PDA

View Full Version : Drogs New Manager

mcglinchey
03/02/2009, 7:31 PM
Have just heard that Alan Matthews is the new manager. Think there is a press conference tomorrow, Cork to sort out Matthews pay off first.

SeanDrog
03/02/2009, 7:40 PM
if true this is very interesting, personally I always admired him given I hated when we had to play his teams. He is well organised and appears to have gameplans (soemething doolo never had). I am surpised we can afford him given our new world so to speak.

As we are rebuilding we need a manager who can get results from limited resources and get the most from limited players - always felt he got that from Longford - perhaps longford fans could give a more up close appraisal?

Longfordian
03/02/2009, 8:00 PM
He had a few critics when here but even a lot of them with hindsight recognise he did a lot for us. I was always a big fan of his. He's an extremely professional individual and if he's willing to take the job on he'll do it to the very best of his ability. 95% of the players he's worked with would have the height of respect for him and would have no hesitation in playing for him again. Did a decent job with Cork too in my opinion. I know him a little and he'd be dying to get back into football, he's unemployed at present as far as I know.

Town Legend
03/02/2009, 8:01 PM
Is it definite he will be the new manager cos I seen elsewhere Jim Crawford been linked with it!!

Well on Mathews as everyone knows was our most successful manager. Always thought he was a good manager but really proved his worth in my opinion 2 years ago when he nearly kept us up with a thread bare squad that wasn't overly packed with great players. Only bad thing about him was he never really liked the local players so wouldn't hold my breath if I was a youth player at the club no matter how good you were!!

Would be the best appointment in my opinion if they did get him.

SeanDrog
03/02/2009, 8:05 PM
thanks for the feedback lads, looks like he would be a good appointment (if its true) - I see on our website www.droghedaunited.ie that a press conference is to be held tomorrow to unveil our new manager.

Longfordian
03/02/2009, 8:13 PM
I thought Gill would get that job but Alan Mathews is a much better choice in my opinion, if true of course. He'd be a lot cheaper than he was two years ago too.

micls
03/02/2009, 8:14 PM
Good choice for ye. Did best for us when the chips were down last year, think he works best in that scenario.

Surprised ye can afford him and it must be some wage cut.

Suppose he can live on the 50k bonus for winning the Setanta from his Arkaga contract.....

Came across as a gent too and very professional. Will be good to bring stability to you

tiktok
03/02/2009, 8:18 PM
That's just hilarious.
I assume it's part time and he's back with the bank, the 50k bonus for winning the Setanta will keep him ticking over.

Longfordian
03/02/2009, 8:18 PM
Good point actually micls he's a good man to unite the players as a group when times are tough. He did that with us in 2007 and we almost stayed up despite the 6 point deduction and when Cork were in Examinership he had them all pulling together, unlike Doolin in a similiar situation.

Dunny
04/02/2009, 11:20 AM
Mathews prepares to lead Drogheda into battle

2009-02-04 11:22:09

By Keith Wallace

Alan Mathews has been confirmed as the new manager of Drogheda United.
The former Longford Town and Cork City boss is faced with the unenviable task of leading the Boynesiders into the second leg of their own version of ‘The Great Escape’ in the coming months, after they safely emerged from examinership last week.
With no players currently contracted at United Park, Mathews is in a race against the clock to prepare a squad for what is thought will be a Premier Division relegation battle. It is believed that his total playing budget per week will only be around €5,000, though that figure should leave the club competitive with other expected candidates for the drop, Galway United and Bray Wanderers.
As it stands, he has only ten days to circle the wagons for his first match in charge, which will be a mouth-watering Jim Malone Cup clash with local rivals Dundalk on Saint Valentine‘s Night. That meeting could have extra spice added to it in the coming days if Mathews chooses to call on any of the eight players released by the Lilywhites after their promotion from the First Division last November that are still available and interested in top flight football.
This is Matthews’ third job in football management. He took his first steps into coaching in 1998 when he assisted Dermot Keely - whom he played under at Longford in the early nineties - at Shelbourne. He would remain there for four years, during which period he played a role in the Reds winning the League and Cup double in 2000, and another Premier Division title in March 2002.
He was appointed to the Longford hot-seat less than four months later, and led the club to unprecedented success in knockout competition. The Dubliner guided the midlanders to four domestic cup finals in just two seasons, winning three of them, including two FAI Cups in 2003 and 2004.
He finally left Flancare Park 14 months ago following Longford's relegation from the top flight. That demotion was due largely to off-the-field problems, which saw the club deducted six points early on in the campaign.
Despite a brave effort to overcome that as the Midlanders went on a memorable run in the second-half of the season, Mathews very narrowly failed in his bid to save the club from the drop. They still ended the year with another FAI Cup final, however, they were unable to finish on a high as they lost out by a single goal to Cork City.
Ironically, just five weeks later, Mathews was unveiled as the new boss of Cork City after Damien Richardson’s services were dispensed with despite that cup win. However, once again, Mathews’ task was made nigh on impossible by issues beyond his control, as the Leesiders were deducted ten points and lost their top scorer Dave Mooney as a result of being forced into examinership.
In the end, the 43-year-old brought home a Setanta Sports Cup to Turners Cross and only just missed out on a European qualification spot in the league. However, in a shock development in early December, Mathews was removed from his position as manager, with Cork citing financial constraints as the primary reason for his departure.
During his playing career, incidentally, Mathews spent time at Drogheda in the mid-eighties, as well as lining out for Saint Patrick’s Athletic, Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Galway, Bray, Kilkenny City and Longford.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1226/

blackholesun
04/02/2009, 11:30 AM
>That meeting could have extra spice added to it in the coming days if Mathews chooses to call on any of the eight players released by the Lilywhites

Id say Jamie Duffy and Ian Ryan will be among his first signings ...

bhs

Longfordian
04/02/2009, 11:37 AM
Jamie Duffy has been training with us and some had suggested he had signed but it hasn't been confirmed so I'd say if he gets an offer from Drogheda he'll take it. Ian Ryan is no great shakes though, or at least he wasn't when with us in 2007. I suppose he has to get a squad together quickly though. It was actually five cup finals he got us into as well. We lost to Pats in the League Cup Final in 2003. Should have won that one as well.

Louth4sam
04/02/2009, 11:39 AM
an Ryan is no great shakes though, or at least he wasn't when with us in 2007. I suppose he has to get a squad together quickly though.

Did ok at the start for us but made a few mistakes in and didn't get a look in for the second half of season. Definitely not premier standard in my opinion but might improve as he is still young.

shep
04/02/2009, 11:47 AM
A good appointment,you could do a lot worse than sign some of our released players...is Crowley still available?? And i would reckon Neil Gallagher will be trying to get fixed up with them also.

Celdrog
04/02/2009, 12:21 PM
That's just hilarious.
I assume it's part time and he's back with the bank, the 50k bonus for winning the Setanta will keep him ticking over..........
.............. Until he gets his compo for the last 2 years of his contract down south.

I really though it was going to be John Gill, but Alan Matthews is a great appointment. Cork and Drogs swapping managers :eek::D

oriel
04/02/2009, 12:32 PM
Surprising move ok, maybe he`s going back to the bank f/t and working drogs on a p/t role, cant imagine he`s on mega bucks at utd park

But good luck to him - decent manager - he has a tough job though

iceman
04/02/2009, 1:02 PM
That's just hilarious.
I assume it's part time and he's back with the bank, the 50k bonus for winning the Setanta will keep him ticking over.
Says he is still on a career break from Ulster Bank.

Longfordian
04/02/2009, 1:09 PM
Ulster Bank are shedding a load of jobs as well so I'd say he might be looking to football to earn a living for the next while. Though he'd have to get a redundancy from the bank if they were to seek to let him go when his break is up.

prince20
04/02/2009, 1:09 PM
Any word on who is working with him as his assistant? Just heard a name but dont want to start speculating............

iceman
04/02/2009, 1:12 PM
Any word on who is working with him as his assistant? Just heard a name but dont want to start speculating............
He said at the press conference that he has spoken to two individuals about this and will make a decision over the next few days.
Sure give us the name anyway:D

Sam_Heggy
04/02/2009, 1:17 PM
Drogheda budget is over double that of Harps this year, I wonder should we consider screwing over our creditors too?

adamd164
04/02/2009, 2:26 PM
i actually think this appointment is quite funny, the ultimate cheque-book manager now working under a severly restricted budget!! ha hilarious, it should be funny and matthews will finally be shown up for the spoofer that he is which is not a bad thing
Eh? Ultimate cheque book manager? You've got that one arseways.
He had pennies at Longford and did well. He didn't make efficient use of the cheque book when given it here.

Rocky77
04/02/2009, 2:33 PM
Nor when he had it here. He gave out some ridiculous contracts circa 04 and 05 when there was a few quid in the kitty. When funds are low, he seems to be at his best.

passerrby
04/02/2009, 3:17 PM
I would wonder what the overall budget is for this season i assume its acceptable to licensing otherwise it would have been refused. anyway i think they will compete well in the first div under mattews

Sam_Heggy
04/02/2009, 3:23 PM
I would wonder what the overall budget is for this season i assume its acceptable to licensing otherwise it would have been refused. anyway i think they will compete well in the first div under mattews

The quote in one of the posts said €5k per week budget.

Also on your last sentence, do you know something the rest of us don't?

shep
04/02/2009, 3:28 PM
In a seperate piece on extratime.ie,Matthews indicates he is preparing for premier divison life,the vibes coming from Drogheda are the same,was talking to their kitman the other day and he reckons they should be ok from what he has heard.

Part of me hopes they stay up for the Derbies and rivalry,but i cant say i think its fair if they do.

passerrby
04/02/2009, 3:43 PM
The quote in one of the posts said €5k per week budget.

Also on your last sentence, do you know something the rest of us don't?

dont expect that firgure includes management and nope just sarcasm

Drogman.
04/02/2009, 3:59 PM
dont expect that firgure includes management and nope just sarcasm

I would expect that figure to include management.

passerrby
04/02/2009, 4:48 PM
fair play then althought still high a vast improvement

Drogman.
04/02/2009, 5:01 PM
fair play then althought still high a vast improvement

Well compared to last year, it's a massive improvement.

Looking forward to this season now. Fresh start with the team, manager, club, everything.

In a way it's like having a completely new club now.

Celdrog
04/02/2009, 5:40 PM
i actually think this appointment is quite funny, the ultimate cheque-book manager now working under a severly restricted budget!! ha hilarious, it should be funny and matthews will finally be shown up for the spoofer that he is which is not a bad thingNot half as funny as the balls you made of your post:D

Poor Student
04/02/2009, 5:58 PM
i actually think this appointment is quite funny, the ultimate cheque-book manager now working under a severly restricted budget!! ha hilarious, it should be funny and matthews will finally be shown up for the spoofer that he is which is not a bad thing

I think he's a very astute appointment and exactly the type of manager Drogheda need currently. Considering that Cork and Drogheda have essentially swapped managers I know who I'd rather have at the helm. You only have to look at both managers' respective records at smaller clubs.

Celdrog
04/02/2009, 7:23 PM
II know who I'd rather have at the helm. You only have to look at both managers' respective records at smaller clubs.As a UCD fan would the answer be "anybody but Doolin"?

Town Legend
04/02/2009, 7:52 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him re-united with Aaron Callaghan.

micls
04/02/2009, 8:03 PM
As a UCD fan would the answer be "anybody but Doolin"?

As a Cork fan, I'm with him

Poor Student
04/02/2009, 8:14 PM
As a UCD fan would the answer be "anybody but Doolin"?

Yes, but I think the appointment is good in its own right.

Longfordian
04/02/2009, 8:15 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him re-united with Aaron Callaghan.

Appointed as Assistant Manager in Bray apparently.

DmanDmythDledge
04/02/2009, 8:17 PM
Appointed as Assistant Manager in Bray apparently.
Not according to this (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1098054&postcount=15).

ndrog
04/02/2009, 8:18 PM

the ultimate cheque-book manager ! ha ha classic .Please elaborate :rolleyes:

Longfordian
04/02/2009, 8:24 PM
Not according to this (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1098054&postcount=15).

Fair enough, that's just what I had heard from someone in our club. I don't know where they heard it. Not too important anyhow!.

Town Legend
04/02/2009, 8:26 PM

Ha Ha I found that quote hilarious!!! We weren't exactly loaded down in Flancare when he was manager. He just had a way of finding lads coming back from England like Ferguson, Dillon, Gartland, Paisley and mixing them with players who other clubs didn't want!!! I think Lucanhoop might have a bit of jealousy there cos it was Mathews who signed Mooney for the Town from Rovers!!!!;)

IMO great appointment for Drogheda.

micls
04/02/2009, 8:34 PM
Lucanhoops must be convincing Mathews with someone else. he doesnt really know how to spend money, but is fantastic in a tight situation rallying the troops.

Did best with us(and played the best football Ive seen Longford play under him) when the money was gone and the odds stacked against him

WindmillWarrior
05/02/2009, 8:25 AM
F*ckin delighted to have Mathews, And to have rid of Doolin, and to see him go to Cork into the bargain, it just couldnt be better!

ndrog
05/02/2009, 7:41 PM
I know nothing of the money he spent but some of what you say comes across as nonsense , especially longford town having loads of money .What players did he sign that were on big money ? who ? As for his drive , his comments since coming to us have been absolutely spot on .He wants to survive and talks about players coming to play football and not coming for money, obviously because there is none .

Town Legend
05/02/2009, 9:48 PM
I wouldn't pass much heed on Lucanhoop. No one in Longford was on huge money. The club never had much money in the first place so he's talking a bit of garbage!!! Every year since Longford have been in the league and not having much money even in Kenny's era. Nearly every club in Ireland have or had money problems so don't know where he's coming from!!!

Jicked
05/02/2009, 11:36 PM
Ah, another reason to hate Drogheda. Brilliant.

ndrog
06/02/2009, 11:30 AM
bring on the hate ! we dont give a fcuk :D