PDA

View Full Version : The first IL club 'Credit Crunch' casualty.

Pages : [1] 2

Mr_Parker
02/02/2009, 11:41 AM
Feel sorry for their fans.

http://www.bangorfc.com/index2.asp

holidaysong
02/02/2009, 12:00 PM
How will this go down on Suffolk Road? :eek:

pineapple stu
02/02/2009, 12:17 PM
Says a lot when you can't afford to host Linfield and Glentoran twice.

gspain
02/02/2009, 12:39 PM
Says a lot when you can't afford to host Linfield and Glentoran twice.

and most of the away fans can walk to Clandeboye. :mad:

Steve Bruce
02/02/2009, 12:46 PM
Very dissapointing. I feel sorry for them

Mr_Parker
02/02/2009, 1:38 PM
How will this go down on Suffolk Road? :eek:

Not well I imagine. I'm am sure they have sympathy for the ordinary fan, but they must be questioning (again) the IFA process used that put Bangor above them in the rankings.

holidaysong
02/02/2009, 1:49 PM
Not well I imagine. I'm am sure they have sympathy for the ordinary fan, but they must be questioning (again) the IFA process used that put Bangor above them in the rankings.

Very similar to what happened when Galway were promoted ahead of us and we could only sit back and watch as they failed to live up to the hype..

I'd be (rightfully) fuming if I was a DCFC fan.

gufc2000
02/02/2009, 4:25 PM
Very similar to what happened when Galway were promoted ahead of us and we could only sit back and watch as they failed to live up to the hype..

I'd be (rightfully) fuming if I was a DCFC fan.
Bad form if dundalk fans still haven't got over us beating them to a place in the Premier. Its not easy to establish yourself in the premier. Seen as Galway failed 'to live up to the hype' lets sit back and watch Dundalk take the football world by storm.

Getting back to the original topic, i feel sorry fo Bangor and its supporters. They seemed to be doing quite well (mid-table in their 1st season back in the Premiership), so where did it all go wrong???

pineapple stu
02/02/2009, 4:27 PM
Evidently, they spent far too much money achieving this over-inflated position.

Graemerz
02/02/2009, 5:51 PM
Bangor deserved that position, more than DCFC. At least at Bangor provide a little shelter, decent standing area and toilet facilities. DC provide grass banks and no shelter and portaloos.

Bangor also have a better fanbase.

holidaysong
02/02/2009, 5:54 PM
Bangor deserved that position, more than DCFC. At least at Bangor provide a little shelter, decent standing area and toilet facilities. DC provide grass banks and no shelter and portaloos.

DCFC stayed up on merit though. That's my point. Other things like you mention are nice if you have them but shouldn't be used as a basis for judging clubs.

holidaysong
02/02/2009, 5:55 PM
Bad form if dundalk fans still haven't got over us beating them to a place in the Premier.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion to be honest.. :confused:

Seen as Galway failed 'to live up to the hype' lets sit back and watch Dundalk take the football world by storm.

Looking forward to it already. :)

gufc2000
02/02/2009, 7:38 PM
Never mind Donegal Celtic, Portadown should be the ones feeling aggrieved, kicked out of the league cos their licensing application was la15 mins late. I thought the FAI were bad.
Portadown have since shown that their worthy of a Premier place: Top of the IFA Championship and due to play Newry in the CIS Cup Final.

What's the story with regards to relegation now in the IFA Premiership and promotion in the IFA championship???

Graemerz
02/02/2009, 9:58 PM
Never mind Donegal Celtic, Portadown should be the ones feeling aggrieved, kicked out of the league cos their licensing application was la15 mins late. I thought the FAI were bad.
Portadown have since shown that their worthy of a Premier place: Top of the IFA Championship and due to play Newry in the CIS Cup Final.

What's the story with regards to relegation now in the IFA Premiership and promotion in the IFA championship???

I would suspect the winners of the Championship will replace Bangor (Providing they applied and were successful with their application). The runners up of the Championship will then play in a playoff with the team that finished bottom of the Premiership. (once again providing everything has been applied and successful).

AnnaghRed
02/02/2009, 10:14 PM
The whole thing has been a total and utter farce.

The only "positive" has been the decision to publish attendance figures and dont they make for depressing reading!

Graemerz
02/02/2009, 10:17 PM
The whole thing has been a total and utter farce.

The only "positive" has been the decision to publish attendance figures and dont they make for depressing reading!

But sure they are up by 11% :D

AnnaghRed
02/02/2009, 10:24 PM
(Providing they applied and were successful with their application). (once again providing everything has been applied and successful).

Bureaucracy and amateur fitba? Recipe for disaster, if you ask me.

Graemerz
02/02/2009, 10:38 PM
I'm all for the league having criteria. The league began a downward spiral when all sorts of silly clubs with a "field with a fence round it" grounds got into it while teams like Glenavon suffered.

AnnaghRed
02/02/2009, 10:47 PM
I'm all for the league having criteria. The league began a downward spiral when all sorts of silly clubs with a "field with a fence round it" grounds got into it while teams like Glenavon suffered.

The only criteria our league should have is the ability to cope with a 1000+ crowd twice a season.....Glenavon are just cursed :D hopefully they'll be calling for Quinns head before next xmas, though not before they've beaten the Ports in the play-off in may :(

Graemerz
02/02/2009, 11:50 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/bangorrsquos-decision-makes-life-easier-all-for-the-rest-14167502.html

AnnaghRed
03/02/2009, 12:23 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/bangorrsquos-decision-makes-life-easier-all-for-the-rest-14167502.html

50% of the criteria stated has got bugger all to do with what happens on the pitch.

Call me old-fashioned, but that should be where it matters most.

The nouveau fan though does seem more concerned about how close the nearest toilet is in relation to their comfortable seat.

Football really has become soccer :(

JerseyRed
03/02/2009, 12:48 AM
Indeed. And to be fair on DC they will be upgrading their ground soon. Ciould be playing some matches at solitude whilst the work goes on.

SolitudeRed
03/02/2009, 2:05 AM
Indeed. And to be fair on DC they will be upgrading their ground soon. Ciould be playing some matches at solitude whilst the work goes on.

Thats right we may be repaying the favour to DC well hopefully it doesn't come to that althought they've been talking about a new stand for ages and nothing much seems to have happened!

On the Bangor situation its a shame for their fans especially since they were doing well enough in the league but I don't know why they spent all that money on drugs testing facilities and all if they thought they wouldn't be able to stick life in the premiership.

Graemerz
03/02/2009, 12:43 PM
50% of the criteria stated has got bugger all to do with what happens on the pitch.

Call me old-fashioned, but that should be where it matters most.

The nouveau fan though does seem more concerned about how close the nearest toilet is in relation to their comfortable seat.

Football really has become soccer :(

Sorry can't agree. Glenavon have a great wee ground, arguably the best in the league. For years they have put more money into their ground than they have into the team. Other wee clubs who play on fields with a fence around it, would have no intentions of ever improving the ground so long as they were scraping through on the pitch. I'm hopeful it will be a long time before we see dross like Limavady, Armagh and DC again in the Premier League.

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 1:00 PM
Armagh have a perfectly suitable stand, a terrace and a club house. What more do they need? No point bankrupting themselves building a 1000-seater stand they'll never use just because Joe Soap might drop off his barstool and come running.

Graemerz
03/02/2009, 6:52 PM
Armagh have a perfectly suitable stand, a terrace and a club house. What more do they need? No point bankrupting themselves building a 1000-seater stand they'll never use just because Joe Soap might drop off his barstool and come running.

Not asking for a 1,000 seater stand. Although some shelter wouldn't go a miss. Dungannon and Armagh are similar clubs yet Dungannon's ground is more or less completely sheltered.

Also Armagh are a city club that brought 7 supporters to Windsor. I'm not joking either. Another good reason why they should be nowhere near the Premier League.

pineapple stu
03/02/2009, 7:51 PM
The stand has a roof. It was grand when I was there. Plenty of room for everyone at the game.

How many fans a club has is completely irrelevant. The IL has a lot of small teams.

Graemerz
03/02/2009, 9:10 PM
The stand has a roof. It was grand when I was there. Plenty of room for everyone at the game.

How many fans a club has is completely irrelevant. The IL has a lot of small teams.

The stand holds about 400 max. The stand i have no problem with, what i have a problem with is that its the only area of the ground that has shelter. Linfield have about 2,000 supporters, is it ok for 1,600 to get ball frozen and drenched?

pineapple stu
04/02/2009, 9:13 AM
Linfield don't get 2000 to most home games (2300 average including 9500 at the Glens game, so about 1700 at a normal game); they certainly don't get 2000 to away games.

If you're outside and it rains, you get wet. If you're outside and it's cold, you get cold. A stand won't do anything for the latter and won't do too much for the former if there's a bit of wind. People get far too namby pansy these days. Saying they shouldn't be in the Premier because of that is nonsense.

Graemerz
04/02/2009, 7:56 PM
Linfield don't get 2000 to most home games (2300 average including 9500 at the Glens game, so about 1700 at a normal game); they certainly don't get 2000 to away games.

If you're outside and it rains, you get wet. If you're outside and it's cold, you get cold. A stand won't do anything for the latter and won't do too much for the former if there's a bit of wind. People get far too namby pansy these days. Saying they shouldn't be in the Premier because of that is nonsense.

No harm to ya but the official figures from the JJB Sports Premiership are incorrect. I have no idea why or how, but they are.

AnnaghRed
04/02/2009, 11:42 PM
Armagh are a city club that brought 7 supporters to Windsor. I'm not joking either. Another good reason why they should be nowhere near the Premier League.

Armagh is a city in name only, its population is something round 14000 and its football affiliations have always tended toward Glenavon, with a few Portadown and Linfield scattered around.

Gotta give them a chance, its barely 20 years since they were Milford Everton.

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 11:19 AM
No harm to ya but the official figures from the JJB Sports Premiership are incorrect. I have no idea why or how, but they are.
Course they are. Everyone thinks official figures are too low because they never fit in with their own, too high, guesstimates. Don't know how many times I've seen it doing the LoI attendances thread over the years.

Bottom line - Armagh's ground is small, but it's grand and there's no reason to kick them out of the Premier because, every once in a while, Linfield visit and their fans don't like getting cold.

(I'm picking on Holm Park because I've it's the only one I've been to).

Graemerz
05/02/2009, 12:41 PM
(I'm picking on Holm Park because I've it's the only one I've been to).

I've been to every ground in the Premiership, most in the Championship and even some in the Interim. Out of all the grounds/stadiums that have hosted senior football Holm Park has been one of the worst. The worst I've been to is Limavady Showgrounds. I've heard Donegal Celtic Park is even worse than that.

pineapple stu
05/02/2009, 12:46 PM
Out of all the grounds/stadiums that have hosted senior football Holm Park has been one of the worst.
So what? One ground has to be the worst. So long as it's adequate (which it is), that's all that matters.

gufc2000
05/02/2009, 4:39 PM
What is Clandeboye Park like?
Are Bangor winding-up or are they just dropping into the Championship?

Graemerz
05/02/2009, 6:50 PM
What is Clandeboye Park like?
Are Bangor winding-up or are they just dropping into the Championship?

Bangor: http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/57/bangor2gu3.jpg
Armagh: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5357/armagh2mf1.jpg
Limavady: http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1518/limavady2ta0.jpg
Donegal Celtic: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9897/donegalceltic2du5.jpg

JerseyRed
05/02/2009, 7:15 PM
The stand holds about 400 max. The stand i have no problem with, what i have a problem with is that its the only area of the ground that has shelter. Linfield have about 2,000 supporters, is it ok for 1,600 to get ball frozen and drenched?

A bit like being in the North stand at the Sewer.

gufc2000
05/02/2009, 7:20 PM
Bangor's stadium has good cover, but not very comfortable looking. The other grounds look awful open and as for Donegal Celtic :eek:, its horrible

Graemerz
05/02/2009, 10:31 PM
Bangor's stadium has good cover, but not very comfortable looking. The other grounds look awful open and as for Donegal Celtic :eek:, its horrible

Yup, you got it right.

Graemerz
05/02/2009, 10:33 PM
A bit like being in the North stand at the Sewer.

Ask the IFA about that, its their stand, its not Linfield's concern. AFAIK though it was fixed and the only way you will get wet at Windsor is if the wind is pushing the rain in.

paudie
06/02/2009, 6:00 PM
Armagh is a city in name only, its population is something round 14000 and its football affiliations have always tended toward Glenavon, with a few Portadown and Linfield scattered around.

Gotta give them a chance, its barely 20 years since they were Milford Everton.

Thanks, didn't realise that they were ever Milford Everton

gufc2000
07/02/2009, 5:11 PM
What kind of crowds were Bangor getting?

holidaysong
07/02/2009, 5:25 PM
What kind of crowds were Bangor getting?

Their average so far this season is 451. Only Newry have a lower average.

gufc2000
07/02/2009, 7:10 PM
Bangor Chairman quoted as criticisng the fans for not turning up. Surley alls they will be doing is going throught the motions for the rest of the season. I wouldn't like to think of their crowds when the league splits, especially if they finish in the bottom six

Graemerz
08/02/2009, 1:10 AM
The problem with Bangor is that most local football supporters in the town and surrounding areas already follow the Blues or Glens.

Mr_Parker
09/02/2009, 6:26 PM

One of the main reasons cited by Bangor was their poor fanbase and in turn low income. Donegal Celtic do not appear to have suffered on that count.

Mr_Parker
09/02/2009, 6:28 PM

And who supplies these figures for publication? :rolleyes:

Graemerz
09/02/2009, 9:53 PM
One of the main reasons cited by Bangor was their poor fanbase and in turn low income. Donegal Celtic do not appear to have suffered on that count.

Aye because they have a potential 10,000. :rolleyes:

Graemerz
09/02/2009, 9:54 PM
And who supplies these figures for publication? :rolleyes:

Shrugs... don't care. They are incorrect. Happy with that?

Mr_Parker
09/02/2009, 11:14 PM
Shrugs... don't care. They are incorrect. Happy with that?

So you believe the club you support is supplying the the IFAP with incorrect figures and thus jepordising their participation agreement? :rolleyes: Pinneapple Stu got it right.