PDA

View Full Version : Stephen McPhail

pineapple stu
21/11/2003, 12:42 PM
According to Ceefax yesterday, Leeds are recalling him from his loan at Forest (or his loan is up and they're not extending it, one or the other).

Is this a good thing or a bad thing???

finlma
21/11/2003, 1:50 PM
As a Leeds supporter I say great because I rate McPhail highly and its all hands on deck at the moment.
I think McPhail would prefer to stay at Forest because he'll get a more regular game but I think he's good enough to get into the Leeds side. If Hart leaves Forest for Leeds he'll definately bring McPhail with him.

Ref
21/11/2003, 1:55 PM
Leeds want €1.1 million for him.

They're desperate for money and can't let anyone go for nothing at the moment.

tricky_colour
21/11/2003, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
According to Ceefax yesterday, Leeds are recalling him from his loan at Forest (or his loan is up and they're not extending it, one or the other).

Is this a good thing or a bad thing???

The loan was only ever up towards Xmas time as I understood
it so I believe it is just not being renewed.
There is some FA ruling that a player aged 23 can only be on
loan for so many days (93).
So if Forest were to keep him they would have to put an
offer in too buy him.
However as Leeds are looking for a new manager and Paul
Hart is one of the favourites for the job, the Forest Chairman
will not be letting Hart do any deals for the time being, especially
with Leeds I would imagine.
He wants to stay at Forest though, there is an article in the
Sun about it.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2003540360,00.html

pineapple stu
21/11/2003, 4:29 PM
According to the Indo today, Gordon Strachan is set to take over in the next couple of days.

Would be a remarkable coup if they got him, but Paul Hart going to Leeds (which won't happen by the sounds of things) would be good for McPhail alright.

Condex
21/11/2003, 6:41 PM
Don't rate him, he will never make a decent premiership player.

tricky_colour
21/11/2003, 9:46 PM
Originally posted by Condex
Don't rate him, he will never make a decent premiership player.

Forest would not pay the £750,000 Leeds wanted for him,
which is hardly a fortune.
He is a good passer of the ball, but far too much of the passing
is sideways.
I wonder what price Forest would want for Andy Reid?
Probably 10 times that price, I wouldn't let him go for chicken
feed.

petef
23/11/2003, 10:30 AM
Forest just dont have the money, they desperately want him to stay.

Slash/ED
23/11/2003, 12:23 PM
The thing that concerns me is his unbeliveble ability to make every Ireland squad going despite the fact he's useless.

sadloserkid
24/11/2003, 11:18 AM
McPhail is better than Colin Healy and he's (Healy) managed to win quite a few caps now!!! :confused:

Slash/ED
24/11/2003, 3:59 PM
Healys far better then McPhail. McPhail has had one good game in his entire career.

finlma
24/11/2003, 4:55 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Healys far better then McPhail. McPhail has had one good game in his entire career.

I'd really have to disagree. I make an effort to see as many Leeds games as possible and when McPhail was playing regularly he looked good. His only problem is that he's not tough enough but he can work on that.
As for Healy, there's no way he's better than McPhail and he definately would not cut it in the Premiership.

Slash/ED
24/11/2003, 5:05 PM
Originally posted by finlma
I'd really have to disagree. I make an effort to see as many Leeds games as possible and when McPhail was playing regularly he looked good. His only problem is that he's not tough enough but he can work on that.
As for Healy, there's no way he's better than McPhail and he definately would not cut it in the Premiership.

Healys cut it at international level McPhail has not. Despite his recent few poor games you can't deny he looked more then capable of playing at this level when on form, McPhail never did and injuries have killed any chance he ever had. McPhail is useless, worse then Doherty even, Healy can still produce the kind of form he did before last summer.

sadloserkid
25/11/2003, 10:18 AM
Healys cut it at international level

That's highly debatable. Playing well against Georgia and in a handful of friendlies hardly qualifies as 'cutting it' unless you're a bit blinkered.

finlma
25/11/2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
That's highly debatable. Playing well against Georgia and in a handful of friendlies hardly qualifies as 'cutting it' unless you're a bit blinkered.

Well said. Healy hasn't really proved himself anywhere. He didn't at Celtic. He hasn't at Sunderland and he certainly hasn't for Ireland.

He may have put in one or two good performances for us but that was against poor oposition or in friendlies.

Slash/ED
25/11/2003, 5:14 PM

It's more then can be said for McPhail though.

Ozymandias
26/11/2003, 9:33 AM
bottom line..healy offers more than Mcphail...healy owould have been playing regularly for celtic last year only for an unfortunate incident and also the fact theat he wouldn't sign a new contract...He has been great for sunderland this year (according to sunderlad fans o their forum)

I think the best is yet to come from both players...hopefully it will and in the green.

finlma
26/11/2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
healy owould have been playing regularly for celtic last year only for an unfortunate incident and also the fact theat he wouldn't sign a new contract.

What was the unfortunate incident? Was it that Agathe, Lambert, Thompson and Lennon are better players, that certainly is unfortunate.
He left because he wasn't good enough to get picked.

Slash/ED
26/11/2003, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by finlma
What was the unfortunate incident? Was it that Agathe, Lambert, Thompson and Lennon are better players, that certainly is unfortunate.
He left because he wasn't good enough to get picked.

I reckon my dog is a better footballer then Neil Lennon, he is garbage. He left because he refused to sign a new contract.

sadloserkid
26/11/2003, 4:19 PM
I reckon my dog is a better footballer then Neil Lennon, he is garbage. He left because he refused to sign a new contract.

Well for starters if Lennon is garbage but Healy couldn't even displace him... see where I'm going with this one?

And Colin Healy left Celtic because they didn't feel he was worth a new contract, at least not one that satisified him. They made a token gesture to keep up, quite possibly because of his nationality but there were few tears shed at his departure. A string of persistent rumours about Healy and his er... hobbies I suppose didn't help either.

Slash/ED
26/11/2003, 4:22 PM
Well for starters if Lennon is garbage but Healy couldn't even displace him... see where I'm going with this one?

And Colin Healy left Celtic because they didn't feel he was worth a new contract, at least not one that satisified him. They made a token gesture to keep up, quite possibly because of his nationality but there were few tears shed at his departure. A string of persistent rumours about Healy and his er... hobbies I suppose didn't help either.

Miller can't displace Lennon either, I think O'Neil doesn't seem to want to drop him at all, like McCarthy and Kilbane/Harte. All I know about Healy at Celtic is he refused to sign a new contract and then didn't feature again, you can't judge him on his time there in any way shape or form. Look at Shay Given, who also left Celtic after barley featuring and, ironically enough, eventually ended up at Sunderland for a year.

Ozymandias
27/11/2003, 9:37 AM
There was an incident in a hotel room involving three celtic players..... (can't go it to it for obvious reasons ....It wasn't anything sexual or any others involved only the players) healy was done by association and all three players didn't play again for celtic because of it....Healy was in the wrong place at the wrong time but O'Neill had to act against all three.....It was kept quiet at celtic ..heard this from a guy in the know..but he did stress that healy was only in the room by chance and wasn't really involved but that cut no ice with O'Neill.

That is why he left Celtic and why he didn't play.....

John83
27/11/2003, 8:33 PM
There was an incident in a hotel room involving three celtic players..... (can't go it to it for obvious reasons ....It wasn't anything sexual or any others involved only the players) healy was done by association

I heard something along those lines too. No pun intended. Petta was a second player mentioned to me, but who was the third player you were told about?

Ozymandias
28/11/2003, 9:31 AM
yep petta is correct..the main culprit..third name I got is not deffo so won't mention it as the guy mightn't have been involved...

Anyways that is the reason Healy left Celtic..and not because of tsome of the ****e spoken above.

sadloserkid
28/11/2003, 10:18 AM
Oh cry me a river. Healy's name has been dragged through the mud on more occasions than just the one you're alluding to (albeit for lesser 'offences' if you want to call them such). Ever before any of this he wasn't getting near the Celtic team because he simply wasn't up to it. If he's as superb a player as some people here are alluding why was it Sunderland and not the cream of the Premiership who signed him (and that after a considerable spell when he was twiddling his thumbs in Cork because there was sod all interest). Healy's solid, nothing more. He's a younger version of Matt Holland at best.

Slash/ED
28/11/2003, 12:12 PM
Oh cry me a river. Healy's name has been dragged through the mud on more occasions than just the one you're alluding to (albeit for lesser 'offences' if you want to call them such). Ever before any of this he wasn't getting near the Celtic team because he simply wasn't up to it. If he's as superb a player as some people here are alluding why was it Sunderland and not the cream of the Premiership who signed him (and that after a considerable spell when he was twiddling his thumbs in Cork because there was sod all interest). Healy's solid, nothing more. He's a younger version of Matt Holland at best.

Because he turned down premiership clubs. It's been confirmed by himself, McCarthy and Villa confirmed they wanted him, Everton and Leeds were rumoured to be the others. Something to do with loyalty to McCarthy. Healy was near the Celtic team before his loan spell to Coventry and then didn't feature again, obviously I don't know but I'd imagine the baove had something to do with that.

Ozymandias
28/11/2003, 1:24 PM
sadloser...in your opinion you think Healy isn't up to it..thats fine... I just pointed out why he left celtic..that is a fact...not that he wasn't good enough..In My opinion I think he has a future at international level and is quality and this will shine through....
time will tell who was right or who was wrong..but unlike you I ain't gonna force my opinion on ya....

Oh ya... cry me a river me arse........grow up

sadloserkid
28/11/2003, 2:35 PM
but unlike you I ain't gonna force my opinion on ya....

Oh don't be so defensive for crying out loud. As you said I've expressed my opinion, there's no need to get upset because it doesn't happen to be the same as yours. And your reason for Healy leaving Celtic isn't a confirmed fact, it's an opinion that hasn't been officially confirmed by anybody. Healy is not a wide-eyed innocent by any stretch according to anybody I know from Glasgow. I will be the first to admit that this is hardly gospel but it's as verifiable as any of your sources. Football is about opinions after all but if you're going to be so thin-skinned I don't know why you bother with the internet. My criticism is of Healy and not you so lighten up a bit. I hope Healy develops into the next Maradona because it would be great for our national team but I don't rate him right now and I make no apology for it.

Are you Colin Healy by any chance? :D

And as an aside Slash/ED, Everton and Villa (who I sort of follow) are hardly the cream of the English Premier League. :)