PDA

View Full Version : 3 Brazilians

razor
03/02/2009, 1:08 PM
From todays Evening Echo
“Of far more importance to the club and the fans is that we have three young Brazilians coming in tomorrow for a 10-day trial period. “We have a centre-half, a midfielder and a striker coming in from Rio de Janerio,” said Coughlan, who negotiated the deal with one of his business contacts in South America.

Doolin also has three other newcomers on trial at City. Finnish defender Mathias Kullstrom, Latvian striker Gunter Silagallis and English midfielder Levis Reid from Oxford United all trained with the first team squad.

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 1:11 PM
Hmm. From reading Alex Bellos' book, there's a decent trade in sending crap Brazilians abroad purely because clubs love to brag about having a Brazilian on their books. Wonder if this lot'll be any good?

Dodge
03/02/2009, 1:16 PM
Pats had a couple a few years ago. One made a single appearance in the league. he's playing in serie C now apparently. The other guy just played fir the u21s

Rio Branco was the club in Sao Paulo that loaned them to us.

Longfordian
03/02/2009, 1:33 PM
We've had a few on trial over the years, we never signed any of them. As stu says, there's a lot of crap Brazilians go on trial all over Europe every year. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Ash
03/02/2009, 1:51 PM
Theres a few of them playing for Lisnamult Celtic in the Roscommon League!

pete
03/02/2009, 2:36 PM
Remains to be seen if they will be any better than the Bulgarians from years ago. Hopefully Doolin learnt his lesson with Thiam.

Nice weather for their arrival :D

Ash
03/02/2009, 2:49 PM
Remains to be seen if they will be any better than the Bulgarians from years ago. Hopefully Doolin learnt his lesson with Thiam.

Nice weather for their arrival :D

Our Hungarians didnt last long either.

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 3:01 PM
Mullingar Town anyone?

Or was it Mullingar Athletic?

Martinho II
03/02/2009, 7:11 PM
Mullingar Town anyone?

Or was it Mullingar Athletic?

mullingar town stu!

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 7:49 PM
Cheers!

At UCD, we don't know much about crap Brazilians. :cool:

Scrufil
03/02/2009, 8:14 PM
Cheers!

At UCD, we don't know much about crap Brazilians. :cool:

Ha! Was it Socretes ye wouldn't let play for UCD because he smoked??

Pablo Escobar
03/02/2009, 9:15 PM
Rumours around that one of these guys has played all underage levels for Brazil.

Dodge
03/02/2009, 9:55 PM
Rumours around that one of these guys has played all underage levels for Brazil.

yeah, there's always that rumour...

Pablo Escobar
04/02/2009, 7:29 AM
yeah, there's always that rumour...

Yes, hence me saying it, although the guy saying it is almost always right!

razor
04/02/2009, 7:45 AM
although the guy saying it is almost always right!Never trust a politician.

Pablo Escobar
04/02/2009, 8:05 AM
Never trust a politician.

Very good. :D

pineapple stu
04/02/2009, 9:07 AM
Never heard that one. Back when all that was supposed to have happened, smoking wouldn't have been a problem.

He's never been to Ireland, he says. The link is on the UCD wiki page. But it's still a fun story.

A face
04/02/2009, 11:56 AM

I thought that was Shels. And he was in Dublin studying to be a doctor or something wasn't it?

pineapple stu
04/02/2009, 12:06 PM
There's lots of stories (RCSI in the Collingwood too) because, as I just noted, none of it ever happened.

A face
04/02/2009, 12:55 PM
There's lots of stories (RCSI in the Collingwood too) because, as I just noted, none of it ever happened.

Where did it start from though? Did someone just make it up out of thin air 'á la Herald'?

pineapple stu
04/02/2009, 12:58 PM
No idea. I know the FAI have run with it though.

superfrank
04/02/2009, 1:36 PM
Hmm. From reading Alex Bellos' book, there's a decent trade in sending crap Brazilians abroad purely because clubs love to brag about having a Brazilian on their books. Wonder if this lot'll be any good?
Exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title. Just hope the agent's name isn't Fábio Menezes.

Anybody remember Everaldo that used to play for Dungannon?

They also had another South American at the time, Delgado I think. Both were pretty poor from what I remember.

HarpoJoyce
04/02/2009, 2:02 PM
Where did it start from though? Did someone just make it up out of thin air 'á la Herald'?

He studied Medicine at RSCI.

pineapple stu
04/02/2009, 3:35 PM
No he didn't. Read the thread.

Pablo Escobar
04/02/2009, 3:56 PM
Anybody remember Everaldo that used to play for Dungannon?

Everaldo played against us a few times. Nice little player.

Scrufil
04/02/2009, 9:27 PM
http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/socrates.html

This next link shows that he did become a fully qualified Doctor:

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/02/reports-of-socc.html

I remember reading about Socrates in Shoot magazine years ago. He did study as a medical student in Ireland. As far as I can remember Eoin Hand was the manager of that UCD side who refused to let him play. Or it could have been Tony O'Neill (?) as I think Hand managed Limerick back then. It was one of the lads who ended up involved in the Irish International set-up.

tiktok
05/02/2009, 6:59 AM
http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/socrates.html

This next link shows that he did become a fully qualified Doctor:

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/02/reports-of-socc.html

I remember reading about Socrates in Shoot magazine years ago. He did study as a medical student in Ireland. As far as I can remember Eoin Hand was the manager of that UCD side who refused to let him play. Or it could have been Tony O'Neill (?) as I think Hand managed Limerick back then. It was one of the lads who ended up involved in the Irish International set-up.

None of that shows that he studied in Ireland, they just claim that he studied medicine.
The man himself has stated he's never been to ireland, hasn't he.
It's a great story, but it doesn't appear to have even a grain of truth to it.

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 11:01 AM
The man himself has stated he's never been to ireland, hasn't he.
Yes, although the link is dead now. He basically said "I've never been to Ireland"

I e-mailed Garforth Town when he played there to ask, and they actually referred me back to the exact same link. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B3crates) notes that he was with the Botafogo first team from 1974 to 1978, around when you'd imagine he'd be studying in Ireland (although it also notes he plays for us, so you should never trust wikipedia!). The myth will continue, unfortunately. People like to believe these things.

Eóin Hand was never manager of UCD.

Scrufil
05/02/2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah pineapple stu you are right about Eoin Hand, I'm never great at remembering who managed who as there are many changes down through the years. Sorry about that hiccup!:o The main point I was trying to make is that I read about this in what was regarded as a soccer bible of the day Shoot magazine and not an unfounded online report. The story that I remember says that he never played for UCD because as a medical student he was told he shouldn't smoke too much. I came across another website and there is a claim on it that currently there is a book being written about the great Brazilian Socrates, and there it also says he was a medical student in Ireland so perhaps through the book, if it ever comes out, we may gain the truth. I think the question might have been asked had he ever played soccer in Ireland and the answer to this would have been no. I would be surprised though if he has never been in Ireland.

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 12:14 PM
The "unfounded online report" was a UCD fan asking Alex Bellos - an authority on Brazilian football and author of Futebol - the Brazilian way of Life, who asked Socrates himself, who said he'd never been to Ireland. The fact that he's since let his site die is irrelevant. UTV Teletext and the Guardian both give a random FAI official as their source - does that count as founded?

Why would you be surprised if a Brazilian had never visited a fairly insignificant island on the far reaches of Europe?

I'd love it to be true obviously, but we have that he was with Botafogo in the Brazilian league from the age of 19. Why would he leave Brazil to come to Ireland to study medicine for one year tops and then suddenly be spotted by Brazilian football scouts, who almost immediately put him into the first team of a large enough club? Doesn't add up. And why would we not be trumping this out loud to improve our profile? I've programmes from both Everton games in 1984, less than ten years after the supposed event, which would be a perfect moment to trot out that little tid-bit, but nothing. Most people in the club know nothing about it; one or two have heard it in "duirt bean liom go nduirt bean lei" fashion and have no idea for sure if it's true or not.

Scrufil
05/02/2009, 12:25 PM
If you scroll down this long page to the Dublin's Intercultural Inner City bit you will see that Socrates was invited to speak here a while back. I don't know if he came or not though. Besides Ireland hosts alot of International conferences about sports medicine and he seems to be a leading light in this context aside from any soccer issues.

http://www.dicp.ie/dicp_autumn_2006.htm

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 12:31 PM
The question was posed in 2004.

Scrufil
05/02/2009, 1:06 PM
The point about when the question was posed may be a valid one but you will never get me to agree that Ireland is 'a fairly insignificant island on the far reaches of Europe'. There are links between Ireland and Brazil back though history and I'm sure anyone there who has learned the subject might have an interest in seeing Ireland. Socrates in a learned man.

I do not know for sure if the tale about Socrates is true or not but I do know that I read it in what was regarded as the soccer bible of the times -Shoot. This was before the internet came to Ireland and back in the days when a home PC was an Amstrad or a Spectrum. It would be nice to be a journalist so I could find the sources that would enable me to get to the root of the truth of this saga.

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 1:27 PM
There are links between Ireland and Brazil back though history
There's links between Ireland and the Faroe Islands going back through history; have you ever visited them? Now imagine how less likely you would be to visit if they were on the other side of the world and you were a professional footballer.

In the greater scheme of things, Ireland is insignificant. Your view is biased because you're here. Up to the 1970s, it was one of the poorest, most backward countries in the developed world.

Scrufil
05/02/2009, 2:10 PM
In the greater scheme of things, Ireland is insignificant. Your view is biased because you're here. Up to the 1970s, it was one of the poorest, most backward countries in the developed world.

Now you are just being downright insulting with a statement like that. The level of one's money does not measure the wealth of a person nor its nation. I'd take Ireland in the pre 70's anyday over the current Fianna Fáil infested mess we are currently in. If you want to kick out all things Irish that are culture related and replace it with an Anglo-American agenda then ask that shower of politicians!:mad: As for your lofty 'greater scheme of things' I can smell the sh1te of you from here. Go get a real life!

Me personally I've never been outside Ireland in my life. I don't like to travel as I believe it just widens your circle of ignorance.

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 2:39 PM
I can smell the sh1te of you from here. Go get a real life!

Me personally I've never been outside Ireland in my life. I don't like to travel as I believe it just widens your circle of ignorance.
Glad to see the real you. Think we can move on from this topic now.

(Mods - feel free to bin)

noby
05/02/2009, 3:34 PM
So the real issue is why is Socrates denying he played for UCD?

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 3:39 PM
I thought that too, but then I realised he was in fact denying he'd ever been to Ireland. So whatever we've got, it's endemic to the whole country.

tiktok
05/02/2009, 8:09 PM
I'd take Ireland in the pre 70's anyday over the current Fianna Fáil infested mess we are currently in.

Since Cork City didn't come into existence until 1984, I strongly disagree.
Although there were 50,000 going to every Shamrock Rovers game.

Pablo Escobar
05/02/2009, 11:44 PM
Although there were 50,000 going to every Shamrock Rovers game.

All taxi drivers now I hear! ;)

HammerNThongs
06/02/2009, 9:30 AM

Dearie me...:rolleyes:

HammerNThongs
06/02/2009, 9:31 AM
So the real issue is why is Socrates denying he played for UCD?

I thought the real issues was 3 Brazilians on trial with Cork City?

Could be wrong though! :D

GenerationXI
06/02/2009, 9:57 AM
Now you are just being downright insulting with a statement like that. The level of one's money does not measure the wealth of a person nor its nation. I'd take Ireland in the pre 70's anyday over the current Fianna Fáil infested mess we are currently in. If you want to kick out all things Irish that are culture related and replace it with an Anglo-American agenda then ask that shower of politicians!:mad: As for your lofty 'greater scheme of things' I can smell the sh1te of you from here. Go get a real life!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA
:D

*GXI Picks himself up off the floor where he landed when confronted with sheer amazement that the Insel Affe can actually use a computer. (It's German if you wanna look it up, but be aware, it may stir up some latent wanderlust in you!)*

Ahem.

So how did those Brazilians - who are brilliant by virtue of their nationality -do?

I heard once that it was City who turned down Socrates - who, after all would try and get an education at a Dublin University!? :p

osarusan
06/02/2009, 10:07 AM
Limerick had a player once called Leonardo Trenchin (sp?). He was apparently brilliant, just because he was an Argentinean. He came on as a sub, did a fancy trick or two, then got absolutely nailed in a tackle, and was anonymous from then on. I never saw him again.

razor
06/02/2009, 10:17 AM
So how did those Brazilians - who are brilliant by virtue of their nationality -do? Rumour has it they arrived into Cork airport last night with their agent, they are probably freezing their proverbials off, as I type, in Bishopstown

GenerationXI
06/02/2009, 10:37 AM
Rumour has it they arrived into Cork airport last night with their agent, they are probably freezing their proverbials off as I type in Bishopstown

As I type in UCC the sun is splitting the rocks - explain that meteorologists!!! :confused:

This weather's sure to confuse them - it looks like home but it feels like Alaska. :D

jimhacker
06/02/2009, 12:21 PM
Rumour has it they arrived into Cork airport last night with their agent, they are probably freezing their proverbials off as I type in Bishopstown

You're typing in Bishopstown!

Where are the lads doing their freezing?

razor
06/02/2009, 1:13 PM
Where are the lads doing their freezing?
Bishopstown with myself this morning, Irish Bacon Slicers this afternoon :D