PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Civil Servant?

Peadar
20/11/2003, 1:28 PM
It has come to my attention that the majority of people posting on foot.ie are either Civil Servants or work in ICT or both.
How many people will admit to being civil servants here with such controversy over the cost of Benchmarking?
Can we be expected to cover the cost of Benchmarking when so many civil servants spend so much time doing nothing but posting on Internet forums?

Xlex
20/11/2003, 1:46 PM
I'm not a civil serpant... and no to benchmarking...
:eek:
Who are ICT?

Peadar
20/11/2003, 1:49 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
Who are ICT?

IT (Information Technology) is more commonly being referred to as ICT (Information Communication Technology) now.
So that includes you Xlex.

Xlex
20/11/2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
IT (Information Technology) is more commonly being referred to as ICT (Information Communication Technology) now.
So that includes you Xlex.

strictly speaking no, I'm probably closer to being a civil servant seeing as I spend half my day waiting for a thread to reply too...:o

thanks for making me feel good Peader... :mad:

Dodge
20/11/2003, 2:09 PM
I'm neither Peader;)

pete
20/11/2003, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
I'm neither Peader;)

But you supposed to be? :D

Never heard the ICT thing before but what do I know...

Web access is one of few perks of my job. Thank god we not monitored too much (i think) or limited to use at certain times of day. :eek:

I'm sure I could think of a few excuse for all my foot.ie posts if needed :)

I'll also keep my opinions on benchmarking to other forums so as not to offend people.

gustavo
20/11/2003, 3:03 PM
whaqt about lazy students ? im sure we take up a good percentage:)

Dodge
20/11/2003, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by pete
Web access is one of few perks of my job. Thank god we not monitored too much (i think) or limited to use at certain times of day. :eek:
It is the only perk in my job...

We are monitored though.

Oh and if you take the cost of all the time I've spent on the net and added to my measly civil servants salary I still wouldn't get a decent wage :p

Gary
20/11/2003, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
whaqt about lazy students ? im sure we take up a good percentage:)

Using my tax money you sweaty smelly long haired bum. Go study or get a job will ya.

:p :D

Peadar
20/11/2003, 3:16 PM
We are monitored though.

That's for sure!
:D :D :D

SÓC
20/11/2003, 3:41 PM
Less of the Civil Servant heckling.

I work hard to earn my yoyos.

Ok maybe my posts on foot.ie have double since I started working here but like so has my efficency Im sure, the benchmarking report told me so.

:D

Seriously though as both a student waster and a civil servant I think civil servants waste a lot more tax payers money than students.

max power
20/11/2003, 4:13 PM
peader, there is this fool walkin around a government building upgrading the e mail system and he follows those fools cork city and does little or nothing all day, any ideas who he is ???????????????????

he seems to be wasting a lot of tax payers money........paid by the hour i take it.................................

being a civil servent is bad but telling people your leaving to go to college in ucd is even worse

WeAreRovers
20/11/2003, 4:33 PM
I'm a public servant (it's different) with broadband internet access and yes, benchmarking rules!

KOH

max power
20/11/2003, 4:34 PM
a rovers fan with a job wow !!!!

Macy
20/11/2003, 4:39 PM
I'm a public servant as well, and try living on the wages and then say we don't deserve the increase.....

Shed End John
20/11/2003, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by max power
a rovers fan with a job wow !!!!

:D :D Not too many of those around I'm betting.

Peadar
21/11/2003, 8:50 AM
peader, there is this fool walkin around a government building upgrading the e mail system and he follows those fools cork city and does little or nothing all day, any ideas who he is ???????????????????

That's terrible, you should report him.
You'd want to be careful who you give your contracts to.
There's a lot of cowboys out there.
It is public spending afterall.
Although I'm sure the Cork rogue finished the work 2 weeks ahead of schedule and well within budget so he might be handy to keep around.
I don't envy him though, working with cival servants can't be easy.
I've noticed that at least 3 regular posters who're civil servants have failed to contribute to this thread.
The truth hurts eh?

liamon
21/11/2003, 8:51 AM
Originally posted by Macy
I'm a public servant as well, and try living on the wages and then say we don't deserve the increase.....

If you're job doesn't pay enough, then why not try to move on to a REAL job. Somewhere where you actually contribute something to the world, rather than sucking taxpayers money into a bottomless pit of red tape and inefficiency.

Benchmarking's a rip off.

max power
21/11/2003, 8:57 AM
pedar the worst thing is when you meet him at 6 in the evening and he says he's been upstairs for 2 hours drinking wine and eating food, more then likely paid for by tax payers, i was going to send an e mail of complaint but the e mail crashed twice on me yesterday.

this fella has a t shirt saying i love pd, i asked was he a mary harney fan and he said no that be meant pat dolan.

Peadar
21/11/2003, 9:01 AM
this fella has a t shirt saying i love pd, i asked was he a mary harney fan and he said no that be meant pat dolan.

All credit to him for being able to tell Mary H and Pat D apart.
I think they were identical twins seperated at birth.
If you see him again can you ask him where he got the t-shirt?
I hope that guy didn't continue on to the pub after drinking wine in the office and end up getting home at 03:30?
He'd be in an awful state this morning if he did!

Dodge
21/11/2003, 9:02 AM
It couldn't have been Peader then...

Macy
21/11/2003, 9:09 AM
Originally posted by liamon
rather than sucking taxpayers money into a bottomless pit of red tape and inefficiency.

Benchmarking's a rip off.
That's the point of benchmarking - they'll be change in work practices for the money (and there is going to be change here, whatever about the civils with photo's on organisational charts bs)

Peadar
21/11/2003, 9:09 AM
It couldn't have been Peader then...

In at 10:00 away at 15:30 eh Dodge?
That's what I like to see, Flexi-time at it's best :D
Since Max P was in so early he's finished at 11:30 today.
Appartently he's off to his local salon for another haircut he enjoyed the last one so much.
Wont be long before the salon is replaced by a chipper though and the people of Longford will have to go back to cutting each others hair again. Those quirky/crazy styles they come up with are so entertaining.

max power
21/11/2003, 9:20 AM
ah now come on its a lovely hair cut, it took me 12 months to get it done so i'm proud of myself,
i'm thinkin of gettin the old hi lites in next week so i can go for the westlife look, what do ya think ???

Dodge
21/11/2003, 9:42 AM
In at 10:00 away at 15:30 eh Dodge?

I ****ing wish... In at 8.30

On my clock I'm currently +37 hours (which means I'm going to lose 25 of them)

max power
21/11/2003, 9:46 AM
well dodge aren't you a fool workin up all them hours. i'm 65 down and proud of it, a true civil servent, a bit of inventive talkin on the adjustment sheet and a pint for the supervisor and fanny's your aunt your 12 hours up, a with a life, i was still in bed at half 9 this morning

Peadar
21/11/2003, 9:49 AM
i'm thinkin of gettin the old hi lites in next week so i can go for the westlife look, what do ya think ???

You do remind me a bit of Bryan alright :D

I ****ing wish... In at 8.30

Careful now or you'll get reported for being too keen.
Notice how wws isn't in yet?
Lazy bastad.
He's the sort of bloke who gives benchmarking a bad name!

Macy
21/11/2003, 9:52 AM
On my clock I'm currently +37 hours (which means I'm going to lose 25 of them)
Leave in lieu for the Christmas shut down - sorted....

Peadar
21/11/2003, 9:55 AM
The validity of this thread has been entirely vindicated!
I rest my case...

liamon
21/11/2003, 10:00 AM
That's the point of benchmarking - they'll be change in work practices for the money (and there is going to be change here, whatever about the civils with photo's on organisational charts bs)

I remain unconvinced.

Dodge
21/11/2003, 10:06 AM
Leave in lieu for the Christmas shut down - sorted....
No, just lost...

max power
21/11/2003, 10:31 AM
sorry i haven't replyed i've been on my morning hour break before i come back for 20 mins and then off on my 2 hour lunch, then afternoon break and then home at 4.

Peadar
21/11/2003, 10:39 AM
i've been on my morning hour break...

There was a time when I would have laughed at that but sadly I now know you're serious.

James
24/11/2003, 8:45 AM
I've noticed that at least 3 regular posters who're civil servants have failed to contribute to this thread.
The truth hurts eh?

time to name names teaboy

Peadar
24/11/2003, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by James
time to name names teaboy

If you're up for the U21 Final James I might point some of them out. ;)

max power
24/11/2003, 3:39 PM
i see some very lazy people walking around the passport office today trying toflog cheap computers, they must have spent all the other money on wine last week.....

James
24/11/2003, 3:44 PM
If you're up for the U21 Final James I might point some of them out. ;)

sry peader thats a school night, some of us actually have work to do ya know

Peadar
25/11/2003, 8:55 AM
i see some very lazy people walking around the passport office today

Did you go there during your 2 hour lunch break or is there a special break for skiving off in Molesworth St.?

Originally posted by James
some of us actually have work to do

You're in the wrong job so James, check .
this (http://www.publicjobs.gov.ie/) out...

You'll never have to work a day in your life again.

Plastic Paddy
25/11/2003, 9:12 AM
lol... have just found this thread. Guess what I do? Yep, I'm a c**** s****** too... :cool:

:D PP

SÓC
25/11/2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
lol... have just found this thread. Guess what I do? Yep, I'm a c**** s****** too... :cool:

Whats it like in Britian? Is it as.....challenging....as the Irish Civil Service.

Im going working for the Welsh Civil service after Christmas and Im worried that they actually work

Peadar
25/11/2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Im going working for the Welsh Civil service after Christmas and Im worried that they actually work

I did 15 months in Britain on a contract for the Civil Service and the major problems came from Wales.
The were the least effecient and least available.
Nobody wanted to deal with them.
Belfast, London, Lancashire in general and Newcastle were the best of a bad lot.

Plastic Paddy
25/11/2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Whats it like in Britian? Is it as.....challenging....as the Irish Civil Service.

Don't lose any sleep over it. You'll have plenty of time to catch up on your zees when you come and work over here... ;)

pete
25/11/2003, 12:02 PM
I did 15 months in Britain on a contract for the Civil Service and the major problems came from Wales.
The were the least effecient and least available.
Nobody wanted to deal with them.
Belfast, London, Lancashire in general and Newcastle were the best of a bad lot.

Ah sure if they weren't so bad then they'd not need to outsource work to those expensive conytractors. ;)

Peadar
25/11/2003, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by pete
Ah sure if they weren't so bad then they'd not need to outsource

Outsourcing is the only way anything gets done in the world.
If I had my way the whole public sector would be outsourced, government and all.