a national training centre/centre of excellence for the FAI.

Chippy
25/11/2003, 4:55 PM
I wouldn't mind betting that Eanna didn't bother his arse turning up last Tuesday night ......... Come to think of it, I didn't see too many "real" fans on the north terrace that night. No sign of their big flags either. No doubt though, they'll all be back for the qualifiers next year & Fran Rooney will be bending over backwards to give them tickets.

Macy
25/11/2003, 5:10 PM
Originally posted by Chippy
I wouldn't mind betting that Eanna didn't bother his arse turning up last Tuesday night ......... Come to think of it, I didn't see too many "real" fans on the north terrace that night. No sign of their big flags either. No doubt though, they'll all be back for the qualifiers next year & Fran Rooney will be bending over backwards to give them tickets.
Maybe that's because the eL is going through a spell of 2 games a week and so it wouldn't be his 1st live game in weeks.....

Shed End John
25/11/2003, 6:14 PM
I believe most people would agree that something has to be done about the atmosphere, so all we can do is try.

Agreed as I have to say the atmosphere at the Russia game was VERY disappointing, even accounting for the poor performance.
IMO, the eL and non-eL goers need to calm down and stop going at each others throats. Something HAS to be done....fact; but looking at some of these posts, all that will be accomplished is a rift between the two sides and what then? Total silence from one crowd when the other sings. Like that will improve the atmosphere.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Beavis
25/11/2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
Something HAS to be done....fact; but looking at some of these posts, all that will be accomplished is a rift between the two sides and what then?

If you read earlier posts I have done my upmost to get across that this,if anything was to happen,it would most certainly in conjunction with the El fans of the North.

I just got a bit worked up when someone who has followed Ireland to Tirana,Moscow and Basel last year is being accused of not being a real fan!.:)

Macy
26/11/2003, 2:39 PM
Don't think we need another thread of your excuses and justifications for not following Irish football week in, week out....

:)

Dodge
26/11/2003, 2:52 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
I just got a bit worked up when someone who has followed Ireland to Tirana,Moscow and Basel last year is being accused of not being a real fan!.:)
Still doesn't show as much dedication as athlone, UCD or Finn Harps;)

Éanna
26/11/2003, 5:18 PM
Similarly I could say people who don't play soccer shouldn't be there.Do you play soccer Eanna?no?then f*ck off supporting Ireland cos you know nothing about football!:rolleyes:
I do actually :rolleyes:

Basically Eanna you think you're above the other fans at Lansdowne Road just cos you're an El fan and the sooner you lose that sentiment the better.:rolleyes:
I don't think I'm better, I KNOW I'm better than you and all the other muppets who think going to a football match involves getting on a plane or turning up in landsdowne once in a while.

For the record, I only go Landsdowne occasionally because I spend my money and my spare time following City not the over-paid prima donnas that are making a pigs ear of representing this country and I also have a major problem handing my hard-earned money over to the ****wits in the FAI who like you and your "we only watch the best players" buddies are more interested in getting ****-faced in moscow and howling out that awful olé olé with a pint in your hand in red square than actually REALLY knowing what its like to support a team through thick and thin.

Beavis
26/11/2003, 7:03 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Don't think we need another thread of your excuses and justifications for not following Irish football week in, week out....

:)

Yeah,I don't want to get into this again either cos I've tried many times with little success (well it is me against everyone!).

Look,if yous think that supporting an LoI team is the be all and end all of being a supporter then fine,there's not going to be much I can do to make you reconsider your views.

If you want to think I'm not a 'real' fan then so be it,but you still can't tell me what it is,in relation to supporting Ireland, that yous would do as EL fans at a game different from any others.(I don't hear any original chants or songs,and I know that yous have been guilty of starting Ole Ole yourselves in the past!)

Originally posted by Eanna
I don't think I'm better, I KNOW I'm better than you and all the other muppets who think going to a football match involves getting on a plane or turning up in landsdowne once in a while.

Jesus Christ,does anyone else think this guy is a complete arse?

TheRealRovers
26/11/2003, 9:51 PM
Beavis your probably a real football supporter and I’m sure there are many other non LoI fans who are also real football fans but majority of fans at Ireland games who know noting about supporting a football team. They think watching the high lights of Man U on the TV is supporting a team.
(Going to most Rovers games I know what it is to support a team. lose, lose, lose, draw, lose, win)

thecorner
27/11/2003, 4:17 AM
Jesus Christ,does anyone else think this guy is a complete arse?

there is know way he can be a complete arse
he cant even be half an arse

he supprts city so he must know something about football;)

Beavis
27/11/2003, 9:11 AM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers
majority of fans at Ireland games who know noting about supporting a football team. They think watching the high lights of Man U on the TV is supporting a team.

Possibly quite true for home games at least.Eg the time Jaap Stm was booed at Lansdowne for recently leaving United:rolleyes:

I just hope it would be acknowledged that being a good Ireland fan is not inherent with being a member of an eL supporters club.

Pogsly
27/11/2003, 1:55 PM
This really is disappointing . As a true Republic of Ireland Supporter (Not an Eircom League Supporter or a Prawn Sandwich Supporter or a Bhoys supporter) it is more disgusting than disappointing to see in-fighting amongst like-minded people on a broad forum such as this . Regardless of our allegiances to clubs anyone who contributes to this Forum has an interest in the well-being of Irish Soccer . I like football in general . I do not attend local matches in Dublin for the simple reason that I don't want to . And that is my right as an individual to choose not to do so . However when TV3 or RTE show EL highlights or matches on the TV I will watch them just like I don't go to matches in Britain but I will watch these games on TV when they are shown . Why ? Because I have an interest in all aspects of football in general .
The comments of Eanna , Dodge and Macy verged on the ridiculous - no smart replies please because that will just degenrate this forum even further . The comments they posted almost made Eircom League Supporters sound Elitest ! If this offends anyone then I profusely apologise but I am not Pro or Anti EL fans , I am just taking an objective view .
There is Universal Agreement that the Added Colour and Noise generated by the EL fans recently was a unbelievable success and hats off to you guys . However these fans who come on to this forum and dictate who should and should not be supporting Ireland is bordering on the bizzare . Remember guys if it were not for a certain Fran Rooney youz probably wouldn't have been facilitated in the ground in the first place . To cast an ignorant shrug of the shoulders to guys who travel all over Europe supporting their nation ( In what everyone regards as the lowest ebb in the recent history of the country ) is horrible . Regardless of how much money people earn or what vocation they have , supporting the country costs a lot of money and shouldn't be sneered at just because you pay the €13 return ticket every fortnight to watch Pike Rovers take on Tralee Dynamos in the Munster Senior Cup (No offence meant to either club !)

Pogsly

ProfFrink
27/11/2003, 1:58 PM
Point taken on waiting until after 5/12.

Most importantly all i'm trying to organise is 50-100 people to shout, chant and sing for the duration of the match I don't care whether your a celtic, manu or rovers fan. I just want people who are willing to go along and make noise for the match, this isn't about showing up the eL guys on the north or anything like that.

Éanna
27/11/2003, 5:38 PM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers
I’m sure there are many other non LoI fans who are also real football fans but majority of fans at Ireland games who know noting about supporting a football team. They think watching the high lights of Man U on the TV is supporting a team.
Thats what I'm getting at. The majority of people in Landsdowne have no idea what its really like to support a team. I go back to a story I heard a few years back- a fellow in a shels jersey was at an Ireland game in Landsdowne and a guy in a Man Utd jersey came over and started laughing at him saying "what the fúck are you wearing that thing for?" Those are the kind of muppets I'm talking about.

Beavis, I'm sorry I took such a personal swipe at you but in general I have very little time for people who profess to be football fans and don't go to games. Real football fans go to matches, if they can't get to their own team, they go to other matches. Idiots follow their team on Sky, and unfortunately a lot of them pop into landsdowne a few times a year

tiktok
27/11/2003, 5:39 PM
I think a lot of the posters on Foot.ie would already be involved in the EL section or would be block bookers / favour certain other parts of the ground, so while a good place to start it might not be the best or only place to canvass support.

i think it's a great idea, we should generate the best atmosphere possible for games, but at the moment there are so many uncertainties (reduced capacity etc.) it is better to wait and see.