PDA

View Full Version : Trouble on Sunday

Gerry Desmond
25/09/2001, 10:27 AM
To take Kempes' earlier point, we are deluding ourselves big time if we place all blame on Rovers/Dubs fans for trouble at Turners Cross. There's a group of our own need little encouragement, to be fair.
That in no way, however, condones the response to the (stupid)taunt in the Horseshoe, or flinging a burning scarf at James, or the other reported incidents.
We have to get real here, there is trouble likely at any Cork-Dubs match (save UCD) in the Cross. I've seen it before, you've seen it before, we've all seen it before. There's definitely a yob element among the travelling fans, but a section of our own are more than ready to start hassle/aggrevation too.
We have scum in the Shed - we post here after almost every home game complaining about them. I've written several programme articles in the past denouncing them. I've written also about the foul abuse and taunting that goes on at games and was laughed at as a goodie two shoes. The taunting is intentionally provoking; this being so, why bother if you want to enjoy a game free from trouble? Supporters clubs should have a positive role here in showing all fans how to support a team properly instead of behaving like a bunch of clones hurling similar chants/abuse at each other with slightly altered 'lyrics'.
However, we are all to blame because nothing is ever done about it. We incorrectly assume that if we ignore them they will go away. Truth is, they won't. Not unless we do something about it.
It is pointless (though understandable) in the extreme to have City fans blaming Rovers/Bohs/Pats/whoever, or indeed Dubs blaming City fans in the aftermath of an 'event'. But it solves NOTHING.
I would suggest that responsible supporters clubs on both sides write to their respective Football Clubs, write to the opposing Football Club, the eircom League, the FAI and write to the Gardai. The letter(s) should be carefully considered and constructed and should insist that proper measures be taken in future to ensure the safety of genuine supporters intent on enjoying a football match.
Writing a letter may seem a naive thing to do, but from a legal perspective it places the onus of responsibility fairly on the organisers of the games who cannot subsequently claim to be unaware of incidents or that the incidents are not their responsibility. I would strongly urge all supporters groups to do this as soon as possible. There may be a role for NLU in this; maybe the SCs should write to the clubs etc through NLU.

I could say that there have been incidents at Rovers-City games in Dublin in the past, which there have Kempes, but what's the point? You'd post back wanting to know when was it and then we'd soon be into the 'your crowd started that' scenario once again, and back solving NOTHING. We can do NOTHING about what has already happened at any NL ground/game. We can only try to ensure such incidents do not happen again, if at all possible.
I would suggest that for this problem to be sorted out, and unfortunately it appears to be a growing problem on the evidence so far this season, that Supporters Clubs have to take a serious look at themselves and at the way the support their clubs. Football clubs will have to work with Supporters clubs if the problem is to be stopped. We are all kidding ourselves if we don't believe we have a role to play in this, or that the blame lies solely with someone else.

Gerry

pete
25/09/2001, 10:49 AM
IMO a lot of problems in the past have not been prevented if you know what I mean by stewards. Course this doesn't mean the events weren't going to happen in the first place

- $hels v Brondby: shels stewards allow their own fans to move down to the other end of the ground at halftime & taunt the away fans below them. can anyone be surprised when away fans get annoyed at plastic bottles been thrown at them? :rolleyes:

- City v rovers on sunday: stupid situation where home & away fans allowed to leave the ground at halftime to got to the pub! In that situation only needs 1 guy to push or throw a punch to start a melee.

Citymark
25/09/2001, 10:58 AM
I agree completely with what you say Gerry. I wasn't at the game on Sunday as I just returned from holidays, however I've been at previous Rovers games where some trouble occured. I think it is time that the whole safety/security situation be looked at, not just by CCFC/Rovers but the EL as a whole. There should be written guidlines in relation to stewarding/segregation and popping out for a pint at half time. The last thing we want is for the EL to get like UK of old. Banter and having a laugh is fine but knowing when to draw the line is another thing.

Gareth Williams
25/09/2001, 11:22 AM
I actuallly didn't see any trouble but I wasn't surprised in the slighest when I heard of it.

Once again though the Echo or the Examiner made absolutely no comment on the happenings off the pitch. These problems will continue if no-one 'publicises' it.

Typical Echo, ignore it and it'll go away.

niamh
25/09/2001, 12:29 PM
I agree with Gareth..of their was more publicity about it, City would be under more pressure to do something about the situation. By cutting the number of stewards on duty they are risking fans safety. Hopefully the the mention incidents will make them get their act together but I'm not holding my breathe...

Gerry Desmond
25/09/2001, 12:43 PM
The point you both make is valid. However, as a slight defence of De Paper, I would remind you that the Examiner/Echo made a really big deal out of the 'Shelbourne Bus' incident a few seasons ago and nothing much changed afterwards.
I've highlighted problems within the Shed before and invited the team captain/club chairman/supporters club chairman to take a stand on it. I got zero response.
I believe Supporters Clubs need to be pro-active in the situation as catalysts for change and Football Clubs have to grow up and accept that they are putting on a public event and are obliged to take every precaution necessary to ensure the safety of those attending the games and also those who happen to live nearby, or just be passing by.
They need to work together, and the onus is on BOTH to accept responsibility and seek solutions that are practical.
Gerry