03/02/2009, 3:03 PM
Bray at home on Monday 23rd February.

Galway and Derry away, dates TBC.

DRDoc
03/02/2009, 3:27 PM
Away to Derry on Saturday Feb 28th, 7pm

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 3:39 PM
How do you know that when the club doesn't?!

The Lilywhites
03/02/2009, 3:53 PM
Tis on the Derry website http://derrycityfc.net/season/08/news/displaystory.php?storyid=436

Do keep up Stu ;)

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 3:56 PM
Maybe it shouldn't be on the Derry site yet. ;)

(But the club have literally confirmed it to me now, having said TBC half an hour ago)

Home to Pat's on Monday 9th at 7:45 too.

The Lilywhites
03/02/2009, 4:02 PM
At last, you're first with something. I think. :)

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 4:03 PM
Apart from stories of clubs' impending financial meltdown, you mean. ;)

pineapple stu
04/02/2009, 4:38 PM
Galway game is on 21st Feb at the Marriott Hotel, Enfield 2pm. I have no idea where that is, but I'm away that weekend anyway.

DmanDmythDledge
04/02/2009, 5:13 PM
Galway game is on 21st Feb at the Marriott Hotel, Enfield 2pm. I have no idea where that is, but I'm away that weekend anyway.
County Meath.

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought alright, except - why?!

John83
06/02/2009, 5:55 PM
Maybe it coincides with some league meeting and they're just making the most of it.

braysnumber1
08/02/2009, 2:49 PM
is the game v pats still on tomoro?

pineapple stu
08/02/2009, 5:15 PM
Assume so. Will have to check see tomorrow. Depends on what snow falls overnight.

Dodge
09/02/2009, 9:10 AM
Any update lads?

pineapple stu
09/02/2009, 9:48 AM
Checking now; will let you know.

Edit - game's off; Bowl is unplayable. (At least to the extent that it's not worth risking it for a friendly).

HarpoJoyce
09/02/2009, 8:46 PM
UCD and St.Pats played a friendly in Crumlin.

pineapple stu
10/02/2009, 8:55 AM
UCD and St.Pats played a friendly in Crumlin.
I suppose it does belong in the rumours section!

Lost 2-1; Glen Fitz scored both for Pat's. Enda Stevens played the full 90 for them. Apparently their keeper blundered for our goal (equaliser) from our only real chance, but I was expecting at least a 3-0 defeat, so I'm happy enough with the outcome. Only player I know played for us was Finn, who was either the best player on the park or no better than any of the Pat's youngsters, depending who you listen to.

Dodge
10/02/2009, 8:58 AM
I made that "no better" Finn comment. He was Ok but not outstanding in any way (nobody on either team was to be fair). Only UCD player I recognised, sorry

DmanDmythDledge
12/02/2009, 7:37 PM
What team did we put out?

pineapple stu
13/02/2009, 2:13 PM
No idea. Finn scored, that's all I know.

HarpoJoyce
13/02/2009, 2:19 PM
No idea. Finn scored, that's all I know.

It's okay pineapple,you posted that the match was OFF. You've said enough already.

pineapple stu
13/02/2009, 2:47 PM
You can take it up with the club if you've got a problem with it.

HarpoJoyce
13/02/2009, 10:14 PM
Foster's Avenue pitch 13:00
Saturday 14th February
UCD : Shamrock Rovers

The love affair continues.

(Source very close to the club).

pineapple stu
15/02/2009, 10:04 AM
Finn, Bolger and Rocco all played v Pat's. The McMillans didn't as they were on collegiate duty.

Poor Student
15/02/2009, 1:41 PM
According to the SRFC ultras forum we drew 1-1. We went 1-0 up in the first half and Shane Robinson equalised in the second.

I haven't seen either match and I know a great deal of stock can't be placed in pre-season friendlies but at least we're not hammered by teams a division above us.

HarpoJoyce
15/02/2009, 1:59 PM
According to the SRFC ultras forum we drew 1-1. We went 1-0 up in the first half and Shane Robinson equalised in the second.

I haven't seen either match and I know a great deal of stock can't be placed in pre-season friendlies but at least we're not hammered by teams a division above us.

Yes for me with friendlies, the squad and performance are more important than the result.

What other published friendlies are there I understand
Saturday 21 Feb. Galway Utd. : UCD Marriott Hotel, Enfield Co. Meath 14:00
Monday 23 Feb UCD : Bray Wanderers UCD Bowl 19:45
Saturday 28th Feb. Derry City : UCD (Derry venue) 19:00

are there any others and is all the above list correct?

pineapple stu
15/02/2009, 4:01 PM
Rocco scored.

DeNiro
16/02/2009, 7:46 PM
Anyone any idea of UCD line-up v Rovers from Saturday?

pineapple stu
18/02/2009, 2:30 PM
Nope. Game was very short notice, so not sure if anyone went.

Poor Student
21/02/2009, 3:20 PM
Got a text from Harpo to say we lost 2-0 to Galway. He says Ward and Finn played well.

HarpoJoyce
22/02/2009, 6:40 AM
Ger Barron (1st half) Billy Brennan (2nd Half), 2. Sean Harding, 3. Gareth Matthews, 4. John Dineen, 5. Andy Doyle, 6. Greg Bolger,7. Keith Ward, 8. Peter McMahon, 9. Dave McMillan, 10 Ronan Finn 11. John Reilly.

UCD started the brighest with Ronan Finn having a clean shot straight at the 'keeper. UCD continued to play the ball through midfield and had another shot blocked before John 'Rocco' Reilly ended a good run on the left-wing with a near post shot. Galway were being given alot of space in the UCD box and after a couple of headers, Ger Barron had to save and Galway's number 5 scored from the corner.
Later in the half a run into the UCD box ended with a tap on the ankle and an impressive dive, although there was alot of air. Declan Edwards on-loan from Stockport County scored the peno.

The second half continued with Ronan Finn controlling alot of what UCD did. One strong run, ball out to ward on the left he beat his man and his far post cross was headed into the arms of the Galway 'keepe.
New signing, tall forward Ciaran Kilduff was a second half sub. and he held the ball up but was closed down quickly by the Galway defence.

Cheers to the Galway Utd. fans that made the game, they were in good form.

(As Poor Student posted, I mentioned Finn and Ward in my earlier text because I knew I had a good chance of spelling their names right.)

HarpoJoyce
23/02/2009, 9:31 PM
UCD: 1. Ger Barron (1st half)/ Billy Brennan (2nd half), 2. Sean Harding, 3. James Timmons 4. Brian Connaughton 5. Andy Doyle 6. Greg Bolger 7. Keith Ward 8. Ronan Finn 9. Ciaran Kilduff 10. Chris Mulhall 11. John Reilly Subs Ciaran Nangle, M. Kelly (maybe Michael but I didn't recognise him), Paul O'Connor, Niall Daly.

Bray presented a strong test for UCD. UCD's midfeilfers and defence were the busiest on the night. Romero for Bray scored direct from a free kick. UCD could have taken the lead early in the first half.
The game was pretty quiet for much of the first half and all of the second. Kilduff scored the equaliser for UCD at the death.
Paddy Kavanagh and Darren Forsyth as sub. played for Bray.
(1-1)

pineapple stu
24/02/2009, 10:34 AM
Interesting team.

Presume there's some others (like the McMillans) unavailable this week with the Collingwood on.

Poor Student
01/03/2009, 9:47 AM
According to Pineapple we lost 1-0 to Derry with a last minute winner.

We finished the pre-season with two draws and three defeats. It's always going to be tougher in the First when you're main option for opponents are going to be Premier Division sides. Still, we received no hammerings and from the accounts I've read or heard we seem to have performed well enough. Hopefully the sterner opposition will have set us up nicely for Limerick next Friday.

pineapple stu
01/03/2009, 5:09 PM
Doherty, Eddie, Mark McChrystal, Clive, Pizza, Liam Kearney, Barry, Ruairi Higgins, Gareth McGlynn, Mark Farren and Sammy Morrow.

Subs Used James McClean for Mark McChrystal, CiarĂ¡n Martin for Higgins, Scullion for McGlynn, Stewart for Kearney

Derry's team from their forum - pretty much full strength. Happy enough with a 1-0 defeat in those circumstances. Sounds an awful game from their posts; no shots after half an hour anyway.

Edit - quote from the Derry forum

Use looked energetic, full of running and well organised. We found it hard to break use down whether that was due to it being a friendly and lack of urgency, who knows but we will know come Friday. Use only played one up front and offered nothing as an attacking force, we had all the position it was attack against defence sort of game. The usual when UCD visit the Brandywell.
Same old, same old so! :)

DmanDmythDledge
02/03/2009, 6:24 PM
UCD: 1. Ger Barron (1st half)/ Billy Brennan (2nd half), 2. Sean Harding, 3. James Timmons 4. Brian Connaughton 5. Andy Doyle 6. Greg Bolger 7. Keith Ward 8. Ronan Finn 9. Ciaran Kilduff 10. Chris Mulhall 11. John Reilly Subs Ciaran Nangle, M. Kelly (maybe Michael but I didn't recognise him), Paul O'Connor, Niall Daly.

Bray presented a strong test for UCD. UCD's midfeilfers and defence were the busiest on the night. Romero for Bray scored direct from a free kick. UCD could have taken the lead early in the first half.
The game was pretty quiet for much of the first half and all of the second. Kilduff scored the equaliser for UCD at the death.
Paddy Kavanagh and Darren Forsyth as sub. played for Bray.
(1-1)
Pretty good report from extratime.
http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11261/2/

John83
02/03/2009, 6:32 PM
Same old, same old so! :)
A first division side consisting largely of kids yet to make senior competitive debuts, in the Brandywell. We should have gone 3-4-3 and pinned them back into their own box, right? :rolleyes:

HarpoJoyce
02/03/2009, 7:19 PM
Pretty good report from extratime.
http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11261/2/

DmanDmythDledge thanks for that.
Going by the lineup at the bottom it was the author I took our line-up from.
I let him know some of the queries but I suppose if we have a Timmons in the side he wanted to introduce a 'Kenny'.

For the record there's the line-up versus Galway Utd. on this thread also.
After Edit:
It was brave of him to go with the first names anyway.