PDA

View Full Version : Is Cook coming back?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Town Legend
01/02/2009, 4:35 PM
Is Cook on his way back to Sligo? Major fundraiser underway to get him back.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1207/

HarpoJoyce
01/02/2009, 4:41 PM
Is Cook on his way back to Sligo? Major fundraiser underway to get him back.

The Sixty-Thousand euro question.

There's a tiny vociferous group of UCD fans who hate the fact Sligo Rovers fans get an opportunity to put money into SRFC.

Town Legend
01/02/2009, 4:46 PM
Was just on the Sligo page and they were saying 50000 was what was needed and now its 60000. Is the extra 10000 making its way to the chairmans back pocket?!!!

Only joking of course...........or am I????:D

micls
01/02/2009, 4:51 PM
Strange.

What happens if half the people that join up lose their jobs mid season and have to cancel etc. Theres a lot that could go wrong with it.

Theres a reason their budgets were rejected(which sligo fans dispute). If Cook can't work with the money they have then he's not the right man for the job. I get he wants more, but its not there. I understand the fans want to push on and challenge,do well in Europe etc but trust me its not worth risking the stability of your club for.

Especially for one man.

Buile Shuibhne
01/02/2009, 4:53 PM
........ Paul Cook will remain Sligo Rovers' manager on the condition that sixty thousand euro is raised in the next two weeks to fund the income of two new players.

If this money is raised before Valentine's Day, Sligo's budget will be increased by the FAI and only then will Cook retake the Sligo mangerial position.

Can the budget - as part of the Licence application - be adjusted at this late stage on Feb 14th? In another thread here it says the First Instance cmtee are meeting on Feb 15th (presumably to issue the licences)?

Is the full 60k to be used to pay the 2 players or just 65% of it?

Battery Rover
01/02/2009, 5:16 PM
Can the budget - as part of the Licence application - be adjusted at this late stage on Feb 14th?

Budgets are projections of income and expenditure so If more money comes in the yes you would be allowed spend more as long as you don't go over 65% of total income.

All clubs throughout the season have to send in monthly management accounts and explain anymore than a 10% difference to the FAI.

Fivesilver
01/02/2009, 7:10 PM
There's a tiny vociferous group of UCD fans who hate the fact Sligo Rovers fans get an opportunity to put money into SRFC.

If they go to the Bit o' Red Supporters' Trust website, they can sign up and put money into Rovers too. ;)

Terry
01/02/2009, 8:03 PM
Was told this morning that Cooke was never leaving at all, as he has been in talks with Alan Keane from Galway for a while now, and he'll be signing for them on his return from Australia in 2 weeks time.

SligoBrewer
01/02/2009, 8:07 PM
Was told this morning that Cook was never leaving at all, as he has been in talks with Alan Keane from Galway for a while now, and he'll be signing for them on his return from Australia in 2 weeks time.

Fixed that for you.;)

gufct
01/02/2009, 8:49 PM
it sounds like a scam devised by Toolan.

Sean South
01/02/2009, 8:58 PM
The Galway obsession continues...

Tir Oilean
01/02/2009, 9:26 PM
Where was Cook gonna go anyway? Drogheda?? Doubt it.

brianw82
01/02/2009, 9:27 PM
On RTE now:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0201/sligorovers.html

micls
01/02/2009, 10:16 PM
On the whole Valentines Day thing, whats gonna happen if the moneys not raised.

Trying to find a new manager and give him only 2 weeks before the season starts?

Makes no sense to me. If he's threatening to go, then let him go now, get someone new in and give him time to settle and get to know the squad., If the money does get raised then great, give it to the new guy to increase his squad.

Cook is good, but this stinks of desperation. Are Sligo fans not getting annoyed at the board with this rubbish? First it was raise 130k or we go under, and the fans did great but how does a club go from that close to going under to making a profit?

Now its raise 60k or lose the manager you love. Scaremongering much?

brianw82
01/02/2009, 10:34 PM
On the whole Valentines Day thing, whats gonna happen if the moneys not raised.

Trying to find a new manager and give him only 2 weeks before the season starts?

Makes no sense to me. If he's threatening to go, then let him go now, get someone new in and give him time to settle and get to know the squad., If the money does get raised then great, give it to the new guy to increase his squad.

Cook is good, but this stinks of desperation. Are Sligo fans not getting annoyed at the board with this rubbish? First it was raise 130k or we go under, and the fans did great but how does a club go from that close to going under to making a profit?

Now its raise 60k or lose the manager you love. Scaremongering much?

I have to say that I agree with all this.

It's one thing to beg for money when the club is threatened with extinction, but to try and raise 60,000 JUST to sign 2 players for the coming season? It's not going to go down well with the public. Sligo hasn't been that badly hit by job losses as yet, but that possibility is always there. I expect several retail outlets to close this year, and people aren't going to be foolish with their money when job security is low.

To hell with it, I say. Get a new manager in, get down to business with the 14 senior pros, and get some A-Team/U-20 players up to speed to fill the gaps. If the money isn't there, then it isn't there. We must move on.

SligoBrewer
01/02/2009, 10:47 PM
I have to say that I agree with all this.

It's one thing to beg for money when the club is threatened with extinction, but to try and raise 60,000 JUST to sign 2 players for the coming season? It's not going to go down well with the public. Sligo hasn't been that badly hit by job losses as yet, but that possibility is always there. I expect several retail outlets to close this year, and people aren't going to be foolish with their money when job security is low.

To hell with it, I say. Get a new manager in, get down to business with the 14 senior pros, and get some A-Team/U-20 players up to speed to fill the gaps. If the money isn't there, then it isn't there. We must move on.

14 players for 55 games. Are you for real?

sullanefc
01/02/2009, 10:55 PM

Spending money you don't have. Are you for real?

micls
01/02/2009, 10:58 PM

You missed the a team/u20s comment.

Simple question for you from someone who's been there

Success on the pitch or putting your clubs existence in jeopardy. Which do you choose?

SligoBrewer
01/02/2009, 11:00 PM
Spending money you don't have. Are you for real?

We haven't spent anything yet.

Also we must have sixty thousand by Valentine's Day in order to prove we aren't spending money we don't have. If it's raised, it'll be fantastic.

brianw82
01/02/2009, 11:19 PM
We haven't spent anything yet.

Also we must have sixty thousand by Valentine's Day in order to prove we aren't spending money we don't have. If it's raised, it'll be fantastic.

I don't understand this comment. If our budget, as it stands, has been accepted by the FAI then we're not spending money we don't have.

Town Legend
02/02/2009, 1:23 AM
And what if Sligo fans raise the 60000 and for some reason during the season or maybe next Cook will up and leave??? How will ye feel then?? Or if these 2 players he wants come in and are total flops, get injured in their first game or even if their brought in and after a couple of weeks realise they don't want to be with Sligo and are gone by the summer????? Fair enough he did well for ye and all but the manager is as bad as the club asking the fans to raise the transfer monies. Is it not good enough paying into every game and contributing to the clubs lotto not enough???? Rarely do you hear of faithful in football so think Sligo should just look for a new manager and move on with there 14 troops and A players.

Mr A
02/02/2009, 8:42 AM
Most people just aren't going to buy a club complaining about the FAI limiting their budget within a few months of them saying they urgently needed funds or would go under. Of course they don't bloody trust you, you went into last season with a big outstanding tax bill that nearly had you out of football half way through the year! And you're an LOI club, very few of which can be trusted to mind their own house.

Not that Harps and others haven't tried, with some success also, to use the same sort of tactics to drum up funds. It's a dangerous and short-sighted game though. I would far rather see clubs identify some infrastructural upgrade say they won't get a license without it, and fundraise for that. At least you'd have something to show for it in a few years time.

A face
02/02/2009, 9:17 AM
And what if Sligo fans raise the 60000 and for some reason during the season or maybe next Cook will up and leave??? How will ye feel then?? Or if these 2 players he wants come in and are total flops, get injured in their first game or even if their brought in and after a couple of weeks realise they don't want to be with Sligo and are gone by the summer????? Fair enough he did well for ye and all but the manager is as bad as the club asking the fans to raise the transfer monies. Is it not good enough paying into every game and contributing to the clubs lotto not enough???? Rarely do you hear of faithful in football so think Sligo should just look for a new manager and move on with there 14 troops and A players.

Agree. And is this going to have to happen every year in Sligo. €60,000 ... i'd rather spend it on another CPO for three years and maybe get another €60,000 through the gates as a result.

Claret Murph
02/02/2009, 9:50 AM
If this was the 1st of April we would all be laughting by now .
Really you would be hard pressed to make up better stories on Emmerdale .

Thia is in no way disrepectfull to our Sligo friends here .

pineapple stu
02/02/2009, 10:25 AM
Can I suggest you show me posts backing that up, or shut up with the trolling?

dublinred
02/02/2009, 11:06 AM
If this was the 1st of April we would all be laughting by now .
Really you would be hard pressed to make up better stories on Emmerdale .

Thia is in no way disrepectfull to our Sligo friends here .

Hardly a laughing matter a significaltly reduced budget has twice been rejected by the FAI who have in turn given us a first divison budget for a club competing in 5 competitions , they have then come up with a new rule that if we put 60k cash upfront we they will approve our original scaled down budget.

Dodge
02/02/2009, 11:11 AM
The FAI didn't give you any budget. Sligo showed their budget to the FAI and the FAI pointed out discrepencies and, probably, laughed at them

The rules are quite clear. You can spend 65% of what you bring in on players' salaries. If Sligo prove they can bring in €1 millio, they'd have been allowed spend €650,000 on wages. The rules are there for the good of al clubs.

Blaming the FAI, or anyone else, is ridiculous

micls
02/02/2009, 11:16 AM
Hardly a laughing matter a significaltly reduced budget has twice been rejected by the FAI
Not at all. In fact it would make you wonder about the people putting together these budgets...the same people who got you into trouble last year?

who have in turn given us a first divison budget for a club competing in 5 competitions ,
What division you are in, or how many competitions you are in is completely irrelevant.

If all you could afford is a team that would get you relegated then all you should get is a team that gets you relegated.

they have then come up with a new rule that if we put 60k cash upfront we they will approve our original scaled down budget.
Id imagine what they've done is given ye an extension to try to raise the extra cash necessary to increase you budget...most would thank them for that Id imagine.

Did Sligo fans miss you financial meltdown last year? Are you seriously trying to tell us we should trust the lads that got ye into that mess over the FAI. Comon, Im not their biggest fan but they certainly dont want clubs going bust.

You screwed up royally last year which nearly led to you going out of existence(according to your board) now you are suffering the consequences of not being trusted to run yourselves in a proper manner. I'd say you are far from the only club being treated in this manner(Id expect us to be another).

I get you want success, to push on and do well in Europe, but if your budget is unrealistic then you need to be told so, because last year showed you cant be trusted to realise it yourselves.

Rory H
02/02/2009, 11:17 AM
I think it's brilliant. Only we could put ourselves in the situation:D

If people want to give, they will. Some won't and I really doubt we'll make 60k . But might as well try. It would make a huge difference to the team....

micls
02/02/2009, 11:22 AM
I think it's brilliant. Only we could put ourselves in the situation:D

If people want to give, they will. Some won't and I really doubt we'll make 60k . But might as well try. It would make a huge difference to the team....

Yeah its not the fundraising itself that's strange, just think its a bit of a risk to wait around that long without a set manager.

Times are tough though and trying to get that kind of money out of people for non-essentials wont be easy.

It was different for Drogs, people will make the sacrifice to save your club from extinction but people might find it a bit cheeky to be asked for it to bring in a few players given the economic climate, especially given the fundraising down last year.

dublinred
02/02/2009, 11:42 AM
The FAI didn't give you any budget. Sligo showed their budget to the FAI and the FAI pointed out discrepencies and, probably, laughed at them

The rules are quite clear. You can spend 65% of what you bring in on players' salaries. If Sligo prove they can bring in €1 millio, they'd have been allowed spend €650,000 on wages. The rules are there for the good of al clubs.

Blaming the FAI, or anyone else, is ridiculous

The FAI do not have the ability to spot a discrepancy this is the same organsiation that reckon they will have no problem flogging premium tickets for Lansdowne road , called Galway United a model club and didn't see the Shels , Cork or Drogheda situations coming.

From what i am hearing they looked at the budget and then knocked a random % off it.

micls
02/02/2009, 11:43 AM
The FAI do not have the ability to spot a discrepancy this is the same organsiation that reckon they will have no porblem flogging premium tickets for Lansdowne road , called Galway United a model club and didn't see the Shels , Cork or Drogheda .

From what i am hearing they looked at the budget and then knocked a random % off it.

As opposed to your board of genius'? I know who Im more likely to believe

Mr A
02/02/2009, 11:43 AM
F.A.I statement

Football Association of Ireland

February 2nd, 2009

FAI Statement

Further to Sligo Rovers’ statement of Sunday February 1, the FAI wishes to clarify that it rejected two budgets from the management committee of Sligo Rovers only because they were unsustainable and would have led to financial difficulties for the club.

Sadly, it has been necessary this close season for the FAI to take a stronger stance on budgets if clubs are unwilling to act prudently themselves. This is in the interests of a sustainable and financially viable League of Ireland and applies to all clubs in the League. While we will continue with this policy, it remains the obligation of the directors and management committees of clubs to run their affairs in a responsible manner.

The FAI also feels obliged to clarify that under the Salary Cost Protocol adopted by all League of Ireland clubs under the participation agreement, no more than 65% of relevant income may be spent on players.

ENDS

dublinred
02/02/2009, 12:03 PM
As opposed to your board of genius'? I know who Im more likely to believe

No brainer , I would go with the people who appointed Paul Cook over the muppets who appointed a world class manager called em Steve Staunton.....

garyderry
The FAI do not have the ability to spot a discrepancy this is the same organsiation that reckon they will have no problem flogging premium tickets for Lansdowne road , called Galway United a model club and didn't see the Shels , Cork or Drogheda situations coming.

They had nothing to do with the league when $hel$ went bust, cant blame them for that. Also its pretty clear they could see a disaster coming corks way, they asked for guarentees from the owner, it turned out not enough and rather useless, but it was clear at the start of last season they foreseen the mess cork could have gotten into. its early days for the FAI, but they seem to be learning fast, given the rejected budgets this season.

Dodge

Imagine how bad your budget was when even the (above noted) FAI could spot how much of a joke it was

Aye, that'll be what happened :rolleyes:

passerrby
02/02/2009, 12:16 PM
Hardly a laughing matter a significaltly reduced budget has twice been rejected by the FAI who have in turn given us a first divison budget for a club competing in 5 competitions , they have then come up with a new rule that if we put 60k cash upfront we they will approve our original scaled down budget.

I would suspect that the fai reluctance to grant you your first budget was based on your spending/income from last season. and while i have no idea what this budget was i dearly hope sligo where not attempting to repeat the mistakes of last season.
my biggest fear is that some clubs have learned nothing from the last few seasons disasters and are still chasing the holy grail

pineapple stu
02/02/2009, 12:19 PM
my biggest fear is that some clubs have learned nothing from the last few seasons disasters and are still chasing the holy grail
Agreed; quite ridiculous.

For all the FAI's failings in the past (and there are many), they deserve credit here for finally doing what so many people had suggested they do.

gufct
02/02/2009, 12:21 PM

Its not a new rule .There is always a chance for a club to up their budget if they get extra income they havent allowed for in their original Budget. Sligo are getting €60k from Everton where is this going?

SRFCbrothelutd
02/02/2009, 12:21 PM

micls
02/02/2009, 1:01 PM
No brainer , I would go with the people who appointed Paul Cook over the muppets who appointed a world class manager called em Steve Staunton.....

:rolleyes:

Alright lad. Trust the lads who had ye raising 130k just to stay in business last year....

Maybe if the FAI had done this last year ye'd have avoided that completely.

But if you wanna believe theres no way these same fella could possibly get this years budget wrong then work away....

osarusan
02/02/2009, 2:42 PM

You mean you would rather go with the people who brought your club to financial ruin last year over the people who appointed Trappatoni.....

Rovers1
02/02/2009, 3:44 PM
only in Sligo...eh?...phhft

SkStu
02/02/2009, 4:02 PM
only in Sligo...eh?...phhft

is that supposed to be a silent fart??

HarpoJoyce
02/02/2009, 4:04 PM
Can I suggest you show me posts backing that up, or shut up with the trolling?

The world of Irish Football Comment doesn't revolve around this= or any other message board. You are unlucky.

Rovers1
02/02/2009, 4:05 PM
is that supposed to be a silent fart??

no, i let the air out of my balloon.

pineapple stu
02/02/2009, 4:05 PM
The world of Irish Football Comment doesn't revolve around this= or any other message board. You are unlucky.
Back up your post, or shut up. Plain and simple. Not the first time (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1039613&postcount=93) you've posted stuff like this and failed to provide a single link when asked.

WoodquayBoy
02/02/2009, 4:11 PM
They weren't running the league when Shels went ar.se over ti.t, you can't blame them for 'missing' the Cork thing, but - and heaven forgive me for saying this - give them credit for possibly preventing another 'Shels' by rejecting Sligo's budget.

dublinred
02/02/2009, 4:29 PM
They weren't running the league when Shels went ar.se over ti.t, you can't blame them for 'missing' the Cork thing, but - and heaven forgive me for saying this - give them credit for possibly preventing another 'Shels' by rejecting Sligo's budget.

"Drama Queens" we are nowhere near Shels proportions I am hearing the FAI have given us a budget of 8k a week whereas we had already cut it back to 10k a week which we were comfortable with for the second part of last season i think it was in the region of 20k at the beginning of last season and there was a tax liability carried over which subsequently has been cleared.

Schumi
02/02/2009, 5:04 PM
the FAI have given us a budget of 8k a week whereas we had already cut it back to 10k a week which we were comfortable with for the second part of last season.I'd have thought you were unlikely to get the same level of sponsorship this season as you did last year with the economy the way it is. A reduction in budget from what you could raise last year doesn't seem unreasonable.