PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie Photodiary of the season

MariborKev
02/02/2009, 9:30 PM
Someone suggested this to me at the weekend and I thought it was worth investigating.

What about the combined number of foot.ie users and others coming together to produce a photobook of the 2009 season?

The idea would be that all League of Ireland fans interested in the project would document the season in pictures.
- Actions shots
- The fans
- Away Days
- Stadia
- Fan Displays
- Anything else to do with your club/ the League of Ireland

Any fan would be able to upload the shots to a flickr group account and then the best shots would go forward for inclusion in a book.

You don't have to be a professional, or even a talented amateur, but obviously the better the photos then the more chance of inclusion in the book.

The issue is that it would be a relatively small market(ie us lot) and therefore it would be prohibitively expensive to produce at a commercial level, but we can utilise a site like blurb.com in order to produce the books on a one off basis. Any money raised can go to something like funds for the Singing Section at Crokers or indeed a charity of choice.

For ideas on what I mean have a look at the boards.ie version(we'll not be at this level at year 1 obviously) http://www.blurb.com/books/401617

Views?

atfconline
02/02/2009, 9:53 PM
That's a quality book. :cool:

Réiteoir
02/02/2009, 10:19 PM
Good idea

How about also doing one of photos from down the years - I've got a shedload of images from the last few seasons covering the League

thischarmingman
03/02/2009, 9:26 AM
Great idea, I'd be well up for it.

A face
03/02/2009, 9:59 AM
I'd be up for it as well

Magicme
03/02/2009, 10:01 AM
Count us in.

Dodge
03/02/2009, 10:04 AM
Great idea. pats fans have produced a calander that last couple of years for charity. Shots of Pats fans on holiday with jersies/scarves.

I'd definitely advocate tha any monies raised go to charity. (Have a vote for shot of the year and the winner gets to choose the charoty)

Magicme
03/02/2009, 10:13 AM
Great idea. pats fans have produced a calander that last couple of years for charity. Shots of Pats fans on holiday with jersies/scarves.

I'd definitely advocate tha any monies raised go to charity. (Have a vote for shot of the year and the winner gets to choose the charoty)

Or because it is football related put into the Cormac McAnallen Fund for heart research. (before anyone bites my head off I know he was a GAA footballer but the research is beneficial to all)

Dodge
03/02/2009, 10:17 AM
In fairness magicme there are tons of worthy causes. I'd have no problem with your one but it shouldn't neccesarily go to the first one mentioned

Magicme
03/02/2009, 10:18 AM
In fairness magicme there are tons of worthy causes. I'd have no problem with your one but it shouldn't neccesarily go to the first one mentioned

True. Just a suggestion.

A face
03/02/2009, 11:29 AM
Bah humbug and all that but i think it should go to a sing section in Croker, or something where LOI fan benefit from it.

Dodge
03/02/2009, 11:34 AM
Bah humbug and all that but i think it should go to a sing section in Croker, or something where LOI fan benefit from it.

I'd be against this personally. Obviously only one opinion

A face
03/02/2009, 11:59 AM
I'd be against this personally. Obviously only one opinion

And me Dodge, just one opinion and i'd imagine most would say charity, which is cool.

For the record, what would people say about putting money towards a 'League of Ireland Infrastructure Civic Trust'

KevB76
03/02/2009, 12:26 PM
Excellent idea.

A few pictures of the build up to matches would be good too, like photos on route to away matches.
I have a few photos of the lads putting up the flags and banners before the 07 FAI 1/4 final at Longford, they are the ones I like best.

MariborKev
03/02/2009, 9:27 PM
Right lads,

Looks like this is a go-er.

One of the forum's top snappers, soccerc, already has a flickr group established, http://www.flickr.com/groups/leagueofireland/, so it seems sensible to us that.

This is for 2009 photos only, so get snapping at the pre season friendlies from this week onwards..... Perfect opportunity to get a few shots of half empty stadia in nice winter conditions:D

Reiteor has proposed an archive book of photos from recent seasons,so I am sure he will be along with the details. It might be an idea to upload photos for this idea to a group such as http://www.flickr.com/groups/league_of_ireland/ (if soccerc will let us ;) )

soccerc
03/02/2009, 10:30 PM
Right lads,

Looks like this is a go-er.

I have set up a new group on flickr, http://www.flickr.com/groups/loi2009

This is for 2009 photos only, so get snapping at the pre season friendlies from this week onwards..... Perfect opportunity to get a few shots of half empty stadia in nice winter conditions:D

Reiteor has proposed an archive book of photos from recent seasons,so I am sure he will be along with the details. It might be an idea to upload photos for this idea to a group such as http://www.flickr.com/groups/league_of_ireland/(if (http://www.flickr.com/groups/league_of_ireland/%28if) soccerc will let us ;) )

I've already set up http://www.flickr.com/groups/leagueofireland/ but no problem deleting it and going with yours.

MariborKev
03/02/2009, 10:47 PM
Seems more sensible to use your one JB.

I've updated the links.

jebus
03/02/2009, 11:02 PM
Great idea lads, should be fun anyway :)

El-Pietro
04/02/2009, 1:29 AM
sounds like a great idea

Réiteoir
04/02/2009, 9:13 AM
OK - I'll be setting up a Flickr Album this afternoon for people to submit their photos for inclusion in the archives publication.

Basically I'm looking for any photos from down the years - in any way connected with the League of Ireland - e.g. the ones Kev alludes to up there about the flags in Longford.

- Actions shots
- The fans
- Away Days
- Stadia
- Fan Displays
- Anything else to do with your club/ the League of Ireland
- Unusual photos in some way connected with the League (I have for example got a photo of an Athlone Town scarf and a Bohs jersey on proud display in a bar in Norway)

I'll post some photos to it this evening to give you a taste as to what I'll be looking for.

RonnieB
04/02/2009, 12:38 PM
I have a load of photos from over the years at Longford.

CameramanConka
04/02/2009, 2:24 PM
I've a ****load of stills taken from videos shot from over the years. I can also upload stills from any footage I shoot this season too.

Réiteoir
04/02/2009, 3:32 PM
Superb guys,
I'll be getting this sorted when I get in the house at about 5:15pm tonight

Réiteoir
04/02/2009, 4:48 PM
Here we go!

Site is now live at: http://www.flickr.com/groups/loiphotosarchive/

You need to upload photos to a Flickr account and then you are able to add them to the group above.

When uploading - can you specify details like:

What the photo is about
Which teams are involved
Which year it was taken

Eric
05/02/2009, 12:03 AM
Photo Diary is a great idea!!

I joined the flickr group so will fire up some shots as the season goes on.

Be a nice christmas present for someone!!

Réiteoir
07/02/2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks to all who have submitted photos for the Archive Gallery so far - some cracking photos in there already

Can I ask - if anyone has any other photos from down the years - could they add them to the pool there

Inside Man
08/02/2009, 9:53 AM
Great Idea!

What about a competition for the proceeds to go to a club for a fund for the construction of something in a ground. The club to be chosen could be someone like Mervue or something like that. Help the league to get good foundations. I know it won't raise that much but a donation to a lower league club would be in the interest of the league and all supporters. Kilkenny City is another club that could be donated to. Might help them get back into the league where they belong. Just an idea as we all want to see this league have better facilities an investment like that would be a good idea?
Just an idea. It may not raise anything but just wanted to mention it.

MariborKev
08/02/2009, 10:29 AM
Great Idea!

What about a competition for the proceeds to go to a club for a fund for the construction of something in a ground. The club to be chosen could be someone like Mervue or something like that. Help the league to get good foundations. I know it won't raise that much but a donation to a lower league club would be in the interest of the league and all supporters. Kilkenny City is another club that could be donated to. Might help them get back into the league where they belong. Just an idea as we all want to see this league have better facilities an investment like that would be a good idea?
Just an idea. It may not raise anything but just wanted to mention it.

Realistically it will raise a couple of hundred quid, so probably not a runner.

I'm hoping to get a few pictures of a snowy Brandywell today.

crc
08/02/2009, 10:31 AM
Good idea for a flickr group. However there are now three groups:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/loi2009/ (4 photos)
http://www.flickr.com/groups/loiphotosarchive/ (59 photos)
http://www.flickr.com/groups/league_of_ireland/ (1159 photos)

Which on is the real one? Probably the last one, but it would be good if someone could clarify. I have a good lot of photos from the last year or so.

atfconline
08/02/2009, 11:40 AM
If the last one is to be used, users will have to be contacted and asked if their images can be used. The images weren't uploaded with the intention of going into a book.

MariborKev
08/02/2009, 11:44 AM
In terms of this project, we are using the first and second links

http://www.flickr.com/groups/loi2009/

This is for photos from the 2009 season.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/loiphotosarchive/

This is for photos from all past seasons.

BohDiddley
08/02/2009, 1:17 PM
It's a pity the thing is split.

A face
09/02/2009, 12:37 PM
Whats the story if any newspapers try and use these photos though. Dont think i'd like the idea of the Herald or the Indo making money from them.

BohDiddley
10/02/2009, 11:43 AM
You want to stop the newspapers publishing pictures of the league? Do you want to keep it a secret?

Réiteoir
10/02/2009, 12:56 PM
I haven't a problem with anyone using any of the photos I've taken - as long as I'm credited in some way.

I'll whack on a copyright notice to the photo pool later tonight

John83
10/02/2009, 2:12 PM
I haven't a problem with anyone using any of the photos I've taken - as long as I'm credited in some way.

I'll whack on a copyright notice to the photo pool later tonight
You'll need to be careful there. What copyrights have people granted by uploading the photos? Are they in the public domain? Is the copyright transferred to whoever owns the Flikr account? Have they implicitly granted permission to you to publish the photos in a book, or will you have to add a notice to the group or even contact the uploaders individually? Flickr presumably has a policy. You might want to run it past a lawyer on here just to be on the safe side too (we have one posting, right?). You really don't want that book pulled because some arsewipe uploaded a photo and then decide he didn't give permission for you to include it in the book.

jebus
12/02/2009, 5:16 PM
pretty sure Flickr has their own rule whereby the poster of the photo has to be contacted to get permission. Not sure how legally binding any of that is though

For the record I'd have no problem with any of mine being used in the calender or book, I would have a problem with a newspaper taking one and using it without giving proper credit, so I'd be interested to know the legal issues here too

Magicme
13/02/2009, 11:50 AM
I was given a load of photos from down the years here the other day and have gotten permission to upload them. I will try get them up over the next few days if I can.

Réiteoir
13/02/2009, 12:27 PM
Superb Magicme

I have about 3 weeks doing absolutely nothing in March before I move to Oslo.

I'll put together a mockup of a book or calendar using the archive stuff then

soccerc
13/02/2009, 12:30 PM
What copyrights have people granted by uploading the photos?
None, everyone retains copyright to their own work.

Are they in the public domain?
No, Flickr accounts are not public domain

Is the copyright transferred to whoever owns the Flikr account? .
No, as before, everyone retains their own copyright. The group is not an account, it just references images from individual accounts. However, Flickr account holders have choices on the level of copyright when they upload.

Have they implicitly granted permission to you to publish the photos in a book, or will you have to add a notice to the group or even contact the uploaders individually?

Nobody has granted permission implied or otherwise. If and when the time comes to select images to use in the Photodiary book the individual copyright holder will be contacted and permission to reproduce sought. There are many Licensing and Copyright options available and nobody will be expected to give up their copyright.

atfconline
13/02/2009, 2:09 PM
Just as a reference point, the Boards book sold just over 200 copies, with a €5 mark up on each book making over €1,000 for charity.

jebus
16/02/2009, 7:19 PM
Any chance we could get this stickied maybe so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle during the season?

soccerc
05/03/2009, 5:39 PM
Don't forget the cameras tomorrow night

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3629/3330619761_435d594309_o.jpg

BillyG
05/03/2009, 6:14 PM
Just seen this now. I have disks somewhere in the house with photos of the SEI Pats displays from couple years ago. The ones the the well known (and missed) wws was involved in.

BillyG

Réiteoir
05/03/2009, 6:18 PM
If you could add those up when you find them Billy - would be much appreciated.

I'm going to make a start on the layout of the archives book in the next few days

BillyG
05/03/2009, 9:07 PM
Put a few up on archive one. Have others somewhere but only god knows where they are. Will keep looking :)

The ones i put up are quiet small file size and that will be something you would want to be aware of if you are going to try do a book. Sure soccerc will guide you :ball:

Dodgysnapper
05/03/2009, 9:42 PM
I have a pic in that boards book and if you want I can put a post on boards photosection pointing them to your two new flickr groups, There is a couple of guys who post there who are regular at loi, apart from Soccerc who shoots pats and myself who goes to Bohs and Derry matches and will be going to other games this year there is a regular at the cross a sporting fingal guy and a guy who shoots athlone, there may be more.

I will add some and have my own blog here http://dodgykeeper.wordpress.com/

MariborKev
12/03/2009, 7:12 PM
*Bump

Just to remind people to bring their cameras along to games tomorrow night.

If people would post this on respective individual club MB's that would be much appreciated as well.

The more participants, the better the project will be............

soccerc
12/03/2009, 7:40 PM
*Bump

Just to remind people to bring their cameras along to games tomorrow night.

If people would post this on respective individual club MB's that would be much appreciated as well.

The more participants, the better the project will be............

Will be at Rovers V Sligo tomorrow night

Westernblue
12/03/2009, 8:23 PM
Could any of the Finn Harps fans take a few photos of Ballybofey, outside especially, as I believe this is the last season before they move into the new stadium. Was working in Letterkenny last season and went to Shamrock Rovers game but I didnt have a camera with me. This lovely old style ground is worth capturing from all angles before its too late!